Should Camilla attend the memorial service for Diana?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If this memorial service is to remember Princess Diana and celebrate her life, then only her friends, family and those she loved/liked and loved/liked her should be present. I undestand that time has passed and Camilla is now married to Princess Charles, but Diana neither loved her nor liked her so out of respect for her memory she should stay away. I want to make it clear that I don't dislike Camilla, its just that it makes sense for her not to go because, regardless of whether Diana's feelings were right or wrong those were HER feelings.

I undestand that time has passed and Camilla is now married to Princess Charles, but Diana neither loved her nor liked her so out of respect for her memory she should stay away.

Actually that is not true. Camilla Parker Bowles and Lady Diana Spencer, later The Princess of Wales, have interacted a lot together during the engagement period and the beginning of the marriage. It was more or less Camilla who took care for the insecure Lady Diana during the chaotic period in which she barely knew how to walk, how to move, how to act in her totally new role.

We may assume that Diana and Camilla have become enemies indeed. But this is not the same as "neither loved her or liked her". And we also do not know if Diana, after the separation and the divorce, has come to terms with Camilla, finalized the turbulent period and went on on a new road in her life.

Honestly doesen't the Daily Mail have anything else better to report then crap like this!

Despite Richard Kay's protest that he's carrying Diana's banner, the Daily Mail shows as little respect to Diana as it does to Camilla with this article.

Actually that is not true. Camilla Parker Bowles and Lady Diana Spencer, later The Princess of Wales, have interacted a lot together during the engagement period and the beginning of the marriage. It was more or less Camilla who took care for the insecure Lady Diana during the chaotic period in which she barely knew how to walk, how to move, how to act in her totally new role.

We may assume that Diana and Camilla have become enemies indeed. But this is not the same as "neither loved her or liked her". And we also do not know if Diana, after the separation and the divorce, has come to terms with Camilla, finalized the turbulent period and went on on a new road in her life.

I don't know for sure, but I seriously doubt that Diana came to terms with Camilla. Plus, what kind of woman tries to befriend your lovers new wife? You know what they say, keep your friends close but your enemies closer, maybe that's why Camilla was being "nice" to Diana. Anyways, we don't know if she loved/liked Camilla, sometimes we just barely tolerate people.

The only people that caused the break up of Charles and Diana marriage is Charles and Diana. Camilla could not have carried on " the friendship" with Charles ,if he did no want to have a part of it. I think to blame Camilla is viewing this from the wrong angle. When two people love each other they do not seek others to meet their needs. So yes Camilla should go to the service. If someone should not go it should be charles(ha, ha). Just kidding on the last statment, please do not send a bad reply. I think that finally Charles is very happy and we should not keep on about something that is in the past. It looks like to boys have moved on and so should we!

According to English recent poll, many people in England don´t want Camila in the memorial service Diana.

According to English recent poll, many people in England don´t want Camila in the memorial service Diana.

The "poll" was held under 1.000 or something readers of the magazine for The Club For The Beatification, The Sanctification, The Adoration And The Glorification Of The Late Diana, Ever Innocent And Pure, probably better known as The Daily Mail.

This for the balance.

:flowers:

My guess is that most Britons commuting to their work, bringing their children to the day care, going to the fitness centre or having a pint at the pub, could not care less about the presence of the Duchess at a memorial or not.

:flowers:

Last edited:
It seems to me, the only reason for the 'Camilla shouldn't go arguments', is Diana's vague suggestion in the panorama interview, that Camilla was there in the marriage right from the start. All she said was that they were having a relationship.
Charles, as we know from his interview, said that the affair started in 1986, the same time of Diana's admitted affair with Hewitt. (I'm not sure of the start dates with Mannakee, Waterhouse, etc), so bearing that in mind.....
msleiman is correct, if two people are happy together, they do everything in their power to keep each other happy and neither have any need to look elsewhere.

Some of the rags are happily printing the results of their polls, which like most polls, can be misleading, phone polls cannot be taken seriously by anyone, to make a bit more money.

It's such a pity that an event organised by her sons to unite the family, should have such a disheartening effect on strangers.

Last edited:
I don't know for sure, but I seriously doubt that Diana came to terms with Camilla. Plus, what kind of woman tries to befriend your lovers new wife? You know what they say, keep your friends close but your enemies closer, maybe that's why Camilla was being "nice" to Diana. Anyways, we don't know if she loved/liked Camilla, sometimes we just barely tolerate people.

Well we don't know for sure what Diana felt about things when she died. At that time, her life didn't seem to involved with either Charles or Camilla.

We also don't know what Camilla felt when she first met Lady Diana during the engagement. I wonder saphire whether you know that the expression you quoted 'keep your friends close but your enemies closer' came from Mario Puzo's novel the Godfather and it was what Don Corleone, the Mafia don, said about someone he was about to order the execution of.

If you did know where the phrase came from, it is an interesting choice of quotes to describe the relationship between Camilla and Diana. I'm not quite sure if its fair to the two ladies involved though.

Well we don't know for sure what Diana felt about things when she died. At that time, her life didn't seem to involved with either Charles or Camilla.

We also don't know what Camilla felt when she first met Lady Diana during the engagement. I wonder saphire whether you know that the expression you quoted 'keep your friends close but your enemies closer' came from Mario Puzo's novel the Godfather and it was what Don Corleone, the Mafia don, said about someone he was about to order the execution of.

If you did know where the phrase came from, it is an interesting choice of quotes to describe the relationship between Camilla and Diana. I'm not quite sure if its fair to the two ladies involved though.

In all honesty, I heard that phrase somewhere just a couple of days ago. And its true, we don't know what Camilla felt when she first met Lady Diana, and we also don't know how Diana really felt towards the end of her life about Charles and Camilla. Anyways, you are right that maybe the phrase used is not fair to either of them, but it somehow seem right (to me) to say that in a way maybe Camilla was keeping an eye on Diana and wondering if she would steal Charle's love from her. (sorry, I am starting to sound like a harlequin romance) Just my musings.

(sorry, I am starting to sound like a harlequin romance) Just my musings.

Well we know Diana was a fan of Barbara Cartland's romances which are a lot like the Harlequin romances so maybe you do have some insight to what Diana may have felt at least. I don't know if Camilla was that much of a fan of the occasional romance novel.

Though I think that by 10 years after her death, the arrangements for her memorial is moving away from what Diana would have wanted when she was alive to what her sons want now 10 years after her death. But that is not unusual after someone dies. My grandmother's funeral was nothing like she wanted because her children wanted otherwise.

Anyways, you are right that maybe the phrase used is not fair to either of them, but it somehow seem right (to me) to say that in a way maybe Camilla was keeping an eye on Diana and wondering if she would steal Charle's love from her. (sorry, I am starting to sound like a harlequin romance) Just my musings.

There was something like that without a doubt. By getting close to Diana, Camilla knew her better and was able to define her personality. But as we learnt through books and other media, Diana wasn't the shy, naive girl that Camilla and everybody else thought she was. That's why I believe Camilla didn't get to know Diana very well. Her closest friends knew that there was an other Diana but Camilla didn't get close enough to see it.

I thought a memorial service was for ALL people to remember a person, if they so wish to do, not just for close family and friends.

Whether you liked, loved, disliked or even hated the person being remembered you should be able to remember them at a memorial service and if invited then you should attend IMHO.

Well this is the thing, if you want to remember Diana, you watch the service when it's broadcast or you attend the service if you're invited. If you don't want to remember Diana, you don't. But sadly people seem to rally against anyone who politely declines to take part in Dianic Relief and that's why we end up with hurt on all sides.

BTW Mario Puzo 'borrowed'/paraphrased Sun Tsu's The Art of War

Diana is no longer here to speak for herself about she feels about anything. Prince William and Prince Harry have the right to decide how best to honour her memory and who should join them on this most personal occasion.

Very Very Good topic! I think she should NOT Attend, I would think it would be in bad tast if she did, considering she had an affair with Prince Charles while He and Princess Diana where married

i can't see any harm in Camilla or the Al Fayed's attending. i think it was a mature thing for the princes to extend and invitation to both. i think the thing we need to remember is that when someone dies we don't need to remember all the negative things...remember the best things about that person. even if your dealings with them weren't always great, there must be something good you can say about them and i'm sure that both camilla and mr. al fayed have pleasant memories of diana. it's not like either of these people will get up to speak so there's no worry of them hi jacking the service to let loose with some vile commentary. i think they're capable of being dignified. i'm surprised that this whole thing is taking such a front seat 10 years after the fact.

And do you think she feels the same way about Andrew and Anne or does she only feel this way about Charles because it will add another reason to the people to have him duped out of his crown?
Only to Charles as Charles is next in line to the throne.

Well I think that if the Queen thought that Charles' marriage would do irreparable damage to the monarchy, she wouldn't have approved the marriage in the first place.

From what I heard the Queen encouraged the marriage because she thought the friendship was more damaging to the monarchy than a legal marriage.

But what do the Queen's personal feelings about Camilla have to do with whether Camilla attends Diana's memorial or not?

...the friendship...

Well, that's certainly a way of looking at, I guess...:ermm::ROFLMAO:

When is this service anyway? Every avenue has been exhausted through means of opinion and I, for one, cannot wait for the day to pass!

August 31st! :rolleyes:

Thanking you kindly, ysbel :)

Is it to be broadcast?

Last edited:
Well I heard the BBC will broadcast it but its not on the BBC site itself so I guess we will have to wait.

The Duchess of Cornwall will go to the ceremony by hook or by crook. Past is past, now she should live and continue to devote to her royal duties. The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh will attend, would she be left alone, impossible. Come on, If Prince William and Prince Harry accept her. Why don't some people do?

Come on, If Prince William and Prince Harry accept her. Why don't some people do?

Do they really accept her or is it just a front to make their father happy and to keep people from talking about the relationship? Think about what the headlines would be if they didn't like her and showed in public they don't: Headlines: "The princes snubbed Camilla," "The princes call Camilla rottweiler, behind her back, just like their mother." It would be nonsense, but it would happen nonetheless. It's hard to make a guess, I guess we just have to wait until the day of the concert. :flowers:

I think Camilla would rather not go to the service but as William and Harry have invited her she probably feels she has to rather than hurt their feelings but I can just imagine all the Di-maniacs sitting watching the service while sticking pins into a wax effigy of Camilla. Charles and Diana’s marriage was over almost before it began and even if Camilla had not been on the scene it would have ended in divorce. Also, no matter who Charles took as his second wife would not be good enough for the Di-maniacs who don’t want to see anyone in their heroine’s place. They would probably be annoyed if William’s wife was called Princess of Wales as their eyes that was Diana’s title and no one else is fit to replace her. Diana was an immature, devious, self-centred actress who caused no end of problems for the royal family and in particular the queen who she constantly tried to upstage. Even from beyond the grave she is still causing trouble.
To accuse Camilla (or as Dodi's daft dad claims prince Philip) of causing her death is just silly. She died because of a drunk driver nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited:
I guess we just have to wait until the day of the concert. :flowers:

Concert? I think you mean Memorial Service...;)

Diana was an immature, devious, self-centred actress...

And your personal encounters with the late princess, in order to resolutely claim the above, took place where, exactly?

How some people believe they have a right to degrade another when they did not, and never shall know that person, is just fascinating.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom