The Duchess of Cornwall Current Events 14: October 2013 - September 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Duchess of Cornwall tells how she wants to 'shine a light on the violence hiding in the dark corners of our society’ http://t.co/QFUIrR3jQW

I will be interested in reading this. I don't know if ANY royal can sprinkle royal fairy dust on this problem and make it better. Bold move to take this one on.
I mean any royal !! I'm not saying this because it's Camila. I know they take on mental health visting jails etc.
I just don't see a visit by a royal "shinning a light on it " can help.
Please note this is JMO.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

:previous: This is not a new cause for Camilla; it's a long term one that she's spent a lot of time on. Camilla Parker Bowles urges nation to build a future in which sex crimes are not tolerated | Daily Mail Online; Brave mother whose rape agony inspired Camilla to act: How duchess was moved profoundly by story of woman who was scarred by brutal gang rape aged 16 | Daily Mail Online

I think that this is one of those issues that will benefit by having light shone on it, much like the land mines and AIDS issues Diana gave her time to. Victims of this sort of violence need to be encouraged to speak about their experiences and not to feel ashamed or feel they are to blame for what was done to them. For far too long sexual violence has been tolerated by our society and the victims blamed and shamed into keeping quiet, resulting in too many men getting away with the crime. Things are changing, but having the support of a high-profile woman like Camilla to draw attention to the issue is of great help.

To me land mines was a cause that governments could do something about and AIDS awareness did change things.
But I don't see the Camilla's involvement will stop rape it might help people who want to talk about it
But I'm not sure about that

To me land mines was a cause that governments could do something about and AIDS awareness did change things.
But I don't see the Camilla's involvement will stop rape it might help people who want to talk about it

I think the aim is to bring awareness more to the forefront to help the victims of violence and sex crimes realize that they are not alone and to stress the fact that they've been victimized and help is available.

I don't know about the UK, but we now have a Minister for the Prevention of Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault: New anti-domestic violence minister Pru Goward highlights prevention

Minister for the Prevention of Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault, Minister for Mental Health, Minister for Medical Research, Minister for Women, Assistant Minister for Health - Ministers

I don't think Camilla's involvement will stop rape, but I do think that having high profile spokespeople promotes awareness which can ultimately help lead to change and reduction, if not elimination, of the problem. In respect of this issue, what needs to change is the cultural practices in our society that constitute rape culture. (As to what "rape culture" means, see here: 25 Everyday Examples of Rape Culture — Everyday Feminism )

Talking about issues and drawing public attention to them can lead to change. Organisations like Beyond Blue, with high profile spokesman like former Victorian State Premier Jeff Kennett, have done a lot to destigmatise mental health problems in Australia by having them talked about openly like any other health issue. Talking about things can lead to changed attitudes. Victims/sufferers don't feel so isolated and they are helped. A similar change can happen with domestic violence/sexual assault, and Camilla is helping draw attention to the issue and getting people talking and doing something to help rape victims and change society's views.

Last edited:
Camilla campaign is to help the victims of sexual abuse.

She wants to raise the awareness of the effects of sexual abuse and increase the number of support centers the victims can turn to for help.

Camilla regularly visits rape centers and talks directly with victims.

Camilla has been supporting victims of sexual abuse both in the U.K. and internationally since 2009.

Error on royal website re 11th October.

At the present time, the CC is saying that Camilla attended the Mann Booker event on the 11th October.

As this thread shows, the event took place on the 13th.

Sadly, the 13th isn't on the website yet.

Camilla campaign is to help the victims of sexual abuse.

She wants to raise the awareness of the effects of sexual abuse and increase the number of support centers the victims can turn to for help.

Camilla regularly visits rape centers and talks directly with victims.

Camilla has been supporting victims of sexual abuse both in the U.K. and internationally since 2009.

I put in a number of years a sexual assault advocate (we helped people who had been sexually assaulted rather than advocate for abuse) and I have to take issue with one thing the DM attributed to the visit. Someone (and I think they meant the DOC) said that you can't exactly advertise that kind of service.
I disagree. You can and we did. Note that this was all pre-social media, but that choice would only make things easier to publicize. We were listed in the yellow pages, white pages and advocacy pages. We had close contact with the local schools and shelters and had flyers posted there. We were in contact with first responders (medical, police and fire), child advocacy agencies and local politicians who all knew who we were, what we did and how to reach us. The hospitals had our posters and would ask presenting patients if they would like us to be called in for them. We also were in contact with local OB-GYNs, Planned Parenthood and Pediatricians. We worked closely with the local press and had several events during the year for the press that spoke to who were were, what we did and how to contact us. We also did various program presentations for local employers when asked, and we were asked often.
We covered two counties - spanning a state border. We had a 24/7 hotline, a daytime staffed office and would go out on calls 24 hours a day. We would attend hearings, doctor visits and other required "meetings" as requested by those we represented.
In general, working with survivors, an advocate's job is to enable survivors to do what they want, to "feel" control; to do what they feel is best for them; to let them know that they are valued and that their experience need not define them forever.
I loved that volunteer work. It was almost always very sad but so very needed and important.
And it can be advertised in ways that make it effective.

Last edited:
I put in a number of years a sexual assault advocate (we helped people who had been sexually assaulted rather than advocate for abuse) and I have to take issue with one thing the DM attributed to the visit. Someone (and I think they meant the DOC) said that you can't exactly advertise that kind of service.
I disagree. You can and we did. Note that this was all pre-social media, but that choice would only make things easier to publicize. We were listed in the yellow pages, white pages and advocacy pages. We had close contact with the local schools and shelters and had flyers posted there. We were in contact with first responders (medical, police and fire), child advocacy agencies and local politicians who all knew who we were, what we did and how to reach us. The hospitals had our posters and would ask presenting patients if they would like us to be called in for them. We also were in contact with local OB-GYNs, Planned Parenthood and Pediatricians. We worked closely with the local press and had several events during the year for the press that spoke to who were were, what we did and how to contact us.
We covered two counties - spanning a state border. We had a 24/7 hotline, a daytime staffed office and would go out on calls 24 hours a day. We would attend hearings, doctor visits and other required "meetings" as requested by those we represented.
In general, working with survivors, an advocate's job is to enable survivors to do what they want, to "feel" control; to do what they feel is best for them; to let them know that they are valued and that their experience need not define them forever.
I loved that volunteer work. It was almost always very sad but so very needed and important.
And it can be advertised in ways that make it effective.

Yes these places are very important and how you advertised them was excellent. My very personal opinion is I don't like a royal packing soap and wash cloth to bring attention to it
I much prefer how you did it you must have felt you were really helping and making a difference

Yes these places are very important and how you advertised them was excellent. My very personal opinion is I don't like a royal packing soap and wash cloth to bring attention to it
I much prefer how you did it you must have felt you were really helping and making a difference

I think that we should support any initiative which helps victims of sexual violence, regardless of our views on the famous who promote it.

And although the emphasis on here seems to be those against females of all ages, there is a rise in attacks on males. They too need our support.

AdmirerUS,

You are from the U.S. (and the Midwest) and I too am somewhat amazed by the difference in information on the other side of the pond.
It is not only sexual abuse and victims' advocates.

AIDs was well known and discussed in the U.S. long before the disease hit the U.K.

Landmines were a regular feature of the American news since the 1960s.

Leprosy was already deemed a controlled disease in the 1960s.

Osteoporosis prevention and early screening were regular features in U.S. news in the 1990s.

In the U.S. health insurance companies come to the workplace, community centers, parks, colleges etc. and offer early prevention and screening for all kinds of disease for free. (At least they do in the Chicago area.)

Decades ago, at a food fair in Chicago, they were offering free screening for osteoporosis, cholesterol, body mass, etc.

I am always amazed by people on this board who have only became aware of these issue because a member of the RF made a public appearance.

Last edited:
:previous:

it isn't just about making people aware on an issue; its also about changing people's mindset about how they treat the people affect. (example: AIDS awareness, then attitude to people with AIDS)

Last edited by a moderator:
it isn't just about making people aware on an issue; its also about changing people's mindset about how they treat the people affect. (example: AIDS awareness, then attitude to people with AIDS)

It is the same for sexual abuse. It was a closeted crime.

Most women did not report the crime and suffered in silence.
When the women did report they had been raped, the police failed to act.

The women were treated as having done something to 'deserve' it.

In the U.S., it took decades for this attitude to change.
In other parts of the world, the women are still blamed.

Camilla's campaign is globally, she has visited victims of sexual abuse in India.

Camilla's campaign is globally, she has visited victims of sexual abuse in India.

She has also visited projects for victims of sexual abuse in South Africa, Papua New Guinea, Sri Lanka and Canada.

It's a cause that has world-wide support, including from Angelina Jolie and Amal Alamuddin. These women are using their high profiles to get attention to the cause. Amal, of course, can also assist in her professional capacity. People like AdmirerUS are doing very important hands-on work at grassroots level but this is an issue that requires attention and assistance at all levels. Everyone's contribution is valuable.

Last edited:
Thank you AdmirerUS for your work with people who had been sexually assaulted. It's not an easy task, but a very necessary service.

She has also visited projects for victims of sexual abuse in South Africa, Papua New Guinea, Sri Lanka and Canada.

:flowers: Thanks, I knew she visited with sexual abuse victims in other countries but couldn't recall offhand.

It is an important subject and Camilla is doing what she can. Not everyone can provide counselling or volunteer at centres or provide legal services just as Diana could not clear landmines or treat AIDS victims. Both are using or have used their position as Princess of Wales to raise awareness and bring publicity to the cause they are/were championing.

The idea of the washbags was Camilla's and, as the articles in the Mail say, the people who work at these centres and interact with those who have been raped say they have made a huge difference to women at a very vulnerable time.

If a picture of Camilla packing a washbag causes someone to click on the article and see what help is available or maybe feel that it is not their fault or that they can get support to report the crime, then the picture has done its job. Why is that a bad thing?

Britain has had a defacto ban on anti-personnel weapons since the mid-1980's and land mines were certainly a topic of discussion in Britain before then.

UNICEF hails UK push against landmines

Diana helped the cause of AIDS patients who were the victims of horrific prejudice in both the US and UK, so information in the US certainly hadn't leaked to some US hospital workers who refused to feed or touch AIDS patients in the 1980's.

Britain also had a national health service 'this side of the pond', by the late 1940's, something the US has singularly failed to achieve even now.

The British people aren't uneducated ignoramouses. They take the view that if a royal can help with a cause or issue then that's all the better, as it gives more publicity. That doesn't mean they've never heard of the subject.

Last edited:
It is the same for sexual abuse. It was a closeted crime.

Most women did not report the crime and suffered in silence.
When the women did report they had been raped, the police failed to act.

The women were treated as having done something to 'deserve' it.

In the U.S., it took decades for this attitude to change.
In other parts of the world, the women are still blamed.

Sadly the underlining belief that those that have been victims of rape and sexual abuse and domestic violence still somewhat tend to believe that they somehow deserved what happened to them. In a lot of cases, the woman is married to the abuser. In most cases, it isn't something that happens once in a blue moon but an ongoing part of their marriage.

These kind of crimes are usually never about sex but about power and dominance and control and can and does play havoc with the victim's self esteem and they often feel that there is no way out and if they should try, it may make the abuser angry and they know what the punishment will be. These people live in constant fear and desperately try to "toe the line".

Any information that can reach out and be heard by the public is a much needed thing as knowledge is power and can possibly be a first step to boost someone's courage enough to say "no more" and seek help and support.

Curryong,

Your comment on AIDS is interesting but far off.

Today, on Decades, they featured Dionne Warwick talking about her commitment and contribution to AIDS.

According to the interview, Dionne Warwick was involved with AIDS before the CDC used the term. The CDC first used the term on September 24, 1982.

In 1985, she and several very famous people recorded the song, "That's What Friends are For" to benefit AIDS research.

https://www.aids.gov/hiv-aids-basics/hiv-aids-101/aids-timeline/

History of AIDS: 1987-1992 | AVERT

I think you'll find the 2nd one very interesting...comparing the two will show the difference:lol:

Here is more information on Europe's AIDS response.
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/..._drug-users-aids-epidemic-dr-daniel-tarantola

Last edited:
^ Europe was exposed to the AIDS epidemic later than in the US. That made the difference. Just because I mentioned Diana and her response to AIDS patients doesn't mean the subject wasn't discussed in Britain, or indeed here in Australia, which was a leader in the response to the epidemic. I remember the song and I certainly wasn't living in the US at the time, nor was I ignorant of AIDS.

There seems to have been an inference in your previous post that the US is inevitably a leader ahead of the pack in disseminating health care information and in prevention of health conditions, especially in comparison to the ignorance of the rest of the world, including Britain, and that just isn't so.

Australia's response to the AIDS epidemic from 1982, which worked, and was admired elsewhere, including at conferences held in the US.

http://www.lowyinstitute.org/files/pubfiles/Bowtell,_Australia's_Response_to_HIV_AIDS_logo.pdf

Reagan administration's silence.

http://www.sfgate.com/opinion/openf...-AIDS-Legacy-Silence-equals-death-2751030.php

Last edited:
As Diana and AIDS in the 1980s have nothing to do with Camilla's current events, please move on from that discussion. If you wish to continue it, do so via PM as further posts will be removed.

AdmirerUS, I appreciate your efforts to help people who have been sexually assaulted. It must be both challenging and rewarding.

I agree that people like AdmirerUS provide more help than celebrity spokespeople, but celebrities bring awareness to the issue, which always helps. Sexual assault will never be eliminated but education makes a difference.

It can be especially helpful when an international celebrity speaks out on sexual assault. In some countries, the victim is actually prosecuted and punished. But even in the "enlightened" U.S., there are cases in which the community ostracizes the victim and rallies around the attacker--especially if the attacker is athletic and good looking.

Camilla's efforts may not make much difference, but she is probably helping some victims. Regardless, I can't imagine that she is hurting anyone.

Actually, these bags make a huge difference. Most hospitals are cash strapped these days, and the times of them having travel sized personal items to give to those needing them for whatever reason, are long gone. We've found that out a few times the last couple of years thanks to both my Parents needing Emergency Admittance a couple of times.

We have both Drs and Nurses as Relatives and Friends and who have experience in the Emerg. One of my Cousins finally asked for a Transfer and it was because of this very thing. She just could not handle having to look a Rape Victim in the eyes after all was said and done both Medically and Legally and have to tell them they would have to wait until they got where ever in order to have a Shower to try and feel clean again. That should NOT be happening, but it does everyday thanks to our badly screwed up Medical System here in Ontario.

Speaking of things no one thinks of...I had been crocheting Preemie Items for our NICU for many years before getting a chance to finally make a donation personally. Due to me being 3hrs away, I ship them to my Sister's and she usually takes them up for me. Anyway...

I was chatting w/the Nurse who was going through the bags of what I'd brought when I asked what did they really need. Sadly ATM she had come across one of the Burial Buntings I make and she said they needed more of those and little gowns/hats too. Then she told me they badly needed Full Term Layettes. I guess my expression spoke what I was thinking, as she gave me this sad look and...

"Pregnant Women use Battered Women's Shelters too, and more often than not, escaped w/their lives and nothing for the Baby."

I always am grateful I was leaning against the wall ATM, because I'd felt like I'd been given a body blow. I just never thought about it happening, but as w/all types of Abuse, who would unless you knew about it? Ever since, I always try to do one Preemie, then one Full Term when I make my Layettes, but I also tell anyone I find out is also doing things for the NICU. After all, if the word isn't out there, how do you know there's a need?

The same w/these bags. It's all well and good to assume this is a throw away silly thing that makes no difference to a Sexually Abused Person, but to them? Believe me, it's not and good on Camilla for taking this Program and Cause on. How many of us knew these bags were so badly needed before this? I did, but if wasn't for Relatives talking about it and then our experiences w/my Parents, I wouldn't think twice about those items being there for a Rape Victim. I'd just assume they were, just like many people do.

Never underestimate the Power a Royal can give to a cause. Camilla is doing a great deal of good w/this and more power to her!!

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

We have both Drs and Nurses as Relatives and Friends and who have experience in the Emerg. One of my Cousins finally asked for a Transfer and it was because of this very thing. She just could not handle having to look a Rape Victim in the eyes after all was said and done both Medically and Legally and have to tell them they would have to wait until they got where ever in order to have a Shower to try and feel clean again. That should NOT be happening, but it does everyday thanks to our badly screwed up Medical System here in Ontario... Never underestimate the Power a Royal can give to a cause. Camilla is doing a great deal of good w/this and more power to her!!
Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I agree. It's the things that one might never think about that end up making the experience so much less horrible. When a sexual assault survivor presents at emergency, their clothes often get gathered up as evidence. That leaves them with nothing to wear home but a backless hospital gown! Volunteer donated sweat suits often save the day.
Depending on insurance coverage, hospital and evidence collection policy, I remember survivors being billed for evidence collection. I think that problem has largely disappeared, but just imagine how that must have felt for victims and their family? Still today, survivors are usually responsible for the cost of testing for communicable disease or any first aid required.

I'd encourage anyone whose heart is touched by this issue to contact their local emergency rooms, Sexual Assault Police units or local Sexual Assault Support agencies to find out what volunteer/donation needs they have.

Oh I likethis. She didn't pull out of a "bread and butter" engagement. Plus, I really like seeing Camilla doing this kind of duties...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom