Prince Charles's Support of Alternative Medicine

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder why MHRA has not approved the products/claims in question prior allowing to distribute them. If checking claims is not a usual practice, why did MHRA decide to take action now?

:previous: I read it as the advertising on the web site was approved and only after one complaint was made, they then asked Duchy Originals to alter it, which they did back in January. Normally, I believe, more complaints are needed before any action is taken, ie, if one person complains that an advert for a particular health drink made promises it couldn't keep, (as in a recent case), it is not actioned until a significant number complain. If they normally listened to a single complaint they would be seriously overworked.

It is unfair indeed to take such drastic measure after the complaint of one individual, who has got obvious vested interests. As stated previously, it is deemed to expedient for an individual to consult a doctor before taking certain herbal medicine.

There are a lot of products advertised in the same manor as Duchy herbals had been before changes. While it's a good thing that MHRA is pursuing truth-in-advertising, it does leave one wonder if there is more scrutiny on the Duchy Original line than others.

I'll take a homeopathic regime waaaay before I take anything via orally. You've all heard the "no-no" list: Do not take if you are under 18, do not take if you are over 18, some people have experienced weight loss, bleeding, migranes and ulcers. Do not take if you are breast feeding or are or are going to become pregnant. . . .:nonono:

LOL! If I read all the fine prints the lawyers added on every prescription bottle, I might just crawled into a coffin and be done with it.

LOL! If I read all the fine prints the lawyers added on every prescription bottle, I might just crawled into a coffin and be done with it.
Or how about when they advertise about Mesotheloma? Granted, it's a horrible thing my step-father died of it, but golly they are making some dough! As are the doctors perscribing medications that put (IMO) gigantic holes in ones liver and kidneys!

I went to the duchy originals website-www.duchyoriginals.com and looked up the herbal tinctures. They really do not make any outrageous claims. The hyper-lift is mainly St. John's Wort which has long been used as a mild mood elevator. The website says do not use if pregnant, nursing, or if you have been diagnosed with depression.
The detox- is mainly dandelion juice which my grandma used to take. (We also ate dandelion greens). Again the site says not to use if pregnant or nursing and says with all products to READ the label carefully.

I have seen much worse claims especially on 'natural' energy and diet supplements.

I do read all that, and it's amazing that I take any medication at all!:lol:

Herbal supplements can be good and they can be bad. There is no regulation, so you take your chances. Mixed with some presciptions they are deadly. All "medicines" have pluses and drawbacks. Herbal medicines are just as dangerous and have far less oversight. Unfortunately, as doctors, keep studing things, they have found and allocated different ideas at different times. There is no hard or fast rule. Medicines change and minds change. When minds change you have "thinking", which is good. When minds are fixed you get no where. By the way, mesothelioma is not caused by medicine it is caused by inhaling irritants, such as asbestos.

By the way, mesothelioma is not caused by medicine it is caused by inhaling irritants, such as asbestos.
Correct. My step-father died of emphasyma related to mesothelioma.

The Prince of Wales's food firm has been criticised for "misleading" adverts for a range of herbal remedies claiming to offer relief from colds, low moods and digestive discomfort by an advertising watchdog.

Prince of Wales's Duchy Originals herbal remedy claims were 'misleading' - Telegraph

A spokesman for Duchy Originals said: "Duchy Originals accepts the Advertising Standards Authority's decision. The breach was completely unintentional and, as soon as we were alerted to it, we changed the wording and put in place checks to ensure that all future wording is fully compliant with the code
I wonder if any of them actually tried it, probably not as it is said to aid... digestive discomfort.:whistling::whistling:

Recently here in the US, the show Charles: The Meddling Prince, regarding Charles inserting himself into this subject as well as others aired. You can view it at www.youtube.com

:previous:
This programme first aired on Channel 4 in March of 2007, are the states that far behind? It was made by the Dispatches team, who are not renowned for 100% factual evidence.:rolleyes:

I think they are that far behind to be honest. And you are quite right I remember watching the program and doubting much of what was being said. :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Having watched the YouTube Charles the Meddling Prince, all I can say is . . . is there not one single honest "academic", "lawyer" or even a just plain journalist who has the guts to say "I/We loathe the BRF and Charles in particular, and will produce unashamedly biased bafflegab "Documentaries" to try and sway the poor uneducated sods less enlightened than me/us? :D

For all their self-righteous pontificating they still managed to sell goods way past their use-by date to the USA!

Rolling, rolling, rolling,
keep that cash a'rowling,
to the bank a'rolling $$$$$,
The're stupid enough to screen it,
nuttly enough to believe,
dumb enough to pay for it yah hoo! :whistling:
(With apologies to the writers of the theme tune to "Rawhide")

Edzard Ernst,the professor of complementary medicine at the Peninsula Medical School at Exeter, may have accused him of promoting "quackery" with some of the products in his Duchy Originals range, but the Prince of Wales's messianic fervour for alternative ways of treating illness and ailments clearly remains undiminshed.

Prince Charles lobbies Andy Burnham on complementary medicine for NHS - Telegraph

Prince Charles 'backed homeopathy in secret talks with ministers' | Mail Online

Prince Charles last night stood accused of secretly lobbying ministers in support of using discredited homeopathic medicines on the NHS.

The Department of Health has admitted for the first time that homeopathy has been discussed at private meetings between ministers and the prince, a strong supporter of alternative therapies.

Prince Charles's charity shuts amid £300k fraud inquiry

Prince Charles's homeopathy charity has been shut down amid a Scotland Yard investigation into a £300,000 fraud.

The Prince's Foundation for Integrated Health, which has campaigned for natural remedies to be used alongside conventional medicine since it was set up by Charles in 1993 to promote holistic treatment, has stopped its operations after a former senior official was arrested on suspicion of fraud and money laundering.

Alternative medicine has much to offer, it is good that such a public person such as Prince Charles brings attention to other ways of treating illnesses. Diana would approve.

Diana would approve.

Why would Charles need Diana's approval, they would still be divorced if she were still alive.
People always find ways of bringing Diana into the good things that Charles has done.

Alternative medicine has much to offer, it is good that such a public person such as Prince Charles brings attention to other ways of treating illnesses. Diana would approve.
I highly doubt Prince Charles gives a flying fig if Diana approved or not. However, Russo being in the insurance industy knows that, alternative medicine DOES have a lot to offer as in many cases it solves the ailment instead of putting a band-aid on it by perscibing a pill to be followed up with another pill when there are side effects to be followed up yet with another pill which leaves ones liver looking like Swiss Cheese. . .

Some home remedies are better than medication. An example of this would be if you get a bad sunburn. My grandmother put apple ciper and white vinegar into a tub of water and told me to sit in it for about 10 minutes. I was in severe pain from a very bad sunburn. All the heat came out of my body and I felt fine. I have never been able to duplicate this remedy (I tried to do this again several years later and it didn't work as well). Some of these remedies you have to be careful. In others the worse thing that would happen is it might not work.

As Charles was a follower of alternative medicines long before Diana came on the scene I don't see why it would have anything to do with her (more likely he introduced her to them as he was into them in the 70s at least).

Prince Charles and homeopathy: crank or revolutionary? - Telegraph

His sceptics say it is "witchcraft" and "nonsense", but Prince Charles's faith in the alternative medicine is unwavering

The Royal Familyhas long been devoted to the practice of homeopathy - in fact, to this day, there is a court homeopath, a position that seems as anachronistic as the royal horologist or the master of the Queen’s music. The Queen’s father, George VI, was a firm convert to the cause, as was his father, George V. Indeed, Her Majesty is not only devoted to homeopathy, which she also uses on her animals, but the broader spectrum of alternative medicine - and it is said that her avoidance of illness during her 60 years on the throne is due to supplementing her conventional medical regime with herbal remedies.

But it is Prince Charles who is alternative medicine’s staunchest supporter among the Royals - and indeed one of its most enthusiastic advocates in the UK. The practice is, he told the World Health Assembly in Geneva in 2006, “rooted in ancient traditions that intuitively understood the need to maintain balance and harmony with our minds, bodies and the natural world”.

- see the link at the top for more.

I, like Charles, tend to turn to holistic remedies when I can. One thing I'd like to stress that I've learned over the years is that holistic or "going natural" medicines are in no way to replace seeing your physician and if he/she prescribes a medicine, its for a reason and instructions should be followed to the letter.

A lot of herbal remedies are more preventative rather than curative and that's where the "good" of the remedy is questioned. We, as a rule, often wait until there's a symptom in full blast to seek medical treatment.

For an example. Take migraine headaches. There are plenty of good drugs on the market advertised for when a migraine hits. One herbal remedy for migraine headaches is to take white willow bark (natural source of aspirin) and feverfew daily to prevent migraines.

Holistic and modern medicine could do so much more if they worked together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom