Should Camilla attend the memorial service for Diana?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Press Objective? What, are you kidding? I think that has never happened!

Well yes but at least there was some respect. Today, making the private life of people a public attraction is common. In any case the press seem to hate everyone, Charles, Camilla, etc. even Diana IMO. If they had respect for her, they wouldn't publish this crap everyday.

Last edited:
Imagine that suddenly The Duchess of Cornwall does appear....

As long as on the official website(s) from The Prince of Wales and/or The British Monarchy there is no statement about it, we simply do not know for 100% sure. Or does the BBC suddenly function as Clarence House's press office?

:ermm:

Camilla to stay away from Diana memorial - CNN.com

here it is from cnn, they can not just quote her without it coming from clarence house. It is just not in the website and perhaps never will be mentioned.

What we seem to be forgetting here is that Diana was the Princes mother, and they are entitled to love her. And if they want to show that by having a memorial for her then it is their RIGHT. THey likely had nothing at all to do with the service when she was buried as they were quite young. So maybe this is their way of honoring her that they could not do in the past. As misguided as the whole excercise might be, I can understand the desire to show your love for someone that you lost at such a young age, and likely have at least some fairy tale images of. All children have fairytale images of parents lost at a young age.

Furthermore, they have clearly shown their support for Camilla, and clearly stated it. There is no need to do so again. And why should they have to? It seems enough for the Boys and Camilla, as well as Charles, and they are the only parties who really matter.

What I find SHAMELESS is that the so called Camilla and Royal Family supporters are buying into this whole media circus, which is exactly what the media want. It's their job to create division and controversy and those of you who are buying into the whole debacle are just enabling them. Nothing that the media says has anything to do with the Royal Family. And if they Royal Family begins listening to what the tabloids have to say then shame on them.

But more importantly shame on those of you who would let such nonsense affect the way that you think of people who have no control over the press.

Well it is a public ceremony, not a private one, so the press, the royalists, the camilla haters and lovers etc everyone included can say and feel whatever they want.

What we seem to be forgetting here is that Diana was the Princes mother, and they are entitled to love her. And if they want to show that by having a memorial for her then it is their RIGHT. THey likely had nothing at all to do with the service when she was buried as they were quite young. So maybe this is their way of honoring her that they could not do in the past. As misguided as the whole excercise might be, I can understand the desire to show your love for someone that you lost at such a young age, and likely have at least some fairy tale images of. All children have fairytale images of parents lost at a young age.

Furthermore, they have clearly shown their support for Camilla, and clearly stated it. There is no need to do so again. And why should they have to? It seems enough for the Boys and Camilla, as well as Charles, and they are the only parties who really matter.

What I find SHAMELESS is that the so called Camilla and Royal Family supporters are buying into this whole media circus, which is exactly what the media want. It's their job to create division and controversy and those of you who are buying into the whole debacle are just enabling them. Nothing that the media says has anything to do with the Royal Family. And if they Royal Family begins listening to what the tabloids have to say then shame on them.

But more importantly shame on those of you who would let such nonsense affect the way that you think of people who have no control over the press.

Empress said:
But more importantly shame on those of you who would let such nonsense affect the way that you think of people who have no control over the press
I feel no shame in putting my support behind the only people that have tried to act with honour and dignity, Charles and Camilla! You say W&H have no control over the media, I disagree, if they had come forward when the media started hounding Camilla, if they had spoken out to the Dicycle idiots, then all this would have stopped. If HM, William and Harry are unwilling to now publicly defend the woman they placed in this position in the first place, then they will have lost the support of many people. If they are going to be swayed by the media, as they clearly have been, then they are shown to be mere celebrity puppets.

You say 'shame on those who would let such nonsense affect the way you think of people..... and yet isn't that exactly what anyone does, who bases their dislike of Camilla on what they have only read, in books or the media?

Shame on them and the people who, influenced by the media, were vociferous in condemning Camilla for accepting the invitation.

Last edited:
But that's the point Skydragon. They have all clearly shown their support in many ways over the last few years. Why should they have to bow even more to the very people who are screaming that they've bowed to the public by removing Camilla from the service.

It's either one or the other, they are doing the right thing by bowing to the public or they aren't. It can't be that they bow to the public in one instance, only to do it again. What you are asking them to do is basically the same action, with different consequences, and you've quite clearly condemned that action.

I agree shame on the people who condemned her for accepting the invitation, because they are not in her shoes and don't know what she was going through. Like I said, personally I don't think that she should have accepted, but that is my personal opinion, based on my views of life, and not on what ever the media was saying.

HM, Harry and Wills, have all been clear in their support, and those of us who follow the royals know it, and between those that follow the family, and those that are in the family, it should be enough. Bugger on the people who are only using this as an excuse to get all hyped up.

It makes not one iota of difference in my support of them.

EDIT: As a followup - Don't you see that by removing your support for the royal family, or other senior members of it, you are not only hurting the royal family and Camilla, but falling right into the "trap" that the tabloid media has set up? Apparently their goal is to remove the RF entirely. If such supporters as yourself remove them based on what the media is spewing out, then what do you think will happen next? I hope that you are as intelligent as your arguments lead me to believe, and will be able to see past all of this crap to the real point.

Last edited:
But that's the point Skydragon. They have all clearly shown their support in many ways over the last few years. Why should they have to bow even more to the very people who are screaming that they've bowed to the public by removing Camilla from the service.
They have bowed to media pressure, therefore it is only right that they make sure the media know they are annoyed. You say they have shown their support in many ways, I can think of only two, but do surprise me....... and the only screaming we have seen, is from the Diana fanatics
HM, Harry and Wills, have all been clear in their support, and those of us who follow the royals know it,
As I said, let those of us, who obviously don't follow the BRF, see the evidence of all this support.

I begin to feel angry about the situation now. It is about the unity of the royal family and how BRF protects their members. I am not sure whether Princess Anne would attend the service or not. If she did,even lawfully marrying into the royal family,Camilla is still the only one who is left with a vunerable state for unpredictable criticisms and public outcry related with any Diana's unfortunes.

I begin to see how vulnerable actually Camilla was and is by being put into the difficult situations. She is not only the chosen human target by the taboilts and Diana Hardcore fans but also the chosen human shield for the royal family toward public pressures about Diana's mistreatments. How sad and how unfair. Camilla is really a remarkable and brave lady to weather all these storms and endures all these pains and attacks for the sake of the monarchy and for the man he loves and the family he cares. I think I can do nothing but to write a letter to HRH to show our supports in her.

I completely agree with you - IMHO it has always been the queen who did not support Camilla enough and forced Charles to bend to public opinion. She is probably still shocked about the events of 10 years ago and would do anything to prevent similar things from happening. Charles as the heir may have a lot of control about his personal life and his own court but he probably has not so much influence when it comes to the queen and her court.

The tabloids potentially only take their clues from BP and while they seem to report honestly enough about Camilla's everyday life and her duties, they act like a pack of woolves when it comes to Diana.

I personally was shocked to see the first plaque that Camilla revealed bearing the name HRH The Duchess of Cornwall in printing - I couldn't believe my eyes. These plaques are there to stay and thus are cementing the second-best attitude towards Camilla. Maybe we should start a Camilla-circle writing to all institutions who have such a plaque and ask them to fill a complaint with BP in order to change the plaque to HRH's legal name which is shortened neither Duchess of Cornwall o Countess of Chester, but Princess of Wales. The Princess of Wales of the year these plaques were unveiled!

Am I the only one who finds it strange that no word is said about it on the official websites of The Prince of Wales and of The British Monarchy ?

:ermm:

No, you are not the only one. A part of me holds a small hope that the Duchess is just playing a gag on the Dirty Mail and fully intends to show up. If she does, she will totally disarm the press. They won't know what hit them, and it would great! :boxing:

I'm saying that it's becoming ever clearer that someone, several people if I'm right have a serious problem with Camilla and have set conditions about just how much of a member of the Royal Family she can be. They'll take orders from the Queen, they might bring themselves to take them from Charles, but from Camilla? It sickens them to think that someone like Camilla might topple them from their precious grey suit positions with her down to earth style. They want to limit her influence as much as they can and once again, the Eunuchs bring down the Emperor.

i've had the same kind of thought. i doubt the duchess wanted to go but gave into pressure from charles and others. after the firestorm, i admired her for withdrawing and trying to get the focus back to diana. (it was a very respectful notice imo) that being said i've asked if she had her OWN advisors or has to use charles (i haven't got an answer- i take it theres no information on that point) i think camilla scares the grey suits, she's no young girl easily manipulated or easy to work "around" because of her close relationship with the prince. it wouldn't surpise me if knives are out for her by those closest to the center of power (ie: charles advisors). i really think some people should lose their jobs over this fiasco, but i'm not holding my breath. all i know is imo she was showing class and respect attending, and still showing class and respect not going. in my mind it doesn't alter my respect for camilla or the royal family, this reflects on the toadies and advisors that contributed to this circus (heads should roll). a private memorial would have been so much more respectful and not so deep pitfalls.

Camilla pulls out of Diana memorial on Queen's advice | the Daily Mail
*quote from article
*the Queen led to the Duchess of Cornwall's announcement that she would not be attending the Diana memorial service. According to insiders, Camilla agonised to her mother-in-law about the dilemma she felt her presence would present
*It triggered a series of rows between the duchess and Prince Charles, who wanted his wife to be at his side for Friday's thanksgiving service at the Guards Chapel.
Privately she was known to be uneasy and reluctant to attend but Charles insisted she should.
*The damage done by this latest row to the duchess's still-fragile public image cannot be over-estimated and friends fear that much of the headway achieved since her marriage to Charles two years ago has been undone.
*For some reason Charles's team at Clarence House thought that as long they stuck to their agreed line - that Camilla was there at the request of William and Harry - they should be able to see it through.

"Once again, they were so very, very wrong and the issue of whether she should attend or not became a national talking point. The duchess knew her position had become untenable."
The memorial service debacle places fresh scrutiny on the role of Charles's most senior advisers. His private secretary Sir Michael Peat was firmly of the view that the duchess should attend. Sir Michael was blamed for the series of mishaps which plagued the couple's wedding.
Diana memorial: Courtiers get it wrong again | the Daily Mail
*courtiers stubbornly ploughed their own furrow, oblivious to the glaring warning signs surrounding them.
*A man intolerant at the best of times with those who take exception to his actions, the prince has installed in his household a team of men and women dedicated to his every whim with Sir Michael Peat, his principal private secretary, at its head.
*Fortunately for Sir Michael, his loyalty (not to mention the fact that he is but a few years away from retirement) will no doubt ensure that he escapes censure for his role in the whole memorial mess.

Last edited:
I kind of feel sorry for Camilla. I am sure that her feelings toward Diana has changed a great deal. I am sure that she is very sad about how the death of Diana effected the two boys. I am also sure that all that she wanted to do is support william and harry. I do see the harm that it is doing to the royal family also. Every time that Diana name is brought up is Charles and Camilla going to go to hide? I have followed Diana since 1981, but to think that someone who has been dead for 10 years can still control the lives of the living. I do not mean to sound harsh, but life does go on. We must ask ourselves - what if it had been Charles that died, would Diana have stopped living her life? I do not think so.

I have followed Diana since 1981, but to think that someone who has been dead for 10 years can still control the lives of the living. I do not mean to sound harsh, but life does go on.

Tell that to Rosa Monckton - Diana's "authetic voice" according to some papers...

that being said i've asked if she had her OWN advisors or has to use
AFAIK, Camilla uses the same advisors as Charles, in consultation with HM's advisors at BP on joint events. It seems to me that once again, they are using a Princess of Wales, to try to gain superiority over one another.

That said, it does not alter my shame in the rest of the royal family, my disgust with the British press pack and the people who are led by it, is a matter of record.

I completely agree with you - IMHO it has always been the queen who did not support Camilla enough and forced Charles to bend to public opinion. She is probably still shocked about the events of 10 years ago and would do anything to prevent similar things from happening. Charles as the heir may have a lot of control about his personal life and his own court but he probably has not so much influence when it comes to the queen and her court.

The tabloids potentially only take their clues from BP and while they seem to report honestly enough about Camilla's everyday life and her duties, they act like a pack of woolves when it comes to Diana.

I personally was shocked to see the first plaque that Camilla revealed bearing the name HRH The Duchess of Cornwall in printing - I couldn't believe my eyes. These plaques are there to stay and thus are cementing the second-best attitude towards Camilla. Maybe we should start a Camilla-circle writing to all institutions who have such a plaque and ask them to fill a complaint with BP in order to change the plaque to HRH's legal name which is shortened neither Duchess of Cornwall o Countess of Chester, but Princess of Wales. The Princess of Wales of the year these plaques were unveiled!

There have been times where QEII has supported Camilla and times where she did not. I remember the day after the original Morton book came out, HM had CPB invited to the Royal Box at Ascot. CPB, it must be said, appeared wearing a Prince of Wales houndstooth suit, which I have always thought of her version of the 'screw you' dress. However, I recently read in the new book A year with the Queen, that QEII was decidedly not in favor of the marriage for Constitutional issues (divorce, Cof E), and that the subject was not allowed to be brought up while the Queen Mother was alive. After all, the only reason she WAS Queen Mother, was because Edward was not allowed to marry his divorced mistress (and he was ALREADY King). I personally think it was the reason she did not attend the wedding. That was certainly a strong signal. It may well be that BP does want to make C a 2nd tier Royal. Beween styling her D of C and Princess consort rather than Queen consort, one could certainly speculate so. I also think that the 'Grey Men' have not much respect for spouses married into the RF in general. They certainly seem to enjoy telling people what they will and will not do.

It was an excelent decision, Camlla won´t attend the memorial service for Diana. Because Diana had a lot of problems with Camilla.

Its´s true Princess Diana wasn´t smart to face her problems, and her role like Crown Princess.

Jo of Palatine said:

I do see your point, Jo. But I also believe that it's good for Camilla to use the Cornwall/Chester/Rothesay title instead of PoW for the reason that it sets her apart from Diana. I realize Diana, obviously, had the same titles, but Diana was known for many years as HRH the PoW, and there are plaques around UK bearing Diana's mark as such. Conversely, the plaques saying HRH DofC have Camilla's mark. Everyone knows who this must be. This is her own mark. I understand exactly what you mean about Camilla having to "settle" in one sense for a second-rate title, but at the same time, would the attitudes of the press pack change just because of the title being PoW instead? I don't think so. It might, in fact, make the press attitudes worse for Camilla.

I see your point CasiraghiTrio, but let's just imagine Prince Charles becomes King, say, within next 2 years, and Prince William is already married. Prince William would likely be invested as Prince of Wales during a year or two. Would you suggest his wife to use the title 'The Duchess of Rothesay', simply because the Princess of Wales title is associated with Diana, and the Duchess of Cornwall title is associated with Camilla?

I was not happy with the DoC title, although I could understand it.
I think the idea Princess Consort title is just ridiculous. Equally ridiculous is pulling of the memorial service within days, when it has long been announced Camilla would attend.

Quote from "The Truth"'s thoughts on the subject, located at Diana & Royalty: Camilla to NOT attend Diana Memorial Service

Apparently, the media and the crazy Diana fanatics found that they knew Diana's wish better that anyone and spoke in her name to push Camilla out of the way at this service. Strange that Diana was actually able to yell from her grave to express her disaproval ... Her sons had agreed for a long time to invite their step mother with who they have a good relationship. Unfortunatly, the public decide that it was better to base their opinion on a person who died 10 years ago and didn't express any specifical wish on that point, than trusting her boys in which she had great faith.

I am sorry, perhaps I am a bit dense, but I just somehow fail to see how persons other the children of Diana should be attempting to make these types of decisions. Furthermore, I think it is quite impertinent that people would take it upon themselves to usurp Diana's sons own wishes. This whole situation is frankly, annoying and unsettling. Not that I have any personal interest invested here, but I do think it is always important to include family and that is what the boys consider Camilla to be--Family. Such a difficult time for the Duchess. Perhaps we should begin a letter writing campaign to let her know that people the world over are supportive of her.

I am sorry,

Here here, Empress. Decisions are made in the BRF based on what they decide on their own.

Let us remember:

The memorial is what these young men wanted.
They invited Camilla, she at first accepted, then declined.
Diana's legacy, good, bad, indifferent is still, and will still make some sort of impact whether anyone likes it or not.

It will be over on Friday.

If Diana's sons are ok with Camilla at this point...I don't see why everyone else can't just deal and move on...

I am sorry, perhaps I am a bit dense, but I just somehow fail to see how persons other the children of Diana should be attempting to make these types of decisions. Furthermore, I think it is quite impertinent that people would take it upon themselves to usurp Diana's sons own wishes. This whole situation is frankly, annoying and unsettling. Not that I have any personal interest invested here, but I do think it is always important to include family and that is what the boys consider Camilla to be--Family. Such a difficult time for the Duchess. Perhaps we should begin a letter writing campaign to let her know that people the world over are supportive of her.

I am sorry,

I hope the "boys" realize what they have done when they decided on a public service instead of mourning their mother in more private circumstances. They let the old spectre of the Charles-Diana-Camilla- triangle out of its grave instead of the memory of their beloved mum. Serves them right, I think. But I'm sorry for Charles and Camilla.

Quote from "The Truth"'s thoughts on the subject, located at Diana & Royalty: Camilla to NOT attend Diana Memorial Service

Apparently, the media and the crazy Diana fanatics found that they knew Diana's wish better that anyone and spoke in her name to push Camilla out of the way at this service. Strange that Diana was actually able to yell from her grave to express her disaproval ... Her sons had agreed for a long time to invite their step mother with who they have a good relationship. Unfortunatly, the public decide that it was better to base their opinion on a person who died 10 years ago and didn't express any specifical wish on that point, than trusting her boys in which she had great faith.

I am sorry,

If I read you well, you agree with me. I feel sorry for Camilla who had to go through the hostility of so many who aren't capable of justifing their attacks.

Well it is a public ceremony, not a private one, so the press, the royalists, the camilla haters and lovers etc everyone included can say and feel whatever they want.

Yes, that's true, but I think Empress was referring to the people who are saying that this episode will make them think less highly of the princes or of Charles or Camilla or whatever, when the chances are that the decisions have been made by other people and these royals have had very little say in what happens. If, just for example, the Queen's private secretary decides that Camilla should go and then that she shouldn't, there's no point blaming William and Harry for what happened. They may well have been the ones who wanted the memorial service and wanted (or even not wanted) to invite Camilla, but the final decision would have been made elsewhere.

Perhaps we should begin a letter writing campaign to let her know that people the world over are supportive of her. [/COLOR]

You have convinced me. I am going to send Camilla's office a supportive letter. Just to let her know that she has many people in the world who admire her conduct in the face of so much hostility. I think she would like to have many letters like this. I know I would.

To Avalon: We agree completely about the Princess Consort proposition being so ridiculous. I think by the time William is Prince of Wales (if he is ever, for Wales might not want another English Prince) attitudes will be considerably different. Diana's "hold" over the title, if you will, must be worn off greatly by then. She will be more faded, though respectably, to a place in history.

Here here, Empress. Decisions are made in the BRF based on what they decide on their own.

Let us remember:

The memorial is what these young men wanted.
They invited Camilla, she at first accepted, then declined.
Diana's legacy, good, bad, indifferent is still, and will still make some sort of impact whether anyone likes it or not.

It will be over on Friday.

It won't be. Not now. If she'd gone ahead and turned up there, it would have been over when it was over, barring a bit of post-mortem sniping from the Mail and its ilk. But now the tabloids and the Diana fanatics have realised that, for whatever reason (probably something to do with senior palace advisors), the Duchess is vulnerable. It won't be over. It's only just started.

It won't be. Not now. If she'd gone ahead and turned up there, it would have been over when it was over, barring a bit of post-mortem sniping from the Mail and its ilk. But now the tabloids and the Diana fanatics have realised that, for whatever reason (probably something to do with senior palace advisors), the Duchess is vulnerable. It won't be over. It's only just started.

And I ask myself why the "boys" keep quiet and let Camilla eat what they have cooked up....

After a day is past and i had some time to think about it, i´m still sad and disappointed, and i also feel after this decsion something has changed in my pic of the British Royals.

I will ignore this memorial service, i´m no longer interested in it. I don´t want to watch it on TV or read about it in the press.

I´m convinced that Camilla gets not enough support from the Royal Family. It´s a shame to make a victim of her. I´m dissppointed because of the weakness and inconsistance of the Royals. There are first class and second class members in their family?

I´m no longer conviced that there will be a King Charles and a Queen Camilla. The next King and Queen will be made by Kay and Co.

I´m disappointed of Charles too ( although i still love him ) because i would expect of him that he doesn´t allowed to treat his wife this way.

These Diana-fans who say that the Princess is an icon or legend, but who don´t know words like forgiveness and love ,are guilty (in my mind) too of what happend now.
For the moment i´m not interested in talking to them any more. ( I don´t mean real and honest fans who never wanted this situation)

I will support Charles and Camilla on their way because i think they do so many things great, and they are still my Darling Royals.
But i hope that something like that will never happen again. I couldn´t bear it again, or then i would start to demonstrate for a British republic...

It would have been wise to think over a decision very very carefully in the beginning, BEFORE going public with it, considering all reactions, be it from the public or internally. After what the BRF has gone through in terms of Diana in life and death no reaction can be considered "unexpectedly" or "not to be foreseen" regarding Camilla taking part in a memorial service for Diana.

Then, when the decision is taken, STICK WITH IT!

If Camilla or Clarence House decides she goes, then she has to go, no matter what and not give in to critizism from whatever party.
If they decided she won't go, it had to be done in the beginning, with a short statement everyone would have understood or appreciated.

Another blunder from Clarence House's so called public reations department but as it happens again and again I wonder if the true reason for the newest PR desaster is Charles being totally immune to any suitable advise. He is the true loser here, because I believe the people won't really blame the Dutchess but Charles stubbornity and lack of seeing the sign of the times for this masterpiece of embarressment to the monarchy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom