Should Camilla attend the memorial service for Diana?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's always going to be some animosity toward Camilla just like there will always be some animosity towards Diana and for that matter towards the Royal Family in general.

I think Camilla will work it out in the longterm though precisely because the Royal Family has a longterm view. They're not in this job for this month's headlines (or for that matter) for this year's headlines. Their focus by necessity has to be on the reputation of the monarchy over a period of decades not single years.

But what is interesting is for those of you who claim you could care less...still post daily, and sometimes twice day, on here.
For those of you are seem to be so anti-Diana and are intent on NOT making a big deal about this, why post on this particular thread at all then? You of course have every right to, but I am just curious.
I presume I am one of the ones you are talking about, if not excuse my reply. I am sorry if you feel that I couldn't care less about Camilla attending this memorial, I do care and believe passionately that as the wife of Prince Charles and stepmother to his sons, indeed with an invitation from his and Diana's sons, she should attend. That as they know better than anyone posting on here what really went on within that ill fated, mismatched marriage and know all the people involved personally, they, more than anyone should have the final say in such a decision.

I can't say I count how many times I or someone else posts, if I am having a conversation or feel I have a point I wish to make, I make a post. That is the beauty of laptops, mobile phones, desktops and email notification. The primary discussions I go to are the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall threads, which is of course where this discussion is situated.

Memorials to public figures at significant anniversaries are not uncommon in any part of the world. We see it with JFK, Elvis, etc.
It certainly seems to be a very 'foreign' thing. We hold memorials for historical events, WW1, WW2, The Falklands and I think the record labels celebrated 25 years of The Beatles.

As for the polls, the internet/phone polls are open for and clearly abused. The recent poll for ICM shouted that 54% (I think) of the British people didn't want Camilla to be Queen, how can they possibly say that, they only ask just over 1000! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I agree, Skydragon, they do the same thing here in the U.S. How could a 1,000 people stand for a whole country in a poll? It is logistically and mathematically impossible.

And we both hope things go smoothly that day for all of them...

Hope you are doing well.

Lady M

Well there is supposed to be a whole science behind polling.

I always find it funny that people question polls when the outcome doesn't support their own viewpoint.....

Either way it doesn't matter, public opinion towards Camilla is growing and softening so eventually it will be a majority in her favour
MORI - Monarchy Trends

Last edited:
i think this will be the last memorial event we'll see. anything after this anything to remember her will be strictly for the immediatley family (unless they rename a theater or park or something like that) and probably won't even be mentioned in the press. for some reason i don't think it's strange that they've arranged to have it but like i say it'll probably be the last one we hear about.

i think this will be the last memorial event we'll see. anything after this anything to remember her will be strictly for the immediatley family (unless they rename a theater or park or something like that) and probably won't even be mentioned in the press. for some reason i don't think it's strange that they've arranged to have it but like i say it'll probably be the last one we hear about.

Do you really think this will be the last menorial to Diana?
I don't think so. Monoco's royal family is celebrating Princess Grace's 25 anniversary of her death. I hope the princes will do the same for Diana.:)

It certainly seems to be a very 'foreign' thing. We hold memorials for historical events, WW1, WW2, The Falklands and I think the record labels celebrated 25 years of The Beatles.

You don't think there will be a memorial for the Queen Mother later on?

I agree, Skydragon, they do the same thing here in the U.S. How could a 1,000 people stand for a whole country in a poll? It is logistically and mathematically impossible.

And we both hope things go smoothly that day for all of them...

Hope you are doing well.

Lady M
Thank you, you also. :flowers:
A friend explained to me that the pollsters are given a specific age group or area to question. It could be people in London with a specific area dialing code or in street polls, within a certain age group.

It sounds as if the American pollsters credit the American people with the same amount of intelligence as the British ones, if they expect you to have any belief in 1000 people giving a true indication of the nations feelings. :lol:

You don't think there will be a memorial for the Queen Mother later on?
Possibly, but (without trying to start a war), she was a royal when she died, so that would be different.

Possibly, but (without trying to start a war), she was a royal when she died, so that would be different.
More than merely royal, she was a Queen and a former Empress.

More than merely royal, she was a Queen and a former Empress.
Yes, she was at that! :ROFLMAO:

The Prince of Wales - Friday 31st August 2007

The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will attend a Service of Thanksgiving for the Life of Diana, Princess of Wales at the Guard's Chapel, Birdcage Walk, London.
Prince William and Prince Harry will attend a Service of Thanksgiving for the Life of Diana, Princess of Wales at the Guard's Chapel, Birdcage Walk, London.
- - - - - - - - -

:clap: No excuses then! :clap::britflag:

I'm glad we have definite information now. The whole Wales Family will be in attendance. :powfeathers:

As Skydragon said, no excuses now.

Last edited:
Perhaps the thread title could be changed to "Should the Wales Attend the Memorial Service as a Family?" :D

Perhaps the thread title could be changed to "Should the Wales Attend the Memorial Service as a Family?" :D
Oh no, another 36 pages, could we stand it? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Both the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh will attend the service, as stated in the Royal Diary. So will The Earl and Countess of Wessex.

Good..I am happy she is going. I may not care for her really, but hopefully...in some way, this can bring a sense of much need closure.

Does anyone know if it will be shown here in the U.S. on CNN, MSNBC, FOX, or even BBC America?

Thank you all!!!

I must say I am proud of all of us getting through this thread without really going over the edge about it. :)

Cheers to all of us!!

Now, after the memorial is over of course, will come the infamous:

Did you see what they were wearing??? :)

We will probably have to do a different thread for the clothes discussion alone...lol...

Happy Friday!!

does not look like bbc america will be showing it

BBC America - TV Schedule

is this a network?

APTN | Broadcast Services | Current / Upcoming Events | Memorial Service for the 10th Anniversary of Princess Diana's Death

Does anyone know if it will be shown here in the U.S. on CNN, MSNBC, FOX, or even BBC America?

Thank you all!!!

I must say I am proud of all of us getting through this thread without really going over the edge about it. :)

Cheers to all of us!!

Last edited:
France isn't broadcasting it either but I'm sure someone will put it on YouTube.

You`re a tough girl, Camilla! But I did expect it.:flowers:

I´m sure she will behave perfectly. Imagine Charles is the most nervous person there. He will be anxious for Camilla. Hopefully nothing will be happen.

Do you really think this will be the last menorial to Diana?
I don't think so. Monoco's royal family is celebrating Princess Grace's 25 anniversary of her death. I hope the princes will do the same for Diana.:)

i think, and this is really only my opinion, that anything in the future will be a very quiet family only event. :)

i haven't seen anything to indicate that it'll be telecast here in canada.

But what is interesting is for those of you who claim you could care less...still post daily, and sometimes twice day, on here.. :)

For those of you are seem to be so anti-Diana and are intent on NOT making a big deal about this, why post on this particular thread at all then? You of course have every right to, but I am just curious.

Point is that this thread is about HRH The Wife of The Prince of Wales - which is Camilla, not Diana.:) The situation as it is leads definately to postings from the supporters of Camilla, so I wonder why you are curious?

thanks for the dailymail article, interesting reading.
*quote from article that bothers me the most

*William, 25, who is personally organising the memorial service along with Harry, insists he is happy for Camilla to be there. He is said to be 'immensely' upset and frustrated that the event has been overshadowed by rows over the guest list. He is angry at the way this issue has been allowed to overshadow the service that he and Harry have spent so long organising. "They rarely speak about her in public because her death is still so painful for them both. It's not the way they wanted it at all."

it's a crying shame all this has caused dianas boys pain. i suppose someone should have seen this coming but at the same time it surprises me how it got so ugly.
(i swore i wasn't going to post on this thread again 10 pages ago:bang: i'll ask again is it over yet.

I do not understand why Prince William expresses his anger towards the outcry from “the Diana circle” regarding his beloved stepmother‘s presence in the commemoration service devoted to his Mother. He should have expected it. If he did not wish to attract the attention to this fact, he should have insisted on a service for the immediate family members only and invited his beloved stepmother without causing any controversies.
It does not matter what both Princes say or do, the loyal fans will see Duchess of Cornwall as “the woman Diana openly blamed for many of her marriage troubles …” (English, 2007, ¶27).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom