Should Camilla attend the memorial service for Diana?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A public poll of who exactly? Notice only 1001 people took part and that every result was rounded up. It really is laughable. I hope Camilla isn't losing sleep over this. The majority of the public couldn't care less about the entire event, let alone whether HRH goes or not.
Be fair BeatrixFan, they were going to ask 1100 people, but the others hung up when the pollster mentioned The Dogdirt Mail. :ROFLMAO:

But 51 per cent insist their view has not been changed
That is probably because they liked Camilla before and their opinion has not changed! :rolleyes:

It would be the best , if Camilla would stay at home and not attend the Diana memorial service.

I am not a Camilla fan, but she is the wife of the british crown prince and his alloud to accompany him when ever she wants. Its hardly to accept, but this is the fact.

By the way, when is the much discussed memorial service?
Tomorrow?

Side-note: the memorial service will be held in the Guards Chapel, Wellington Barracks. It once was the wedding venue of then Miss Camilla Rosemary Shand with her dashy Guards officer Andrew.....

I would like to think that you're right, but my opinion is that the whole exercise is part of an effort to show everyone as warm and wonderful and forgiving and understanding. It just doesn't fadge with me. Nor do I believe that it's at all necessary or even a good idea. I cannot rid myself of the idea that it's all showbiz and an attempt to airbrush the hatefulness and damage and spite that the whole Diana era occasioned. There is nothing wrong or special about Diana's sons wishing to have a memorial service for their mother, but turning it into a public spectacular is not fitting, in my opinion, but it will get into the history books. I repeat, I'm disappointed in all of them.

I understand that most will disagree with me, but them's my views.

I think your comment about wanting to airbrush the hatefulness and damage and spite about the whole Diana era is especially perceptive Polly. I can understand William and Harry for wanting a more harmonious and well-tempered memory of the events of his mother's life to go in the history books of people's consciousness. With the news reports out now, I don't know whether they will succeed but its good that they are trying.

For William especially who knew more than most the ups and downs of both his father and mother's marriage and whose mother died just as he was getting close to his father, I think he just needs a way to think of all of them together without all the bad thoughts and feelings that occurred at the time. I do agree with you that it can be seen as airbrushing the hatefulness but I think sometimes history can be so hateful a little airbrushing is necessary especially for those left (like the boys) who have to have a lot of dealings with parties from either side. I think this is a way for them to bring closure to the whole episode so that they can go out and do just that.

Because of the nasty reports going out, I doubt if the boys can succeed but I do admire them for trying because I don't think that Charles and the Royal House encouraged it so much. The Queen may not be media saavy but I think she predicted what would happen in the papers and I think she would have preferred to avoid it as would Charles and Camilla. The successes of their last two years together have been wiped out of the papers like they didn't even exist which is particularly unfair to Camilla.

Will the Royal Family overcome the hurt feelings? I think they will in the long run but I can't imagine them putting the idea into William and Harry's heads.

Last edited:
Tomorrow?

Side-note: the memorial service will be held in the Guards Chapel, Wellington Barracks. It once was the wedding venue of then Miss Camilla Rosemary Shand with her dashy Guards officer Andrew.....
Isnt it on 31st August 2007, 10th Anniversary of the Princess's death?

Yes, it's on August 31st.

Well, so many years have been passed. I am sure that Diana would had re-marry too, if she were still alive. And so I am sure Camilla would be regarded with less hate by many people.

So: If William and Harry have nothing against it (and I am sure they made peace with Camilla), nobody else should care. But: It would perhaps be more tasteful if Charles and Camilla would not sit in the first row.

Yes, it's on August 31st.

Well, so many years have been passed. I am sure that Diana would had re-marry too.

Indeed.
I'm sure The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall would have invited mr. Dodi al Fayed and Lady Diana al Fayed née Spencer formerly Mountbatten-Windsor for the Prince's 60th birthday bash as well.

People go on with their lives. Also royal people.

:flowers:

I agree she would have been invited with her spouse, but I'm quite sure he wouldn't be named al Fayed!:flowers:

the airbrush comment was interesting to me as well. while i understand and agree with it is it really important that some are trying to attempt it? all the negativity aside, diana did some wonderful things...she comforted people, she helped to bring certain undesirable causes to the forefront, she made people smile and feel good. aren't the good things the most important things to remember. tragedy took a mother away from her young children and they were initially criticized for not publicly remembering her and now that they're doing that people are changing the focus to list a litany of reasons why certain people should/shouldn't attend. diana may have had her issues with these people but if they can attend and carry themselves in a dignified manner and allow the event to be what it is - a remembrance of all the good things about her - which i'm sure camilla can and will do then i why should it be a problem. if it turns into a media circus it won't be her fault but the fault of the media itself and the people that support that media by buying the papers that report it.

I am with you little star but somehow it's a lose lose situation for Camilla because she will be critizised either way. I personally don't want to see her in the front row but somehow she belongs next to Charles as his wife. If she doesn't go at all it looks like giving in to the media pressure. Besides, the princes have invited her. If they didn't anyone would assume that there is trouble in the family, which is obviously not the case. So if the family has moved on, we should too, but on the other hand a media focus on Camilla attending and monitoring any movement in her face does spoil the purpose, remembering Diana.
I completely agree and you hit the nail on the head! Camilla, regardless of what she does will be criticised in the media and by the public.

I would like to think that you're right, but my opinion is that the whole exercise is part of an effort to show everyone as warm and wonderful and forgiving and understanding. It just doesn't fadge with me. Nor do I believe that it's at all necessary or even a good idea. I cannot rid myself of the idea that it's all showbiz and an attempt to airbrush the hatefulness and damage and spite that the whole Diana era occasioned. There is nothing wrong or special about Diana's sons wishing to have a memorial service for their mother, but turning it into a public spectacular is not fitting, in my opinion, but it will get into the history books. I repeat, I'm disappointed in all of them.

I understand that most will disagree with me, but them's my views.

PW and PH are old enough to know what they want and what they want, they made clear, is two aspects of Diana to be celebrated: the charity concert to celebrate her life, the memorial service to pay respects to her memory. I can see nothing wrong with it as is, and it doesn't matter what anyone's intention is, because the outcome is overall just fine. Even if the intent of members of the RF is to "boost our brownie points" for honoring Diana, who cares? What harm does such "intent" do? No harm. And in the process, people remember a good-hearted woman who, for all her problems, made a difference in some important areas.

absolutely right CT...that's exactly what i was trying to say.

Tomorrow?

You're right but I wonder if there is anybody here on these forums who was not aware of that fact?

You're right but I wonder if there is anybody here on these forums who was not aware of that fact?

I suppose apart from the Chapel royal at St James, the Guards Chapel next to BP is probably the favorite chapel for the royal family for private services. APB and Camilla had used it, as its commonly used by Household Cavalry officers' marriages, I think, and also royal staff. Wasn't Lady Jane Fellowes and Robert, of course now Baron, Fellowes married there?

I suppose apart from the Chapel royal at St James, the Guards Chapel next to BP is probably the favorite chapel for the royal family for private services. APB and Camilla had used it, as its commonly used by Household Cavalry officers' marriages, I think, and also royal staff. Wasn't Lady Jane Fellowes and Robert, of course now Baron, Fellowes married there?

A strange choice if it is so popular.
The Guards Chapel is breathtakingly ugly.
See picture.

By the way: it had nothing to do with the life of the late Diana, Princess of Wales, probably apart from her links to Guards Officer James Hewitt and the marriage venue of her rivale.

In all aspects a weird choice.

Last edited:
rather modern for a city filled with lovely old buildings isn't it.

rather modern for a city filled with lovely old buildings isn't it.

Not only that.
The chosen Chapel had no any significance to the late Diana, Princess of Wales.

A service at St. George's Chapel in Windsor, or the Chapel at St. James' Palace, or in the Abbey, or at St. Pauls, looks more logic to me.

Not only that.
The chosen Chapel had no any significance to the late Diana, Princess of Wales.

A service at St. George's Chapel in Windsor, or the Chapel at St. James' Palace, or in the Abbey, or at St. Pauls, looks more logic to me.

Not to mention Prince Charles aversion to asthetically bad Modern architecture. I would think St. James Palace but that's just my two cents.

Is the memorial service for the late Diana, Princess of Wales, intended to be a public (and broadcased) affair?

Or will it be a private affair with no media allowed inside the Chapel?

Because the Chapel is adjacent to Wellington Barracks, an enclosed and secured area, it looks not easily accessible to the public. And also the size of the Chapel looks not fit for a live TV coverage.

A strange choice if it is so popular.
The Guards Chapel is breathtakingly ugly.
See picture.

By the way: it had nothing to do with the life of the late Diana, Princess of Wales, probably apart from her links to Guards Officer James Hewitt and the marriage venue of her rivale.

In all aspects a weird choice.

"Breathtakingly ugly," he says! :lol: It is, indeed. Well, I suppose the PW and PH had their reasons for it. There must have been loads of considerations to factor it, none of which we mere "mortals" are privy too, naturally. :rolleyes:

They could not do it in the St James chapel royal or the Queen's chapel because they are closed in August and September, according to royal official site. I didn't know it until just now, as I was interested as you in why they weren't chosen.

Well yes it's ugly but it's modern and not creepy like very old buildings. It gives to this memorial a touch of new, '10 years-but-not-forgotten' feeling. I know it sounds crazy but that's what I think ;)

They could not do it in the St James chapel royal or the Queen's chapel because they are closed in August and September, according to royal official site.

Euh.... I don't know how it works in Great Britain, but over here in the Netherlands the 3 royal residences which are accessible for the public are immediately (partly) closed if it pleases Her Majesty to use one of these venues.... Other three residences remain always closed.

Just a click with the fingers or a lifted eyebrow by Bea is enough to let the staff run and close the family chapel at Het Loo, for an example.

So Lillibet, click your fingers and open St. James's !

:lol:

Last edited:
They are both Guards Officers, the chapel is the official chapel of the Guards, what is weird about that? :flowers:

You mean the sons of the late Diana?

Only Prince Harry has joined the Blues and Royals I thought.
Prince William has not yet enrolled into a certain regiment.

But I mean: was this concrete building special to Diana? I would even consider the parish church in Althorp as a better choice!

They are both Guards Officers, the chapel is the official chapel of the Guards, what is weird about that? :flowers:

That's actually a good point. I didn't think of it. Also, in light of the recent re-opening of the Guards Museum, maybe they wanted to do their part for the regiment.

Henri, I think PW joined the Blues and Royals after his graduation from Sandhurst. I had the impression his training for the tank recon missions (which I guess he is now finished with) was in attachment to the Blues and Royals, just like PH.
Euh.... I don't know how it works in Great Britain, but over here in the Netherlands the 3 royal residences which are accessible for the public are immediately (partly) closed if it pleases Her Majesty to use one of these venues.... Other three residences remain always closed.

Just a click with the fingers or a lifted eyebrow by Bea is enough to let the staff run and close the family chapel at Het Loo, for an example.

So Lillibet, click your fingers and open St. James's !

:lol:

Come on, Henri, the British royal family and their staffers don't just "click the fingers"! You know it, they pass a million and one memos a million directions, back and forth, and then there are the "constitutional, logistical, and other" matters to write more memos about, before anything goes into effect!! :lol:

Last edited:
perhaps they opted to stay away from any of the places directly associated with the RF...windsor, westminster, st. james.

Well yes it's ugly but it's modern and not creepy like very old buildings. It gives to this memorial a touch of new, '10 years-but-not-forgotten' feeling. I know it sounds crazy but that's what I think ;)

Well I guess creepy is in the eye of the beholder. :confused: I love the old buildings of London. Its my favorite part of visiting the city.

Because of the nasty reports going out, I doubt if the boys can succeed but I do admire them for trying because I don't think that Charles and the Royal House encouraged it so much. The Queen may not be media saavy but I think she predicted what would happen in the papers and I think she would have preferred to avoid it as would Charles and Camilla. The successes of their last two years together have been wiped out of the papers like they didn't even exist which is particularly unfair to Camilla.

Not for the first time, Ysbel, do I think that you're right on the money!

I don't know what The Queen thinks, but from past experience, she's against any display of pomp and circumstance surrounding private family matters.

If the gossip is true and it's Charles who's insisting on Camilla's attendance, then we can draw the conclusion that Camilla has a great deal more sensitivity and common sense than those around her. Which brings me to another reason why I dislike the idea of this memorial service.

Just who, do you think, will suffer from bad publicity, ill-will, criticism and indignation in all of this? Camilla, of course.

Who is going to suffer the odium of hypocrisy in the press? Camilla, of course.

Who suffers most when the death of Diana is continually harkened to, pronounced upon, discussed and dissected? Camilla, of course.

Diana's sons complain continually that the press won't let their mother rest in peace. But who is it, lately, who keeps thrusting her life and death into the limelight? And who does it remind ordinary people of and cause them to remember and reflect most poorly on? Camilla, of course.

As she'll be Queen one day (no matter what she's called), who deserves to have her reputation and integrity re-established and unquestioned? Camilla, of course.

This memorial does her, above everything else, a great disservice, I believe.

Camilla is a very sensible woman -- I think she should take the high road and stay home and be ready to soothe the fevered brow of dear Charles who somehow has made this memorial service about him and his wants and needs. The young princes quite rightly invited Camilla, but I think they will be relieved if she politely declines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom