Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall: Visit to the US - November 1-8, 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BeatrixFan said:
So? 1 in 3 marriages now breaks down. The Queen had four children and 3 ended in divorce. It's no big issue it really isn't. They got divorced and 2 of them got remarried to the people they were having affairs with. Is that so wrong? It's the people who have this fairytale expectation of Royalty that consider it to be the fall of the House of Windsor. Those who live in the real world see it slightly different.

It still does not make it right and that is the fact that gets lost here. As we say here in my country, "Two wrongs don't make a right."

Re:

It still does not make it right and that is the fact that gets lost here. As we say here in my country, "Two wrongs don't make a right."
We have that saying here but we tend to go on personal feelings rather than old wives sayings. This has become way off topic so we better get back to Charles and Camilla's visit which I'm sure (providing the nut-brigade stay at home) will go extremely well.

I think it remains to be seen how they're received here; speculation won't really matter in the face of facts. These days the USA is in one of its more religion-minded phases, although the religion-based morality that gets so hot under the collar about homosexuality and abortion tends to be somewhat more relaxed about divorce, so we'll just have to see what the reaction is like.

Elspeth said:
I think it remains to be seen how they're received here; speculation won't really matter in the face of facts. These days the USA is in one of its more religion-minded phases, although the religion-based morality that gets so hot under the collar about homosexuality and abortion tends to be somewhat more relaxed about divorce, so we'll just have to see what the reaction is like.

I agree with you Elspeth. I don't think there will be any demonstrations against the royal visit. There won't be the same hysteria as when Diana visited. I think it will be just a normal state visit that will get it's 30 second new blurb and that's it.

Thanks Elspeth for keeping the discussion on topic.

Since we were discussing general American attitudes toward the other woman who marries the husband, I still maintain that most Americans don't care in general and I believe this opinion is justified if you look at the reactions to other high profile marriages where the guy left the wife and married the mistress.

There's not a lot of moral indignation at these other marriages which speaks volumes on what Americans really think of the matter.

Elspeth said:
although the religion-based morality that gets so hot under the collar about homosexuality and abortion tends to be somewhat more relaxed about divorce, so we'll just have to see what the reaction is like.

I agree, Elspeth. The reaction has been interesting so far. The attitude seems to be that people want to get a look at his new wife and see for themselves. There's quite a bit of curiosity; I think the real reaction will come as a result of how Charles and Camilla conduct themselves on the tour but that we won't know until they get here.

ysbel said:
I agree, Elspeth. The reaction has been interesting so far. The attitude seems to be that people want to get a look at his new wife and see for themselves. There's quite a bit of curiosity; I think the real reaction will come as a result of how Charles and Camilla conduct themselves on the tour but that we won't know until they get here.

I agree it is nobodys business but the partys involved it is a private matter.

ysbel said:
I would have to respectfully disagree, Lady Marmalade. While at family gatherings, Americans would be show some distaste and distance; for purely political or social gatherings, the other woman who married the man is not necessarily shunned in this country.

When Donald Trump ran off with Marla Maples, it was scandalous at first but they were received well pretty much anywhere they went afterwards. The only cases I know of where a married partner was shunned by society was during the breakup of Loni Anderson and Burt Reynolds and then the breakup between Mia Farrow and Woody Allen. But these men allegedly did a lost worse than the charges levied against Charles and Camilla. Burt was rumoured to have been physically violent with Loni and Woody ran off with his 17 year old foster daughter.

These are entirely more serious circumstances.

And of course I am happy you have an opposing viewpoint, as I respect your opinions as well, ysbel. :)

But, it is still not viewed as being 100% respectable in this case.

There is a vast difference between...celebrities, such as the ones you mentioned...of whom I have high disdain for, and the future sovereign and head of a monarchy and religion.

I am happy he is happy. But, I still see it as socially...how can I phrase it..distasteful.

Oh well, I do hope things go smoothly for them when they are here and our journalists, if given the chance of asking questions, have done their homework properly.

Last edited:
From what I have read in past postings on hear today...then why even have these forums? Obviously people do care.

And while yes divorce rates are high, IN GREAT BRITAIN TOO, BEATRIXFAN, we are not as forgiving in this country....we do however let things evaporate and become part of the past...but the stench is still there to smell as the damage has been done.

It does not make sense for any of us to post then if people do not care...as that is what I am reading...

With that said....we shall see how everything plays out next week...

If what happened ever happened to my parents and myself in exactly the same way....my father would be cut off and never spoken to again..I don't care how happy he would have been, there would be nothing left for him in my life.

Lady Marmalade said:
I am happy he is happy. But, I still see it as socially...how can I phrase it..distasteful.

Amazing how far we have come when it becomes so common and acceptable...makes one wonder about morals, folkways, etc....
It was the same social rules, taboos and constraints that kept him from his true happiness in the first place to me. I don't feel that he should have to yield to other people's ideals of propriety, especially when those people are complete strangers to him and the entire situation. How can I judge him morally if I don't know what even happened?

Lady Marmalade said:
we are not as forgiving in this country....
That's a big generalization, but even if it wasn't, well then that's our problem not his.

Lady Marmalade said:
With that said....we shall see how everything plays out next week....
I don't understand why you are predicting doom. What is the worst that could happen anyway? War of the Waleses-related I mean, which I assume is what you mean.

The Bushes and Walses dont get along to well. They dont have the same views. I think Camilla is a wonderfull lady. Everybody wants happiness, even you all. But for them it is much harder to get.

Maybe I missed something, but can you tell me why the Bushes aren't very fond of Camilla?:confused: ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Its not Camilla specifically but the Wales couple as a whole. Heck, most of the windsors. Charles and George are on completely different sides of the scale when it comes to there views. They dont get along. The bushes have no reason to hate camilla though. They have never met her or know her.

i cant wait see Prince Charles he really my admire since i met him at Prince's trust and i cant wait see Camilla's new outfits also.

Sara Boyce

Princejonnhy25 said:
Its not Camilla specifically but the Wales couple as a whole. Heck, most of the windsors. Charles and George are on completely different sides of the scale when it comes to there views. They dont get along. The bushes have no reason to hate camilla though. They have never met her or know her.

I don't think the Bush's hate Camilla, they just don't agree with their views.

I think Lady Marmalades worries are about how the american public will respond to their visit. Things are not very steady in here in the US, hopefully there aren't many protests...I remember when the announcement about Charles and Camilla's engagement, the Brits seemed excited about it and talked about their "love story"---in the US we all looked at each other like WHAT!!

Lady Marmalade said:
From what I have read in past postings on hear today...then why even have these forums? Obviously people do care.

And while yes divorce rates are high, IN GREAT BRITAIN TOO, BEATRIXFAN, we are not as forgiving in this country....we do however let things evaporate and become part of the past...but the stench is still there to smell as the damage has been done.

It does not make sense for any of us to post then if people do not care...as that is what I am reading...

With that said....we shall see how everything plays out next week...

If what happened ever happened to my parents and myself in exactly the same way....my father would be cut off and never spoken to again..I don't care how happy he would have been, there would be nothing left for him in my life.

Exactly Lady Marmalade. However, we are in the minority. We are too "old fashioned" on this issue.

Harry's polo shirt said:
Things are not very steady in here in the US, hopefully there aren't many protests...I remember when the announcement about Charles and Camilla's engagement, the Brits seemed excited about it and talked about their "love story"---in the US we all looked at each other like WHAT!!
I haven't noticed this unsteadiness over C&C here. I honestly haven't noticed anyone noticing in general either lol. What I have noticed here is that the coverage of them in the last couple years has been very welcoming, accepting and open-minded. I wouldn't say that "we all" in the US were shocked in horror, no one I knew was.

Harry's polo shirt said:
I don't think the Bush's hate Camilla, they just don't agree with their views.
So long as there's no public debates things should run pretty smoothly. ;)

Lady Marmalade said:
And of course I am you have an opposing viewpoint, as I respect your opinions as well, ysbel. :)

But, it is still not viewed as being 100% respectable in this case.

There is a vast difference between...celebrities, such as the ones you mentioned...of whom I have high disdain for, and the future sovereign and head of a monarchy and religion.

Thanks Lady Marmalade. I've often admired your reasoned and well thought out posts.

Of course, I was not trying to speak for yourself or tiaraprin and I definitely was not saying that 100% of Americans would find it acceptable. I was simply referring to the majority views. In a nation where Joey Buttofuoco can get a talk show because there's enough people who want to hear what he has to say, I'd say attitudes towards affairs are pretty relaxed. I was shocked by that as I was disgusted by the Woody Allen affair so I'm used to being in the minority opinion over here. It was quite surprising to find myself in the majority concerning Charles and Camilla.

You make a good point about the difference between a sovereign and a celebrity. I think if the United States had had a monarchy and a Royal Family, general attitudes probably would be different. We'd be wondering whether the morales of the British royals would surface over here. But we don't have a royal family so the foreign royals are for most Americans indistinguishable from other celebrities.

Last edited:
Well, "Middle America" is one thing, but I would expect the Royal Couple to receive a warm welcome in San Francisco!

The United States covers a huge land mass with a very large population; there are going to be different attitudes to what some members see as "moral issues" in different parts of the nation. For some, the "moral" arguments surrounding the Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall are all-consuming; for other Americans it would be a non-issue. And no doubt this applies in every other country where people have an opinion and are allowed to express it.

That being said, it has always grated on many of us whenever anyone tries to export "Middle America" morals and values to other parts of the world where they may not be so welcome. We can deal with the export of American popular culture, economic theory, wealth, ideal of democracy, and to a lesser degree power, but we baulk at the attempted imposition of "American morals" on our own institutions and public figures.

{response to off-topic post deleted - Elspeth}

Personally, I don't think this visit will register much on the radar of the average American, so I don't think it is worth getting too upset about. I could be wrong, but I don't think there is a huge American interest in C&C. Besides, the Americans have other more important things on their minds right now (hurricanes, wars). This will just be another average royal visit, nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes but this might be a small chance to escape all the troulbe. Do you think Charles and Camilla will pay thier respects to Rosa Parks. I know she lies in state at the Rotunda until Monday morining I think. So I guess they might have time. Then she travels to the Charles Wright Museum in Detroit where she will lie in state for 3 days. I live in detroit and it was a really sad day when she died. I am making plans to pay my respects and maybe watch the funeral courtage.

Princejonnhy25 said:
Yes but this might be a small chance to escape all the troulbe. Do you think Charles and Camilla will pay thier respects to Rosa Parks. I know she lies in state at the Rotunda until Monday morining I think. So I guess they might have time. Then she travels to the Charles Wright Museum in Detroit where she will lie in state for 3 days. I live in detroit and it was a really sad day when she died. I am making plans to pay my respects and maybe watch the funeral courtage.

I don't know anything about C&C's schedule in the USA, so I can't say if they will pay tribute to Ms. Parks in any way. However, even knowing what little I do about this amazing woman, I think it would mean as much, maybe even more to her to have the common man (such as yourself) pay their respects to her. Yes, I agree it was a sad day when she died - I guess I was kind of hoping she would be with us forever. She was a dignified, courageous woman who will have her own chapter in American history.

Alicky said:
That's a big generalization, but even if it wasn't, well then that's our problem not his.

I don't understand why you are predicting doom. What is the worst that could happen anyway? War of the Waleses-related I mean, which I assume is what you mean.

I am not predicting doom..please...

I am just curious like a lot of people to see how everything goes, that's all. ;)

ysbel said:
Thanks Lady Marmalade. I've often admired your reasoned and well thought out posts.

Of course, I was not trying to speak for yourself or tiaraprin and I definitely was not saying that 100% of Americans would find it acceptable. I was simply referring to the majority views. In a nation where Joey Buttofuoco can get a talk show because there's enough people who want to hear what he has to say, I'd say attitudes towards affairs are pretty relaxed. I was shocked by that as I was disgusted by the Woody Allen affair so I'm used to being in the minority opinion over here. It was quite surprising to find myself in the majority concerning Charles and Camilla.

You make a good point about the difference between a sovereign and a celebrity. I think if the United States had had a monarchy and a Royal Family, general attitudes probably would be different. We'd be wondering whether the morales of the British royals would surface over here. But we don't have a royal family so the foreign royals are for most Americans indistinguishable from other celebrities.

Hi ysbel,

Thank you for making me smile today. I like reading your posts as you do balance mine very well.

I would like to make something clear though. While I may not like what happened or truly understand it, I am happy he is happy. It does look like a calm steady movement is setting in on their part to keep the House of Windsor moving forward.

I do agree with many others, I wish he had the chance to marry Camilla 35 years ago, none of these tragedies, ON ALL SIDES, would have happened and he would have been happy from the start.

So, I am caught in the middle with my thoughts....I know.....;)

Squidgy said:
This will just be another average royal visit, nothing more, nothing less.
I agree, and I don't feel that it's been built up into anything more. Who is building it up into this "extraordinary public relations campaign?" I haven't noticed C&C doing this, only C&C detractors.

Probably not even hoping. This seems to be an unprofitable direction for this thread to be going.

Lady Marmalade said:
I am one of those "Middle Americans"
By the way...we are not Middle America...incorrect term for us. :)

As an american I too the term middle America silly. Even when we Silly Americans use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom