Should Camilla attend the memorial service for Diana?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Camila shouldn´t assist to the memorial of Diana. I don´t understant why did William and Harry invite Her?
Quite possibly they know the truth about their mothers allegations and because of that are more than happy to ensure the woman who has been a friend to them over the years, is there as a much loved guest.

Some legacy! :eek:

Quite possibly they know the truth about their mothers allegations

I wouldn't go that far but I believe they have learnt to appreciate Camilla, they want their father to be happy and he is when he's with Camilla so ... :flowers:

It's definitely a lose-lose situation for Camilla as far as the press is concerned. She has to go though because on balance it would be worse if she did not.

If she doesn't go, people will likely see that as a pointed snubbing of Diana, and a specific insult, and the press will have a field day. If she just goes with the flow and attends with everyone else, she will be criticised by the usual people for all the usual reasons, but at least she'll be there at her husband's side and submitting herself to public scrutiny and "facing the music", as it were.

It's quite possible that a number of the people who attend will not have particularly liked Diana at the time of her death, or that Diana didn't like them, but Camilla is the only one whose right to attend is being questioned.

It is a memorial service, to recognise Diana's good points and contribution to society. I am as sure as I can be that Camilla recognised Diana's good qualities and was saddened by her death. Diana's sons have invited Camilla and Charles wants her there and she is his wife and should go. She is probably dreading it, and looking forward to it being over, and so am I. Maybe then Diana will be allowed to rest. She's been dead for 10 years after all, and it's time for her to be allowed to gracefully retire into history and let the living get on with it.

I think she should go. William and Harry, the two most important people on that day (besides Diana of course) want her there, so i think the public and press should step back and focus on the death of Diana not whether or not Camilla is there or not. It was years ago and people have grown and changed and i think the public/press need to respect that and allow the day to be filled with remembrance.

It is a memorial service, to recognise Diana's good points and contribution to society. I am as sure as I can be that Camilla recognised Diana's good qualities and was saddened by her death.

Wow, some members would hardly disagree with you but I do agree. Charles was very sad and when you love someone, that is suffering as he must have at this moment you can't say : "Ah, I never liked this girl, always this 'ridiculous person' to me' " or "she never loved you". If Camilla weren't Charles's mistress, she would have been a good friend to Diana. Alright, I know I'm gonna get killed for saying that but it's my opinion :flowers:.

I think if she doesn't go it will keep a rift, which needs to be healed for the sake of the continuance of the monarchy, open.

If William and Harry didn't invite Camilla to the memorial then she shouldn't go she has no place there. She wasn't Diana's family or friend.

I don't think Camilla should attend. It's not the Camilla v Diana thing, they were both pretty nasty. I just don't see Camilla genuinely mourning Diana and to pretend to is just not right. If she has bad feelings over Diana's death, then it's probably more guilt than genuine regard, like many people feel when someone dies that they haven't been particularly friendly to during life. (I'm not trying to make Camilla out to be a monster here, many many people feel that kind of guilt after a death). Of course I'm just speculating as we all do here.

Camilla will take Diana's place at her son's weddings, christining of Diana's grandchildren and every other major event in her son's lives. She will become queen as she should, she is a good wife to Charles. But in this one instance a "health issue" keeping her from attending may not go amiss.

This reminds us all how tough positions of high profile may be at times.
Camilla is between a rock and a hard place. No matter what she decides to do, she is going to be criticized and praised at the same time.
If she doesn't go, those who like her will say that she acted out of discretion, and those who don't, that she feels guilty.
On the other hand, if she goes, her enemies will call her a hypocrit, and her fans, courageous and a unifying force in the family.

Poor woman...Everyone is ready to get her to pieces. It must be very hard for her to be in the current situation she is. Every signle thing she does is compared to Lady Diana. Duchess Camilla is herself, and lady Diana was Lady Diana. The trouble here is that Prince Charles loved Camilla, not her first wife. And the medias...Oh! The medias are always there ready to make money of everyone. They needs to speak: is their work. So, if Duchess Camilla does a thing, they attacks her, and if not they does the same thing. No way...:neutral:

Vanesa.

I think she should go. 1st to respect Diana and 2nd because the boys invited her.

Camilla will take Diana's place at her son's weddings, christining of Diana's grandchildren and every other major event in her son's lives.

uh, no she won't Camilla is William and Harry's step-mother Diana is their mother Camilla can't replace her and nor should she try to.

But i don´t agree that it´s an interesting topic. Here you can find only the same old stuff for and against Diana or Camilla, we can read in all other threads with similar topics.

I do understand the statement it is you are making, and from the standpoint you have taken, I can agree, milla Ca.

Though I failed to adequately express that I was meaning the entire topic (indignant slinging matches aside), not just in this thread alone as it has encouraged huge amounts of interest and debate.

And again the question is not whether Camilla will attend or not, you can only like or dislike that she will attend.

But of course it's a question which is being asked. Will she or won't she (confirmation aside)? And I do believe she shall, which is, in my view, the only thing to do.

Last edited:
It's amazing that the woman you keep telling us, was loving, caring, a great humanitarian, could continue to cause so much division for some, 10 years after her death. What a legacy of hope and forgiveness she leaves through her fans.

The devide remains on both sides I believe it's fair and accurate to say.

Certainly it is evident within this forum alone.

Last edited:
I think that she would not have to be present.

I am astounded by the suggestion from people on here, that Camilla should not sit with Charles and the boys, who whether you like it or not are part of her family as she is theirs.

It's amazing that the woman you keep telling us, was loving, caring, a great humanitarian, could continue to cause so much division for some, 10 years after her death. What a legacy of hope and forgiveness she leaves through her fans.

Okay, first of all, yes, Camilla is a part of their family now. In any other situation, it would be certainly appropriate for her to be with them in each and every way. But this is a memorial service for Diana, the woman who Camilla hurt so badly. I think it is a huge step for William and Harry to invite her to the service, knowing how she and their mother felt about each other. It's not a bad step; this is a very good thing! But I think that Camilla, under these delicate curcumstances, should try to keep herself as low-key as possible. I mean, many of the people who will be at the service were not on what could be called "sunshiney" terms with Diana. I don't even know how Diana herself would feel about them coming, but I think that she would know that her boys helped with this, and if they think that Camilla or anyone else should come, then they are right in their decisions.

The media got on Diana, now on Camilla, next : William's wife ! The media adores, the media destroys, the media rules. It seems that no one can escape this terrible tornado that is the media.

I don't know if The Duchess of York was invited?? She was at the funeral with her husband and daughters.

Okay, first of all, yes, Camilla is a part of their family now. In any other situation, it would be certainly appropriate for her to be with them in each and every way. But this is a memorial service for Diana, the woman who Camilla hurt so badly. I think it is a huge step for William and Harry to invite her to the service, knowing how she and their mother felt about each other. It's not a bad step; this is a very good thing! But I think that Camilla, under these delicate curcumstances, should try to keep herself as low-key as possible. I mean, many of the people who will be at the service were not on what could be called "sunshiney" terms with Diana. I don't even know how Diana herself would feel about them coming, but I think that she would know that her boys helped with this, and if they think that Camilla or anyone else should come, then they are right in their decisions.

Sorry, Camilla is the wife of Prince Charles, and the stepmother of Prince William and Prince Harry. IMHO, she has to sit with her husband and her stepsons. IMO Camilla always keeps a quite low profile during her life. It is not her whom wants the attention but first Diana then the media itself wanting to put the attention on Camilla. I would rather Camilla does not attendent the service but since the princess invited her and she will attend the serivice.

uh, no she won't Camilla is William and Harry's step-mother Diana is their mother Camilla can't replace her and nor should she try to.

She can't replace Diana in their hearts, but Camilla will be standing next to Charles during these important events and it will be her that their children consider their grandmother because she will be there. It's not meant meanly, just as a matter of fact.

Camilla invited her former husband and his second wife (who was the reason for the divorce, IIRC) to her birthday party. If she can be so forgiving, why should we believe the saintly Diana could not be so forgiving to her? Or is Camilla nicer or more human than Diana ever was and the Di-fans know that subconciously?

We all here will never know what Camilla feels about going the service. But i can imagine that it will be not the nightmare some people wish she will have.
She is such a tough Lady and has the full support of her husband and her stepsons said that they love her.
So i think she will manage the situation with grace and dignity.

So i think she will manage the situation with grace and dignity.

That is what I think as well.

The Duchess of Cornwall has made an excellent record as royal lady so far and has -unexpectedly- turned out to be an asset to the monarchy. Not only brings she joie de vivre into Clarence House, she also seems very important for the wellbeing and confidence of the future King and is loved by his sons.

From all predicted negativeness towards the Duchess, to begin with her famous wedding day in Windsor, nothing has come true so far. And I'm sure that a most dignified Duchess will simply follow her spouse and stepsons into the Church.

I think this is a total non-discussion. Camilla is invited by the boys and so she will come, whether people like it or not. I mean, if William and Harry can get over it, we should probably ask ourselves if we're not exaggerating a bit. I think Diana can be proud that she has two open minded sons who are an example of forgivingness...

And next to that I think that Camilla will be all modesty while attending the ceremony. She has taken up her part with diginity and I'm not afraid we will see a change in her behaviour in the near future...

I don't think Camilla should attend. It's not the Camilla v Diana thing, they were both pretty nasty. I just don't see Camilla genuinely mourning Diana and to pretend to is just not right.
It is a memorial service, not a funeral. The funeral is where you are supposed to do the mourning. A memorial is where you are supposed to remember the good things about a person.

Madame Royale said:
The devide remains on both sides I believe it's fair and accurate to say.
Certainly it is evident within this forum alone.
The divide seems to be that those who like Camilla, are happy that she is willing to attend the memorial for someone who wished her nothing but ill and those who should read Jo's post perhaps.
Jo of Palatine said:
Camilla invited her former husband and his second wife (who was the reason for the divorce, IIRC) to her birthday party. If she can be so forgiving, why should we believe the saintly Diana could not be so forgiving to her? Or is Camilla nicer or more human than Diana ever was and the Di-fans know that subconciously?

Last edited:
So Camilla didn't make public her feelings (which of course would have been hard for her to do any way, and I respect her longstanding discreation), but that's not to say, in any way, that she didn't wish ill of Diana also. No one here can make that assumption.

One cannot possibly know what it was the Duchess felt towards the late Princess of Wales, though it is clear some seem to think Camilla an untouchable entity beyond the same judgement, Diana is to now face in death. Oh I know Camilla has coped a damn hard slog of media and public backlash in the past, but I see a similar pattern forming amongst those who devoutly support her and those who embrace Diana's memory. That similarity being an intolerance to either hear or take into account the alternative point of view.

I'm not taking sides, and I have no interest in doing so as I have always stated. I just make a concerted effort to take into account that both women were hurt. Who am I to lay blame on either of them for a situation I had absolutely nothing to do with or even understand in it's full capacity. That to me, is so utterly pointless. It achieves nothing.

Camilla is going (so I believe) and I'm glade she is. Lets hope she makes good this opportunity to do some forgiving of her own, if she hasn't done so already.

I don't respond with intent to provoke yet another ongoing battle of the 'righteous' :)

Last edited:
So Camilla didn't make public her feelings (which of course would have been hard for her to do any way, and I respect her longstanding discreation), but that's not to say, in any way, that she didn't wish ill of Diana also. No one here can make that assumption.

One cannot possibly know what it was the Duchess felt towards the late Princess of Wales, though it is clear some seem to think Camilla an untouchable entity beyond the same judgement, Diana is to now face in death.

I'm not taking sides, and I have no interest in doing so as I have always stated. I just make a concerted effort to take into account that both women were hurt. Who am I to lay blame on either of them for a situation I had absolutely nothing to do with or even understand in it's full capacity. That to me, is so utterly pointless. It achieves nothing.

I don't respond with intent to provoke yet another ongoing battle of the 'righteous' :)
Camilla is far from being 'an untouchable entity' or indeed person and I find the 'judgement' in death a tad too dramatic. There are many posters that support Camilla and also supported Diana, whilst accepting that neither women were angels. Through reading reasoned posts from a few posters, even I accept that Diana did some good for her chosen charities, (although I still dispute her motives). I don't believe, with the book or her dealings with the media that she acted as befitted her role of wife to the heir or mother to the future king.

The bottom line is that William and Harry, who know Camilla better than anyone on here and have more right to decide or comment, want and have asked their 'wonderful' stepmother to attend this event.

Last edited:
Camilla is far from being 'an untouchable entity' or indeed person and I find the 'judgement' in death a tad too dramatic. There are many posters that support Camilla and also supported Diana, whilst accepting that neither women were angels.

Entity, body, person, being...one in the same.

Dramatic? Oh, I must have 'subconsciously' kept in tune with the theatre of a forum's debate.lol.

I don't believe, with the book or her dealings with the media that she acted as befitted her role of wife to the heir or mother to the future king.

You and I, both.

The bottom line is that William and Harry, who know Camilla better than anyone on here and have more right to decide or comment, want and have asked their 'wonderful' stepmother to attend this event.

Quite true...infact very true, but if these two young men can see (and noted they are the children of the deceased and step children of the current consort) and appreciate the good in both woman and as you said, they are in a position to know better than anyone here, then why it remains so exigent for others to take a preferable side, remains rather elusive to me. Surely if William and Harry can show the love and affection they hold for each, then doesn't that say quite a bit about the women they infact are and were? I, personally, would have thought so.

And don't feel the above paragraph is directed at you as such. It's more a general observation.

Last edited:
Madame Royale, I hope you don't mind my asking, but what do you mean when you italicize words? The reason that I am asking is that I've read it can be used either for emphasis or irony and I can't figure out if you're trying to convey emphasis or irony! :)

Madame Royale, I hope you don't mind my asking, but what do you mean when you italicize words? The reason that I am asking is that I've read it can be used either for emphasis or irony and I can't figure out if you're trying to convey emphasis or irony! :)

Oh not at all, ysbel!

Moreso emphasis though occasionally, a little light irony...:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom