The Duchess of Cornwall Current Events 14: October 2013 - September 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Private funeral for her brother on Thursday 1 May 2014.

Sorry to be an ignorant American but I really am wondering. In general, for established families how soon does the funeral happen, in general after death in the UK?
I realize in many places a delay has to do with gathering the family, but here in the US soonest tends to prevail. Within 3 days of death is common and within a week almost always.
Thanks for any insight on this sensitive subject.

Sorry to be an ignorant American but I really am wondering. In general, for established families how soon does the funeral happen, in general after death in the UK?
I realize in many places a delay has to do with gathering the family, but here in the US soonest tends to prevail. Within 3 days of death is common and within a week almost always.

The funeral for Mark Shand also may be delayed because they need to ship the body home. Perhaps there's regulations they need to perform or whatnot before the funeral is possible?

I thought I read that Tom Parker Bowles and another relative already collected the body, and flew with it back to Britain.

One thing to remember in the UK is that when a citizen dies overseas there is always a UK inquest (remember that Diana died in France but they still had to hold an inquest in the UK) so it is also possible that the coroner may wish to check on medical findings etc before releasing the body for burial.

In the Uk it used to be 3 days as well but that has become more difficult as red tape increases and resources dwindle. It took 7 days between the death of my father and his burial; for my mother the difference was 13 days.

If someone dies and they are not under a doctors care, then a post mortum in mandatory. So I would say between 7-15 days now.

In the Uk it used to be 3 days as well but that has become more difficult as red tape increases and resources dwindle. It took 7 days between the death of my father and his burial; for my mother the difference was 13 days.

If someone dies and they are not under a doctors care, then a post mortum in mandatory. So I would say between 7-15 days now.

I live in the UK and for my great uncle, his funeral was in late February this year and he'd passed away earlier in the month. He had a simple service however. But I think it depends on the family and what type of funeral the deceased person will be having. I would think that grander funerals would need to be planned for a longer time though, as there's the guests, church/crematorium, food, drinks, reception venue (although some people have the reception at their house), the coffin and other decorations such as flowers or ribbons to be bought and thought about. Of course I could be wrong, as I haven't been to many funerals and haven't had to help anyone arrange one, so I don't know how it works.

I know I'm late to the party, but I just wanted to send my condolences to the Shands, they must be feeling devastated at the news. RIP Mark. :sad:

Last edited:
I am in my 50s and since my father passed away a few years ago I often talk to my brother about things that would have previously been discussed with my father - so you could say that my brother is now a 'father-figure' - the senior/elder male in my family and so the one that is regarded as the 'father' of the family even though we all have our own families.

Seriously- brother became a "father figure" in recent years? Since when does an adult woman in her sixties see her brother as a "father figure"? Their own father passed when they were both adults.

Silly and tawdry.
Not to mention tasteless! But then what do you expect from Richard Kay and the Mail. :sick: :wacko:

I don't think Mark was a father figure.
I think Mark was the baby and Camilla and Annabel took care of him.

Here are her comments on November 11, 2013 while in India.

At one stall she was offered a beaded band that women tie around their brothers' wrists to bond with them and ask for their protection.
She joked: "I should get one of them for my brother (adventurer Mark Shand) . That'll be a shock for him."

Day Six: The Prince and The Duchess visit India

Last edited:
Mark's funeral is today. Charles and Camilla are both going and it's in Dorset. I posted in the Joint current events thread.

The Duchess visited Oxford today. She came to officially open The Botnar Research Centre at the University of Oxford which is connected to the Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre and Appeal, a charity the Duchess supports if I am not mistaken. She went on a tour of the building and greeted my colleagues and myself - very nice lady. Her lady in waiting was so lovely and chatty.

I am sure more articles will follow but here is one:

Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, visiting Oxford (From Oxford Mail)

The portrait looks decent. Of course, it is not a masterpiece by Gainsborough. There is interesting about it.

Last edited:
I like the portrait. Somehow, it captures her essence.

Love the portrait. Any pictures with her and the kids?

Thanks. Love the picture of her Royal highness with little Jacob.

Richard Palmer @RoyalReporter · 6m
Angelina Jolie met the Duchess of Cornwall at Clarence House tonight to discuss their mutual interest in helping victims of sexual violence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom