Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall: Visit to the US - November 1-8, 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alicky said:
Just hoping? :(

Nope, not at all. We have enough problems in the world. HRH is coming here, from what I gather, to focus on a few areas he is noted for, conservation, organic farming and so on. It is supposed to be very educational in terms of their trip and I hope things go very well.

Besides, we left the glamour back in the 80's...the era of Dynasty and Dallas and over the top glitz are over with. Which is good because if they met J.R. Ewing, I am sure he would hit on the Duchess. ;)

This is just a visit to test the waters and meant to be one of friendship and mutual interest.

Lady Marmalade said:
Nope, not at all. We have enough problems in the world. HRH is coming here, from what I gather, to focus on a few areas he is noted for, conservation, organic farming and so on. It is supposed to be very educational in terms of their trip and I hope things go very well.

Besides, we left the glamour back in the 80's...the era of Dynasty and Dallas and over the top glitz are over with. Which is good because if they met J.R. Ewing, I am sure he would hit on the Duchess. ;)

This is just a visit to test the waters and meant to be one of friendship and mutual interest.

I am glad I missed that previous conversation...I was getting boiling angry just reading it...Then your J.R comment made me laugh and took some anger out.:D

They will probably do alot of environment issues. That has always been Prince Charles safe area. It's about the only major issue he can publicaly take a side on without causing alot of trouble.

#1: Britain's Prince Charles (R) and his new bride Camilla (L) arrive in the United States on their first official trip overseas since their wedding in April(AFP/File/Barry Batchelor)

Attachments

• ap.jpg
    ap.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 279
Charles and Camilla embark on first official trip abroad since wedding

WASHINGTON, (AFP) - Britain's Prince Charles and his new bride Camilla arrive in the United States on their first official trip overseas since their wedding in April.
The eight-day visit to New York, Washington and San Francisco will include a wreath-laying ceremony at the site of the September 11, 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center, a meeting with UN Secretary General Kofi Annan, lunch and dinner at the White House and several receptions, as well as meetings with business leaders and organic farmers.

Royal watchers said the eight-day tour will mark an opportunity for the heir to the British throne to test public sentiment toward Camilla in a country where his ex-wife, the late Princess Diana, remains hugely popular.
(...)
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20051030/wl_uk_afp/usbritainroyals_051030042247;_ylt=Ar8LtAgD4.LT.Vutpibv1_EZO7gF;_ylu=X3oDMTA5bGVna3NhBHNlYwNzc3JlbA--

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/10/30/BAGCVFGBB71.DTL&feed=rss.bayarea

Prince Charles and the duchess to be in Bay Area

Britain's Prince Charles and his wife, Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, will visit a Berkeley middle school, a Point Reyes farmers' market and a Tenderloin hotel during their four-day visit to the Bay Area next month.

Charles' visit is part of an eight-day U.S. trip beginning Tuesday in New York and followed by a stop in Washington, D.C., for dinner with President Bush.
(...)http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/10/30/BAGCVFGBB71.DTL&feed=rss.bayarea

mandyy said:
#1: Britain's Prince Charles (R) and his new bride Camilla (L) arrive in the United States on their first official trip overseas since their wedding in April(AFP/File/Barry Batchelor)

I love this suit! It's so chic and the pastel colour really suits 'Milla's fair complexion. I'm so pleased that she chose to wear it again.

Hmm, they will be in New York on Tuesday to lay a wreath at the WTC site. That's probably at the commemoration platform. Its open to the weather so I don't think they'll spend a great deal of time there. They'll probably spend more time at the British Memorial Gardens. Wonder where that is?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=367004&in_page_id=1770

Camilla takes 50 dresses and 40 staff on tour

When She strides on to the world stage next week on her first state visit as the wife of the future King, the Duchess of Cornwall will naturally want to look her best.

So, in the most regal of traditions, she is taking 50 dresses and 40 staff on her eight-day tour of America, with everything, bar the outfits, paid for by the Foreign Office - which is funded by the taxpayer. When she takes her seat for dinner at the White House, the visit's most important engagement, all eyes will be on the woman who last week established her status as Queen in waiting when she stepped out in a diamond tiara personally loaned by the Queen.

In a break with protocol, Charles and Camilla have been invited to take both lunch and dinner with President Bush and his wife and Camilla knows it is her chance to wow Washington's elite. She has not yet decided which frock she will wear for the state banquet, but she has narrowed the choice down to three, and has her eye on a stunning pearl-studded, ivory evening gown from her favourite designers, Antonia Robinson and Anna Valentine, who created her wedding dress. (...)

Oh, my - apparently the Daily Mail reporter somehow can read Camilla's mind. Handy trick if you can do it.

he seems really interested in religous peace lately. I think the title Prince Charles to plead Islam's cause to Bush is completely wrong. President Bush has many times said no blame on Islam-it is extremests who do not practice the religion of Islam. Islam is of peace..everyone knows that.

I think HRH is smart enough not to go there and discuss religion with our President. I think he will do what his program says, focus on the educational and conservation issues he holds in high regard.

Well if the Birmingham News is any indicator, there's hardly an uproar at all. Birmingham is right in the middle of the Bible Belt so if you'd expect a strong negative reaction you'd expect it here.

I was suprised that the paper even carried the story. The Prince and Duchess aren't going anywhere near Alabama.

http://www.al.com/news/birminghamnews/wire.ssf?/base/news/1130491442308781.xml&coll=2

I think this visit is getting more attention than a regular royal visit but not as much (ofcourse) as when Charles and Diana came.

Just watched the interview on 60 Minutes. I think he did an excellent job of presenting himself. You can see how much his heart and passion are in conservation and the environment. I was impressed by the town of Poundbury as well.

The 60 Minutes interview was good, but I'm just glad there is something about their tour on US tv. Poundbury indeed looks lovely and I feel Prince Charles really does try to make a difference with his life. I always cringe w/these reporters though...he asked Charles about "your mother" (ahem, it's Your Majesty) and he (Steve Croft) said in the intro that you don't hear the royals speak that much (that just sounded stupid as well as being incorrect.)

Steve Croft, whom I am not very familiar with as I don't watch "60 Minutes", must have been thinking it was an informal interview. I don't think any interview with Prince Charles would be informally taken as the first interview before Charles comes here to the U.S., however the reporters in the U.S. vary in their opinions, so I am not to discount the idea that he feels that he is closer to Charles than anyone at that interview, when in fact he is fooling himself. You are correct, Lady Jean, he did not ask that question correctly, but rather, presumptively, posed the question as an interrogatory and investigative miscue. He should have corrected himself.

I liked the interview tonight. As always I find myself agreeing with the Prince on many things; the importance of ecumenicalism in world politics, bringing back the "humanity" to these times of great technological advances, and his views on architecture. I just wish this side of him was more respected in Great Britain and in the wider world. There was a good article written by him in this month's Conde Nast Traveler(British edition) about the importance of maintaining a balanced ecosystem alongside an area where tourism is an important part of the economy. He wrote mostly about area affected by the Boxing Day Tsunami. Well, I count myself as an American who will be curious and non-critical(that whole glass houses idea) about the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall coming to the US. I do, however, take great offense at the idea that simply because I live(born and raised) within 50 or even 500 miles as some idiots say, of an ocean, that I do not reflect the views of Middle American(read: a "real" America supposedly inhabitated by morally superior people). That gets my goat. Well, on a lighter note, to me and my family, Charles has always been called "Chucky" and I "chuckled" tonight when they mentioned Camilla as his bride and I immediately thought of "The Bride of Chucky". Hmm.

Last edited:
I find the cancellation of the visit of the Duke and Duchess to New Orleans unfortunate. The President has since visited the area several times and I don't think it would reflect on him poorly had they visited the area.

Prince Charles: Climate change is 'terrifying'

....The prince is a keen environmentalist, but his office declined to say whether Charles will raise the issue of climate change when he dines with President Bush at the White House this week. Clarence House, the prince's office, said it would not be appropriate to comment on a private dinner.......

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/10/30/prince.charles.interview.ap/index.html

I would like to give a big thank you, :rolleyes: to an american woman called Lisa Stewart, 35 from Louisiana, who because she has been on the tv, representing the American section of the fanatical diana circle, has raised Camilla's support here in the UK.

She said that the fact that they support a woman who has been dead for 8 years, does not make them nutters. That most have a room 'dedicated' with pictures, dolls, spoons, plates, etc of her, also does not mean they are mentally challenged. I just wonder if they are all ex wives or children of ex wives?

I hope that most Americans, will warmly welcome Prince Charles and Princess Camilla.:)

Re;

She said that the fact that they support a woman who has been dead for 8 years, does not make them nutters. That most have a room 'dedicated' with pictures, dolls, spoons, plates, etc of her, also does not mean they are mentally challenged.
Most people have a panic room. I would hope people don't have these shrines to Diana - my question would be.....why? I have a photograph of the Queen on my sitting room wall and I have had one in my bedroom since I was born. I've got a signed portrait of Princess Alexandra of Kent and recently, I popped in a photograph of Charles and Camilla in their State Banquet outfits. But I haven't filled the place with Royal bric a brac. I don't see any problems with the odd photograph or tasteful china but a room full of dedicated spoons?

Prince to visit US hurricane city

Dennism, they are going to New Orleans:) :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4393636.stm

Dennism said:
I find the cancellation of the visit of the Duke and Duchess to New Orleans unfortunate. The President has since visited the area several times and I don't think it would reflect on him poorly had they visited the area.

Dennism said:
Well, on a lighter note, to me and my family, Charles has always been called "Chucky" and I "chuckled" tonight when they mentioned Camilla as his bride and I immediately thought of "The Bride of Chucky". Hmm.

That's funny Dennism. :D

I'm glad they're going to New Orleans. It makes the trip more relevant.

susan alicia said:
Dennism, they are going to New Orleans:) :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4393636.stm

O, there´s an article. I just saw that in the ticker at the top of the main news page and it didn't go anywhere. Yes, O, well. Okay. Then that's good. More relevant too. I like it. Bravo to them. Besides, they are supposed to be beyond politics. And the idea that visiting NO would make Bush look bad is purely a political idea.

of course :)

Dennism said:
O, there´s an article. I just saw that in the ticker at the top of the main news page and it didn't go anywhere. Yes, O, well. Okay. Then that's good. More relevant too. I like it. Bravo to them. Besides, they are supposed to be beyond politics. And the idea that visiting NO would make Bush look bad is purely a political idea.

I noticed that Clarence House saw fit to rebut the outlandish statement that Camilla would be taking a 40 person entourage with her. Now the papers are claiming its 20 when its actually 16.

I thught that account of 40 people looked a bit bogus. She'd be guided on this first tour by what the royal family usually does, and the royal family usually doesn't take that many people along. Is this a symptom of the Mail's continuing partisanship of Diana, trying to cause problems for Camilla, perhaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom