Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall: Visit to the US - November 1-8, 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandDuchess

Heir Apparent
City
Somwhere
Country
Sweden
Here is a thread were we can post information, articles and pictures from the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall's visit to the US that will take place very soon.

Please remember to observe and follow the TRF Posting Rules & Guidelines.

Last edited:
but Bush will be here in argentina in november5 for the cumbre de las americas.

as far as i've heard, bush will only be playing host to C and C on November 2. first for a lunch in the afternoon and then for a large formal dinner in the evening.

here's a brief interchange from an online chat with one of dc's gossip columnists.

---
Arlington, Va.: What's the buzz on the visits of Charles and Camilla? What will they be doing in D.C.? Who's going to the White House dinner?
reliable source: The details are very hush-hush. What we know so far: The Newlyweds will go to New York first, where they'll visit Ground Zero. Charles was scheduled to make a trip in 2001 that was cancelled, and this is meant to honor the many British citizens who died at the World Trade Center. On Wednesday, Nov. 2 they'll be in Washington, where they'll have lunch at the White House, as well as a fancy state dinner that night. No leaks on who's invited, but we assume the competition is fierce.

They're staying at the embassy with Ambassador David Manning and his wife, Catherine, and there will probably also be a dinner there the following hosted by the prince. There are hints of visits to educational type venues, but nothing definite. We'll share as soon as we know more.
---

and so will I;)

Last edited:
here's the list of engagements

diary-header.gif
blank.gif
greendot.gif
blank.gif
reddot.gif
blank.gif
http://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/diary.html

Wednesday, 26th October
  • The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will give a reception for Americans living in the United Kingdom representing the Arts, Culture, Business, the Media and Public Service, in advance of Their Royal Highness’s official visit to the United States, Clarence House, London.
Tuesday, 1st November
  • The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will visit the World Trade Centre site, New York.
  • The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will dedicate a centre stone for the British Memorial Garden, New York
  • The Prince of Wales will meet Kofi Annan, UN Secretary General at an event on Youth Enterprise hosted by the UK Mission to the UN and the United Nations Development Programme, The United Nations, New York.
  • The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will attend a Reception hosted by the British Consul General at the Museum of Modern Art, New York.
Wednesday, 2nd November
  • The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will attend a lunch given by President and Mrs Bush at the White House, Washington DC.
  • The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall, accompanied by Mrs Bush, will plant a tree to commemorate their visit to the School for Educational Evolution and Development, Washington DC.
  • The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will attend a dinner given by President and Mrs Bush at the White House, Washington DC.
Thursday, 3rd November
  • The Duchess of Cornwall, accompanied by The Prince of Wales, will attend a seminar on tackling osteoporosis, The National Institutes for Health, Washington DC.
  • The Prince of Wales, accompanied by The Duchess of Cornwall, will give a speech when he receives the Vincent Scully Prize and view exhibitions of The Prince’s Foundation for the Built Environment and The Prince’s School of Traditional Arts, National Buildings Museum, Washington DC.
  • The Prince of Wales will attend a Seminar on “Faith and Social Responsibility”, Georgetown University, Washington DC.
  • The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will attend a Reception hosted by Her Majesty’s Ambassador to the United States of America, Washington DC.
Friday, 4th November
  • The Prince of Wales, accompanied by The Duchess of Cornwall, will lay a wreath to commemorate the 60th Anniversary of the end of the Second World War at a new Second World War Memorial, Washington DC.
  • The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will meet children participating in a workshop at the Folger Shakespeare Library, Washington DC.
Saturday, 5th November
  • The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will visit the Point Reyes Farmers’ Market, Point Reyes Station, Marin County.
  • The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will attend a lunch with representatives of the local farming community at an organic farm, Marin County.
Sunday, 6th November
  • The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall attend a performance of “Beach Blanket Babylon”, Club Fugazi, San Francisco.
Monday, 7th November
  • The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will meet children growing and cooking food at the “Edible School Yard”, Martin Luther King Jr. Middle School, Berkeley.
  • The Prince of Wales, accompanied by The Duchess of Cornwall, will give a speech at a Seminar on Environmental issues, The Ferry Building, San Francisco.
  • The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will attend a dinner hosted by the Mayor of San Francisco and the British Consul General with members of the business community, de Young Museum, San Francisco.
Tuesday, 8th November
  • The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will meet people being helped by a project to tackle homelessness, Empress Hotel, San Francisco.
http://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/diary.html

Last edited:
from The Washington Post

Prince Charles to Accept Scully Prize at Building Museum

Wednesday, October 26, 2005; Page C10
Prince Charles will accept the prestigious Vincent Scully Prize at the National Building Museum while making an official visit to Washington with his wife, Camilla, next week.
In announcing the award yesterday, the museum sought to recognize the prince's long-standing interest in architecture and urban planning.

Prince Charles will be honored for his efforts toward historical preservation and urban planning. (Matt Dunham - AP)

Last edited by a moderator:
I Wish them all the best as they visit my country . Hope everyone will be nice and Friendly to them

Well, if the supermarket tabloids are any indication, all will be well. Some of the headlines I saw the other night were all about Camilla's new style and were very pro-Charles and Camilla as a couple.
Royal Fan said:
I Wish them all the best as they visit my country . Hope everyone will be nice and Friendly to them

Sunday night on 60 Minutes is the big night we Americans on here have been waiting for!! The first American interview with Prince Charles in so many years.

upcoming Canadian visit?

I just heard this on the news.
Prince Charles and the Duchess Cornwall really wanted their first overseas visit to be to a commonwealth nation and felt that Canada would've been a perfect choice. But because the visit would've fallen in November, the Canadian government felt that the timing might've been all wrong, politically, and so nixed the idea.
Instead Charles and Camilla are confining themselves to the US.
Now all of this info. comes from sources at the palace via the CBC's London bureau chief.
So while there are no official dates yet, a visit to Canada will happen soon. Most likely after we've had an election which will be sometime next year (unless something happens this fall)

Last edited:
~*~Humera~*~ said:
I just heard this on the news.
Prince Charles and the Duchess Cornwall really wanted their first overseas visit to be to a commonwealth nation and felt that Canada would've been a perfect choice. But because the visit would've fallen in November, the Canadian government felt that the timing might've been all wrong, politically, and so nixed the idea.
Instead Charles and Camilla are confining themselves to the US.
Now all of this info. comes from sources at the palace via the CBC's London bureau chief.
So while there are no official dates yet, a visit to Canada will happen soon. Most likely after we've had an election which will be sometime next year (unless something happens this fall)

I don't believe a word of it! What is "confining" supposed to mean anyway! Their first overseas trip would make a bigger impact by visiting the US and WTC site, than visiting Canada.

please don't take offense by the "than visiting Canada" part..I didn't mean it like that..

Harry's polo shirt said:
I don't believe a word of it! What is "confining" supposed to mean anyway! Their first overseas trip would make a bigger impact by visiting the US and WTC site, than visiting Canada.

perhaps you misunderstood what I said. Canada is a commonwealth country. Thats the significance. They wanted their first visit to be to a commonwealth nation. This isnt supposed to take anything away from their US visit. I hope it didnt come across that way. But the political climate here is unstable which is why such a visit couldnt happen right now. When the Queen was here a few months ago, there were similar fears and some people thought she wouldn't come. The royal family doesnt like to involve itself in politics. That visit, however, was a major one and couldn't be cancelled over such short notice. This time though the Canadian government seems to have given the palace a heads up.
This isn't gossip Im repeating its from an official source. I doubt the CBC would report it especially if it wasnt true. It would be like the BBC in the UK reporting gossip.

~*~Humera~*~ said:
perhaps you misunderstood what I said. Canada is a commonwealth country. Thats the significance. They wanted their first visit to be to a commonwealth nation. This isnt supposed to take anything away from their US visit. I hope it didnt come across that way. But the political climate here is unstable which is why such a visit couldnt happen right now. When the Queen was here a few months ago, there were similar fears and some people thought she wouldn't come. The royal family doesnt like to involve itself in politics. That visit, however, was a major one and couldn't be cancelled over such short notice. This time though the Canadian government seems to have given the palace a heads up.

oh...sorry I misunderstood..I was thrown by it sounding like the US trip was a "oh well, we have to visit somewere" decision..

thats okay. And I didnt mean for it to sound that way. I think this just means they're only visiting the US instead of visting Canada and then the US.

Hi Humera,

You mentioned before that it could be they would want to wait to visit until the elections are over in your country?

I could see that as the Queen almost ran into a politically sensitive moment when she was in your country earlier this year. There was thought an election might have to have been called while she was there.

Is that true?

Nicole

Last edited:
Lady Marmalade said:
Hi Humera,
You mentioned before that it could be they would want to wait to visit until the elections are over in your beautiful country?
I could see that as the Queen almost ran into a politically sensitive moment when she was in your great country earlier this year. There was thought an election might have to have been called while she was there.
Is that true?
Nicole
Hi Nicole,
yes you're right. At first I thought Charles and Camilla could come to Canada in November because we'll probably have an election next year, not next month.
But then I saw the news again and its because the plans for this visit were discussed a few months ago, at that point the Canadian government felt that we might be into an election campaign by Fall 2005, so thats why they told the palace to not schedule the visit for November. Now we know that there wont be an election next month. But no one was sure about that a few months ago when the visit was being planned.

The Queen's visit faced similar uncertainty earlier this year. Her visit was around 10 days long and during that time there were fears that Canada's minority government would be defeated and an election would have to be called. (There was a similar situation decades ago and at that time the royal visit was cancelled)
But the Queen was supposed to attend centennial celebrations for 2 of our provinces and a lot of planning had gone into all the festivities. Fortunately she came anyway after consulting our PM and there was no election.

I guess the Canadian government wanted to avoid a repeat of the political uncertainty surrounding another royal visit and felt it would be safer if Charles and Camilla postpone their trip until after the election.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw this on the Prince of Wales website. There was a pre-tour reception at Clarence House. Looks like the Prince and Duchess were busy, same day had visits from the Norwegian prince and princess.
http://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/gallery-year/2005/051026_us_reception.html

Of course, here is another take on the reception from Mirror:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_objectid=16299015%26method=full%26siteid=94762%26headline=camilla%2dwoos%2dus%2dmedia%2delite%2d-name_page.html

from Reuters:
http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsarticle.aspx?type=topNews&storyid=2005-10-27T043701Z_01_KNE637653_RTRUKOC_0_UK-BRITAIN-CAMILLA.xml

The press I believe is the only one doing any comparing of camilla and Diana. I hope they enjoy their visit. I think people will want to meet camilla she is a royal and those that are into the royal family will enjoy the visit.

seto said:
The press I believe is the only one doing any comparing of camilla and Diana. I hope they enjoy their visit. I think people will want to meet camilla she is a royal and those that are into the royal family will enjoy the visit.

Not all Royal watchers will be running to see them. They will be only 35 miles from where I live and I most certainly am not going.

tiaraprin said:
Not all Royal watchers will be running to see them. They will be only 35 miles from where I live and I most certainly am not going.

Indeed, that seems to be a general view taken. I am posting a link to yesterday's Guardian...just copy and paste in your address box, it should work.

chttp://www.guardian.co.uk/monarchy/story/0,2763,1601322,00.html

The general feeling towards bringing the other woman, or other man, whom you married to dinner, is still not as socially acceptable in our society...no matter how much good she has done or happy they are. We are still quite prudish in this country in that respect.

Lady Marmalade said:
The general feeling towards bringing the other woman, or other man, whom you married to dinner, is still not as socially acceptable in our society...no matter how much good she has done or happy they are. We are still quite prudish in this country in that respect.

I would have to respectfully disagree, Lady Marmalade. While at family gatherings, Americans would be show some distaste and distance; for purely political or social gatherings, the other woman who married the man is not necessarily shunned in this country.

When Donald Trump ran off with Marla Maples, it was scandalous at first but they were received well pretty much anywhere they went afterwards. The only cases I know of where a married partner was shunned by society was during the breakup of Loni Anderson and Burt Reynolds and then the breakup between Mia Farrow and Woody Allen. But these men allegedly did a lost worse than the charges levied against Charles and Camilla. Burt was rumoured to have been physically violent with Loni and Woody ran off with his 17 year old foster daughter.

These are entirely more serious circumstances.

ysbel said:
I would have to respectfully disagree, Lady Marmalade. While at family gatherings, Americans would be show some distaste and distance; for purely political or social gatherings, the other woman who married the man is not necessarily shunned in this country.

When Donald Trump ran off with Marla Maples, it was scandalous at first but they were received well pretty much anywhere they went afterwards. The only cases I know of where a married partner was shunned by society was during the breakup of Loni Anderson and Burt Reynolds and then the breakup between Mia Farrow and Woody Allen. But these men allegedly did a lost worse than the charges levied against Charles and Camilla. Burt was rumoured to have been physically violent with Loni and Woody ran off with his 17 year old foster daughter.

These are entirely more serious circumstances.

In america your first wife was your first and the next is accepted it is your choice to remarry. Of course in some cirles friends take sides but for the most part it really isn't a big deal.

I think people will be respectful (hopefully) to Camilla, but she is still "the other women" in many eyes. It doesn't matter if they are married, there love story doesn't sound romantic to many americans, like it does in other countries.

I think that political gatherings are more accepting to "other women", than family gatherings....look at Bill Clinton. Although Monica has been beaten down by the media.

When Monica did the interview with Barbara Walters, Barbara said that after the interview she got more comments from views who were asking what Monica's lip gloss was!!:eek: :confused: :eek: You can interpret (sp?) that yourself, but I think many american's forgive rather quickly or just don't care.

Re:

If people are shallow enough to create trouble over private matter that has nothing to do with them then their lives but be extremely empty - and to protest about such a trivial matter is ridiculous. We all have an opinion but creating a scene based on the fact that someone you don't know personally had an affair and got remarried is foolish on the part of those who do the shouting. Especially in America where the divorce rate is very high.

BeatrixFan said:
If people are shallow enough to create trouble over private matter that has nothing to do with them then their lives but be extremely empty - and to protest about such a trivial matter is ridiculous. We all have an opinion but creating a scene based on the fact that someone you don't know personally had an affair and got remarried is foolish on the part of those who do the shouting. Especially in America where the divorce rate is very high.

Unfortunately, it is not a private matter, it is a matter that has rocked the British Monarchy and hence the people under Her Majesty's sovereignty and the Commonwealth. It is not a trivial matter in terms of the Monarchy. While the Monarchy must grow and adapt to its time, There were still certain ideas and traditions that had yet to be changed until the unfortunate collapse of the Wales' marriage. When Charles and Diana married, it was supposed to be forever no matter if they were miserable. All the circumstances of that marriage's collapse were extreme, brutal, and cruel to all involved. Charles & Camilla have gotten their cake and they are eating it while Diana never had the chance to live her life. William and Harry were motherless at young ages. Complaints are made that William is not a suitable heir, and Harry has done drugs and parties a great deal. Perhaps without the guidance of a loving mother and the absence of a father who is off on the royal rounds may account for these "lacks" in William's and Harry's characters. It surely affected Charles. His relationship with his parents (especially his father) are not good, he married Diana under duress and that was an unmitigated disaster. He couldn't find a wife he could tolerate until his first one died tragically and his mistress divorced her first husband. It is a disgrace.

While the divorce rate is high in my country, there are some of us who do take marriage seriously. While I am not a staunch anti-divorce person, I still think one must make every possible effort to save a marriage until there is no option left but divorce.

Re:

I don't see that it did rock the British Monarch but if it did then it rocked the BRITISH monarch - not the American. Charles and Camilla certainly do not need the approval of the yanks - they have the British seal of approval from everyone who matters and that is all that matters.

Divorce isn't a huge issue. Anne, Andrew, Charles, Henry VIII - they've all divorced and the Monarchy's still here isn't it? And to suggest that Charles should have stayed manicled to Diana even though he was unhappy is as impractical as it is cruel.

Diana did have a chance to live her life but is this the topic for a Diana/Charles/Camilla argument? I'll gladly enter into one through PM providing it doesn't get personal.

I don't think it's really a disgrace at all. It sounds to be a bit of an over-reaction. Let's get this into perspective. They married. They divorced. She died. He remarried. It happens every day.

BeatrixFan said:
I don't see that it did rock the British Monarch but if it did then it rocked the BRITISH monarch - not the American. Charles and Camilla certainly do not need the approval of the yanks - they have the British seal of approval from everyone who matters and that is all that matters.

Divorce isn't a huge issue. Anne, Andrew, Charles, Henry VIII - they've all divorced and the Monarchy's still here isn't it? And to suggest that Charles should have stayed manicled to Diana even though he was unhappy is as impractical as it is cruel.

Diana did have a chance to live her life but is this the topic for a Diana/Charles/Camilla argument? I'll gladly enter into one through PM providing it doesn't get personal.

I don't think it's really a disgrace at all. It sounds to be a bit of an over-reaction. Let's get this into perspective. They married. They divorced. She died. He remarried. It happens every day.

If Princess Margaret hadn't divorced in 1978, we would not have seen the divorces Her Majesty's children today.

It wasn't as trivial as you believe when Anne and Andrew divorced. The foundations of the Monarchy were shaking in 1991-1992. Anne and her husband were both having affairs. Andrew couldn't stop the courtiers from constantly bashing Sarah until she completely lost it. Charles and Diana were beyond hope. Then Sarah became the scapegoat for all of the monarchy's difficulties instead of equalizing the blame on to all who were responsible. While Sarah did wrong, she was not the only one. The courtiers should also take their fair share of the blame in playing God amongst the royals deciding who they like and don't like.

Constantly the fact that I am a "Yank" and not a "Brit" is bandied about. I may not be British, but I can see what is going on. Also contrary to what is being reported here, not all Brits accept Charles and Camilla. Most actually are apathetic which is even worse than hatred. If the British become apathetic to its monarchy, then it will not survive.

Last edited:
Re:

So? 1 in 3 marriages now breaks down. The Queen had four children and 3 ended in divorce. It's no big issue it really isn't. They got divorced and 2 of them got remarried to the people they were having affairs with. Is that so wrong? It's the people who have this fairytale expectation of Royalty that consider it to be the fall of the House of Windsor. Those who live in the real world see it slightly different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom