Prince Charles: Potential Prince Regent?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is ultimately no real way to tell about longevity. QEII father dies young even for his era but the Queen Mum hung pretty strong even nearing the end - we don't know which side Charles will favor and it seems to me QEII is still going strong even as she passes some duties off to Charles, William etc.

She appears to still be doing a fair share of her work herself .

It must be remembered though that George VI was a heavy smoker and drinker which contributed to his early death - Charles hasn't done those things.

If we go through his immediate ancestors:

Mother - 87 - still going
Father - 92 - still going
Maternal grandfather - died 56 - heavy smoker and drinker, highly stressful like from about 40 onwards
Maternal grandmother - died 101
Paternal grandfather - died 62 - had stressful time facing death penalty and then heavy drinker and smoker
Maternal grandmother - died 84.

Average age of these 6 - 80.3 and going up.
Average age of his parents - 89.5 and increasing.

Last edited:
It is about old age; mental health and physical health - the potential of a regency is not a comfortable subject.

I watched HMQ at the National Theatre today. Sadly, I can see that she is slowing down physically. Her steps were more hesitant and so much slower. I wasn't expecting it so it has taken me by surprise.

She once said that she needed to be seen to be believed (words to that effect - someone will correct me). I dont want a situation where she cannot be out there being seen and still ruling, and consigning Charles to carry out all the work without the status. That would be very harsh.

She needs to be realistic as time passes, and not blindly follow a 60+ year promise. The country, other realms and Commonwealth must be the priority

We do need to look at the words of that 65 year old promise - to serve all my life.

It wasn't 'to be your Queen' or something like that. If the best way for her to 'serve' is to step aside then she would do so and not be breaking the promise.

It must be remembered though that George VI was a heavy smoker and drinker which contributed to his early death - Charles hasn't done those things.

If we go through his immediate ancestors:

Mother - 87 - still going
Father - 92 - still going
Maternal grandfather - died 56 - heavy smoker and drinker, highly stressful like from about 40 onwards
Maternal grandmother - died 101
Paternal grandfather - died 62 - had stressful time facing death penalty and then heavy drinker and smoker
Maternal grandmother - died 84.

Average age of these 6 - 80.3 and going up.
Average age of his parents - 89.5 and increasing.

King George VI also had a lot of unexpected pressures: inheriting a throne he never thought he would inherit, and valiantly supporting his country through a horrific war and the Blitz. I love all these attributes about the man, but that's a lot of stress!

King George VI also had a lot of unexpected pressures: inheriting a throne he never thought he would inherit, and valiantly supporting his country through a horrific war and the Blitz. I love all these attributes about the man, but that's a lot of stress!

Those were the things I was referring to with the 'stressful life from age 40'.

While you raise an interesting point there, I wonder if she would see the promise in the same way.

One thing to remember is that The Queen is the sovereign while her Mother was the consort but at the same when looking through history most Queens/Queens Consorts seem to have more longevity then a lot of Kings have. Only one King lived to be older then 80 and that was George III even so he was not capable in the last nine years or so of his Reign and his son had to act as Regent. Both George VI and William IV died in their late late 60s and early 70s which by today standards early 70s seem young. Queen Victoria father died when he was 52. Queen Victoria lived to 81. King Edward VII was 68 when he died, King George V was 70 while King George VI was 52 and all three of them were heavy smokers also George V and George VI both had the stress of a Global War. All their wives lived into their 80s and in in the case of the Queen Mother she lived to 101.

Charles doesn't snoke or drink, yes he does lived with a smoker (or former smoker) but while second hand smoking can be bad it not not like smoking yourself.

Charles got great genes considering his health, the longevity of his parent and grandmothers and a few great Grandmothers as well.

Last edited:
I recently finished a book on George III and was amazed he lived that long considering the time and circumstances!

Please don't put words in my mouth. I do know something about genetics. And Charles has lived/spent every possible moment with a very heavy smoker for decades who in the last few years finally stopped . Are you acquainted with the research on second hand smoke?

For the heck of it, I just got done reading Stephen Barry's "Royal Service, My 12 Years as valet to Prince Charles". Charles abhorred smoking and although Camilla's smoking (or Camilla) never came up in the book, its very possible that she had designated areas for smoking when she was around him. My brother hates smoking and as a very heavy smoker for most of my life, I would smoke either outside, in the garage or in the basement out of respect.

I don't think other smoker's habits could/would have a big effect on Charles' health. I would think most that knew him and were around him, respected him enough to not smoke around him.

Charles is very much a health conscious person and always has been. He watches what he puts into his body as far as foods go, has never been a heavy drinker and, like a lot of the Windsors, believe that a good regime of exercise is important. I found it funny in Barry's book where he states that Charles is fast. He doesn't just walk. He runs.

HM will be Queen until she draws her final breath and to be honest, I think that Charles would prefer it to be that way. It is nice to know though that should an occasion arise where Charles would have to have Parliament declare a regency, he is more than ready to.

I can see a scenario after Philip dies where the queen starts to break down body and spirit wise. She has knee problems already. She gives more things to Charles such as investitures and travel. But I don't see abdication at all. If something major happened health or mentally, then you would get the regency with Charles.

I think the Queen is very determined to continue throughout her life. I don't think Charles will worry too much about performing the duties without the status of being King.

I find people's comments about the causes of longevity interesting. I am an militant non-smoker, but smoking or being exposed to second-hand smoke is only one factor in longevity.

The Queen Mother lived to be 101 years old even though she lived with a heavy smoker, and I think she occasionally smoked, too. The Queen, who is currently 87, also lived with a heavy smoker while she was growing up. I don't know, but I would be surprised if Prince Philip, who is currently 92, never smoked or didn't spent a lot of time in the company of smokers. He was in the service during World War II where smoking was very common.

I think the Queen is very determined to continue throughout her life. I don't think Charles will worry too much about performing the duties without the status of being King.

I find people's comments about the causes of longevity interesting. I am an militant non-smoker, but smoking or being exposed to second-hand smoke is only one factor in longevity.

The Queen Mother lived to be 101 years old even though she lived with a heavy smoker, and I think she occasionally smoked, too. The Queen, who is currently 87, also lived with a heavy smoker while she was growing up. I don't know, but I would be surprised if Prince Philip, who is currently 92, never smoked or didn't spent a lot of time in the company of smokers. He was in the service during World War II where smoking was very common.

Other illnesses kill apart from smoking. Stress of worrying about people smoking is not good for you.

Generally longevity of the time is a better indicator and so are life conditions. A woman born in 1900 in a working class and industrial environment would have stood little or no chance of living to old age, compared with a woman from a wealthy family, brought up in the country who never had to undertake physical work. The only time they were on equal ground is childbirth - but the wealthy woman would still have some advantage.

Physically the Queen is slowing down; mentally no sign. But she is changing her approach - William taking on additional duties, doing engagements with others (Notably Camilla). If she has a problem fulfilling her role, the I think (picking up from a previous post) she would step down.

I think his words will be taken out of context.

But be a Constitutional Monarch is a difficult job. People who thinks it is just waves and cutting ribbons are very stupid.

Last edited:
I think his words will be taken out of context.

But be a Constitutional Monarch is a difficult job. People who thinks it is just waves and cutting ribbons are very stupid.

But they were not his words- supposedly the words of an unnamed aide. But hey it's an attention getting headline.

But they were not his words- supposedly the words of an unnamed aide. But hey it's an attention getting headline.

I can very well see the media taking these comments out of context especially the rats that love to pounce on Charles for any little reason.

We know, as well as Charles does, that he's going to be a lot more limited in what he can do and say once he does become King. He's spent or will have spent nearly a half century carving out a role as Prince of Wales and when it is all listed in black and white, the list is quite impressive. He didn't have to do all the things that he has done. He could very well have been a "party king-in-waiting" sitting in a gilded carriage and eating bon bons. David and Wallis come to mind. They were pure social people and he was a beloved Prince of Wales before becoming King.

Charles, by nature, is a intelligent, caring and passionate man that has done so much for people in his trusts and charities and driven to preserve a sustainable life for not only his family, but the world at large. Whether or not it was an aide that knows Charles well or Charles himself that has stated that being a monarch is kind of like a "prison", when you think about it, it is. He knows what lies ahead and also realizes that it is time to get all the ducks in a row to have his works carried onward into the future.

The British monarchy, in my opinion, is entering into a transitional phase. Its amusing to notice at this time, that transitional is also the term used to describe the next year for William. As Charles is gearing up more and more to follow in his mother's footsteps, so will Charles also ensure that William is ready to step into the role as the Duke of Cornwall and perhaps Prince of Wales.

Its not that he won't be or doesn't want to be monarch, its the reality of knowing well just what the duties, roles and expectations are of a monarch.
If I remember right, when the abdication of Edward VIII took place, a then very young Princess Margaret asked her sister Elizabeth "so this means you will be Queen someday?". When Elizabeth answered that she would be, Margaret's response was "poor you".

So many of us like to follow the royals and admire the tiaras and the gowns and the privileges that these people have, sometimes I think they could very well be wishing they could be a farmer/painter in Tuscany or simple country folk up in Scotland. The grass is not greener on the other side of the fence. It just appears to be.

A woman born in 1900 in a working class and industrial environment would have stood little or no chance of living to old age, compared with a woman from a wealthy family, brought up in the country who never had to undertake physical work. The only time they were on equal ground is childbirth - but the wealthy woman would still have some advantage.

Generally I would agree with you but my family is the exact opposite:

Paternal grandmother - born 1884 - working class, started full-time work aged 12 and worked until she retired in her mid-60s except for the times she had her four children. Died - aged 88.

Maternal grandmother - born 1908 - upper class, didn't work until the outbreak of WWII - and then only because as a woman with no pre-school children she was required to do so and did office work from 9 - 3 only and as soon as the war ended retired to never work again - had one child - died aged 66.

As for the article that triggered this discussion - one of those stories where a series of people have made comments, and then reports about the full article chose some words and put them into the mouths of people who didn't necessarily say them.

Last edited:
According to the writer of the Times piece, the British media "sexed up" her article and the prison quote is not in the text. This is the reason why Charles and william have spoken to serious (not sure UK has any right now) journalists. UK media is embarassing.

Link to Catherine Meyer comment from the BBC

BBC News - Time UK editor: Charles prison quote 'sexed up'

PS if his "close confident" Selina Scott has spoken out on confidential matters, then she isn't close any longer.

People may think Charles will be very restricted when he's King but something tells me that Charles will be Charles. I think even The Queen, royal family and even palace officials know that Charles will carry on the role in the best way he see fit.

People may think Charles will be very restricted when he's King but something tells me that Charles will be Charles. I think even The Queen, royal family and even palace officials know that Charles will carry on the role in the best way he see fit.

He will be more constrained than he is now - that is a fact. The Monarch is a "neutral" role, and any intervention is confidential. He may question more but he cannot actively engage as he does now.

My concern is that William will not engage as his father has done - or even his grandfather.

My concern is that William will not engage as his father has done - or even his grandfather.

I think in this respect I can see both parents in William. He won't just be a patron on a letterhead but hands on and involved in whatever he takes on. Like Diana, he'll have the charisma with working with people and like Charles, he'll be passionate about it.

The difference that William has is that I've seen a lot of the charities and foundation work going global. I wouldn't be one bit surprised too if and when Charles does become King, all of the Prince's Trust and Charles' causes merge with the Royal Foundation and become one under the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and Prince Harry.

If you really think about it, as King, Charles can really still stay involved albeit a "silent partner". It'll be his sons that he can talk to and express concerns, ideas and suggestions. ;)

Well if W and H were to suddenly start harping about modern architecture, organic gardening and alternative medicine, I think most people would detect the hand of Charles pretty much right off the bat.

Well if W and H were to suddenly start harping about modern architecture, organic gardening and alternative medicine, I think most people would detect the hand of Charles pretty much right off the bat.

I agree wholeheartedly with you on that and I think too that his sons are stubborn enough too to stick to their guns when it comes to something they believe or don't believe in. They're definitely not yes men puppets. Growing up with their father, I'm sure they're very well aware of Charles' passions.

Could the Prince of Wales become Prince Regent?
Could the Prince of Wales become Prince Regent? - Telegraph

"Royal Household staff have discussed the possibility of the Prince of Wales becoming Prince Regent if the Queen eventually becomes unable to fulfil her duties, it has emerged.

Courtiers have studied the Regency Act to make sure they are well prepared for every eventuality as the Queen approaches her nineties."

Could the Prince of Wales become Prince Regent?
Could the Prince of Wales become Prince Regent? - Telegraph

"Royal Household staff have discussed the possibility of the Prince of Wales becoming Prince Regent if the Queen eventually becomes unable to fulfil her duties, it has emerged.

Courtiers have studied the Regency Act to make sure they are well prepared for every eventuality as the Queen approaches her nineties."

And this is supposed to shock or surprise us? :bang:

This is an organization that not only plans weeks and months ahead of time for all contingencies, but years even. To be honest, I'd be more shocked and surprised if they had not looked into this from all angles.

:previous:

The fact that they are doing it is not a surprise; the fact that someone "official" has told the media is.

Or maybe they are just re-printing the stories from last time. IT is happening re Cambridges/twins so why not Regency?

Back
Top Bottom