Relationships of Prince Charles and His Parents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Charles is a very complex and sensitive man.
I think the Queen may not be a demonstrative parent, and he probably felt hurt by that.

Then too, Charles hated his school and the Queen left such decisions to Phillip. It wouldn't be unusual if lingering resentment about that overshadowed happier memories.

(Personally I feel they should have taken Charles' feelings into account and switched schools, instead of just expecting him to deal with it. But I always think Phillip is the type who can't see any POV other than his own).

Philip had a horrible childhood. He father ran off. His mum had a mental breakdown and was hospitalized. He was shuffled off to various relations. His favorite sister and her family died in a plane crash. That would have to effect him.

Parental attitudes in the 1950s are much different than today. Maybe Philip was trying to tough up Charles. He being raised in palaces with nannies, devoted Granny. It would be easy to become a spoiled brat.

I find it interesting that only Charles complained. Anne who went through the early years of the reign doesn't. Neither do Andrew and Edward and the grandkids speak glowingly of their grandparents.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Philip had a horrible childhood. He father ran off. His mum had a mental breakdown and was hospitalized. He was shuffled off to various relations. His favorite sister and her family died in a plane crash. That would have to effect him.

Parental attitudes in the 1950s are much different than today. Maybe Philip was trying to tough up Charles. He being raised in palaces with nannies, devoted Granny. It would be easy to become a spoiled brat.

I find it interesting that only Charles complained. Anne who went through the early years of the reign doesn't. Neither do Andrew and Edward and the grandkids speak glowingly of their grandparents.

Different children see things differently and one side doesn't have to be more right than the other. For example my dad and one aunt have a lot to say about their upbringing by two very loving but also strict and temperamental working-class parents while on the other hand my other aunt has told me several times how she's never understood what they're complaining about. According to her they had a good, although poor upbringing, by two parents who put their children's welfare before anything else but had trouble expressing emotions between themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Not fond of parents who try to toughen up their children. It sometimes verges on abuse.

As far as Charles being the only one, well, children differ and he may have been more sensitive than his siblings.
(Of course, a cynic might think that Charles is also more financially independent).

1. This is a Richard Kay and Geoffrey Levy story. They must have a quota to fill with all the old trash they have 'writing'.

2. When did Charles complain?

3. What were his exact words?

4. Is it on video?

5. Was this from the Dimbleby book?
If so, Dimbleby gave his own spin on things rather than take the information given.
He was caught out by Lucia Santa Cruz when he implied she was more than just a friend.
She sued him.

6. Princess Anne during the Jubilee tribute to the Queen voiced the same opinion as Charles.
Her comments are on video.

If both are on video then we can compare but this is just a no story made to stir comments and for Richard Kay to meet his quota.

I suggest we start a thread for all the incorrect info that Richard Kay and his friends at the DM write.

Last edited:
A cold, distant mother? Come off it, Charles:

For the millionth time: Charles have never called the Queen (his darling mama as he calls her) a cold, distant mother. This is just Richard Kay and Geoffrey Levy trying to get Charles look bad again.

And to those who says that the Queen is not an emotional woman, don't know what they are talking about.

This was also discussed in the Queen Elizabeth as Monarch, Mother and Grandmother thread in august last year.

And here are some of the posts that I and others posted:

The Queen with her children and grandchildren. There are also many pictures of her with Charles, but I didn't find them:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...ther-and-grandmother-13412-8.html#post1813535

Videos of the Queen with her children and grandchildren:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...ther-and-grandmother-13412-8.html#post1813537

Prince Charles pays tribute to the Queen on the occasion of her Golden Jubilee, 80th birthday and Diamond Jubilee:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...ther-and-grandmother-13412-8.html#post1813543

The Queen showing emotions:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...her-and-grandmother-13412-10.html#post1814062

Look at what the children/grandchildren says (not posted here) and look at what William wrote about her last year (posted here):
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...h-september-9-2015-a-38967-6.html#post1812273

Look at what former staffers have said (posted here) and look what Prime Ministers/ have said, even Paul Burrell and Diana's mother (not posted here):
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...d-duke-of-edinburgh-29391-15.html#post1756176

And from today:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...sers-and-attendants-11361-11.html#post1870904

I could have given many more examples.

The Queen was not a 'hands on' mother, but as the children and the most reliable former staffers have said, she was a warm/caring mother.

This post became a bit messy when I posted it, so I've edited it.

Last edited:
I think the issue was that QE2 and Princess Margaret were tutored at home and everyone they interacted with were met at the palace, and with that mindset. Charles however went off to school. Other children were interacted with in a public environment, and I'm sure he saw the parents coming to school to pickup their children and showing affection as parents outside of the palace did, and do. It's one thing if lol you see is the environment of the palace, it is another if you see the rest of the world. You don't miss what you don't know exists.

The Queen was raised to never show emotion in public. And that is who she has become. I am sure she loves her children and grandchildren. She has no outward emotion to show. When she was young, and just returned from a long trip, she shook Prince Charles' hand. Most bizarre for a mother. And did he miss a mother's hugs and attention. Yes. Is he poorer for it. Yes. I think Camilla has given him some of that which he has never had.

Daily Mail is only consistent in its inconsistency.

Article by Richard Kay saying Queen wonderful mother and Charles should "come off it"

Article by Richard Kay (either day after or 2 days) saying that the reason the Queen is letting William be a part time royal because she feels she didn't spend enough time with her children.

Its all piffle but it isn't consistent

The Queen was raised to never show emotion in public. And that is who she has become. I am sure she loves her children and grandchildren. She has no outward emotion to show. When she was young, and just returned from a long trip, she shook Prince Charles' hand. Most bizarre for a mother. And did he miss a mother's hugs and attention. Yes. Is he poorer for it. Yes. I think Camilla has given him some of that which he has never had.

Can I ask you: Are you saying that the hundreds of pictures and the many videos that exist/existed are false?

Are you saying that the royal family, former staffers, former prime ministers, other monarchs/royals and presidents etc are lying?

The Queen has shown her outward emotions several times both in private and public, and you would have known that, if you had read some of the posts that I've posted in my post above.

That photo of him shaking his mothers hand after she had been gone for months is one of the saddest royal photos I've seen coming second after the Will and Harry photo walking behind their mothers coffin I know it's been discussed many times here and I know all about different times etc but I still find it truly sad.

That photo of him shaking his mothers hand after she had been gone for months is one of the saddest royal photos I've seen coming second after the Will and Harry photo walking behind their mothers coffin I know it's been discussed many times here and I know all about different times etc but I still find it truly sad.

The more I think about it, the more I'm starting to think that this was done on purpose to acclimate Charles on how he's expected to act when he's in public with his mother and she is in Queen mode. From what I could tell in the photo, he is standing there sedately and "behaving proper like" as his mother approaches. For all we know, it could have been rehearsed back in the nursery on how he was to behave at that given time. HM was greeting many people and the proper protocol had to have been followed.

There are many, many videos and snapshots of Charles with his parents when they're having a fun time and goofing around. The home movies that Charles presented during the documentary he did about his mother come to mind. He got quite emotional watching those.

True, The Queen obviously loved her children, but things were different in those days. Charles is very sensitive and felt different about these kind of things. He like to reflect on those carefree childhood days now, because I think he's grown to understand the situation better.

I also think this is one of the reasons why everyone noticed the different way Diana raised her children. The media and people didn't see a female member of the royal family pour so much love and affection onto her children like that before.

I know that many have said that Anne has another perspective on her childhood, but each kid is different and, as you say, as a different sensitiveness. Plus, Charles was the heir, and I bet that at that time he was being treated/educated differently from early on.

Diana is a totally different matter here, and I'll risk drifting off topic. I just think that comparisons are not even possbile. Different women, diffrent era, different roles etc.

To me the most interesting thing about the most recent article is its take on the relationship between Anne and the Queen, probably one of the least commented upon between the Queen and one of her children. We hear lots about Philip and Anne being close and Andrew and Edward being close to the Queen and Charles being perhaps bit distant but rarely do people mention Anne and The Queen.
Its interesting to read that Anne and The Queen spoke regularly during the Charles/Diana years, I can only imagine the sort of advice Anne would have given!

Last edited:
To me the most interesting thing about the most recent article is its take on the relationship between Anne and the Queen, probably one of the least commented upon between the Queen and one of her children. We hear lots about Philip and Anne being close and Andrew and Edward being close to the Queen and Charles being perhaps bit distant but rarely do people mention Anne and The Queen.
Its interesting to read that Anne and The Queen spoke regularly during the Charles/Diana years, I can only imagine the sort of advice Anne would have given!

I think during that period, Anne would have sought out her mother's advice in regards to her own relationship that was falling apart rather than have opinions on Charles and Diana. With her own separation and subsequent divorce from Mark Phillips in 1992, she had her own troubles to worry about.

I remember reading somewhere that the Queen supposedly told a friend that she didn't dare hug Charles that day because she knew she'd break down. There was a bit of a kerfuffle in the gutter press at the time and the Queen was supposedly quite hurt. I can't remember where I read that though.

I know that many have said that Anne has another perspective on her childhood, but each kid is different and, as you say, as a different sensitiveness. Plus, Charles was the heir, and I bet that at that time he was being treated/educated differently from early on.

Diana is a totally different matter here, and I'll risk drifting off topic. I just think that comparisons are not even possbile. Different women, diffrent era, different roles etc.

Very true! And Diana also was subjected to criticism as a mother.

(Wasn't it Lord Chesterfield who said: Before I was married I had six theories about raising children, and now I have six children and no theories!)?

Very true! And Diana also was subjected to criticism as a mother.

(Wasn't it Lord Chesterfield who said: Before I was married I had six theories about raising children, and now I have six children and no theories!)?

I just think that it is not fair to criticize a mother if you don't know what happened, especially in another time and when the mother in question is a young queen.:flowers:

In regards to the picture of the Queen disembarking after a time away and just shaking Charles' hand, I wish I could find and post a picture here that I saw recently and cannot find it again. It showed Charles roughly at the same age greeting his grandfather, George VI and formally shaking his hand. This is what he had been schooled to do in a public, formal situation with his parents and grandparents. I really don't think it reflects in any way on the mother/son relationship between Charles and his mother.

There are just things that we teach our children from a very early age and this is one aspect of Charles' upbringing as The Prince of Wales. As soon as our children are old enough to speak, we teach them to say "please" and "thank you" and to use "inside voice" and things. Charles grew up learning early the dos and don'ts of public royal life. I'd even go as far as to say that perhaps Charles missed out on a lot with his mother as a child because of her public role but then again, there are many mothers out there that have to be away from their children for long stretches at times because they serve in the military. It doesn't make them bad parents or cold parents but different kinds of parents.

One thing though that Charles had that he has kept with him for his entire lifetime is a deep love and affection for his grandmother. I can really imagine that having that special relationship with her grandson was a soothing balm to the Queen Mum to help heal the loss of her beloved Bertie. Being there for her daughter also gave her purpose.

Looking at the entire picture, I see a close, loving family relationship that survived through decades and decades and is still going strong.

I guess one important aspect that people often overlook is that Charles was only 3 years old when Elizabeth II became queen. Unlike other crown princesses who had the time to raise a family before ascending the throne, Queen Elizabeth II had to take up state obligations very early in her marriage and, being in particular the British monarch and the head of the Commonwealth, she was exceptionally busy, even in comparison to most of her fellow monarchs. I imagine that must have taken a toll on the amount of time she could devote to her children, which is perfectly understandable.

There was a short video, shown on one of the threads here (can't remember which) showing the Queen Mother returning to England from a tour or journey abroad. There to greet her were her daughter and Charles and Anne. The two women kissed on the cheek, but the Queen Mother bobbed down and wholeheartedly hugged both her very young grandchildren before they all got into a carriage and rode away.

I don't think the handshake the Queen was faced with when Charles greeted her on that other occasion was a matter of protocol or teaching Charles manners. Didn't the Queen supposedly say to him "Not you dear!" when he stuck out his hand?
It is simply a matter of different temperaments.

The Queen Mother apparently startled everyone by throwing her arms around her husband in public after he had struggled through a particularly difficult speech before the war and told him "I'm so proud of you darling!"

Whatever our Queen may or may not have done in private I just can't imagine her doing as her mother did in public when she was young. Elizabeth was very shy, her mother wasn't (nor was Diana) and in public she was not demonstrative with her children or husband. She did not show her emotions in public. A great part of this was the times, but it was also that she was a less tactile, less demonstrative character.

Just saw the video for the first time and I absolutely loved it! Charles and Anne were so cute when they greeted Granny. ?

The QMQE was naturally more maternal. Her eyes light up whenever she saw children. I don't think QEII was as maternal as her mother, and watching clios of QEII and her mother, you can quickly see this.

There was I don't think the handshake the Queen was faced with when Charles greeted her on that other occasion was a matter of protocol or teaching Charles manners. Didn't the Queen supposedly say to him "Not you dear!" when he stuck out his hand?
It is simply a matter of different temperaments.

Theless tactile, less demonstrative character.
no of course not. I think it was that Charles hadn't seen his mother for so long, he was awkward with her, and wasn't sure how to greet her.. and she wasn't openly affectionate with him, esp not in public...

Did you see Charles's face in the video when he took a look at that soldier, and his all-over demeanour on this occasion? The start of the nervy facial tics he became known for. This was a nervous diffident child, very anxious to do the right thing. The only time he brightened up was when he saw Grannie.

The Queen was incredibly po-faced with her children when they were young and I can well imagine that to a small child Prince Philip could appear hectoring or bullying even when he didn't mean to. I grew up in Norfolk and saw the family on several occasions. Charles never looked at ease with his parents even when he was older. He seems to have come to terms with it in recent years, but I certainly don't think he had a particularly happy childhood.

Last edited:
I think it is pretty well know that he didn't get on well with Philip as a kid. And I think the queen was (a) awkward and shy and not very affectionate in any kind of physical way, and (b) very devoted ot her husband.
I think as a young woman she was wrapped up with Philip and perhaps wasn't ready for motherhood.. and was the kind of woman who was "content to leave childcare to nanny". There is a story - don't know how true - that when Diana was looking after the children because it was her nanny's day off, the queen said "I don't know Why Diana has to do this, there are plenty of housemaids."
I think she was a lot more "motherly" and affectionate to Andrew and Edward when they came along, but with Anne and Charles she was not very tactile. I don't know if she would ever be comfortable with expressing affection, esp physically.
I think Charles IS a very conscientious nervy sort of man, even now. He wants to do the right thing, agonises over what it should be, and as a little boy, he was problaby VERY nervous of PHilp and perhaps of his mother, who seemed distant and in his child mind, didn't protect him form Philip (or problaby the unpleasant Anne bullying him too).
I must look at the video properly another time, but yes I think he was a bit afraid of his parents, and felt more comfortable with his loving grandma, and she loved him because he reminded her of her shy seflf doubting husband.
I think in the present, he has grown closer to his parents, he understands them better and gets on with them, esp his mother...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom