Relationship of the Royal Family with The Duchess of Cornwall

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a tiny hunch that the Queen Mum may off unofficially left them "to any future spouse's of the Prince of Wales". I remember reading that Camilla could not have attended the Queen Mums funeral unless the QM had already planned for her to be there. I think a lot of things have gone down behind closed doors that we may not ever know about.

So secretive sometimes. I guess that's the English for you... dignified. Americans are so out there with everything, guess I'm just used to that.. everything is always aired, found out. No privacy if you're famous. Interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a tiny hunch that the Queen Mum may off unofficially left them "to any future spouse's of the Prince of Wales". I remember reading that Camilla could not have attended the Queen Mums funeral unless the QM had already planned for her to be there. I think a lot of things have gone down behind closed doors that we may not ever know about.

I would tend to agree with that assessment....."future spouse of the Prince of Wales" could also apply to the wife of William. She was insuring that the jewels would remain in the family.

The Queen Mother was friendly with Andrew Parker-Bowles and Camilla for many years, so it's probably safe to say she certainly liked her. Whether that extended to her role as royal mistress and then, a future wife of her grandson, is entirely another matter.

It's been documented in quite a few reliable sources that The Queen Mother made it very clear she was adamantly opposed to Charles marrying Camilla after Diana's death. Given her own experience with the Abdication and Wallis Simpson, it doesn't take much imagination to assume The Queen Mother would be hostile to yet another similar situation, viewing any remarriage as a threat to the monarchy.

As far as her jewels and properties, these were all left to The Queen to avoid estate taxes in a sovereign to sovereign transfer. I highly doubt she left instructions to give all of her jewels to Charles, but she certainly may have indicated Birkhall was to go to him.

Good answer. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if anyone has brought up this question/topic... but I was wondering how did the Queen Mother feel about Camilla? Seeing how they married after she died, I was just wondering if that was a factor or not?

Whilst the QMs approval or dissapproval may have been a factor, in my view, the bigger issue was the softening of public opening towards a remarriage of the PoW with Camilla. This took a fair few years, and hence the timing.

I think only problem QM had with camilla is she had no royal blood.

I don't thinkl that is very likely, as the QM herself was not royal - merely of aristocratic background.

I mean didn't Camilla's ancestor become a mistress to Edward VII? I know that has nothing to do with this, but I'm mentioning it anyway. I understand that times have changed and it's more accepted now, to marry a divorcee - but it's just weird.

Alice Keppel was Camilla's great-grandmother. Its even rumoured that Camilla's grandma Sonia is of royal blood. :)

So secretive sometimes. I guess that's the English for you... dignified. Americans are so out there with everything, guess I'm just used to that.. everything is always aired, found out. No privacy if you're famous. Interesting.

We always try to be private, we don't like "airing our dirty washing" in public. :flowers:

That's actually another reason I asked... it just seems like a lot of her jewels are going to Camilla, not to the Queen(meaning the Queen is not wearing them, she is picking and choosing - I know she does have some of her mother's jewels, but ...) or anyone else in the family. :ermm:
Am I wrong in assuming this? Has anyone else received any of her jewels??

The jewellery that Prince Charles given to Camilla since 2005 (an engagement ring, earings & a 5-string necklace of diamonds & emeralds - broken into 2 sets) were all part of a set of jewellery given to the Queen Mother in c.1940 by one of her close friends an American socialite Lady Greville of Polesden Lacey. They were not part of the royal jewellery collection. Indeed the King thought them so ostentatious a gift that he forbad his wife from wearing them during the War & after. This has all been published in a book about royal jewllery by Diana Scarisbrick - I think. Because she regarded them as her own personal property when the QM drew up her will she bequeathed them to the present Prince of Wales (not a future one) for his use. This is certainly what she did with the paintings & watercolours that she had personally acquired over the years. They may have gone via the Queen to avoid tax, but they were intended for Prince Charles & in that case he passed them on to the Royal Collection Trust for display at Clarence House. I know this because I was told by a former member of the Trust when the QM was still alive that that was what would happen on her death.

Paintings and watercolours are one thing. Jewels are another.

I would think The Queen Mother would have let her daughter, The Queen, decide what to do with her mother's personal jewels, which after all, rightfully belong to her as the surviving child. Indeed, The Queen has been very generous with gifting many substantial pieces for Camilla's use.

Other pieces, such as the Indian Ruby and George III Tiaras, as well as Alexandra's pearl and diamond parure, belonged to the Crown and returned to the royal collection.

The jewellery that Prince Charles given to Camilla since 2005 (an engagement ring, earings & a 5-string necklace of diamonds & emeralds - broken into 2 sets) were all part of a set of jewellery given to the Queen Mother in c.1940 by one of her close friends an American socialite Lady Greville of Polesden Lacey. They were not part of the royal jewellery collection. Indeed the King thought them so ostentatious a gift that he forbad his wife from wearing them during the War & after. This has all been published in a book about royal jewllery by Diana Scarisbrick - I think.

You are right, a number of the jewels Camilla has worn since her wedding to Charles are from the Greville bequest. That said, Camilla herself has worn substantial pieces from the royal collection, not least the Delhi Durbar tiara.

Indeed the King thought them so ostentatious a gift that he forbad his wife from wearing them during the War & after. This has all been published in a book about royal jewllery by Diana Scarisbrick - I think.

I am not sure I fully agree. The QM wore the Greville diamond necklace (at least in 3 string form) on more than one occassion after the war. She also used the Greville emerald necklace. Also, the Queen wore the Greville ruby and diamond necklace on a number of occassions.

Paintings and watercolours are one thing. Jewels are another.

I would think The Queen Mother would have let her daughter, The Queen, decide what to do with her mother's personal jewels, which after all, rightfully belong to her as the surviving child. Indeed, The Queen has been very generous with gifting many substantial pieces for Camilla's use.

Other pieces, such as the Indian Ruby and George III Tiaras, as well as Alexandra's pearl and diamond parure, belonged to the Crown and returned to the royal collection.

The point I was making about the Greville emerald & diamond jewellery was that they did not belong by right to the Queen. They belonged to the QM to bequeath to whomever she saw fit. The fact that Camilla wears the emerald & diamond set & the Queen has worn the ruby & diamond Greville jewels suggests that one set was bequeathed to the Prince & the other to the Queen and that with the set bequeathed to the Prince the QM would have been well aware around whose neck and finger they would end up. Combined with the fact that the QM allowed Prince Charles & Camilla to use Birkhall Lodge during her summer stay also suggests that she was more appreciative of Camilla's relationship with the Prince than has been claimed some Palace officials and commentators.

You are right, a number of the jewels Camilla has worn since her wedding to Charles are from the Greville bequest. That said, Camilla herself has worn substantial pieces from the royal collection, not least the Delhi Durbar tiara.

I am not sure I fully agree. The QM wore the Greville diamond necklace (at least in 3 string form) on more than one occassion after the war. She also used the Greville emerald necklace. Also, the Queen wore the Greville ruby and diamond necklace on a number of occassions.
Yes I have seen her wear the necklace as well. Also, the present Queen has worn the Greville ruby pin.

Alice Keppel was Camilla's great-grandmother. Its even rumoured that Camilla's grandma Sonia is of royal blood. :)

We always try to be private, we don't like "airing our dirty washing" in public. :flowers:
How would Sonia be of "royal blood" - please don't tell me she was the love child of Alice and Edward. That would be just tooooo weird. lol.

There have been rumours that Charles and Camilla may well be distant cousins through Keppel, if in fact Sonia was Keppels and the Kings love child. But we will most likely never know this.

Um, ok, same Great-Grandfather. Whow. Interesting. That's a very close cousin... a little too close don't you think? That is if it's true.

Last edited:
How would Sonia be of "royal blood" - please don't tell me she was the love child of Alice and Edward. That would be just tooooo weird. lol.

well she is reputed to be the illegitimate child of King Edward VII and Alice Keppel, there is no proof and the King did not acknowledge many illegitimate offsring, during his life time !

i believe the subject is slightly touched upon in the thread royal scandals. :flowers:

well she is reputed to be the illegitimate child of King Edward VII and Alice Keppel, there is no proof and the King did not acknowledge many illegitimate offsring, during his life time !

i believe the subject is slightly touched upon in the thread royal scandals. :flowers:

Yeah, I was talking about The Marchioness of Londonderry - if they had had a relationship which produced an illegit child. Whom did he admit to? I don't think I read about that.

:previous:
well i dare say he may had privately abmitted to being the father to some of the supposed offspring, but this is conjecture on my part.

as i have mentioned here and in the thread royal scandals, Edward did not acknowledge and never officialy recognised any illegitimate offspring. most of the evidence is circumstantal which would seem to suggest that the supposed offspring was fathered by Edward and nothing more !

thus the answer to your question is none....he did not abmitt to any ! :flowers:

well close cousins indeed if this is ture ...don't seem to matter much since they will not have children.

the relationship between The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall would be as follows .....half second cousins once removed !! :flowers:

The Queen and DoE are third cousins, but it doesnt really matter as they dont and will not have children together. This is going off topic a bit I think, but perhaps one of the reasons the RF didnt want Charles and Camilla together is because they knew Camilla was actually related? I dont think the RF would have been to keen on mixing those blood lines again.

Whether they are second-cousins-once removed or third cousins, it's not that close a relationship in terms of genetics. There are twice as many grandparents and great-grandparents involved than would be the case if people were first cousins.

The Queen and DoE are third cousins, but it doesnt really matter as they dont and will not have children together. This is going off topic a bit I think, but perhaps one of the reasons the RF didnt want Charles and Camilla together is because they knew Camilla was actually related? I dont think the RF would have been to keen on mixing those blood lines again.

Whether they are second-cousins-once removed or third cousins, it's not that close a relationship in terms of genetics. There are twice as many grandparents and great-grandparents involved than would be the case if people were first cousins.
Oh well - the lines were too close on the way down anyway.

The point I was making about the Greville emerald & diamond jewellery was that they did not belong by right to the Queen. They belonged to the QM to bequeath to whomever she saw fit. The fact that Camilla wears the emerald & diamond set & the Queen has worn the ruby & diamond Greville jewels suggests that one set was bequeathed to the Prince & the other to the Queen and that with the set bequeathed to the Prince the QM would have been well aware around whose neck and finger they would end up. Combined with the fact that the QM allowed Prince Charles & Camilla to use Birkhall Lodge during her summer stay also suggests that she was more appreciative of Camilla's relationship with the Prince than has been claimed some Palace officials and commentators.

What emerald and diamond necklace are you referring to? As far as I am awawe, Camilla does not have any emeralds with a Greville provenance.

As regards the ruby neckalce worn by the Queen, she received it as a wedding present from her parents. She has not worn it since the 1970s.

The Queen and DoE are third cousins, but it doesnt really matter as they dont and will not have children together.

hehe.. do you know something we dont. they have four children at the last count, well three if one believe's the allegation that the then Lord Porchester, is the father of Prince Andrew, The Duke of York....:flowers:

Its rumoured that she is. :)

The Queen and DoE are third cousins, but it doesnt really matter as they dont and will not have children together.

hehe.. do you know something we dont. they have four children at the last count, well three if one believe's the allegation that the then Lord Porchester, is the father of Prince Andrew, The Duke of York....:flowers:

I think Princejohnny is referring possible to Camilla and Charles? :ermm:
I have never heard that the Duke of York was not born of Elizabeth and Phillip.

hahahahaha, o my queen, I was referring to Fred and Gladys. Must learn to write my setences a bit better. I never heard about any of this DoY buisness either??

It has been rumoured for years that Andrew is not Philip's child but the child of Lord Porchester, especially as around the time of Andrew's conception there were also the rumours of the royal marriage being in trouble. See these stories:

Windsor Knot - NYTimes.com
Royal Bastards, Part 1
Portrait of a marriage - Telegraph

The story is repeated in many other papers, both reputable and otherwise that the Queen had an affair with Lord Porchester and that Andrew was the result.

Personally I don't believe that either the Queen or Philip have been unfaithful but that is me.

Back
Top Bottom