Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall: Visit to the US - November 1-8, 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that's a compliment. And actually..thats not the first time I heard that the Duchess had great legs.

I think it was meant as a funny compiment, meaning a joke and praising someone at the same time. It just doesn't look well in print.

As far as Americans not being into royals or not following protocal etc. I disagree. Americans can be into royals as much as anyone, but they are also into other stars and personalities too. So it just depends on what your interested in. I think a lot of people confuse America's past and break for independance with setiments in modern America. No one here hates them b/c they are royal etc. They are quite welcome and the press has been good. Any negative press is just tabloid stuff being printed to get attention.

As far as protocol goes, Americans in general don't curtsey. They can choose to if they wish. The reason Americans don't has to do with the fact that we are not supposed to bow to another nation no matter what nation. That does have to go with our history and being a colony of England. Paying taxes and tribute to England when we were members of the England was a sore spot for many colonists. So when we broke away, our founding fathers said we would never bow to anyone. Meaning we would never concede our place as an equal to another nation. This is why America does not dip it's flag at the Olympics either. It has nothing to do with an insult to another nation, it is part of our culture.

As far a the first lady touching Prince Charles, she was probally being nice. It was a personal gesture of friendlyness. Many Americans (not all) are very tactile and informal people. She would do the same thing for the Queen as she would for Putin as she would for the homeless. It was a sweet gesture. She comes across as a very nice woman who does care about people (and no I don't like her husband) no matter who they are. Plus it's hard to change your personality all the time. She was just trying to make them feel welcome.

And yes, each president gets their own China pattern. The Smithsonian has a great collection of Presidential china on display. Some of very regal, classic and formal. Others, I thought were garish, but it was the peroid. It also reflects the Presidental taste too. You can even buy reproductions at the gift shop.

I liked Camilla's outfits. I don't think she is a fashionista nor does she want to be. She's not into that stuff. She just wants to look nice. Sometimes she looks better than others but I still think she looks good. I hope she and Charles enjoy their stay.

ysbel said:
New Yorkers don't always even wear black to commemoration ceremonies. I bet Laura got a surprise when Camilla showed up in darks tonight. It made Laura stand out more. She's not the type of First Lady to like to stand out. Maybe she saw Camilla's dress from the commemoration?

They may not but you don't show up at a place as a head of state dressed in a bright color.

New yorkers don't alwasy wear black. I my don't always wear black. But, a Dark color is what you wear. Blue, Dark Grey, Brown. You don't wear PINK or RED. Like I stated. She should have reversed her colors between the day & night events. The Dark Blue during the day & the Bright Color at night.:cool:

Panther2000 said:
They may not but you don't show up at a place as a head of state dressed in a bright color.

But, a Dark color is what you wear. Blue, Dark Grey, Brown. You don't wear PINK or RED.
Who made these specific rules and when? I don't believe she's the head of state either. :cool:

It could be argued that a person shouldn't need a research grant to notice a certain avatar of Queen Mary that inhabits the British forum. Maybe a new pair of reading glasses, though...:cool:

Warren said:
As one who keeps a running tab on such details, I have conducted a quick survey of this page and the previous 10 pages of this thread.

NB.. only avatars of British Royals have been counted, and only those used by individual Members (and not the number of posts).

The results are:
Camilla: 4
Diana: 3
Lovers Knot Tiara: 1
Queen Victoria: 1
Prince Harry: 1

I have added the tiara (as it belonged to the late Princess) to the Diana avatars, and placed VRI and Harry in the neutral corner (but opposite to each other as Harry may be a tad too rowdy for the old Queen).

This calculation gives 4 and 4. Equal!
A perfect balance, an equilibrium, a ying and a yang!

If anyone wishes for a more formal survey of avatar usage throughout the entire British Forums, I am open to offers of a Research Grant.

:) W

Usually the royals wear bright colours during the day so as to be easily visible - the exception would be something like the Remembrance Day service at the Cenotaph. In this case, Camilla was doing a bunch of stuff other than going to the memorial site, and she probably dressed in usual royal fashion, in an eye-catching colour.

Since royals aren't usually mingling with crowds in the evening, darker colours are less of a problem as far as being noticed is concerned, so you often see darker evening wear than day wear on the royal ladies.

Panther2000 said:

New yorkers don't alwasy wear black. I my don't always wear black. But, a Dark color is what you wear. Blue, Dark Grey, Brown. You don't wear PINK or RED. Like I stated. She should have reversed her colors between the day & night events. The Dark Blue during the day & the Bright Color at night.:cool:

Panther2000 said:

Camilla is not our head of state, just for the record.:)

I tend to wear brighter colours during the day and all my evening/cocktail dresses are black, dark blue or dark green. In the UK, you often refer to the 'little black number'

Some people forbid the wearing of black at memorial sites/services. At two I have recently attended, they both specified 'no black' for the women. You can feel and express your sorrow without wearing black from head to toe. I thought she looked just fine and was proud she and Charles were there to express the sympathy of the UK for the victims of 9/11.

Elspeth said:
Usually the royals wear bright colours during the day so as to be easily visible - the exception would be something like the Remembrance Day service at the Cenotaph. In this case, Camilla was doing a bunch of stuff other than going to the memorial site, and she probably dressed in usual royal fashion, in an eye-catching colour.

Since royals aren't usually mingling with crowds in the evening, darker colours are less of a problem as far as being noticed is concerned, so you often see darker evening wear than day wear on the royal ladies.

That makes sense Elspeth. :)

Congratulations, Emma you got into print! How did you meet the reporter to talk to them?

I don't actually see the problem people go there to the site dressed in all manor of clothing when I have been I didn't dress up. Because actually all you see is where the buildings were.

ysbel said:
That makes sense Elspeth. :)

Congratulations, Emma you got into print! How did you meet the reporter to talk to them?

awww...thanks!

I was just standing outside the White House. with a small crowd when a journalist walked over and asked me if I was there to see Camilla. We probably chatted for 10 minutes, she asked me about how I got interested in royalty etc.

she talked to a number of people but I think I got quoted because I'm the only one who said anything nice about Camilla.

There has been so much negative coverage. I'm very happy I was able, in a small way, to stand up for Camilla.

You mean all the other people who were there to see the royal couple were people who didn't like Camilla but had taken the time to go and see her anyway?

She looks nice today she is wearing a blue suit.The pictures are up on getty.

Yesterday's pictures from Colourpress. Reception at the White House.

Attachments

• COLOUR10371168.jpg
    COLOUR10371168.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 184
  • COLOUR10371169.jpg
    COLOUR10371169.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 144
  • COLOUR10371170.jpg
    COLOUR10371170.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 171
  • COLOUR10371171.jpg
    COLOUR10371171.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 200
  • COLOUR10371172.jpg
    COLOUR10371172.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 198
  • COLOUR10371173.jpg
    COLOUR10371173.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 203
  • COLOUR10371174.jpg
    COLOUR10371174.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 252
  • COLOUR10371175.jpg
    COLOUR10371175.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 162
  • COLOUR10371176.jpg
    COLOUR10371176.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 221
  • COLOUR10371177.jpg
    COLOUR10371177.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 146
Re;

Those earrings and snake necklace seem to be Camilla's signature set. I like them and I love the earrings on her. They really flatter her but I'd like to see a different necklace with them. I like the snake one but I think a necklace in a similar style to the earrings would look better.

I think Camilla's really got a signature style now. We know what to expect almost and thats re-assuring.

Alicky said:
Who made these specific rules and when? I don't believe she's the head of state either. :cool:

Respect it is called,

her stylist probably just picked the wrong outfit for that occasion. It feels like Spring here in New York. But, that is not the place to wear such a color when showing respect as a official Visit.

Elspeth said:

Yeah, I figured that. But, Still a bad choice. Paying respect to the dead where Thousands died in a country where you are trying to win the publics affections. Well, Just a bad choice. & From what I read she was going to be chaning clothes throughout the day anyways.

It was a nice suit. But, She should have worn the Brighter color for the dinner & the Darker color during the Ground Zero Visit.

Lady Marmalade said:
Are there any pictures of the Bush twins, Jenna and Barbara, and what they wore? I could not find any.

mandyy said:
Jenna Bush (R), daughter of U.S. President George W. Bush, sits at a social dinner with her guest Henry Hager at the White House in Washington November 2, 2005. The rare black tie dinner was held by Bush for Britain's Prince Charles and Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, who are on an eight-day visit to the United States. REUTERS/Jason Reed
attachment.php

I think Barbara Bush is currently working with AID victims in Africa. This twin is no air-head, she is a graduate of Yale University. Her twin sister, Jenna, likes to party hard and meet royalty whenever she has the opportunity.

Last edited:
pollyemma said:
I was just standing outside the White House. with a small crowd when a journalist walked over and asked me if I was there to see Camilla. We probably chatted for 10 minutes, she asked me about how I got interested in royalty etc.

Emma, that's so neat. I'm glad you were able to go. :)

panther2000, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Did we hear whether they are going to New Orleans? Maybe somebody answered and I didn't see it.

Re:

It's very bad form to touch a member of the Royal Family. A mortal sin in some circles.

I think it's now been confirmed that Charles and Camilla are going to New Orleans.

Thanks BeatrixFan.

Yeah it is against protocol but the Royal Family are used to it. They have to be to be in public so much.

When the Queen went to California, one of the officials kept grabbing her arm to lead her around places. He was just trying to be polite.

Afterwards, one of the Queen's people sent him a thanks and an autographed photo of the Queen with a note, "The Queen was very touched"

She had a sense of humor about the whole thing. :D

Panther2000 said:
Respect it is called,

But, that is not the place to wear such a color when showing respect as a official Visit.
All according to your opinion, no actual laws of/or protocol were broken. Why don't you criticize the others as well? :cool:

BeatrixFan said:
It's very bad form to touch a member of the Royal Family. A mortal sin in some circles.
Quite true, but in all fairness, I think it's safe to say she wasn't actually touching him (at least not in that picture), but probably making the sort of gesture that one often does when showing some sort of polite "following after" if that makes any sense. Let's certainly hope she wouldn't actually touch him there... quelle international incident.

Skydragon said:
I didn't agree with the demonstrations against your president when he was in this country, I don't remember what they were about, it's a matter of good manners. I certainly don't agree with someone stalking a woman who married for love.:(

I like Camilla's style, chic rather than the moments fashion. A lot of her outfits don't photograph well but, she has never dressed for the press.
It has been nice seeing all the photo's on here though.

Thank you, very kind of you to post this. :)

I am happy to see respect works both sides of the pond when dignitaries are visiting.

I think President Bush and the First Lady did an excellent job last night hosting the Prince and Duchess. Class, good manners, and the ability to make visiting guests welcome and comfortable go a long way.

CONGRATS TO MY PRESIDENT AND FIRST LADY FOR ANOTHER SUCCESS!!

Last edited:
BeatrixFan said:
Those earrings and snake necklace seem to be Camilla's signature set. I like them and I love the earrings on her. They really flatter her but I'd like to see a different necklace with them. I like the snake one but I think a necklace in a similar style to the earrings would look better.

I think Camilla's really got a signature style now. We know what to expect almost and thats re-assuring.

Yes, I was just thinking there was something a bit like the Queen in her approach to presenting herself; she isn't experimenting, she's figured out what suits her and adapted it for her needs.

Re:

I think all members of the RFs around the world have signature fashions. We expect huge hats from Beatrix, huge hair from Fabiola and now we've got a fair idea of what Camilla will be wearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom