The Duchess of Cornwall's Patronages

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Duchess of Cornwall as Patron of the Helen & Douglas House visited the Helen & Douglas House in Oxford today, July 13:

Here's a video from today's visit to Helen & Douglas House Hospice in Oxfordshire

Here's a video from today's visit to Helen & Douglas House Hospice in Oxfordshire

Great. It is often under-reported how good Camilla is at engagements like this, spending time with families going through a difficult time with children that have been very ill.

Everything Camilla does, she does for the people and it's never a dog and pony show with bells and whistles and the lights of a fashion runway. She's down to earth and is sincere and pleasant to meet and greet and she does it all because she wants to and not because she has to. She's not after headlines and accolades and recognition at all.

Kind of describes the good qualities of a Queen-to-be. I think Charles has hit the jackpot in marrying Camilla.

:previous: I totally agree, Camilla has not pursued flashy, high profile causes to champion. She sticks to what she knows she can actually do to help or inspire others to help, to innovate, to support.

• Patron of the Helen & Douglas House
  • Joined HorseBack UK as the charity's patron
  • President of the Royal Voluntary Service
  • President of the WOW - Women of the World Foundation
  • Patron of the National Literacy Trust
  • President of the Royal Osteoporosis Society
That is just a small slice of her workload which, at 73 and going from an upmarket housewife to a working royal with a need for innate diplomacy, is no small feat.

:previous: I totally agree, Camilla has not pursued flashy, high profile causes to champion. She sticks to what she knows she can actually do to help or inspire others to help, to innovate, to support.

That is just a small slice of her workload which, at 73 and going from an upmarket housewife to a working royal with a need for innate diplomacy, is no small feat.

Very well said. That transition, from upper class house wife to working royal, later in life would not have been easy, but she seems to have pulled it off.

The Duchess of Cornwall has become Royal Patron of Nigeria's first sexual assault referral center, The Mirabel Centre.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTg4wdIgMqO/

Article

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...-Nigerias-sexual-assault-referral-centre.html

What an honour ... and usual that a centre in the Republic of Nigeria would have a Royal Patron.

The Duchess of Cornwall is a veritable asset to the Royal Family

Last edited by a moderator:
So pleased that this center has opened for women in Nigeria and that Camilla has agreed to take on the patronage.

The Duchess of Cornwall is a veritable asset to the Royal Family

I think Camilla is the most unsung hero of the senior working royals and she doesn't go around seeking accolades either. She does what she wants to do or has to do and does it very well to the best of her ability. If things hadn't gone the way they did, I'm sure the majority of the public would be really looking forward to a Queen Camilla when the time does come.

I seem to remember that Camilla was leery of taking on such a public role but to watch her now, she seems to have been born to it. ?

"The Duchess of Cornwall has today taken on the Patronage of Silver Stories, a new charity which links young schoolchildren by telephone so that they can read to isolated older people. ��

The Duchess enjoyed a call with some young readers earlier this week, who told HRH how much they enjoy spending time reciting stories to the older generation."

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUj3At5Iico/

"The Duchess of Cornwall has today taken on the Patronage of Silver Stories, a new charity which links young schoolchildren by telephone so that they can read to isolated older people. ��

The Duchess enjoyed a call with some young readers earlier this week, who told HRH how much they enjoy spending time reciting stories to the older generation."

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUj3At5Iico/

Great initiative, wish Silver Stories the very best!

Great initiative, wish Silver Stories the very best!

I do too. What a great initiative. Not only is it person to person contact but without knowing it, these young readers will grow adept at reading out loud, appreciate reading more and that's boosting a skill that will never leave them.

Camilla and her reading/literacy initiatives. The more she does, the more she earns my respect.

The Duchess of Cornwall as Patron of Battersea Dogs & Cats Home has dressed her rescue dogs Bluebell and Beth with Wear Blue for Rescue bandanas in support of the new Battersea campaign. Too cute ;)

** Twitter post **

The Duchess of Cornwall as Patron of Battersea Dogs & Cats Home has dressed her rescue dogs Bluebell and Beth with Wear Blue for Rescue bandanas in support of the new Battersea campaign. Too cute ;)

** Twitter post **

Well done to Camilla to dress her dogs with bandana's in support of Battersea Dogs.

There is something about a rescue dog that you just can't resist and ever since Camilla came face to face with her rescue dogs, Bluebell and Beth, that was it. They weren't just dogs that Camilla rescued, they became part of the family and will join in with their "mama" to support Battersea so that other rescue dogs have a chance.

As a dedicated dog mama, every furbaby we've had has been a rescue dog. It meshes well with me so much because I guess I was a "rescue kid".

Camilla's love for animals, I believe, is what first really made me warm up to the woman and I've been getting hotter degrees of warming up to her ever since! :D

Completely agree - always adopt a rescue if you can rather than get a puppy or worse - order a puppy/ kitten.

As President of the Royal Osteoporosis Society the Duchess of Cornwall hosted a tea party to mark World Osteoporosis Day today, October 20:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

The Duchess of Cornwall as Colonel-in-Chief of The Rifles and Royal Colonel of the 4th Battalion The Rifles attended a Medals Parade at New Normandy Barracks in Aldershot on October 21:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

Here is Camilla's powerful speech given today.

https://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/sp...rnwall-reception-recognise-shameless-festival

Last March, shortly before the first lockdown, I came to the WOW Festival at the Southbank Centre. In her introductory speech, Jude asked us to put up our hands if we could imagine a world in which violence against women did not exist. The reaction was mixed. Some hands flew up; some remained firmly planted in laps; most of us glanced at each other, rather taken aback. Dared we even dream of a world without rape and sexual abuse? Or were we too indoctrinated into believing that violence against women is normal, just “one of those things”, part and parcel of being born female…?
This country has been appalled and saddened by the loss of women to violence this year. On average, one women is killed by a man every three days. Sarah Everard, Sabina Nessa, Wenjing Lin, Geetika Goyal and Bennylyn Burke are names which, with all the others, must never be forgotten.
Each one of these women endured unimaginable torment – and their loved ones who are left behind continue to suffer in the wake of their deaths. On 30th September, Sarah Everard’s mother stood before her daughter’s killer to give her searing victim impact statement. She said, “If Sarah had died because of an illness, she would have been cared for. We could have looked after her and been with her. If she had died because of an accident, people would have tried to help - there would have been kindness. But there is no comfort to be had, there is no consoling thought in the way Sarah died. In her last hours, she was faced with brutality and terror, alone with someone intent on doing her harm. The thought of it is unbearable. I am haunted by the horror of it."
I know that all of you today join me in paying tribute to all these precious lives that have been brutally ended, and in renewing our commitment to do everything we can to end violence against women.
The challenges are immense. The Crime Survey for England and Wales shows that 144,000 women were victims of rape or attempted rape in the last year for which these figures are available. This equates to roughly 16 of the most serious sexual offences every hour. Sixteen every hour.
On the same day that Wayne Couzens was arrested, a survey was published stating that 86 per cent of young women in the UK have been sexually harassed in a public place. This included women who had been followed and coerced into sexual activity – all while in a public place. Even more shockingly, of these young women, 96% did not report the incidents. It is, as almost all women know, a deeply disturbing experience to be sexually harassed. Yet somehow, a culture of silence has grown up, in which these women conceal their experiences of such offences. Why? There are, of course, many explanations. But there is one significant reason on which we are focussing today. Shame.
Shame is one of the most powerful emotions felt after sexual violation. The victim feels invaded and dirty; weakened by having been put in a position of helplessness by someone stronger – possibly by someone whom she previously trusted. Often, this sense of shame causes the victim to blame herself, mistakenly take responsibility for the crime, and want to hide away from others. And yet she has done nothing wrong.
I said that the challenges are immense. However, the forthcoming Festival gives us hope that they can be overcome. There are, I believe, two important steps we can take as we aim to create the world free from violence against women that Jude has pointed us towards.
Firstly, we have Shameless. Together, today, let us resolve to support survivors to be “shameless” and not to take on misplaced feelings of stigma. Through speaking up about our experiences, we break the wall of silence that allows perpetrators to go unpunished; and increases the feeling of isolation that so many survivors describe.
Secondly, we need to get the men in our lives involved in this movement. We do not, in any way, hold all men responsible for sexual violence. But we do need them all on board to tackle it. After all, rapists are not born, they are constructed. And it takes an entire community – male and female – to dismantle the lies, words and actions that foster a culture in which sexual assault is seen as normal, and in which it shames the victim. So let us all leave here today and try and get the men in our lives to participate in building a “shameless” society.
Because how many more women must be harassed, raped or murdered before we truly unite to forge a violence-free world?
Thank you.

Here's the video of Camilla delivering her speech at the SHAMELESS festival.

Oh wow! What an amazing and powerful speech. ?

Powerful speech indeed.
[....}

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom