Should Camilla attend the memorial service for Diana?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How rude their behaviour would be! The police must teach them with gas and water cannon this time.

I'm not familiar with how things are done in Kuala Lumpur, but such measures are particularly unorthodox in Britain when it comes to pelting an egg or two...:ohmy::lol:

This isn't some political rally or G20 Summit. It's a memorial service and if a group of people wish or intend to make good, their egg hurling vow, then the security personnel shall, I'm sure, deal with the situation by apprehending those responsible.

Being blown 10 yards by a water cannon or having one's eyes momentarily blinded for an egg which would most probably miss it's target anyway...Heavens!!

but she cannot stop anyone from throwing eggs at her....
Really and there I was thinking that assault was illegal in the UK.

I'm pretty certain that the army and police who will be on duty, guarding Charles, Camilla and the rest of the guests, might also be under the impression that it is illegal.

If these Diana fanatics do try anything, I hope that the security detail is less than gentle with them as they are arrested and thrown into the back of the vans! :voodoo: Although I still believe they are all mouth and trousers!

Last edited:
ha. this is getting funny. anyway if camilla attend the memorial cos it is her duty to do so and also she is invited by the 2 princes. then so be it. but she cannot stop anyone from throwing eggs at her or being furious at her for attending. after all she was charles mistress for years and she was cited as the main reason for the breakup of the marriage. she cannot have the best of both world. since she married charles, then she should accept the fact that things like these will go on and on and on

I bet in Singapore it is very easy to stop someone from throwing eggs on a representative of the country - same in Britain, I guess....

I believe that Camilla should not attend this event for a few reasons.

First off, while I am very happy for Charles and Camilla and the fact that they finally found their way to be together after being in love for so many years, and having so many obstacles in their way. IMO this is the most true love story of all the royal love stories. Any love that stands this test of time, is the real thing.

That being said, Camilla still is the one person that caused Diana a lot of pain and emotional suffering while she had an adulteress affair with her husband. I know that in these situations no one deliberately plans to hurt the other one and I am sure that Camilla didn’t do it to hurt Diana, but the fact is, she did. The affair caused Diana humiliation and hurt just as it would for any woman out there whose husband has an affair or cheats on her. To make matters worse this became a very public affair. A woman knows these things and no matter what kind of public front you try to put on, it hurts emotionally.

I remember reading how when Diana was depressed she would lock herself in the bathroom and the boys would slide notes under the door, “Mom don’t cry.”

The boys don’t forget things like that.

I am happy that everyone has moved on and accepted the current situation. But that does not erase the facts of what happened. Camilla never got the chance to make peace with Diana before she died. She had an affair with her husband. It became a public circus, which is even more embarrassing.

I think out of respect for Diana, Camilla should not attend this particular event or any like them. IMO it would not be appropriate. She can attend every other kind of event in the country, but the memorials for Diana, she should keep her distance from.

I have to believe that if Diana were watching from up above, she would look down the last thing she would want to see is the woman whom she named “rottwiler” standing over her memorial next to her sons and former husband.

No I don’t think it’s a good idea. JMO.

The affair caused Diana humiliation and hurt just as it would for any woman out there whose husband has an affair or cheats on her. To make matters worse this became a very public affair. A woman knows these things and no matter what kind of public front you try to put on, it hurts emotionally.

But who made the affair public Windsor? Wasn't it Diana and Andrew Morton with Morton's book in 1990 when Diana became obsessed with making the public aware of Camilla's affair with Charles?

I agree with you, if my husband had had an affair I would not want the whole world to know it-it would be too humiliating for me. But apparently Diana wanted the world to know.

I think Camilla was the cause of Diana's private pain but I think Diana herself was the cause of her own public humiliation.

The Windsors could have taken the route of Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra in Denmark about whose marriage breakup, no one knows the details. However that was not the way that Diana wanted it.

And about your Rottweiler comment, I don't know why you choose to remember that comment of Diana when she was obviously not at her best at an event where her sons are trying to remember the best of their mother. Diana probably used nasty names for a lot of people at the service including her own family yet I don't think her sons want to remember that aspect of their mother.

Last edited:
But who made the affair public Windsor? Wasn't it Diana and Andrew Morton with Morton's book in 1990 when Diana became obsessed with making the public aware of Camilla's affair with Charles?

I agree with you, if my husband had had an affair I would not want the whole world to know it-it would be too humiliating for me. But apparently Diana wanted the world to know.

I think Camilla was the cause of Diana's private pain but I think Diana herself was the cause of her own public humiliation.

The Windsors could have taken the route of Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra in Denmark about whose marriage breakup, no one knows the details. However that was not the way that Diana wanted it.

And about your Rottweiler comment, I don't know why you choose to remember that comment of Diana when she was obviously not at her best at an event where her sons are trying to remember the best of their mother. Diana probably used nasty names for a lot of people at the service including her own family yet I don't think her sons want to remember that aspect of their mother.

Ysbel, I agree that Diana chose to take it public and I personally think she did this because she felt alone and unsupported, her royal family was saying she was unstable, etc.. I beleive she felt she had no one to turn to so she turned to the public for support. Bad move, yes, but that is why I think she did it. JMO

Anyways I chose the example of the affair, emotional pain, and the rottwiler comment to illustrate what Diana remembers of Camilla and what she thought of her. This is not someone she'd want at her memorial.

I was just pointing out my reasons why Camilla should offer her best wishes but pass on attending.

If your husband had an affair, and you hated this woman enough to call her any names, whether at your best or worst, you blamed this woman for your marriage break up whether true or not, and this woman later married your husband, would you want her at your memorial service standing next to your children?

I don't think Diana would have. Thats all I am saying.

Why does no one consider the possibility that Camilla wants to attend the service? Is it not possible that she wants to? Maybe she wants to pay respects as she wasn't able to do at the time of Diana's death when everyone was feeling raw. Why not? Is it possible that in her elder age, she has come to feel apologetic toward Diana for all the deceptions and bad blood of the past? She now has a chance to go and honor the woman for whom her affair caused so much pain and to think and feel those things that she can't say to Diana in person, but perhaps she would now, being so much wiser and older?
It's not possible?

I remember reading how when Diana was depressed she would lock herself in the bathroom and the boys would slide notes under the door, “Mom don’t cry.”
But we don't know that's true. There's no doubt the boys loved their mother but they're not boys anymore. They're grown men who have to find some role in life and if they're going to organise a memorial service, they surely are in charge of who is invited and if the Princes want their father and step-mother there then who on earth are we tell them to feel otherwise? It's nothing to do with us. It's a family matter that happens to be avaliable for the public to watch if they so choose. I fail to see how people who never met Diana and never knew her can believe they know better than William and Harry.

William and Harry must be intelligent. Camila has many reasons to not attend the Memorial Service for their Mother Princess Diana.

And she has one reason for attending that outstrips all reasons for her not to attend. Her step-sons want her there. And she has to be there for them as their step-mother.

And she has one reason for attending that outstrips all reasons for her not to attend. Her step-sons want her there. And she has to be there for them as their step-mother.

Do you think that she should go if they didn't want her there?

Well that isn't an issue as they do want her there.

Well, I am glad that the boys have come to really like her and accept her as a step-mother and all four- Charles, Camilla, William, and Harry are mature enough to handle the situation.

If your husband had an affair, and you hated this woman enough to call her any names, whether at your best or worst, you blamed this woman for your marriage break up whether true or not, and this woman later married your husband, would you want her at your memorial service standing next to your children?
I don't think Diana would have. Thats all I am saying.
The Diana you are all painting a picture of sounds very bitter, twisted and vindictive! Are you really saying that is how you believe that Diana should be feeling 11 years after the divorce, however many years after the unofficial and then official separation, after all, Diana didn't exactly let Charles side of the bed go cold, did she. :rolleyes:

It sounds as if her fans on here have a very bad opinion of her.

It´s the biggest insult to Princess Diana.

The Diana you are all painting a picture of sounds very bitter, twisted and vindictive! Are you really saying that is how you believe that Diana should be feeling 11 years after the divorce, however many years after the unofficial and then official separation, after all, Diana didn't exactly let Charles side of the bed go cold, did she. :rolleyes:

That's my opinion, too. And IMHO the princes want Camilla at the service to heal wounds rather than reopen them. They surely know what it costs Camilla to come there but she does it because it symbolizes an end to all the old pain for those involved.

but she cannot stop anyone from throwing eggs at her or being furious at her for attending.

She can't stop anyone from being furious with her, that's correct. I always think that there will be people that are furious with her, but there are people that don't like Charles, the Queen, Prince Philip, Princess Anne, the list can go on and on. And we don't have to worry about eggs being throne, first of all it's very silly and stupid, and second there are going to be so much security detail that they won't allow it to happen.

I don't see why we here on TRF are making such a big deal of it. She's been invited, great, but there's only two things that she can do: go or not go. It's not our decision.

And we don't have to worry about eggs being throne,

This is too cute. The topic of royalty gets the brain thinking "throne". Perfectly understandable, but very cute. I'm not trying to put you on the spot. It just made me smile. :D

No we don't have a very bad opinion of the Princess. There are some of us who believe that the Princess of Wales would've moved on with life and put the past behind her. And then there are the fans who think that she would have been still angry at Charles and Camilla 11 years after the divorce.
I don't see that as having a bad opinion of her.

Just had read some bad press about Camilla. I feel this is turning into a hype against her. What bloody people who threaten her with eggs!!!:ohmy: This never has to be happen!
I feel sorry for her and hope she will come through this day. And I hope she isn´t reading too much of this rubbish press.

And then there are the fans who think that she would have been still angry at Charles and Camilla 11 years after the divorce.

Even though they didn't know her? It's like me saying Stalin would support a restoration of the Monarchy in Russia. I didn't know him and to assign beliefs to a corpse really is a cheap shot as justifying what is essentially - old crap.

Well thats just how some people feel whether you understand it or not.

Right, explain this to me because I really would like to know. You never knew Diana, you never met Diana, you never spoke to Diana, you never recieved a tell-all letter from Diana, you never recieved divine messages from Diana post-death, you never became a confidant to Diana and you never once were told by Diana how she would feel about events she wouldn't be on earth to see. And yet you know what she'd be thinking today. How?

Right, explain this to me because I really would like to know. You never knew Diana, you never met Diana, you never spoke to Diana, you never recieved a tell-all letter from Diana, you never recieved divine messages from Diana post-death, you never became a confidant to Diana and you never once were told by Diana how she would feel about events she wouldn't be on earth to see. And yet you know what she'd be thinking today. How?

I think what sirhon11234 was trying to say is that fans 'imagine' what their idol would do, like, think, etc. Diana's fans in particular choose to think if Diana would have go forward with her life of if she would have still be obsessed by Camilla. It's like guessing if Diana prefered chocolate or strawberry candies. The 'choice' you make IMO depends on what perception you have of Diana.

What are you posting about, in my comment I didn't give my personal opinion on how she would feel about events that are happening today or how she would feel about Charles and Camilla today. No where in my comment did i give my personal opinion on whether she would still be angry at Charles or Camilla or would she have simply moved on with her life. I only posted about other posters opinions about how she would feel today if she was alive..

They imagine and then present that imagination as fact. And then they use that as a base to peddle hate and egg-throwing which is truly dim-witted and I fail to see how anyone can say that's an acceptable way to form an opinion.

I only posted about other posters opinions about how she would feel today if she was alive.

And I responded to that because you seem to believe that's an acceptable way to reach an opinion which it quite clearly isn't.

Diana's fans in particular choose to think if Diana would have go forward with her life of if she would have still be obsessed by Camilla. It's like guessing if Diana prefered chocolate or strawberry candies. The 'choice' you make IMO depends on what perception you have of Diana.
Not a very forgiving, kind or friendly perception. Diana was never, IMO, obsessed with Camilla, she used Charles' confession and her interview as a way of hitting at Charles.

The picture most of her 'fans' on here and in the press are painting, is a nasty, vindictive woman, who had many lovers of her own and would have been unwilling to move on. The very person whose memory they are trying to preserve, destroyed once again.

And I responded to that because you seem to believe that's an acceptable way to reach an opinion which it quite clearly isn't

The purpose of my comment was to list two opinions of posters on how Diana would feel today if she was alive. I didn't say that I agreed with either opinions. And just becuase you have your own way of reaching an opinion it doesen't mean your way is right and mine is wrong we all have different ways of reaching an opinion.

They imagine and then present that imagination as fact. And then they use that as a base to peddle hate and egg-throwing which is truly dim-witted and I fail to see how anyone can say that's an acceptable way to form an opinion.

Beatrixfan, Do you personally know Camilla and Charles, do you speak to them, have you received a tell all letter from them detailing their opinions and feelings? No? you seem to have no trouble assigning opinions/thoughts/motives which you approve of to Camilla and Charles because you like/admire them. Why do you not understand when the Diana fans do the same thing? It's speculation on both sides part. I think tolerance for each others opinions and beliefs is a cornerstone of civilization. I dont believe that there is any peddling of hate or egg throwing going on here. Most seem to be able to discuss these matters in a civilized tone dont you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom