Prince Charles and the Environment

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was fascinated to read recently something about community action which has created the essential pre-conditions for sustainable development. The other day I visited an area in Bradford where my Foundation has been working for the last several years and I met a lot of young adolescent teenagers who had been working on a project which involved taking photos of all the buildings they liked and what they didn't like.

Prince Charles: We must shape our environment in partnership with nature - Commentators, Opinion - The Independent

"BRUTAL and insensitive" globalisation has been attacked by Prince Charles, who suggested "locally inspired" solutions could one day benefit the world.
Charles praised cities, towns and villages that had retained a sense of community that equipped people to deal with global problems.

Prince Puts Case For Sense Of Community (from The Herald )

If Charles only had a real job to occupy his mind, he'd never have jumped on the enviro bandwagon. I think a lot of it is nonsense. People should be stewards of the earth and take care of it, yes, but they shouldn't be enslaved by greedy governmental taxes and hysterical media people. I don't think global warming has ever been proven,but people are eager to tax other people into poverty for the sake of junk science. First it was global cooling, now it's global warming, and soon it will be time for global cooling nuts to start up again.

:previous:
As you might imagine, I disagree with you 100%. Global Warming is happening and although it is a naturally occurring event, the actions of humans are exacerbating the problem. Many people prefer to ignore the warning signs in their greed and dismiss the evidence. :nonono:

Charles was called a nut and look how he has been proved right on so many matters.

I think all of us have to make up our own minds on the matter, and the fact that Charles has been right about other things in the past, doesn't make him right about so-called global warming. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. I think a lot of people have been sold a lot of bull about junk science. As many scientists disagree as agree about so-called global warming, and it is said that the math was incorrectly done, to force the wrong conclusions. But to each their own; you can be for it, and I can be against it. Best wishes.

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: No a broken clock is a broken clock.:whistling:

:previous: Absolutely correct Sky!

A broken promise is a broken promise . . . firms such as Monsanto have been raping the land since time immemorial and lying to the "ignorant" masses, expecting to be universally and unconditionally believed. Only the scale has changed. Bees dying all over the world . . . . There is an acceptable level of melamine in milk? An acceptable level of bacteria in peanut butter? You name it, and the "Corporate World" has done it.

So, in the UK you have one really high profile Eco-Warrior that just won't go away, and what a prince he is! In fact he is a Prince and that is what protects his voice from being silenced on ecology, sustainabilty, global warming, etc.

"BRUTAL and insensitive" globalisation has been attacked by Prince Charles, who suggested "locally inspired" solutions could one day benefit the world.

Charles praised cities, towns and villages that had retained a sense of community that equipped people to deal with global problems.
Prince Charles stand is a beacon to us all. Long may he continue his work to the music of corporate gnashing of teeth! :D

Last edited:
If Charles only had a real job to occupy his mind, he'd never have jumped on the enviro bandwagon. I think a lot of it is nonsense. People should be stewards of the earth and take care of it, yes, but they shouldn't be enslaved by greedy governmental taxes and hysterical media people. I don't think global warming has ever been proven,

It has.

but people are eager to tax other people into poverty for the sake of junk science.

Nonsense.

First it was global cooling, now it's global warming, and soon it will be time for global cooling nuts to start up again.

Nope.

I think all of us have to make up our own minds on the matter, and the fact that Charles has been right about other things in the past, doesn't make him right about so-called global warming. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. I think a lot of people have been sold a lot of bull about junk science. As many scientists disagree as agree about so-called global warming,

Not true.

and it is said that the math was incorrectly done, to force the wrong conclusions.

Of course it was said. And no doubt it was said by global-warming deniers. This is an accusation of criminal fraud, I hope you realise, and it'd be nice to back it up with something approaching an actual hard fact before you accuse the scientists concerned of such things, and accuse Prince Charles of supporting and abetting them.

Last edited:
It has.

Nonsense.

Nope.

Not true.
Very pithy Elspeth. :devil2:

Of course it was said. And no doubt it was said by global-warming deniers. This is an accusation of criminal fraud, I hope you realise, and it'd be nice to back it up with something approaching an actual hard fact before you accuse the scientists concerned of such things, and accuse Prince Charles of supporting and abetting them.
Indubitably! :boxing:

m I don't think global warming has ever been proven,but people are eager to tax other people into poverty for the sake of junk science. First it was global cooling, now it's global warming, and soon it will be time for global cooling nuts to start up again.

You´re not serious, are you? :w00t:

The prince will be making a visit to the Amazon in Brazil next month where he will give a keynote speech on what he has described as 'one of the biggest crises facing the planet'.

Prince Charles | Rainforests | Global warming | Save Nature | World Climate |

... to learn what ..? All his supporters argue that His Royal Highness Prince Charles will offset his carbon emissions. I am not sure about effectinvess of offsetting carbon emissions though. Thus, it will be both fruitless and useless attempt to argue otherwise. It is impossible for Prince Charles, Duchess of Cornwall, and their entourage to paddle in seas and ocean.

It is Prince Charles's duty to go to Australia | Matthew Parris - Times Online
The country has been hit by disaster. This is the moment for a visit that could stop the slide towards republicanism

As bushfires in Victoria continued to burn yesterday, Australia's ABC News reported the Prince of Wales as saying: “I don't quite know how to express enough sympathy, how much we feel for people.” Doesn't he? Here's a suggestion. Go there. You haven't visited since March 2005, and this week the country's been hit by its greatest natural and human disaster in memory. If the flood in Hull in the summer of 2007 justified a visit, doesn't this? Elbow aside the humming and hah-ing of Palace officials, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, and probably the Australian Federal Government too.

... to learn what ..?
To learn that not many people are willing to be preached to on the environment by someone who has travelled to do the preaching on an aircraft that could carry hundreds of people but will instead be carry about 50 instead
This is the one thing about Charles that really annoys me and usually I think he does a great job. He says he is so passionate about the environment but doesn’t seem to be willing to make this life any less comfortable to save the environment.
Why can't he travel by scheduled aircraft? The official reason given isn't even that it would be a security risk (which is understandable) but that he will be so busy, well then why not work out a schedule that allows him to travel on a scheduled airliner. I'm sure if Charles insisted on travelling scheduled his staff could work something out. Or of course he could travel on a much smaller aircraft and take a much smaller staff. It just seems to me that there are move Charles could take to reduce his carbon use if he really wanted to but then he might have to travel business class - shock horror!!!!!

I see... Well ... this is the way Prince Charles works. Nothing can be done about it. As I have stated earlier, all arguments against chartered planes are rebutted by the "Prince Charles will offset the carbon emisssions" statement.

I see... Well ... this is the way Prince Charles works. Nothing can be done about it. As I have stated earlier, all arguments against chartered planes are rebutted by "Prince Charles will offset the carbon emisssions".

I wonder if Charles will ever realise that if he dosn't damage the environment so much he wouldn't have to "offset carbon emissions". I've always thought offsetting was more for the average week away in the Med rather than a trip for 50 on a 200 seater aircraft.

Offsetting carbon emissions can apply equally to the person driving to work as to Prince Charles flying half-way around the world.

The scale of the carbon use would require an equal scale of offsetting but it can be done.

The concept of offsetting carbon emission is totally alien to me. Neither Prince Charles nor other gurus of this concept seem to provide an easy-to-understand description. If Prince Charles and rest think that they can offset carbon emission, let them do it.

To learn that not many people are willing to be preached to on the environment by someone who has travelled to do the preaching on an aircraft that could carry hundreds of people but will instead be carry about 50 instead
This is the one thing about Charles that really annoys me and usually I think he does a great job. He says he is so passionate about the environment but doesn’t seem to be willing to make this life any less comfortable to save the environment.
Why can't he travel by scheduled aircraft? The official reason given isn't even that it would be a security risk (which is understandable) but that he will be so busy, well then why not work out a schedule that allows him to travel on a scheduled airliner. I'm sure if Charles insisted on travelling scheduled his staff could work something out. Or of course he could travel on a much smaller aircraft and take a much smaller staff. It just seems to me that there are move Charles could take to reduce his carbon use if he really wanted to but then he might have to travel business class - shock horror!!!!!

Other articles state that it will be a staff of 14 people and a private jet.

Latest Headlines, Top News, Entertainment, Health, Science and Sports News - UPI

The easiest solution would be for TRH to just stay home, stick to hologram meetings, or teleconferencing, and still continue with their regular engagements in the UK. No carbon footprints. :)

I wonder if Charles will ever realise that if he dosn't damage the environment so much he wouldn't have to "offset carbon emissions". I've always thought offsetting was more for the average week away in the Med rather than a trip for 50 on a 200 seater aircraft.
If he didn't visit, there would be even less people taking any notice of such a serious issue. Why would offsetting be restricted for the tourist brigade? I offset on all sorts of things, many companies give the option, from electricity usage, car insurance, flights etc.

I want to do all I can to hand over this one planet and it's remaining beauty to my children, grandchildren and great grandchildren.

I'm not saying he shouldn't offset my point was that i think it has less of an effect when you’re talking about such big emissions. I've always felt that offsetting was meant for the times in life when we have to pollute, yes we all want a holiday once a year, yes we all need to fly for business so we can offset these, but it doesn’t stop us trying to be "green" whenever we can. Charles however seems to take the view that it doesn't really matter what he does as so long as he offsets it won't have an impact but sorry I don't believe that. There's a difference flying out with hundreds of other people on a chartered flight and chartering such a massive jet for such a relatively few people.
You have to ask yourself also, how many people will really take note and act upon what he says about the environment on this trip – will that justify such a massive carbon emission just to travel out to say be more “green”? Again, I don’t think so really personally. If he wants to talk about being more environmentally friendly then why doesn’t he, when talking about being “green” stay at home and do it via video etc?

There's a difference flying out with hundreds of other people on a chartered flight and chartering such a massive jet for such a relatively few people.
Offsetting is worked out individually to cover whether it is a small car or a super airbus.
You have to ask yourself also, how many people will really take note and act upon what he says about the environment on this trip – will that justify such a massive carbon emission just to travel out to say be more “green”? Again, I don’t think so really personally. If he wants to talk about being more environmentally friendly then why doesn’t he, when talking about being “green” stay at home and do it via video etc?
Even if he manages to convert 10 people, who go on to convert 10 more, it is worth the trip. It has made the major papers and major TV stations, so already it is doing some good.

You will always get some diehard cynics, denying global warming or the causes thereof and those that are only interested in keeping their red lifestyles.

Would he get this much coverage by announcing a video link, no IMO. They are not going for a while yet and yet it has probably generated massive publicity for offsetting and green issues. :flowers:

i wonder what kind of carbon footprint al gore left whilst promoting his global warming message, how many private jets he used to fly around the world to, among countless other events, collect his nobel price.

for me prince charles is a great asset to this country, somebody who is not afraid to speak up on issues, politically correct or not. yes he is being critizised for using a private jet but i prefer him being critizised to do so while promoting the "green issue", something he has done for many years, rather than using his private jet to get to one of these senseless events, as many other royals or politicians usually do.

in the beginning people said 'oh he's a wacko with all his green stuff' until they had to acknowledge that he was right, and now they are looking for other ways to critizise his dedication or commitment, like 'oh he doesn't walk there or take the train'. it's the cause that counts and charles is, unlike many others, not somebody who jumped on the bandwaggon when it was fashionable to do so but was one of the first high profile people to raise awareness. seems the media is now exhausted with critizising gordon brown for everything and they are desperate for a new target.

I don't have a problem with what Charles says, and i respect fully the fact that he has indeed being talking about "green" issues well before they became the "in thing" to jump on board with. However i think he would be taken more seriously if he flew scheduled (in first class if he wants) or even on a smaller jet. Why does he need such a large plane? A smaller one and him taking less people f necessary would surfice.

:previous: The plane he is using only seats 29 (an Airbus A319), hardly a large plane. On that plane they will have to eat, sleep and change, to appear fresh and ready to go.

it only seats 29 now but usually it seats over 150 passengers. How much room do they need really? Or is Camilla planning on wearing some massive hats that need half the plane?

:previous:That is not quite correct,:flowers: It seats 29 but if used commercially can be adapted to accommodate 150, (narrow row, after narrow row). It is a private jet and therefore has ample room for anyone who wishes to use it. It's not as if they have had the other seats taken out to accommodate them.:flowers:

Other articles state that it will be a staff of 14 people and a private jet.

Latest Headlines, Top News, Entertainment, Health, Science and Sports News - UPI

The easiest solution would be for TRH to just stay home, stick to hologram meetings, or teleconferencing, and still continue with their regular engagements in the UK. No carbon footprints. :)

I don't have a problem with them taking a private plane to do a trip like this. It is much easier logistically and the environment is a serious issue. However, given the current economic climate at this moment in time, £300,000, which is the expected cost of this 10 day trip, might be better put towards employing 10 people for a year, or saving 10 families from foreclosure on their homes.

:previous:With PAYE, £300,000 would not be enough to employ 10 people for a year and they could hardly pay the arrears on 10 peoples houses without the other 100,000 demanding to know why they were not helped!:nonono:

Thank you for your opinion, Skydragon. It does nothing to dissuade my own that the money to pay for this trip could be better spent elsewhere at this time.

In my opinion Charles as the future king, for all of his good intentions, might want to rethink such a large expenditure when so many of his future subjects are in dire circumstances. The average person may very well resent hearing that their future monarch is spending such a large amount of money on a 10 day jaunt when they are wondering how they will feed and house their family.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom