Prince Charles's Interest in Organic Farming and Gardening

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
< ed digressions - Warren >
There seems to be some confusion here, Charles isn't saying that everyone must eat Organically produced foods, just that we should not be forced to eat GM foods. Much of the fruit and vegetables produced in this country is non GM and non organic!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys, I've removed the digressions concerning former Soviet agricultural practices, the consumption of cigarettes and alcohol among low income families, the cost of land in Southern Germany, etc etc. These topics are best discussed in Members' Corner. This thread is about the POW's interest in organic farming and gardening.

thanks,
Warren
British Forums moderator

There has been concerns about GM food for a long time. I applaud Charles for bringing more attention to the issue. And it will not make it easier to feed more people - but will put very nice dollars in Monsanto's pockets.

:previous:
Thank goodness for Charles, it is better for the village and the environment if this ground is used for growing vegetables, rather than allowed to go to waste, because the Earl wants his children to be able to put houses on it, which they will likely sell to enhance the coffers!

:previous: I think they are missing the point with the study if it is only going to be recordings. I don't know who had the idea to read Day of the Triffids! :rolleyes:

While he's not my personal favorite, I must say that he has lovely gardens at Highgrove. When and if he ascends to the throne, I'm sure he will add to the gardens in the royal residences. Look I said a nice thing about him. ;-P

While he's not my personal favorite, I must say that he has lovely gardens at Highgrove. When and if he ascends to the throne, I'm sure he will add to the gardens in the royal residences. Look I said a nice thing about him. ;-P
You'll have to try harder than that. You only said that he has a nice garden and may do some more gardening later on. :D

Well, I've never actually seen Highgrove in person, just from the book :). I did see their exhibition garden at Chelsea one year, which was lovely.

:previous:
further quotes from the link, and some information for potential visitors...

We know that he has a spirited sense of fun but it's only when you visit his home territory that you catch a more intimate glimpse of what makes him smile.

It is more than 28 years since the Duchy of Cornwall bought the house and the 15-acre garden around it, then almost featureless. Now the land is a breathtaking meld of bold planting, quirky architectural details, idiosyncratic topiary and stunning vistas.

At almost every turn you see something surprising. This could be the jaw-droppingly beautiful set of three tall slate vases, or the Wall of Gifts, an eccentric collection of pieces of stone. Well, princes get a lot of gifts and HRH makes imaginative use of them.

visitor information
The Highgrove gardens are open to invited groups from the end of March until the end of October. Visitors can make a donation to The Prince's Charities.
Groups wishing to apply should write to: Garden Tours Administrator, Highgrove House, Doughton, Tetbury, Gloucestershire, GL8 8TN.
There is a waiting list of about two years

Prince Charles famously talks to them, but nobody knew they talked to each other - until now. Plants engage in self-recognition and can communicate danger to genetically identical cuttings planted nearby, according to professor Richard Karban of the University of California.

TG Daily (c) - Plants can talk, apparently

Women gardeners' voices speed up growth of tomato plants much more than men's, it found.
In an experiment run over a month, they found that tomato plants grew up to two inches taller if they were serenaded by the dulcet tones of a female rather than a male.

Women's voices 'make plants grow faster' finds Royal Horticultural Society - Telegraph

AN 'edible communities' project pioneered in Todmorden will be presented to the Prince of Wales at a sustainability conference.
The idea, named "incredible edible communities", aims to increase local food with steps such as turning public flower beds into vegetable patches and supplying locally laid free-range eggs.

Prince Charles hails Edible Todmorden project - Yorkshire Post

PRINCE Charles was left in no doubt about the challenges of hill farming when he toured a 1,200-acre farm in Mid Wales last week.
Carnau Farm, at Llanddewi Brefi, has sustained four generations of the Davies family, who are determined to carry on their sheep farming tradition on the Cambrian Mountains

Daily Post North Wales - Farming - Farming News - Thank God for farming's youngsters, says Prince Charles

I grow a few things organically in my garden and find I am trying to buy more and more chemical free food. PC can influence the 'big players' and I love him for it

Back
Top Bottom