The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-19-2020, 05:21 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
You and me both, TLLK. It's not so much promoting literacy either as in the ability to read and comprehend what is being read but to install the actual *love* of reading is what opens a totally different world.

In our age of instant and visual input from our devices and the ease of point and click, to get lost in a book that feeds our imagination and thought processes is becoming a forgotten treasure.

There are two things I admire about Camilla most. One is her love for animals and the other is her love for reading books. I feel a kinship to her in that regard.

Old 11-19-2020, 07:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Osipi-Agreed. Speaking as a parent and a teacher, IMHO there is nothing like the thrill of seeing new readers of any age discover the joys of reading for pleasure. From learning the letters and their sounds to visualizing a story as you read the words from the page, it's truly magical.

Old 11-19-2020, 07:44 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Osipi-Agreed. Speaking as a parent and a teacher, IMHO there is nothing like the thrill of seeing new readers of any age discover the joys of reading for pleasure. From learning the letters and their sounds to visualizing a story as you read the words from the page, it's truly magical.
Getting lost in a book can prove to be detrimental though. I tend to be absorbed into what I'm reading. To the point of not even hearing a phone ringing close by and having an irate husband yelling at me "Why the hell didn't you answer the phone?!?". My answer? "Um... there are no phones in the 11th century!". To love a what you're reading so much that they're dubbed "books to burn pork chops by" and to be able to boast that I was over 40 before I finally learned to use a bookmark.

It all started for me with a teacher nun I had in grade school. Being severely ADHD, my attention span rivaled that of a demented gnat. Through learning the love of where books could take me, it taught me focus and it taught me to mentally calm my "itches in my britches" and opened a wonderful world for me that I cherish to this day. As I aged, I'm rarely without a book I'm currently reading and my lifestyle, due to health issues, finds me more dependent on mental endeavors rather than physical, I often imagine what I'd be like today without reading. I'll let you know when I finally do get that picture.
Old 11-20-2020, 12:47 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post
The Duchess of Cornwall sent a message of support to this year's winner of the Man Booker Prize. The virtual ceremony took place this evening:

"While Covid deprived us of so many cultural pleasures - we have, at least, been able to read. And as long as we can read, we can travel, we can escape, we can explore, we can laugh, we can cry and we can grapple with life's mysteries."

** Pic ** Video ** bbc article **
Definitely well said and very true.

I think books have been an escape for almost everyone in the past 8 months. My dad and I have bonded over discussing what each other should read next as we both have become hermits except for the hospital. He leaves the house only for chemo and me for work.

You can see how much books help kids when they are sick, how they can escape into a different world. TV will never have that same power to inspire the imagination.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

The Duchess of Cornwall delivered video message to mark the International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1331616320090157057
Old 11-26-2020, 12:19 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
The Duchess of Cornwall delivered video message to mark the International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1331616320090157057
I have such amazing respect for Camilla and her continued work on the topic

Violence against women is a topic that once again is taboo still to talk to. The see but don't speak kind of attitude to domestic abuse in many cases. She has worked so hard to cast a light on the work including promoting the work for toiletry kits for sexual assault victims. Its not one of those 'trendy' patronage themes and one more people need to speak out on.

I wish Camilla got more attention. She really does great work for causes
Old 12-19-2020, 04:41 PM
Serene Highness

Lovely to see Camilla add her support to BBC's Strictly Come Dancing final tonight. She's right about it bringing people together & I'm intrigued to know who she voted for!
Old 12-19-2020, 04:41 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Yes it was a lovely addition to the show! IIRC the royals are fans of Strictly, I remember reading Sophie took Louise to be in the audience for her 15th birthday.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 12-19-2020, 06:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
Lovely to see Camilla add her support to BBC's Strictly Come Dancing final tonight. She's right about it bringing people together & I'm intrigued to know who she voted for!
The Duchess tonight

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...-BBC-show.html
Old 12-19-2020, 08:50 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Yes it was a lovely addition to the show! IIRC the royals are fans of Strictly, I remember reading Sophie took Louise to be in the audience for her 15th birthday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
I enjoyed Strictly Come Dancing as well and often read some other forums/thread for updates and different perspectives!

I was watching clips of the contestants' routine on the Strictly's youtube channel and did not watch the full episode of the final. Thank you Lilyflo, HereditaryPrincess and eya for letting us know about Camilla's appearance. I totally agree with her on how Strictly lifted the public and country's spirit.
Old 01-01-2021, 05:11 AM
Serene Highness

The Duchess of Cornwall is launching her Reading Room, which will offer book recommendation and provide insight from the authors themselves.
The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall @ClarenceHouse
Introducing, The Duchess of Cornwall’s Reading Room! [Books]
HRH’s brand new literary project will offer book recommendations and provide insight from the authors themselves in a community space for all book lovers.
#TheReadingRoom Winter Season will be revealed on January 15th.
8:32 PM · Jan 1, 2021·Twitter Web App

Replying to @ClarenceHouse
To kick off the year, in a special film, The Duchess invites author
@charliemackesy to talk about his book, 'The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and The Horse'.
To hear what they had to say, head to #TheReadingRoom on Instagram [Downwards arrow]
https://bit.ly/3b0ldGe

The Duchess of Cornwall is a passionate supporter of literature and Patron of several organisations which promote literacy, including @Literacy_Trust, @FirstStory and @beanstalkreads.
https://twitter.com/ClarenceHouse/st...39517040615426

The Duchess of Cornwall’s Reading Room has its own instagram account: https://www.instagram.com/duchessofc...lsreadingroom/

Charlie Mackesy did an interview with The Duchess of Cornwall and also showed his book illustration with his own narration. The first six posts are dedicated to his work.
Old 01-01-2021, 05:20 AM
Royal Highness

And This is how you Royal kids. Representing Solid things And ideas that people can relate to.
Old 01-01-2021, 06:20 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
The Duchess of Cornwall is launching her Reading Room, which will offer book recommendation and provide insight from the authors themselves.
Introducing, The Duchess of Cornwall’s Reading Room! [Books]
HRH’s brand new literary project will offer book recommendations and provide insight from the authors themselves in a community space for all book lovers.
#TheReadingRoom Winter Season will be revealed on January 15th.

To kick off the year, in a special film, The Duchess invites author
@charliemackesy to talk about his book, 'The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and The Horse'.
To hear what they had to say, head to #TheReadingRoom on Instagram [Downwards arrow]
https://bit.ly/3b0ldGe

The Duchess of Cornwall is a passionate supporter of literature and Patron of several organisations which promote literacy, including @Literacy_Trust, @FirstStory and @beanstalkreads.
https://twitter.com/ClarenceHouse/st...39517040615426

The Duchess of Cornwall’s Reading Room has its own instagram account: https://www.instagram.com/duchessofc...lsreadingroom/

Charlie Mackesy did an interview with The Duchess of Cornwall and also showed his book illustration with his own narration. The first six posts are dedicated to his work.
Too many people have forgotten the benefits from sitting quiet and just reading a book these days. As a fellow bookaholic, it warms my heart every time I hear that Camilla is also one of us and promoting the love of books.

In the spirit of Camilla also campaigning for rescue dogs, I offer this quote:

"“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” ~~ Groucho Marx
Old 01-01-2021, 10:21 AM
Heir Apparent

With so many of us living in places where are libraries and bookstores are closed to us, this should be a wonderful new source.
Old 01-01-2021, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Wonderful idea and bravo to the duchess!
Old 01-01-2021, 11:30 AM
Heir Presumptive

As someone who loves books and loves reading, I think this is just fabulous. Thank you, Camilla !
Old 01-01-2021, 12:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Camilla's devotion to her literacy patronages/charities is something that I greatly admire. While I currently an missing going into the library or bookstore and pick up/browse the books, this is a fantastic substitution.
Old 01-01-2021, 12:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

What a great idea!
Old 01-02-2021, 10:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

Coming from a total book worm who longs for the days of libraries and book stores, I was so happy to see this. Such a wonderful idea.

Camilla really has been dedicated to her literacy charities from day one.
Old 01-15-2021, 05:04 AM
Imperial Majesty

"Season One of The Duchess of Cornwall’s Reading Room launches on Instagram today!"

https://twitter.com/i/status/1350008093715931136