Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall: Visit to the US - November 1-8, 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Skydragon said:
Shame on the New York Post for calling Camilla a frump. Perhaps the writer has no idea about chic. :mad:
You also have an English 'woman' called Lisa Hartwick, who lives in Edinburgh following them around with nasty placards. :mad:
So if you meet either of these 'women', squash them!:D

If Lisa Hartwick is in the USA, she is entitled to the right of assembly and a peaceful protest.

#1: Britain's Prince Charles (C) and his wife Camilla (R), Duchess of Cornwall, are met by Washington Mayor Tony Williams (L) as they arrive to tour the SEED School in Washington, DC. Prince Charles and his new wife, Camilla had lunch at the White House on the second day of their tour to woo the lukewarm American public.(AFP/Tim Sloan)
#2: US President George W. Bush (R) and First Lady Laura Bush (2nd L) welcome Britain's Prince Charles (2nd R) and his wife Camilla (L), Duchess of Cornwall during an arrival ceremony on the South Lawn at The White House in Washington, DC. The Prince and Duchess are on an eight-day US tour of goodwill diplomacy and promotion of their pet social projects.(AFP/Brendan Smialowski)
#3: From right, District of Columbia Mayor Tony Williams, first lady Laura Bush, Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall and students applaud Britain's Prince Charles after the ceremonial planting of an English Oak tree inside the SEED School Wednesday, Nov. 2, 2005 in Washington. (AP Photo/Manuel Balce Ceneta)
#4: Prince Charles goes over school work with SEED School student Bernard Ross, 13, while touring the school in Washington November 2, 2005. The SEED School offers an intensive academic and boarding education to 320 urban children in grades seven through twelve. Prince Charles and Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, are on an eight-day tour of the United States. REUTERS/Susan Walsh/Pool
#6: Britain's Prince Charles, left, and his wife Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, is presented with two painted bowls from the SEED School of Washington D.C. student Bianca Jones, right, Wednesday, Nov. 2, 2005, in Washington. (AP Photo/Manuel Balce Ceneta)
#5,7,9-10: AP
#8: Reuters

Attachments

• afp.jpg
    afp.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 152
  • afp1.jpg
    afp1.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 141
  • ap11.jpg
    ap11.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 132
  • r1193649646.jpg
    r1193649646.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 117
  • r.jpg
    r.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 117
  • ap.jpg
    ap.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 131
  • ap1.jpg
    ap1.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 126
  • r1.jpg
    r1.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 114
  • ap2.jpg
    ap2.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 113
  • ap3.jpg
    ap3.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
I think the new Princess of Wales looks samashing :) And I think Charles Will make a good King

Camilla has chosen to be called Duchess of Cornwall. To refer to her as Princess of Wales would indicate she does not have the capabilities to determine what she would like to be called. Her husband's childrens mother will for a long time be associated with the Princess of Wales title and it may have been out of concern for them that she chose to not use it.

Does anyone know what time the dinner starts tonight I didn't see it in the newspapers today?

tiaraprin said:
If Lisa Hartwick is in the USA, she is entitled to the right of assembly and a peaceful protest.

What she has no right to do is to infer that she speaks for the whole of the UK, when she doesn't and to say that Americans do not want Camilla in the USA. Unless I have misread most people on here, who seem to be giving Camilla a chance, that is also untrue.
As anyone can see, there are people on these forums who should perhaps stick to the forums glorifying the ex hrh.

tiaraprin said:
I'm all for protests, but over Charles and Di?! Oh well, she's only making herself look bad IMO.

Here is a video of Charles & Camilla arriving at the White House from CTV.ca

Video

Skydragon said:
What she has no right to do is to infer that she speaks for the whole of the UK, when she doesn't and to say that Americans do not want Camilla in the USA. Unless I have misread most people on here, who seem to be giving Camilla a chance, that is also untrue.
As anyone can see, there are people on these forums who should perhaps stick to the forums glorifying the ex hrh.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. While Ms. Hartwick does not speak for the entire United Kingdom or the USA, she is right on target about my feelings.

I love seeing these pictures of TRH... Prince Charles looks lighter and more carefree than I think I've ever seen him, and so often the two of them seem to be laughing or sharing a joke. The history is there, and it's disturbing to many people, but when that is all said and done, happiness is happiness, and its always wonderful to see, as is evidence of forgiveness.

Re: the protestors... I completely support the right to free expression, but while picketing about political events or injustices seems a reasonable exercise of this privilege, carrying placards whose sole intent is to defame someone's character seems a little childish. Regardless of opinion, it would be nice to see people keeping their dignity.

I think it's rare to see digniteries of similar heights, both the gentlemen and ladies. No one is towering over the others. It just makes the pictures look nicer.:D

From all the pictures on Getty they seem to be enjoying themselves. And they look happy together it is nice to see charles and camilla laughing together.

Here are a couple nice ones from today, credit Getty. They did look a bit stiff when posing with the Bushes (and I don't mean the ones with leaves).

tiaraprin said:

If she's following them around though, she could be seen as stalking them which is increasingly considered so serious that several states have passed laws against it. She'd better be careful.

Charles had a stalker before he married. An American woman who was obsessed with him was following him around. It was really sad; she had mental problems and had to be put in a mental institution.

The New York Post is one of the trashiest papers in New York-they love to throw the dirt on anybody except mob gangsters and then they get all offended that the District Attorney is going after their heroes. :rolleyes:

The Daily New is another rag - their headlines was 'Camilla Bowles Them Over' so the press coverage in New York was both positive and negative.

Skydragon said:
Well welcome on the forums Skydragon:) . I hope you enjoy the British treads.
As a side note, politely suggesting that some posters should get lost is maybe not the most brillant start.

The press coverage in the UK is positive and courteous and she gets thumbs up for her (rather odd and OTT IMHO) style but from what I read, American are rather more apathic that anything else. And so are most British people.

When is the dinner tonight?

CNN just showed the arrival on TV. Camilla was wearing a black jacket with glittery trim, and a navy skirt. Hopefullly we will she a picture of her with the jacket off. She looked really nice!

I would think it would be soon about 8:00.

News flash to the Duchess of Cornwall.... Black and Navy Blue, not such a great combo! The First Lady looks glamorous compared to the frumpy Duchess... One note to Mrs Bush, it's against protocol to touch a member of the Royal Family. I noticed that she put her hand on the prince's back.

zeap said:
News flash to the Duchess of Cornwall.... Black and Navy Blue, not such a great combo! The First Lady looks glamorous compared to the frumpy Duchess...
Actually Laura always dressed well IMO. She's quite a classy lady. Yep, Black and Navy sound like a fashion sin on paper, but I wait to see picture before judging.
One note to Mrs Bush, it's against protocol to touch a member of the Royal Family. I noticed that she put her hand on the prince's back.
:confused:

What are the people outside protesting? It sounds like they're saying 'We want freedom'

#1-5,9-10: AP
#6-8: Reuters

Attachments

• r4.jpg
    r4.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 134
  • ap10.jpg
    ap10.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 127
  • ap9.jpg
    ap9.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 122
  • r3.jpg
    r3.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 125
  • r2.jpg
    r2.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 117
  • ap7.jpg
    ap7.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 163
  • ap6.jpg
    ap6.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 122
  • ap5.jpg
    ap5.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 125
  • ap4.jpg
    ap4.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 138
  • ap8.jpg
    ap8.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 141
The first lady's dress for the dinner looks great. Camilla's dress would probably look better in a different colour. Hopefully there will be better pictures.

grevinnan said:
Camilla has chosen to be called Duchess of Cornwall. To refer to her as Princess of Wales would indicate she does not have the capabilities to determine what she would like to be called. Her husband's childrens mother will for a long time be associated with the Princess of Wales title and it may have been out of concern for them that she chose to not use it.

Correct. Legally, she is HRH the Princess of Wales, but has chosen to be styled as HRH the Duchess of Cornwall instead (with the assent, of course, of the Queen) out of sensitivity to the memory of Diana.

Britain's Prince Charles and his wife Camilla Duchess of Cornwall, greet students at a SEED School in Washington November 2, 2005.
#1-9: AP
#10: Reuters

Attachments

• ap4.jpg
    ap4.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 132
  • r.jpg
    r.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 134
  • ap8.jpg
    ap8.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 126
  • ap7.jpg
    ap7.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 126
  • ap6.jpg
    ap6.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 125
  • ap5.jpg
    ap5.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 135
  • ap3.jpg
    ap3.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 110
  • ap2.jpg
    ap2.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 121
  • ap1.jpg
    ap1.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 116
  • ap.jpg
    ap.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 127
ysbel said:
If she's following them around though, she could be seen as stalking them which is increasingly considered so serious that several states have passed laws against it. She'd better be careful.

Point taken about the stalking issue.

#1: The table setting in the State Dining Room for the White House dinner in honor of the Britain's Prince Charles and his wife, Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, is shown in this handout photograph in Washington November 2, 2005. Chosen by Mrs. Laura Bush, the centerpieces are sprays of white phaeleanopsis orchids displayed in vermeil vases and compliment the Clinton China and vermeil flatware. REUTERS/Shealah Craighead/The White House #2: AFP-Britain's Prince Charles and his wife Camilla stand before a tree which they had just planted in the courtyard of the SEED Charter School in Washington, DC. The Prince of Wales and Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall are on a US tour of goodwill diplomacy and promotion of their pet social projects.(AFP/Tim Sloan)
#3: AP-First lady Laura Bush, right, applauds as Britain's Prince Charles, and his wife Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, center, are introduced during a tree planting ceremony in the SEED School of Washington, D.C. campus, Wednesday, Nov. 2, 2005. (AP Photo/Manuel Balce Ceneta)
#4: Reuters

Attachments

• r3361155587.jpg
    r3361155587.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 134
  • afp.jpg
    afp.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 112
  • ap.jpg
    ap.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 120
  • r1.jpg
    r1.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 123
zeap said:
What are the people outside protesting? It sounds like they're saying 'We want freedom'

They are protesting for Pres. Bush to help them release some people or something. I guess they figured they would get more coverage this way.

Just an update, from their chants, the protesters outside the White House are apparently Muslims from either Iraq or Afghanistan. It has nothing to do with the Prince and Princess of Wales, so that's good at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom