Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall: Visit to the US - November 1-8, 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This was definitely a great state dinner. The tables and the Clinton china looked lovely. This is only the fifth or sixth (can't remember which one) state dinner that this administration has had...and you can tell everyone was very excited and put a lot of effort in it.

Again..I am going to say...I am not a fan of the Duchess's color. In the past she has worn great evening gowns..her daytime wear (particulary yesterday's suit) has been great but she hasn't impressed me too much with her evening wear.

ysbel said:
I just noticed that Camilla didn't wear a tiara. I wonder why not? They've been worn in the White House before.

This was not a state visit, only an official one. I believe state visit may require the tiara as she did when the Royals of Norway visited England last week.

I assume the dinner is being held in the State Dining Room and not the East Room...

#1,4,6: AP
#2-3,5: Reuters

Attachments

• ap.jpg
    ap.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 497
  • r2.jpg
    r2.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 376
  • r3.jpg
    r3.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 436
  • r.jpg
    r.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 440
  • ap.jpg
    ap.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 500
  • ap1.jpg
    ap1.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 466
Last edited:
Lady Marmalade said:
This was not a state visit, only an official one. I believe state visit may require the tiara as she did when the Royals of Norway visited England last week.

Ah thanks yes I noticed this wasn't a state dinner. Only if its a visiting monarch.

The Bushes haven't had many public dinners at the White House, that's true.

Zonk1189 said:
This was definitely a great state dinner. The tables and the Clinton china looked lovely. This is only the fifth or sixth (can't remember which one) state dinner that this administration has had...and you can tell everyone was very excited and put a lot of effort in it.

Again..I am going to say...I am not a fan of the Duchess's color. In the past she has worn great evening gowns..her daytime wear (particulary yesterday's suit) has been great but she hasn't impressed me too much with her evening wear.

Yes, the President does not like to stay up late or to to enterain to formally. His parents, the Clintons, and the Reagans all had many more state dinners in the their first terms alone....well Bush 41, only the one term.

The First Lady will have worked very closely with the White House Social Secretary, the U.S. Chief of Protocol, on loan from the State Department, and others to ensure greetings and seatings were done so as not to offend anyone.

For the other Americans on here, C-Span - the House one not the Senate one, will have continuous live coverage on it until they depart for where they are staying.

about the tiara, diana in 1984 used a tiara un usa. was a state visit o a official visit?

corazon said:
about the tiara, diana in 1984 used a tiara un usa. was a state visit o a official visit?
I think the dinner that Diana wore a tiara to was a dinner at the British Embassy. She didn't wear a tiara to the dinner at the White House.

oh thanks, you're right, thank you for your answer!

I love the intimate table set-ups of about 8 or 10 at a table. Very cozy and not overwhelming.

I will say this, when the White House wants to entertain...it leaves nothing out and does it exceedingly well.

I am proud of the elegant and classy way this has been done. For those of you who have never seen a formal dinner at the White House, I hope you are enjoying it as much as I am. :)

Well, as much as it pains me to say so (not being a fan of the Bushes), the First Lady looked divine and it appears they threw a lovely fete. Have to agree that the Duchess, while looking perfectly nice, was maybe a bit more understated than I would like to have seen.

foxy_digitalis said:
Well, as much as it pains me to say so (not being a fan of the Bushes), the First Lady looked divine and it appears they threw a lovely fete. Have to agree that the Duchess, while looking perfectly nice, was maybe a bit more understated than I would like to have seen.

I thank you for posting that so eloquently. :)

I am happy to see how civil everyone..including me :D ..has been on here the past 24 hours.

Lady Marmalade said:

I am happy to see how civil everyone..including me :D ..has been on here the past 24 hours.

Yes, aren't we all being good?;)

I've done some deleting of responses to Tiaraprin's posts about Diana which were very considerately deleted by Tiaraprin so as not to derail the thread. It didn't seem sensible to leave the responses when the original posts were gone, so don't be surprised to read back and not see posts that were there earlier.

LOL!!! I took a crash course in charm school this morning as a reminder. ;)

My mind is on that menu right now. I think if I were there they would have to roll me out the door after eating all that food.

Those centerpieces are just beautiful.

Lady Marmalade said:
LOL!!! I took a crash course in charm school this morning as a reminder. ;)

My mind is on that menu right now. I think if I were there they would have to roll me out the door after eating all that food.

Those centerpieces are just beautiful.

See, maybe this is why Camilla had on that jacket - so we couldn't see that her waistband was elasticated so she could do full justice to that menu!

That could very well be. I am a fan of any lady of a certain age in general who uses the jacket over the dress like that, bolero style. I think it is very appropriate.

You saw many of those at Edward and Sophie's wedding as they requested long gowns and the ladies had to cover their shoulders in church.

Lady Marmalade said:

I think I need tutoring Lady Marmalade from our Charm School course??? I am struggling with the material. . . . ;) :p

tiaraprin said:
I think I need tutoring Lady Marmalade from our Charm School course??? I am struggling with the material. . . . ;) :p

No darlin'...you are just fine the way you are! ;)

Laura Bush looked just stunning in her dress. She really is a lovely lady in her pictures, and from what I hear in real life.

Lady Marmalade said:
That could very well be. I am a fan of any lady of a certain age in general who uses the jacket over the dress like that, bolero style. I think it is very appropriate.

I agree! I really like bolero style jackets over dress as well. I think Camilla looks better in lighter colors than the more harsh dark ones. I love Laura Bush's outfit. Beautiful and appropriate, in my opinion.

Are there any pictures of the Bush twins, Jenna and Barbara, and what they wore? I could not find any.

Elspeth said:
Yes, aren't we all being good?;)

I've done some deleting of responses to Tiaraprin's posts about Diana which were very considerately deleted by Tiaraprin so as not to derail the thread. It didn't seem sensible to leave the responses when the original posts were gone, so don't be surprised to read back and not see posts that were there earlier.

Thank you for your kind words Elspeth, I am trying to pass my charm school course but finding it rough going. . . :eek:

Lady Marmalade said:
Are there any pictures of the Bush twins, Jenna and Barbara, and what they wore? I could not find any.

#1: Jenna Bush (R), daughter of U.S. President George W. Bush, sits at a social dinner with her guest Henry Hager at the White House in Washington November 2, 2005. The rare black tie dinner was held by Bush for Britain's Prince Charles and Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, who are on an eight-day visit to the United States. Getty Images

Attachments

• 56060236.jpg
    56060236.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 178
Last edited by a moderator:
ysbel said:
Well I was sorry to miss Camilla and Charles. I think Camilla's outfit looks smashing and actually even like her hair! :D I like the windblown effect. The necklace is stunning!

Thanks everyone for posting pictures. :)

Yeah, the she looks good. But, the color is out of place at a Mass grave / cemetery.

If anyone takes notice. Everyone is in Dark Clothing to visit that site. All except one. I don't blame her. It was her stylist. that person should be fired big time.

You don't go to a funeral or a grave yard wearing Pink or red. Complete Disrepect for all those who are still there. The only thing red or pink at that sight is the flowers that greeving family memebers leave there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom