Should Camilla attend the memorial service for Diana?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Final thoughts...

As acknowledged, advisors of the Clarence House bear a certain degree of the responsibility for recent tensions in and embarrassment of the British Royal family. In my opinion, the advisors should visit Japan and share the professional experience with as well as benchmark best practices of the Imperial Household Agency as the latter manages the life of the Japanese Royal Family in an effective fashion and allows less blunders. :study:

Last edited:
Indeed. The Imperial Household Agency much prefers the Imperial Family to bleed to death through stress rather than blunder.

Camilla ´s not to blame for Diana´s death

(...) Yet blame should not be attached to her: she would have gone because her husband has asked her to, as had her stepsons, Diana´s children. She would have been there to support her family, not as a calculated snub to a public who feel that they, rather than her kin, are the true custodians of Diana´s memory.

Camilla's not to blame for Diana's death - Telegraph

I Her current humble “the Duchess of Cornwall” title will be viewed an irrelevant variable.

There are historians who believe the Duke of Cornwall-title to be higher than the Prince of Wales-title. They argue that The Duke of Cornwall always is the eldest son of the souverain while the Prince of Wales is the next in line. Under certain circumstances a grandson of the souverain can be the Prince of Wales (if his father died before his grandfather), but he can't be Duke of Cornwall.

{personal comment deleted - Elspeth}

What's at the center? Two motherless young men who were trying to give their mother an officially recognized memorial as opposed to a private one. What is certain is that somewhere down the road they would have been flayed alive by members of the public if they had done nothing. It made me a little sick to read that some were actually blaming Diana for this debacle, or calling the ensuing brew ha ha her "legacy". .
Two motherless young men, I suppose you could call them that, but probably not when they are out getting blind drunk or partying till the small hours. Then the tune seems to change. We don't flay people in this country anymore, but a great many of the British people are puzzled as to why they are holding a memorial at all.

This is Diana's legacy, people doing just the thing you have accused them of, fighting, backbiting, name calling and this above all is what will be remembered about this ill advised service.
But the Queen's ex-Press Secretary Dickie Arbiter
Ex being the operative word, he knows about as much as an ex does
I have read many accounts of Camilla taking Diana aside before the wedding and trying to glean info from her regarding her plans to hunt after the wedding, etc in order to see if she would still have HRH to herself during those times.....In Tina Brown's recent book.....
How many of the accounts were from the person concerned, oh that's right......none!

Last edited by a moderator:
The queen did not attend Camilla's birthday party at Highgrove - the Gloucestershire home the duchess shares with husband Prince Charles - on Saturday night (21.07.07), as it would have meant the 'low-key' event would have had to have been much more formal.
Right and what is wrong with that. It doesn't say the queen didn't want to go because....., merely that it would have put a damper on it for everyone else there. She apparently loves her granddaughter, but she also didn't attend that party! :rolleyes:
I read in a British magazine last week where an intimate of Camilla's said she was "dreading" attending this event...since some Diana supporters had threatened to pelt her with raw eggs outside the Guards Chapel.
Everyone who has ever followed Camilla knows that none of Camillas friends speak to the media. I just wonder how the 'Diana supporters' think they are going to get close enough, unsearched and unvetted, to any of the guests?
Sure Diana smuggled lovers into the Royal residences...AFTER her husband ceased to sleep with her
this article states that Diana was the first to have an affair, with her protection officer, he lost his job over it!Prince Charles's aides plotted against Diana - Telegraph

Is this really such a mess in the first place? Personally I think that PR-wise it isn´t too bad. The DoC first showed her good relationship with her stephsons by receiving the invitation and accepting it. After that she showed understanding for the public by cancelling her attendance. Isn´t that what the tabloids were screaming for 10 years ago when they used the flag-incident to say that the RF didn´t care the least for the British public? So I actually don´t understand the present fuss. It seems Camilla would be damned if she did and damned if she didn´t.

Another thing that escapes me is why people still get this hot blooded over somebody else´s marriage that sadly ended in a divorce, like that of around 40% of the British. Diana and Charles marriage didn´t fail IMHO because of the extra marital affairs. The extra marital affairs were a result of a marriage that didn´t work out the way they hoped and already failed in the first place. Obviously the two were not suited for each other, which resulted in both of them seeking refuge elsewhere.

Great articles, thank you. :flowers:

They'd have had no need to manage it if it was never allowed to happen in the first place. Those boys are responsible and didn't I always say they'd cause trouble?
And not for the first time, I have to concede you were RIGHT!

This is also from the Dirty Mail, amazing how all these people at Birkhall have been quick to get on the phone, a 'source close' to Camilla is another one.... I wonder whether they are talking about Heinz or Duchy Originals!

Charles and Camilla's furious row over Diana memorial service | the Daily Mail

Last edited:
Your Royal Highness Duchess of Cornwall please do attend the memorial. You have every right to it.

Just one point (yes another one :D) Charles never said he wanted to come back as Camillas tampon, he actually said - Or, God forbid, a Tampax. Just my luck!

:ROFLMAO: Oh dear god, not the Tampax again! :rolleyes:
Memory serves up an SNL episode with Dana Carvey playing Prince Charles and shrinking himself to the size of a flying tampon! :lol: Tacky tacky tacky!

Well, the Clarence House no longer keeps mum. Here is the official statement from the Duchess of Cornwall, posted at the PoW website. :neutral:
Statement from HRH The Duchess of Cornwall: "I am very touched to have been invited by Prince William and Prince Harry to attend the Thanksgiving Service for their mother, Diana, Princess of Wales. I accepted and wanted to support them.
"However, on reflection, I believe my attendance could divert attention from the purpose of the occasion, which is to focus on the life and service of Diana.
"I am grateful to my husband, William and Harry for supporting my decision."

No changes in the Diary section though, Camilla is still listed to attend the service.

Last edited:
Great articles, thank you. :flowers:

And not for the first time, I have to concede you were RIGHT!

Why accuse the princes of something? I think it is clear they like their stephmother and thus wanted her to be there. What if they hadn´t invited the DoC btw, the press would be screaming that they nevber forgave the Duchess for... etc etc. As I said above, there was no way this could have gone smoothly but the present strategy of Clarence House seemed to be the most sensible one.

What is wonderful to note, is that having just looked through the Radio Times (a UK TV programmes magazine), there are NO Diana tributes or anything else like that after the showing of the comedy 'The Queen' on Sunday! :lol:

Why accuse the princes of something? .
Who arranged this service, 10 years after she was dead and buried? Memorials, if they are held at all, are held within a few months. Therefore the Princes in their stupidity are to blame, closely followed by Ch & BP for encouraging Camilla to listen to the press hounds and the simple souls who still support a woman who has been dead for 10 years!

No changes in th Diary section though, Camilla is still listed to attend the service.

Either the websites' admin is not on top of things or this is just a big joke. But it just fits into the picture - no deeper reflection about the whole issue and no attention to detail to boot. Very amateurish.

This is the worst example of ivory tower mentality I can recall in recent years from a monarchy. And looking at William and his way handling his relationship? with Kate, I can only say like father like son.

I have an example to show people that Camilla could have attend if people had got more interest in her life.

At the wedding of Charles and Camilla, who was there ? Andrew Parker Bowles, ex husband of Camilla. I mean, inviting her ex husband to this occasion could have been seen as 'inappropriate' too.

Another thing, for myself I would have encouraged Camilla to go because not attending could have been noticed as unrespectful toward Diana, to not attend a service that honours someones life and work, i.e. don't give a damn of what she has done in her short life. Honestly, I don't understand why those fanatics think otherwise. This memorial is an honour made to her, and I believe that the more people are there to pay her respect, the better. Even if Camilla hurted Diana in her personal life, who says she didn't admire her in what she has done for charities ? Maybe Camilla wanted to go there for that and say : Look, we weren't in good terms but I still respect her for all the things she did to help people !

I think people jump on the Camilla-Charles-Diana triangle and didn't think of other possibilities.

I do not think that inviting the ex husband is inappropriate in the least. IF the two exes are on good terms with each other then there is no reason that they should not share in each others happiness. Especially when they share children. The case is simply not the same. Camilla and Diana, whether they hated each other or not, were in any case not on good terms with each other at the time of Dianas death.

what an enormous debate was created over such a small detail! okay, we all know what happened between the british trio, but if the people, press, royal family kept the matter low-profiled and kept quiet about it, none of this would have happened. it's not the easiest of the situations, but i think everyone has made it more difficult even. i believe camilla showed what a lady she is by writing that letter and following the queen's decision on her not attending the ceremony, even though the princes asked her to.

I do not think that inviting the ex husband is inappropriate in the least. IF the two exes are on good terms with each other then there is no reason that they should not share in each others happiness. Especially when they share children. The case is simply not the same. Camilla and Diana, whether they hated each other or not, were in any case not on good terms with each other at the time of Dianas death.

Okay that's different but she was an invited person like any other to honour someones life like I said in my previous post. Nobody can tell that Camilla doesn't respect at all Diana's achivements in life.

Burrell's furious phone calls as he is banned from Diana memorial service | the Daily Mail

Paul Burrell made angry phone calls to royal officials after being banned from Diana's memorial service, it was revealed today.

The former butler demanded to be given an explanation in two heated exchanges with aides at Prince Charles's office Clarence House. But it was made plain to him that he "was not wanted and the decision stood".

Do you think we can trust the Daily Mail, Skydragon ? :rolleyes:

the Burrual article has not been found,it displayed. It's funny.I guess they have deleted the article for their respects to Diana, Princess of Wales.

Could Saint Diana yet destroy the monarchy?
Could Saint Diana yet destroy the monarchy? | the Daily Mail

No sure about the result of mori poll. But I don't see a bright future for the monarchy either.

Last edited:
i thought this quote from the good timesonline article describes the mood leading up to this memorial. imho people have been using it to make $$$$$$ and cause trouble for the RF and a chance to knife camilla and smear a dead princess. (one thing for sure i'll bet camilla stands her ground more firmly and loudly over the advisors from now on)
imo it's not diana's fault SHES DEAD its not her sons fault, they love her and wanted to remember her, its not QEII fault, i'm sure she wanted to support her grandsons, its not camillas fault, lawd bless her she was danged if she did, and danged if she didn't. i lay it at the feet of clarence house and have from the beginning wondered if the princes "advisors" really have the duchess best interest in mind.
my hearts really sad that the Queens loyalists posters are so upset since i don't live in the UK and have no way of judging the mood of the country if their reaction is a reflection i worry about the monarchy. as i asked 30 pages ago "is it over yet" (the memorial not the monarchy)

After Diana, the explosion of vileness | Libby Purves - Times Online
*quote from article
*What happened that week was a form of mob violence, a magnified warping of sentiments that started out as genuine and kindly. It was done for pleasure: the pleasure of taunting the Windsors, and a sicklier pleasure too.

Libby Purves has always been a sensible commentator. I think this article deserves to be taken seriously, unlike some of the rubbish coming out of the Daily Mail.

I remember how disgusted I was at how the media bullied the royal family into going down to London to "show they cared". The whole thing was more than misguided. It was sick. This point was expressed well in the movie The Queen when Helen Mirren retorted against the PM's suggestion of "helping the people with their grief," saying: "Their grief?!" Honestly! :eek:

Burrell's furious phone calls as he is banned from Diana memorial service | the Daily Mail

Paul Burrell made angry phone calls to royal officials after being banned from Diana's memorial service, it was revealed today.

The former butler demanded to be given an explanation in two heated exchanges with aides at Prince Charles's office Clarence House. But it was made plain to him that he "was not wanted and the decision stood".

Well, he could spent that day in Paris - maybe on lunching or having dinner at the Ritz. Why insist to be invited to a service where he is not wanted by the family?

{deleted for consistency - Elspeth}

Two motherless young men, I suppose you could call them that.

You suppose you can call them that?

but probably not when they are out getting blind drunk or partying till the small hours. Then the tune seems to change..

Not by me. Having lost my father as a teenager they will always have my utmost empathy.

We don't flay people in this country anymore, but a great many of the British people are puzzled as to why they are holding a memorial at all.

Then they should turn down their invitations to attend when they arrive if it so wholly concerns them.

This is Diana's legacy, people doing just the thing you have accused them of, fighting, backbiting, name calling and this above all is what will be remembered about this ill advised service.

This is not Diana's legacy. Apparently I have to repeat the obvious statement that Diana is dead and had no opportunity to have an active hand in any it. Its the legacy of the people who were involved in the planning and participation of the event. The legacy of the people who used it for promoting their own agendas or to settle old scores. The legacy of the people who either rail against her very existence or wage a holy crusade in her name. Not Diana's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, he could spent that day in Paris - maybe on lunching or having dinner at the Ritz. Why insist to be invited to a service where he is not wanted by the family?

I suspect he is pushing his way because that seems to be what he does. He can be expected to try pushing his way until the last possible moment. I doubt that he will get his way, but if he doesn't I think we might see more articles after the memorial service is all said and done, complaining about his exclusion. He will probably enact some twisted act of revenge by pulling out another dirty secret from the moth balls (or his imagination). :eek:

I am new, so I hope I don't offend anyone, but aside from the acrimony and the sanctimony, what I read here is getting quite overboard. We have someone calling people nutters ( I assume as quaint English term for crazy), because their stance is opposite of theirs. The same person now, is scraming about the fall of the British Monarchy. Who's the "nutter"? This is the 10th anniversary of the Princes' Mother's death. I, and I could be wrong, think the princes wanted to honor their mother, in a way they couldn't at her death, because they were so young. Their father who is always more concerned with himself than anyone else, requested that their step-mother be invited. Thus it came to pass. Their step mother, whom I believe from the outset, knew the problems that would emanate from her appearance, tried to politley not be there. She is a sensible woman. Camilla is a shrewd and calculating person. She has gotten to this position in that manner. She does not want to have to face public discomfort. Her husband doesn't seem to care, as long as he gets his way. The whole thing is blown out of proportion. Those screaming she shouldn't be there and those who feel she has all the rights her station allows. She and Diana were not friends, to say the least. Many, right or wrong hold her culpable for the mess that ensued. It is a few hours of one day. If nothing were said in the inception, this would have all just gone away. For those who feel so angry at "St. Diana", but see poor St. Camilla defamed, I feel sorry for all. Camilla is smart, she knew it would be better to be Duchess of Cornwall than a second run Princess of Wales, with all the baggage that involved. Now, instead of quietly being able to read a book on Friday, her miserable looking face is beeing splashed all over your newspapers, juxtaposed to a young, beautiful, dead Diana. A very wise man once taught me, the less you make of something, the quicker it will go away. How sad for all that this incident had to occur, CH knew the rancor it would create and yet it stepped right into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom