Relationship of the Royal Family with The Duchess of Cornwall

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you to Nico and Artemisia for the pictures. I love the smiles on everyone's faces. Obviously, all parties involved are enjoying themselves as well as their company :D.

Thank you to Nico and Artemisia for the pictures. I love the smiles on everyone's faces. Obviously, all parties involved are enjoying themselves as well as their company :D.

Hear hear.

The media are going to see what they want to see and hear what they want to hear. I found it amusing that there was an article in yesterday's telegraph that was the inevitable anti-Prince Charles article following so many positive ones over the jubilee weekend. The writer accused Clarence House of having selective hearing about any increase in the Prince's popularity.

Clearly selective hearing and vision isn't just restricted to that evil and machiavellian Kremlin-like propaganda machine that is Clarence House (lol).

I think the royal family have accepted the reality of Camilla's relationship and marriage to Charles, they've been given a chance to know her personally and realize she's a great support to Charles.

If some of them have different feelings, they will keep it to themselves and get on with things.

Please note that off topic posts (i.e. William succeeding the Queen, Charles being a terrible husband/father, Diana cheated too, etc) have been deleted as off topic and will continue to be deleted.

This thread is about Camilla's relationships with other members of the Royal Family.

Let's stay on topic.

I am real. I'm really glad to hear you don't have any problems and have moved on. I'm also aware that you believe you know everything that went on in Charles and Diana's marriage. Get real and move on. No one knows what really goes on in any family except those living behind the closed doors. I'm sympathetic to Prince William and Prince Harry. I have my thoughts and the freedom to express them. I've already realized that there are many cold hearts on this forum. I've worked in politics for many years. I had the privilege to meet Princess Diana when she was in our City.

It must have been very exciting for you to meet Diana when she was in your city.

I assume that you posted in this thread because you wanted to discuss William and Harry's relationship with Camilla.

As you no doubt know, both of them choose to meet Camilla within one year of Diana's death. Keep in mind that they did so even though they were aware of Diana's side of the story. They actually knew her, unlike the fans that may have meet her once and read about her in the tabloids. Since that time, almost everything I have read, including articles written by big Diana fans such as Andrew Morton, indicate that William and Harry have a good relationship with Camilla. All three of them enjoy country sports and Camilla is apparently very witty and fun loving.

I don't know that they are "close" to Camilla. There may be some arguments here and there, but that is only natural in any family relationship, particularly one involving a stepparent. But it has been very obvious for some time that they don't blame Camilla (or Charles) for all of Diana's unhappiness. Unlike some cold-hearted Diana fans, they want their father--and, I think, Camilla--to be happy. They have moved on with their lives over the last 16 years. I like to think that Diana would have done so if she were still alive.

Personally I think William and Harry are realtively close to Camilla. She has attended significant events in their military careers (William's passing out parade at Sandhurst and him getting his wings) which if they didn't want her to be there they could have said and I don't think it would have been a massive issue. Likewise with Camilla being with Charles to visit the new baby cambridge in hospital. If William and Harry didn't want her at their own significant events then she wouldn't be there.

I think The Queen has made a great effort to accept reality and have shown a great of appreciation for the work the Duchess of Cornwall has done as a senior member of the royal family and the happiness she has provided to Charles.

It's pretty much well known that she wasn't fond of Camilla back in the day and even refused to be in the same room with her. A lot has changed since then. I think The Queen is one smart cookie. She is trying to make sure that before she pass on, the "Firm" is more stable than it was in the 90's. Leave the drama behind and get on with things.

I think The Queen has made a great effort to accept reality and have shown a great of appreciation for the work the Duchess of Cornwall has done as a senior member of the royal family and the happiness she has provided to Charles.

It's pretty much well known that she wasn't fond of Camilla back in the day and even refused to be in the same room with her. A lot has changed since then. I think The Queen is one smart cookie. She is trying to make sure that before she pass on, the "Firm" is more stable than it was in the 90's. Leave the drama behind and get on with things.

What's the source for this titbit?

There are old stories about The Queen and Camilla Parker Bowles situation out there. It wasn't a nice situation in those days.

But it doesn't mean that they are true

I'm somehow thinking it was true, if not, I know The Queen wasn't fond of her though. Mark Bolland got involved with Camilla's rehabilitation, worked some miracles and here we are today.

A lot of the truth is in The Queen's personal diary (as some royal historians and experts like to point out) but we most likely won't get any excerpts from that until a while after her passing. It's going to be interesting to hear about her real thoughts in those "annus horribilis" days.

Last edited:
She will be discrete about everything. She is not someone who would "tell all" from the grave and risk the BRF's position - especially as she apparently worked hard to maintain it.

I wonder if there is anything that revealing in her diary. She herself said in one of those documentaries she does every decade or so that her diary is nothing like Queen Victorias. For her it is just a couple of lines. I doubt she will leave too much for historians to get worked up about but then I will be long in my grave before the diaries of QEII ever see the light of day.

Not too long ago, when the diaries of Queen Victoria were published, HM was asked when her own diaries would be published. Her reply was something along the lines of -- "Never".

Personally I think William and Harry are realtively close to Camilla. She has attended significant events in their military careers (William's passing out parade at Sandhurst and him getting his wings) which if they didn't want her to be there they could have said and I don't think it would have been a massive issue. Likewise with Camilla being with Charles to visit the new baby cambridge in hospital. If William and Harry didn't want her at their own significant events then she wouldn't be there.

The issue is how we define "relatively close." I am not a confident so I am just guessing, but it seems to me that they are fine with her and even enjoy her company, but don't go out of their way to interact with her. They may go hunting, fishing, etc together even without Charles when they are together at Balmoral.

Outside of family holidays, I think she's welcome to all events that Charles attends, but I don't think they call her to see how she is or stop in for a visit when they know Charles isn't there.

I'm somehow thinking it was true, if not, I know The Queen wasn't fond of her though.

Again, I am guessing, but I don't think the Queen disapproval was personal, she was concerned about the impact Charles's relationship with Camilla had on the monarchy. Apparently Camilla is very likeable, so I am sure the Queen was personally fond of her, but didn't want to be seen as approving such a controversial relationship.

I'm not sure The Queen was fond of Camilla even back in the day. I think get along just fine today though.

I think The Queen learned to show more appreciation for Camilla's contribution to the "Firm" and awarded her with the Royal Victorian Order just after seven years of marriage. The Queen didn't even do that for Diana after seven years of her marriage.

I think The Queen has learned to give senior members female members of the royal family a pat on the back for their hard work. Although the years are far in between.

Frankly I'm not sure the Queen likes anyone very much. This is probably coloured by the fact I've just watch Elizabeth R the 1992 documentary. So removed from reality, no wonder the palace wanted to bury this programme.

And I support the monarchy .

Sorry, off topic.

The Parker-Bowles were regular attenders at royal functions, at which such people were invited to attend such as Royal Box at Ascot, even after Camilla was exposed as Charles' lover and then The Queen, after Diana's death distanced herself a bit from Camilla. When the Parker-Bowles were in the 'inner circle' she and Camilla got along quite well, then the relationship cooled and now it is back to where it was with the added closeness of Camilla making the Queen's first born child very happy - a bond that often exists between mothers and their daugthers-in-law (yes I know it can also be the exact opposite).

I think the queen is aware of what Camilla means in Charles' life. Too bad this was not recognized before all the collateral damage was done.

The issue is how we define "relatively close." I am not a confident so I am just guessing, but it seems to me that they are fine with her and even enjoy her company, but don't go out of their way to interact with her. They may go hunting, fishing, etc together even without Charles when they are together at Balmoral.

Outside of family holidays, I think she's welcome to all events that Charles attends, but I don't think they call her to see how she is or stop in for a visit when they know Charles isn't there.

William does see Camilla w/o Charles. In April 1999, he attended Laura Parker Bowles' 21st birthday party. PW was 16. Prince Charles did not attend.

In December 2007, he joined Camilla & her family for dinner again w/o Prince Charles.

Frankly I'm not sure the Queen likes anyone very much. This is probably coloured by the fact I've just watch Elizabeth R the 1992 documentary. So removed from reality, no wonder the palace wanted to bury this programme.

And I support the monarchy .

Sorry, off topic.

Lol, I'm not sure about that, cepe. I think she loves her family very much.

Last edited:
William does see Camilla w/o Charles. In April 1999, he attended Laura Parker Bowles' 21st birthday party. PW was 16. Prince Charles did not attend.

In December 2007, he joined Camilla & her family for dinner again w/o Prince Charles.

I always thought that William must have had a good relationship with Camilla and her children as he asked Eliza Lopes to be in his wedding party. To me that spoke volumes about the actual relationship between William and Camilla.

Maybe the Queen really liked Camilla..But just sent out an impression (or just let people assume) that she doesnt like her (at that time).. Frankly, which mother will hate a woman who gave her son all he needs in his real bad times..
But since she learned a lesson in '97 that "angels" are powerful than Queens in peoples hearts, she just pretended to be indifferent to Camilla for a long time..
And simply let the spin doctors spread that she is against C-C wedding, and was forced by Charles to consent for that....Just my idea..

And regarding Queen's diaries, sorry we are gonna get nothing out of it..As she stated there is hardly anything in them. I actually wonder whether she "feels" anything at all..to write in diary..:lol:

I always thought that William must have had a good relationship with Camilla and her children as he asked Eliza Lopes to be in his wedding party. To me that spoke volumes about the actual relationship between William and Camilla.

I agree. On several occasions, Wiliam has been seen having dinner with Camilla and her children, usually at Locanda Locatelli or Scotts.

always thought that William must have had a good relationship with Camilla and her children as he asked Eliza Lopes to be in his wedding party. To me that spoke volumes about the actual relationship between William and Camilla.

And we must not forget that both William annd Harry attended Camilla's father funerals in 2006.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone who reminded me of William's relationship with Camilla and her family. When I talk about a "close" relationship, I am describing a relationship with regular one-on-one interaction. As far as I know, William and Harry don't get together with Camilla alone.

I have close friends and often we will get our families together. I consider myself my friend's with the family members of my friends, but I am not always "close" with the family members, if that makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom