Should Camilla attend the memorial service for Diana?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's official: Queen Mary has rolled over in her grave....

Posted by "Not A Pretender"
Personally, I think a tremendous gesture on her part would be to take a piece of jewelry from the personal collection bestowed on her by the POW and offer it for auction - the proceeds going Diana of Wales' foundation.

:eek: Egads! WHY, and I cannot emphasize this enough, WHY would or should Camilla sell a piece of her jewelry to benefit Diana's foundation? That is unnecessary. Those are personal gifts that have nothing to do with Diana. If I sold a piece that my husband purchased for me "just because" so I could benefit some charity he would have my hide. Camilla need have no role in the Diana Foundation. I can see the headlines now if she were to do something like that "Camilla trying to buy approval". Really...

Last edited:
It's a no win situation from any angle for Camilla:

If she shows up with her husband and her step-children, at their request, she is showing disrespect to the memory of Diana. Even if Camilla liked Diana all along, (which no one knows for sure if she did or did not) and wanted to pay her repects, she will be criticized by some for being disprespectful because it was widely publicized that Diana did not like Camilla.

If Camilla does not show up out of respect for Diana, knowing that Diana did not like her, she will again be seen for being disrepectful to her husband and her step-children, as they asked her to be present at the memorial.

I think that if she declines the invitation to the memorial out of repect for Diana, than Charles should also decline, since he also played a huge part in Diana's unhappiness.

If she accepts the invitation, I think it would be a smart P.R. move on her part to release some sort of formal letter to the public before the event, saying that she is going to the memorial at the request of her step-children, but that she by no means is trying to be disrepspectful of Diana's memory.
Or something along those lines.
Either way, whatever Camilla does, she will be criticized.

I believe it is a short term discussion. Camilla will show up at the memorial service, looking every inch the lady she is, she will stay in the background as usual and then go home with her husband. End of situation. She will give noone actually a reason for more talk than just the fact that she was there, IMHO.

I've finally come to a decision. I think that Camilla will do what she personally thinks will give her the best image with the British people. Let's face it: for the most part, the British people truly are Diana fans. Camilla is going to get bashed whether she goes or she doesn't go. She just has to pick what she or Charles thinks will save her image the best in the minds of the British people.

BTW, for all the people who seem to think that I am bashing Camilla in some way: I'm not. I like her a lot, but I think that she needs to make smart decisions when it comes to this.

I've finally come to a decision. I think that Camilla will do what she personally thinks will give her the best image with the British people.

Well, that may be the case, but I hope she'd do what she personally thinks is the best thing for Prince Charles. I think she doesn't really have a lot of choice - she had to be invited or it'd look as though she was being snubbed, and having been invited, she pretty much had to accept or it'd look as though she was admitting guilty of some sort or insulting Diana's memory or whatever. I'm sure that if Princess Margaret had still been alive, she'd have put a good face on her fallout with Diana over the Panorama interview and turned up. These sorts of occasions aren't really about people's private feelings, especially in the royal family.

Skydragon, it really doesn't take you long to discover new smilies, does it? That spider has been in the smilie collection for less than a week! (I just updated the Halloween ones a few days ago)

Skydragon, it really doesn't take you long to discover new smilies, does it? That spider has been in the smilie collection for less than a week! (I just updated the Halloween ones a few days ago)
Elspeth once you know they are there, you can't help but keep looking and planning what you can use them for. They really are brilliant and you know how grateful I am to you for providing them all! :rose2::notworthy:

Sensible Suggestion

Sesa wrote:

"If she accepts the invitation, I think it would be a smart P.R. move on her part to release some sort of formal letter to the public before the event, saying that she is going to the memorial at the request of her step-children, but that she by no means is trying to be disrespectful of Diana's memory."

That is eminently sensible.

And to the poster who indicated that perhaps a family should behave differently under these circumstances of second marriages based in infidelity, you need to carefully read my post in which it was clearly stated that we were not disrespectful of this second wife, but that she was not the holder of the title "grandmother." With which the most persnickety genealogist must agree.

I sincerely hope it would go without saying that she means no disrespect to Diana's memory. I think a letter like that would give the tabloids a field day. It would be taken as if a person who knows she's in the wrong is trying to desperately justify her actions. Sometimes there's a lot to be said for a dignified silence - when you know that whatever you do will be used against you, the best course is often to not do anything.

It's amazing that the woman you keep telling us, was loving, caring, a great humanitarian, could continue to cause so much division for some, 10 years after her death. What a legacy of hope and forgiveness she leaves through her fans.

Well said, Skydragon. I find it very sad that some Diana fans express their "love" for Diana by voicing their hatred and contempt for Camilla and/or Charles at every opportunity. And now, the issue of whether or not Camilla should or will attend is receiving so much media attention it threatens to eclipse the very purpose of the memorial service, which is to remember and celebrate Diana's life.

As far as I am concerned, Camilla was invited as a member of the Royal Family, she should attend, and the media should focus on the service and not be preoccupied with those in attendance.

No letter is required. Nor is the sale of jewellery. {personal comments deleted - Elspeth}

Last edited by a moderator:
And to the poster who indicated that perhaps a family should behave differently under these circumstances of second marriages based in infidelity,
You wrote "We were not disrespectful to her, but we had exactly one paternal grandmother, who was laid in her grave in 1960. My grandfather's second wife (his partner in adultery) was not my grandmother, and not my father's mother.", so it would seem that was all you thought of her, rather than accepting her as an individual, who clearly loved your grandfather.

Tabby said:
I find it very sad that some Diana fans express their "love" for Diana by voicing their hatred and contempt for Camilla and/or Charles at every opportunity. And now, the issue of whether or not Camilla should or will attend is receiving so much media attention it threatens to eclipse the very purpose of the memorial service, which is to remember and celebrate Diana's life.

As far as I am concerned, Camilla was invited as a member of the Royal Family, she should attend, and the media should focus on the service and not be preoccupied with those in attendance
Thank You Tabby, lovely post yourself.

BeatrixFan said:
No letter is required. Nor is the sale of jewellery
I agree, lets be honest, nothing short of "I'm sorry I am still alive" would do for some people!

Last edited:
I think that Camilla should go! She is not there for any other reason, but that the boys asked her to come. I know that just because you do not get along with some one (being family or friends) always does not mean that the death did not effect that person. I think that Camilla is doing what is best for her family and it does not matter what the world thinks.

I can´t believe that William and Harry love Camila. I suposse They have to tolerate Her.

I can´t believe that William and Harry love Camila. I suposse They have to tolerate Her.

Well, Harry said that they loved her, but I suppose you can choose not to believe them. That really isn't the topic of this thread, though.

I can´t believe that William and Harry love Camila.

Then you must think Prince Harry is a liar. for in his 21st birthday interview in 2005 Harry denied that Camilla was a "wicked stepmother", declaring that he and William "loved her to bits" and that it was good to have her around.

"To be honest with you, she's always been very close to me and William... But no, she's not the wicked stepmother. I'll say that right now," he said.

"Everyone has to understand that it's very hard for her. Look at the position she's coming into. Don't always feel sorry for me and William, feel sorry for her."

I personally don't think it would be a good idea for Camillla to assist in the memorial of Diana because she isn't really liked by some Daina fans. I think it would just add a lot more controversy than needed although it is Camilla's choice in the end.

Then don't have the memorial service. It's not exactly needed after the concert and if it causes this amount of hurt amongst the Di loons then it's just not worth having.

The Duchess was asked to attend by her family. I think it's very unselfish of her to go - it shows a tremendous amount of courage (because of the flack she continues to get) and love for her family (step-children included). I find myself amazed how the Duchess continues to be persecuted. Really and truly, what does anybody gain from it?

I've finally come to a decision. I think that Camilla will do what she personally thinks will give her the best image with the British people.

Where did you get the idea from that Camilla caters to the British public? She certainly never did that but behaved as she deemed right. Which found favour with a lot of people lately. I at least really think she will do what she (and her husband plus aides) think is the right way to behave. And she will do it with dignity. :flowers:

I think that at the end of the day common sense should prevail. Camilla was having a relationship with Prince Charles which Diana, as his wife, obviously objected to. Without getting into a debate about the rights/wrongs of either side it would thus be in poor taste for Camilla to attend the memorial, I mean, what is she remembering apart from the bitter disputes the two women had over Charles? I really don't favour either side but things were as they were and I think "the public" will think it very distasteful to see Camilla at this event.

Sorry because of my english...I don't write very good in tht language.

I think she souldn't go...she damaged Diana when the princess was married to prince Charles. I think that would be a provocation for people who loves Diana's memory.

___
es mi humilde opinión
___

Claudia

The eyes of Texas will be on her that day and she knows it....

I think this is a total non-discussion. Camilla is invited by the boys and so she will come, whether people like it or not. I mean, if William and Harry can get over it, we should probably ask ourselves if we're not exaggerating a bit. I think Diana can be proud that she has two open minded sons who are an example of forgivingness...

And next to that I think that Camilla will be all modesty while attending the ceremony. She has taken up her part with diginity and I'm not afraid we will see a change in her behaviour in the near future...
\

Maxie is correct. If Diana's boys can forgive her and accept her-then we all should too. I am very proud that the boys are mature in regards to Camilla's role in their lives and their father's. I think Camilla will have mixed feelings at the memorial service because of what people think and her relationship with Diana. I real feel for her at this occasion.

I still remember her at her wedding and how nervous she was that Charles had to help her find her place in the pray book. I think Camilla paid for things as much as Diana in the past.

I think if Diana lived we would have seen two divorced partners living in peace. My dear Diana please rest in peace now after 10 years.:angel:

I've finally come to a decision. I think that Camilla will do what she personally thinks will give her the best image with the British people. Let's face it: for the most part, the British people truly are Diana fans. Camilla is going to get bashed whether she goes or she doesn't go. She just has to pick what she or Charles thinks will save her image the best in the minds of the British people.

BTW, for all the people who seem to think that I am bashing Camilla in some way: I'm not. I like her a lot, but I think that she needs to make smart decisions when it comes to this.

People probably think that I'm a hypocrite now, since I keep changing my opinion. But I talked it over with an extremely intellegant friend, and they made me realize what risks Camilla would have if she went. First of all, you have to think about how Diana would feel about her being there. Diana would probably be strongly against Camilla being there (Diana would probably be strongly against the marriage in general, actually.). She hated the woman. Of course, as was stated earlier, Diana didn't like about half the people there. But, in the case of the members of the RF who she didn't like, they're as I said, members of the royal family. They weren't the "other party" in the marriage. Camilla is a member of the RF now just as much as any wife or husband is/was, but I don't think she should come, even though she has been invited. She should probably politely decline without making a big deal.

The eyes of Texas will be on her that day and she knows it....

That's fabulous Lady M...:ROFLMAO:

See Camilla hoping out of the Rolls, looking for the closest CNN or CBS media pact before placing her hand over her hat, kicks of the heels and just bolts for it, into the barracks...:lol:

Last edited:
I
think she souldn't go...she damaged Diana when the princess was married to prince Charles. I think that would be a provocation for people who loves Diana's memory.

I think if we're only concerned about the Diana fans who love her memory then we are short sighting the entire event. This is a memorial to remember Diana. Camilla's attendance is at the request of Diana's children, and thusly, Camilla will be there to honor Diana as their mother. I think it is very unselfish of her to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom