Prince Charles and the Environment

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We'll leave the feigned outrage and unsubtle attempt to manufacture an issue re Charles and the Gulf of Mexico oil spill and instead discuss rational topics.

thanks,
Warren
British Forums moderator

Prince of Wales opens new front in global warming fight - Telegraph

The Prince of Wales, who warned last year that there were "less than 100 months" to save the planet from irreversible damage due to climate change, is stepping up his own efforts.

The heir to the throne has launched a global project to prevent ecological disaster, the International Sustainability Unit, for which he has ambitious plans.

Prince Charles: 'My duty is to save the world' | Mail Online

The Prince of Wales says he believes he has been placed on Earth as future King ‘for a purpose’ - to save the world.

Giving a fascinating insight into his view of his inherited wealth and influence, he said: ‘I can only somehow imagine that I find myself being born into this position for a purpose.

Giving a fascinating insight into his view of his inherited wealth and influence, he said: ‘I can only somehow imagine that I find myself being born into this position for a purpose.

‘I don’t want my grandchildren or yours to come along and say to me, “Why the hell didn’t you come and do something about this? You knew what the problem was”. That is what motivates me.

Read more: Prince Charles: 'My duty is to save the world' | Mail Online

Funny...he doesn't look druish.

This article to me in no way portrayed him as a redeemer out to save the fate of humankind but sometimes the press has to have some kind of a big lead in grabber to sell the paper. :)

The more I read and learn about what Charles is doing and what he hopes to accomplish the more I respect this man.

For what Charles has tried to achieve during his adult life, I too respect him, Osipi.

I take his point, too. It is incumbent upon him to strive for world betterment if he believes that he can accomplish change and reform, and very few are better placed to wield their influence as effectively. I think that his sentiments are worthy of honour rather than disdain, though there's a certain journalistic way to tell the same tale to arouse indignation amongst some.

Perhaps he should have said that he believes that being born to his privileged position meant that he could become a wastrel and playboy prince, given over to every wayward indulgence available to the immensely wealthy.

He is one of the, sadly, very few people in the general public purview, who has shown constant commitment and endeavour to improving the environment and leading by example, e.g. only today I read an article about his having converted his Aston Martin, a 21st birthday present from his mother, to bio-fuels (well, wine, actually, which gave me a laugh!).

Prince Charles has been granted planning permission to install solar panels on the roof of his 180-year-old home Clarence House.
There were concerns that the 32 panels spread over 132 square feet of roof would be an ugly stain on the attractive grade listed building.
But the height of its parapets and the panels’ position on the south-east roof facing The Mall will make them invisible from the ground, the plans show.

Prince Charles to generate his own power with solar panels on Clarence House | Mail Online

Prince Charles uses book Harmony to pledge a duty to the environment | Mail Online

Prince Charles has already said he will take the title of Defender of the Faith when he becomes King.

But now the Prince of Wales has pledged to dedicate himself to becoming the Defender of Nature.

Prince of Wales wants to be 'defender of nature' - Telegraph

As heir to the throne Prince Charles will one day be given the title Defender of Faith.

But as his job, he says he intends to become the defender of nature

Prince Charles has been granted planning permission to install solar panels on the roof of his 180-year-old home Clarence House.
There were concerns that the 32 panels spread over 132 square feet of roof would be an ugly stain on the attractive grade listed building.
But the height of its parapets and the panels’ position on the south-east roof facing The Mall will make them invisible from the ground, the plans show.

Prince Charles to generate his own power with solar panels on Clarence House | Mail Online
This is all well and good, however, how good are the solar panels? I have Army friends in the know who say that Isreal manufactures the best solar panels, however, we can't get them in the US as our electric companies (PGE in Portland, Oregon) have lobbyied to nixed their entrance into the US.

Wow this makes me look at him in a different and better light! :D

I really enjoyed the documentary Harmony that aired on NBC here in the US. I don't agree with everything but it's a pleasure to see someone of his high stature that cares and isn't willing to pretend otherwise to please his critics.

This is all well and good, however, how good are the solar panels? I have Army friends in the know who say that Isreal manufactures the best solar panels, however, we can't get them in the US as our electric companies (PGE in Portland, Oregon) have lobbyied to nixed their entrance into the US.

The main question from my point of view is: what happens in case of a fire?

Where I am living the firemen no longer provide service to burning buildings with solar panels for security reasons (-> water plus electricity). These panels cannot be turned of, they keep producing electricity ... even in the night when there is special lightning to help the firemen during their work. Thus, there was a decision to abandon any building with these panels rather than risk life. :eek:

Interesting. Here they have to be wired into the electricity control panel for that exact reason - to be able to turn off the production of electricity in the same way the rest of the electricity to the house is turned off (and also to calculate the savings on the electricity bill).

Last edited by a moderator:
'Harmony' Teaser......

I have only just come to be aware of this film and have yet to see it in total. From the teaser I am eager for more. It startles me how intensely negative the British media are against Charles, and by extension some of the British public. IMO he is a shining example of a man who always preformed his duty, did what was asked of him and simultaneously pursued a life, his own life, with a career really, albeit atypical because of his position. The British have a remarkable individual poised to be their next monarch when the time comes - and they seem hay-bent on destroying him through continuous ridicule - why?

HARMONY (Teaser)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWJtS2VpYm0&feature=related

Last edited:
'Harmony' On YouTube....

....not good audio quality, but here it is for those interested.....I can't figure out the sequence......and its not complete....impressive, none-the-less.....and each link is different though sections are repeated.....

Very impressed. That someone with his visibility is working in this way is heartening. We need a 'new way of thinking' - he's saying nothing new but saying it at a time when it is much needed. Its not about stopping progress, its about making progress intelligent and humane instead of driven solely by the profit motive. I am impressed with the guy - good work! :flowers:

'Harmony' - Prince Charles, NBC 11-19-2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5IPOBDVVkk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjvkH1G-mmQ&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKlOJM8SKRI&feature=related

Last edited:
Prince Charles blasts big business on climate change for 'playing with our future' | Mail Online

The Prince of Wales launched an extraordinary attack on consumer capitalism last night, and said he wanted to make it ‘cool not to use stuff’.

BBC News - Prince Charles: Climate sceptics gamble with the future

The Prince of Wales has hit out at climate change sceptics for what he calls the "corrosive" impact they have on public opinion.

Prince of Wales: climate change sceptics 'playing a reckless game of roulette' - Telegraph

Climate change sceptics are "playing a reckless game of roulette" with the future of their grandchildren, the Prince of Wales on Wednesday told a European Union conference on global warming.

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Anger over Prince Charles’s climate change blast

Prince Charles was accused of endangering his reputation yesterday after claiming climate change sceptics were “playing a reckless game of roulette” with the world’s future.

Prince Charles is almost too informed and intelligent for his own purpose. Whether he alone controls his PR machine or he has hired professionals, his low profile works very well for him.

I admire him very much. He is very impressive.

I'm a big fan of Charles, admire his tenacity over all these years to all his environmental, sustainable causes. However, he and I do disagree. Climate "crisis" is bunk.

From Warren's Collection...

"Charles will step up the battle for the environment"
Author: N/A
Source: Royalty Magazine
Published: June 1989

The Prince of Wales has said that climate change may have been one of the causes of the current bloody civil war in Syria.

The heir to the throne has long been a passionate campaigner on environmental issues and linked the conflict which has left hundreds of thousands dead, created millions of refugees and seen the rise of Islamic State (IS), with drought in the Middle Eastern nation.

In the interview with Sky News, to be broadcast tonight but filmed before last week's deadly Islamist terrorist attack in Paris that left 130 people dead, Charles talks about his belief that there are links between climate change and terrorism.

He also urged governments to adopt green measures despite austerity, saying there was "a real possibility of nature's bank going bust".
Read more: Prince Charles: Climate change is cause of civil war in Syria and rise of Islamic State | Western Daily Press

I've heard that there's a link between these two even before Prince Charles mentioned it.

No wonder why the PoW's sanity is questioned from time to time.

It is a very serious statement. A lot of researchers have already expressed the same idea and links between climate change and terrorism are a very serious matter even for Pentagon.

As usual HRH is correct- It's well-documented that from 2006-2010, the 'Fertile Crescent', the agricultural area that covers parts of northern Syria as well as Iraq, Lebanon and Israel, experienced the worst drought on record.

The drought, coupled with poor irrigation techniques and government mismanagement, resulted in an agricultural collapse.

This collapse caused tens of thousands of people from farming communities in the rural north to migrate en masse to southern cities in order to earn a living - the theory goes that this mass migration caused overcrowding, poverty and youth unemployment, which occurred as food prices roses due to the scarcity of grain.

:previous: Exactly so, wyevale. :sad: This connection has been suggested since quite a few years. Below is an article on a recently published study. It has been theorized that the climate shift will cause population displacement, civil conflict, refugees and basically destabilize whole regions. That it has already been happening has up to now only been surmised.

Climate Change Helped Spark Syrian War, Study Says: Research provides first deep look at how global warming may already influence armed conflict. By Craig Welch, for National Geographic PUBLISHED MARCH 02, 2015
LINK: Climate Change Helped Spark Syrian War, Study Says
TEXT: "A severe drought, worsened by a warming climate, drove Syrian farmers to abandon their crops and flock to cities, helping trigger a civil war that has killed hundreds of thousands of people, according to a new study published Monday. The research provides the most detailed look yet at how climate change may already be helping spark violent political unrest. "Up until now we've understood and established that changes in climate may affect human conflict in the future. But everything until now has stopped short of saying climate change is already having an effect," says Solomon Hsiang, a University of California, Berkeley professor who has studied the role of climate change in violence. He did not participate in the new study.

"The authors acknowledge that many factors led to Syria's uprising, including corrupt leadership, inequality, massive population growth, and the government's inability to curb human suffering. But their report, published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, compiled statistics showing that water shortages in the Fertile Crescent in Syria, Iraq, and Turkey killed livestock, drove up food prices, sickened children, and forced 1.5 million rural residents to the outskirts of Syria's jam-packed cities—just as that country was exploding with immigrants from the Iraq war. (Related: "Half of Syrians Displaced: 5 Takeaways From New UN Report.")​

Last edited:
The entire climate change debate has political undertones and it usually splits down the middle between liberals and conservatives.

There will be people who agree with Charles and there will be just as many who disagree with him.

Back
Top Bottom