Prince of Wales: Official Visit to Israel & the Occupied Palestine - Jan 23-24, 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

muriel

Imperial Majesty
City
London / Guildford
Country
United Kingdom
Prince of Wales: Official Visit to Israel & the Occupied Palestine - Jan 23-24, 2020

Prince Charles will visit Israel and the occupied Palestinian territories 23rd-24th January on behalf of the govt. He will undertake engagements to remember the Holocaust, and focus on the Jewish faith.

The Official Press Release:
https://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/pr...le-markets-council-world-economic-forum-davos

More about the visit;

Prince Charles' tour in the Middle East is his first to Israel for an 'official visit' and his first time in the West Bank ever.
He will meet @PresidentRuvi in Jerusalem and Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas in Bethlehem.

The focus of the visit to Israel will be the #WorldHolocaustForum at
@yadvashem to mark the 75th anniversary of the liberation of the Auschwitz-Birkenau camp. Prince Charles will be one of just five world leaders who will speak at the official commemoration on 23 January

I think the World Holocaust Forum is such a big engagement, the fact Charles is one of only five leaders to speak at the commemoration is a huge mark of respect.

The Duchess of Cornwall will not accompany Prince Charles on this visit?

That is becoming a norm, isn’t it ? I mean, the Prince of Wales going on tours alone.

Well The Duchess of Cambridge didn’t accompany Prince William on his recent tour to a similar area....

They’re not joined at the hip.

The Official Press Release:
https://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/pr...le-markets-council-world-economic-forum-davos

More about the visit;

I think the World Holocaust Forum is such a big engagement, the fact Charles is one of only five leaders to speak at the commemoration is a huge mark of respect.

Yes indeed. A very significant event. I'm sure the role of his paternal grandmother may in part have led to this invitation to actually speak in addition to his presence as being the official representative of the United Kingdom (Commonwealth?).

It seems Camilla, who does dislike flying, doesn't join him on tours that are only a day or two long but quite far away. I think that is pretty fair, they don't have to do everything together.

I don't find it unusual that Camilla isn't to accompany Charles on this trip. Most likely she had other engagements on her calendar and Charles sees this as a "working" trip as well as an "official" visit and the purposes of the visit are laid out clearly.

Its not a tour where Charles will not be out to meet and greet the people and touring the area. He's there to commemorate a specific event which is the liberation of Auschwitz-Birkenau concentration camp. He is one of five world leaders to be invited to attend this special commemoration.

As a man that is quite spiritually concerned about all religions and has a grandmother that is buried in Israel among the "righteous", I find it fitting that Charles is attending.

It seems Camilla, who does dislike flying, doesn't join him on tours that are only a day or two long but quite far away. I think that is pretty fair, they don't have to do everything together.

Grand Duchess Maria Teresa of Luxembourg does not always accompany her husband on foreign trips either...for the same reason.

The Duchess of Cornwall will not accompany Prince Charles on this visit?

She isn't going to Israel and the Occupied Territories with Charles because she is going solo to Poland for the commemorations of the lilberation of the Auschwitz there. This was announced at the same time as Charles' visit to Israel and the Occupied Territories. https://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/news

Edward will be attending an event in the UK as well.

Camilla's going to the commemorations at Auschwitz-Birkenau, and William and Kate will be attending an event in London

I thought Prince Charles's speech was wonderful, especially when so many of the politicians used the occasion to make digs about current political issues. He spoke very well.

Court Circular 22nd January:
Clarence House

The Prince of Wales this morning departed from Prestwick International Airport for Switzerland.

The Prince of Wales later departed for Israel and was received this evening upon arrival at Tel Aviv Ben Gurion International Airport by Her Majesty's Ambassador to the State of Israel (His Excellency Mr. Neil Wigan).

Court Circular 23rd January:
Clarence House

The Prince of Wales this morning called upon The President of the State of Israel at Beit HaNassi, Jerusalem.

His Royal Highness afterwards met Holocaust survivors at the Israel Museum, Jerusalem.

The Prince of Wales this afternoon visited the Shrine of the Book at the Israel Museum.

His Royal Highness later attended the World Holocaust Forum at Yad Vashem, Jerusalem, and laid a wreath to commemorate the Seventy Fifth Anniversary of the Liberation of Auschwitz-Birkenau.

The Prince of Wales this evening attended a Reception given by Her Majesty's Ambassador to the State of Israel (His Excellency Mr. Neil Wigan) at the Residence to celebrate the UK-Israel Relationship.

Court Circular 24th January:
Clarence House

The Prince of Wales this morning visited the Mosque of Omar, Manger Square, Bethlehem.

His Royal Highness afterwards attended a Church Service to celebrate the role of Christians in the Middle East, at the Church of the Nativity, Manger Square, Bethlehem.

The Prince of Wales subsequently visited the Nativity Grotto and birthplace of Christ in Manger Square.

His Royal Highness today attended a Reception at Casa Nova Pilgrim Guest House, Bethlehem.

The Prince of Wales this afternoon called upon The President of the Palestinian Authority (Mr. Mahmoud Abbas) at the Presidential Palace, Bethlehem.

His Royal Highness afterwards visited an olive grove at Al Karmel Convent, Bethlehem.

The Prince of Wales later visited the Church of Mary Magdalene, Mount of Olives, Jerusalem.

His Royal Highness this evening arrived at Royal Air Force Brize Norton from Israel.
Mr. Clive Alderton, Mr. Scott Furssedonn-Wood and Mr. Julian Payne were in attendance.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's great to see Charles on this visit and I agree that his speech was wonderful during the commemorations. And, not only as the Prince of Wales, but it was also fitting to have him there as the main speaker being the grandchild of a Righteous Amongst the Nations.

Prince Charles has had a fruitful week.
The topics that he has addressed are tragic and yet real life catastrophies that require World leaders to reflect upon for future hope.
Charles showed a high level of both research and compassion.

Hiistory is always intensely interesting when the personal experiences of people are examined. I found individual stories told at the gathering fascinating.

The Holocaust is distressing to imagine but we must never forget.

With the focus being on the recent visit to Israel and Occupied Palestine and the various different memorial and remembrance services being held around the world on the anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz, I thought I'd mention a book that had a profound effect on me in understanding the hell that were those concentration camps and a better understanding of my own self.

It is written by a Holocaust survivor and the book is "Man's Search For Meaning" by Viktor Frankl.

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

Camilla's going to the commemorations at Auschwitz-Birkenau, and William and Kate will be attending an event in London

I thought Prince Charles's speech was wonderful, especially when so many of the politicians used the occasion to make digs about current political issues. He spoke very well.

I've been to Auschwitz. It's a difficult place to visit.

I’m delighted Charles visited Palestine. When I visited Jerusalem two years ago a Christian native wished they were still under the British mandate instead of the current occupation.

I have too ... must be 12 years ago now. I'm glad that a senior member of the Royal Family's going for such a significant anniversary.

A video for Prince Charle's visit yesterday

I have Auschwitz on my list of places to visit but I can imagine it must be very harrowing being there. I've been to Sachsenhausen on the outskirts of Berlin which was difficult enough.

HRH The Prince of Wales visited the tomb of his grandmother Princess Alice at the Mount of Olives in Jerusalem .

Back
Top Bottom