Prince Charles Being Political?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
These costs were made to fight for the man whom, as only citizen in the whole kingdom, is denied the basic human right on privacy of his correspondence. Finally in a most mind-baffling demarché by juridicians, the public should know what the Prince thinks about badgers, albatrosses, the equipment of the Navy, the administrative strain on farmers and the concerns about failing education standards.

If The Guardian (which has immensely shot it its very own republican foot) has not started the whole crazy manoeuvre to deny the Prince a basic human right (which they would defence for anyone else...) then these costs were not necessary...

:flowers:
I really think this has been really wrong. Why does he have less of a right than normal people? Correspondance is confidential until needed in a criminal case. Why isn't he awarded the same right?

Videos:
Graham Smith of the pressure group ‘Republic’ has accused the Prince of Wales of ‘lobbying’ after private letters written by the Prince ten years ago to members of Tony Blair’s government were published. The publication follows a lengthy court battle led by The Guardian newspaper, to have the papers released into the public domain-

Home - ITNSource News

A former Special Adviser to the last Labour government has described the release of private letters from Prince Charles to ministers in Tony Blair’s government as the ‘tip of an absolutely enormous iceberg’. Paul Richards says letters from the heir to the throne were routinely received by every government department over 30-40 years, and covered every conceivable subject. The publication of the letters follows a lengthy court battle led by The Guardian newspaper-
Home - ITNSource News

The father of a British soldier killed in Iraq, says he regards Prince Charles as ‘being on his side’ after the release of private letters reveal the Prince raised concerns with Tony Blair’s government about the lack of adequate equipment for British troops. But Roger Bacon, whose son Major Matthew Bacon was killed by an IED attack in 2005, says the Prince may have been ‘over optimistic’ in his correspondence with the government as very little changed as a result-
Home - ITNSource News

Well this was a big waste of time by the Guardian. Charles comes out of this with some good PR and the republican 'movement' such as it is has taken a black eye.

If this is the best the republican Guardian and its supporters can do, the monarchy in Britain is safe for at least the next 150 years.

Well you know you've failed at the Guardian when this comes out.

Channel 4 News ‏@Channel4News
.@AlexSalmond: have received quite a few letters from Prince Charles, very intelligent, always worth reading

Last edited:
There many more letters to come, but I always like hearing Charles's views on a variety of issues and some things may be a little controversial. At least he have a view and don't mind publicly or privately expressing them.

Last edited:
Someone please explain the political parties in the UK. I know the terms don't mean the same thing as when it's used here in the U.S.

LaRae

Someone please explain the political parties in the UK. I know the terms don't mean the same thing as when it's used here in the U.S.

LaRae

There are two large blocs: the Conservatives, which can be compared with the more moderate wing of the Republicans in the USA. They have the majority in the House. Then there is Labour which can be compared with the more progressive wing of the Democrats in the USA. They form by far the largest Opposition.

A new phenomenon in Parliament is the SNP, the Scottish National Party, which aims for independence of Scotland and has won all but three of the 59 Scottish seats in an amazing landslide victory, last week.

Then there are some fragmented small parties, like the Greens, the Liberals, Welsh and (Northern) Irish parties which do not hold the balance of power in the House.

The news about the PoW's letters have also reached the foreign press. Kontroversielle breve offentliggjort: Prins Charles skriver om Danmark | Nyheder | DR
You can read the letter in English.
- From this and those few letters I have glanced elsewhere I can't help thinking it's nothing more than common sense Prince Charles is expressing and that he is taking a vivid interest in current affairs. And while that may annoying for the politicians, that is sort of what I would expect a (future) king to do. In fact I would be disappointed if he didn't.

I guess the republican and the anti-Charles brigades are really upset today. Too bad for them. :whistling::lol::ROFLMAO:

I guess the republican and the anti-Charles brigades are really upset today. Too bad for them. :whistling::lol::ROFLMAO:

I'm not sure they're upset. If anything, I think they are happy these letters are being released and that the courts backed them. They won on having these private correspondents between Charles and the government made public.

Although, I think these letters and the others that will be released should have stayed private, I like reading on Charles's views.

I'm not sure they're upset. If anything, I think they are happy these letters are being released and that the courts backed them. They won on having these private correspondents between Charles and the government made public.

Although, I think these letters and the others that will be released should have stayed private, I like reading on Charles's views.

What other letters to be released? To my knowledge there are none and a change to the FOI law means that all correspondence by HMQ/Heir to Throne are now confidential

If anything, the release of these letters (which I don't think should have been as he deserves privacy as much as the next guy) will afford the public insight just how interested and conscientious he is in regard to things that affect the people in all areas. This shows that, as King, he won't be taking his responsibilities lightly.

Give the Guardian enough matches and eventually they'll burn themselves eh?

What other letters to be released? To my knowledge there are none and a change to the FOI law means that all correspondence by HMQ/Heir to Throne are now confidential

I think it's been said that there will be more letters released.

If anything, the release of these letters (which I don't think should have been as he deserves privacy as much as the next guy) will afford the public insight just how interested and conscientious he is in regard to things that affect the people in all areas. This shows that, as King, he won't be taking his responsibilities lightly.

Give the Guardian enough matches and eventually they'll burn themselves eh?

I agree, everyone can see even in his letters that Charles cares about the issues that affect peoples lives.

Last edited:
:previous: thanks. Not seen that in the UK reports.

There are two large blocs: the Conservatives, which can be compared with the more moderate wing of the Republicans in the USA. They have the majority in the House. Then there is Labour which can be compared with the more progressive wing of the Democrats in the USA. They form by far the largest Opposition.

A new phenomenon in Parliament is the SNP, the Scottish National Party, which aims for independence of Scotland and has won all but three of the 59 Scottish seats in an amazing landslide victory, last week.

Then there are some fragmented small parties, like the Greens, the Liberals, Welsh and (Northern) Irish parties which do not hold the balance of power in the House.

Isn't there another one I heard about...something IP or PI or UPI ..something conservative (by American language).

LaRae

UKIP - this is the party that is pushing for the UK to leave the EU.

It is not whether Charles' cares. it is what the laws are regarding his input. I have no idea what they are, but there are Constitutional prohibitions. Perhaps, only for the monarch. That I do not know either. It is for the Parliament to interpret those laws. And for those they affect to follow.

Whatever comes out of it having your PR break a microphone is not a good look for a royal. I wonder if he has the right staff around him. A carry on as usual approach is the way to go not interacting with the press

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Whatever comes out of it having your PR break a microphone is not a good look for a royal. I wonder if he has the right staff around him. A carry on as usual approach is the way to go not interacting with the press

I agree with you on this. It would have been much better to totally ignore the journalist as Charles did and just walk away. The action of grabbing the microphone just called more attention to the questions the journalist was asking.

Don't want to veer off topic but..
If my memory is correct, Charles's late ex-wife, also wrote letters but were destroyed by her mother and Princess Margaret after her passing. Correct me if I'm wrong on that!

Last edited:
Interesting...wonder how most Brits (et al) feel about that.

LaRae

It has only won one seat in the House of Commons, last week. It's leader, Mr Nigel Farage, even did not manage to win in his own consistuency. As a result he announced to step down as leader. Now, a week later, as a typical politician, Mr Farage is already making u-turns on his announcement to step down...

For the moment, the UKIP with only one seat, plays no role in the House. They are stronger in the European Parliament where they have 24 seats. But these 24 drown in a sea of 751 seats in the European Parliament. For so far it has only delivered lots of noise and a little change. In this thread (Charles being political?) Mr Farage plays no any role.

Last edited:
It has only won one seat in the House of Commons, last week. It's leader, Mr Nigel Farage, even did not manage to win in his own consistuency. As a result he announced to step down as leader. Now, a week later, as a typical politician, Mr Farage is already making u-turns on his announcement to step down...

For the moment, the UKIP with only one seat, plays no role in the House. They are stronger in the European Parliament where they have 24 seats. But these 24 drown in a sea of 751 seats in the European Parliament. For so far it has only delivered lots of noise and a little change. In this thread (Charles being political?) Mr Farage plays no any role.

I know this is off topic, but UKIP as a party rejected Farage's resignation. He himself did not do a U-Turn.

As for who is where this week thanks to last week's election, what is evident is that UK electoral system is a shambles. UKIP received over 4 million votes, and got 1 seat. SNP received less than 1.2 million and got 56 out of 59 seats and now have a strong say in UK government when nobody in England voted for them.

As for Charles: people seemed to expect these letters to be hate fuelled rants where Charles named names and threw money about when that was clearly never going to be the case as this is Prince Charles we're taking about. He is a well thought through man.

I saw a tweet yesterday where someone said the letters had changed their mind about PC. They had gone from disliking him to admiring him. These letters are actually doing Charles good.

That UKIP only has one seat because it failed to win in other consistuencies: that is too bad for them. But the playground is equal. It is not that the game had different rules for Labour or the Conservatives, they had to win consistuencies too, of course.

Then the anomaly of the SNP having more seats than UKIP. That is only one anomaly. The other is seldom discussed: the Conservatives are practically irrelevant in Scotland. Despite the massive support for Labour, and now for SNP, the Scots remain ruled by a party they never have voted for. This anomaly is easily ignored by the same UKIP politicians wailing about the British electoral system.

As for who is where this week thanks to last week's election, what is evident is that UK electoral system is a shambles.

The great British public overwhelmingly rejected the proposal to go down the route of proportional representation in a referendum less than 5 years ago. First-past-the-post is what the majority of the voters want, and that is what we have. If UKIP had greater support in individual constituencies, they would have more seats, period.

As for Charles: people seemed to expect these letters to be hate fuelled rants where Charles named names and threw money about when that was clearly never going to be the case as this is Prince Charles we're taking about. He is a well thought through man.

I saw a tweet yesterday where someone said the letters had changed their mind about PC. They had gone from disliking him to admiring him. These letters are actually doing Charles good.

I agree, to me, the letters show Prince Charles in quite a positive light.

Then the anomaly of the SNP having more seats than UKIP. That is only one anomaly. The other is seldom discussed: the Conservatives are practically irrelevant in Scotland. Despite the massive support for Labour, and now for SNP, the Scots remain ruled by a party they never have voted for. This anomaly is easily ignored by the same UKIP politicians wailing about the British electoral system.

Lets not forget this was an election to a national Parliament, not a regional assembly. The will of all British people matters, not just the Welsh or the Scots or the Irish. The Tories may not have much of a political presence in Scotland, but then nor do the SNP in the rest of the country. I live in a constituency that has had a Labour MP for a long time, irrespective of how large numbers of us vote (quite like the Scots in relation to a Tory government in London). Do we feel disenfranchised? Not really, that is just how democracy works.

Back
Top Bottom