Prince Charles: Earlier Life and Incidents, Life in Pictures

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
(npg.uk)

idg8ia.jpg
idg8sy.jpg
idg8xw.jpg
idg907.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm enchanted to see the pictures of Queen (then Princess) Elizabeth with the baby Charles. She looked so fresh and young, positively beaming with her first child, even with her outlandish 40s hat. :p One forgets just how young she was when Charles was born.

such a sweet family Charles was a cute baby

Wales
picturepress.de, V&A, keystone

This time I have a nice portrait of Charles, taken in the 1980s:

20rkcr4.jpg

(RM)

Excellent picture, indeed, Iceflower. Look how young he seems.

I agree with you Bella. We can see, William really looks like his father from this pic (but in blonde version ;) )

A very nice picture, Iceflower!
Dear me, Prince Charles was quite an attractive man! Though I find him very attractive even now.

I can't believe how cute PC was as a small child. He really went through an akward and homely stage, IMHO, for a long time. I think now since he seems happier and more confident, he is better looking. It is really nice to see regular family pictures, not just the ones where everyone is posed for a photoshoot.
Thanks everyone for posting!!

I think that the best photos of Prince Charles are natural pictures that are taken with him looking straight into the camera. That way, there aren't any odd angles that emphasize particular features.:flowers:

I can't believe how cute PC was as a small child. He really went through an akward and homely stage, IMHO, for a long time. I think now since he seems happier and more confident, he is better looking. It is really nice to see regular family pictures, not just the ones where everyone is posed for a photoshoot.
Thanks everyone for posting!!

prince charles bear picture

I seem to remeber seeing a picture of prince charles when he was a boy. He was wearing his shorts and holding his beloved teddy bear in his hand. Does anyone have this elusive picture and if so could you please send it to me. Thank you.

Wonderful old pictures!

Prince Charles in the White House in 1970

I was wondering if there are photos of Prince Charles and Princess Anne at a White House party in their honor in 1970. Possibly with Tricia Nixon?

I was wondering if there are photos of Prince Charles and Princess Anne at a White House party in their honor in 1970. Possibly with Tricia Nixon?

I have found a couple of photos, both from "Life". The first shows Charles with Tricia at a White House Reception. The second shows Charles, Anne, Tricia, Julie, and David.
http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/53...71FD704DF60F6FC16CE7E030C5E0FB01E70F2B3269972

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/72...7C467E1698B8E18A82EEA9814543BB01E70F2B3269972

:whistling:

I don't know whether this little story has been told before or not.

An officer called Hugh, who went on skiing vacation with Charles and Diana, died in Avalanche. At that time, his wife was 6-month pregnant. Diana flied his body back to England, and since then she called Hugh's widow every Sunday for 3 years to ease her grief. Because she knew that Sunday evenings were a lonely time for a woman who lost her husband.

that sounds like Diana:heart: i hope she did that because that is a really heart warming story

It happend in Klosters (Switzerland) and the royal party went down Gotschna-Slope; it was closed that day; cause avalanches were thought possible.

Diana didn't fly the body back (she was no pilot AND she did return with the rest of the royal party); so if the body was flown back it may be, that it was in the same plane (or another) but surely NOT Diana flying the thing ;)

I don't think Anbrida meant that Diana literally flew the plane. More of accompanied the body back to Britain. As Charles did when she died. ;)

It happend in Klosters (Switzerland) and the royal party went down Gotschna-Slope; it was closed that day; cause avalanches were thought possible.

Diana didn't fly the body back (she was no pilot AND she did return with the rest of the royal party); so if the body was flown back it may be, that it was in the same plane (or another) but surely NOT Diana flying the thing ;)
Not the 'royal party'. Diana was back in the villa. Charles insisted on skiing off-piste wich generated the avalanche that killed his friend.

Not the 'royal party'. Diana was back in the villa. Charles insisted on skiing off-piste which generated the avalanche that killed his friend.
Could we have some credible evidence that:

a. Charles alone insisted that they ski off-piste, as opposed to them usually doing so, and;

b. Charles party caused the avalanche and killed his friend.

As anyone with mountain experience knows, avalanches are most often environmentally generated and routinely occur without external "cause". That is not to say that skiers, boarders, heli-skiers and climbers do not set off avalanches.

Here's an excerpt from an article I found:

Even the most thoughtful Charles-watchers raise questions about his judgment. Such questions dominated the national news last March, when the prince and his guests on a day's outing in the mountains near Klosters, Switzerland, schussed down an off-piste ski slope. The royal party released an avalanche that buried two of its members and almost swept away the prince himself. Maj. Hugh Lindsay, one of Charles's closest friends, died beneath tons of snow. Another friend, Pattie Palmer-Tomkinson, required four months in a Swiss hospital to repair her mangled legs.

Appalled by the accident, many journalists accused the prince of deadly nonchalance. But Charles's admirable grace under pressure disarmed his detractors. Waiving diplomatic immunity, he made several trips back to Switzerland to assist investigators, who eventually cleared him of any personal responsibility. "Charles was the host of the party, not the leader," Palmer-Tomkinson explained. "We all knew what we were getting into." Nevertheless, says a friend, "Charles will always have this terrible accident on his conscience. He is a deeply caring man."

And here's the link:A Dangerous Age - The British Royals, Prince Charles, Princess Diana : People.com

And here's another article: http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20098574,00.html In this one, Charles was heard muttering that he blamed himself.

The link directs me to People covers archive; no story or link to it.

Last edited:
Thank you, Mermaid1962 for posting the excerpt and the link to article. :)

Tragic as the incident was, I do not see how it can be blamed on the Prince - and apparently, neither did the Swiss authorities.
An error of judgement from all those involved? Certainly. But why put all the blame on one person who was not even the "team leader"?
As for the second article, and the Prince's words "I am to blame" - a survivor's guilt is a terrible thing, especially if you lose a close friend.

Last edited:
:previous:
How true Artemesia. Many of us go through life saying "If only" - but adults - including those involved in this accident - are responsible for their own actions.

Back
Top Bottom