Poundbury

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elspeth

Former Moderator
City
Country
United States
Poundbury is a planned community built on Duchy of Cornwall land near Dorchester in Dorset. It was conceived by the Prince of Wales as a town which combined homes, shopping centres, and work places so that the residents can get from place to place on foot rather than being forced to drive long distances to commute or go shopping. The architecture and layout, as well as the use of traditional building materials, are deliberately intended to give the community a feeing of a traditional town rather than a modern suburban development.

The Prince has worked with Leon Krier, an architect and urban planner, to make his vision into reality. The community has been in the planning stages since the 1980s and is being built in phases, so that the increased population won't put a strain on the resources of Dorchester. The first phase was completed in 2002, and building is expected to continue until around 2025.

For more information, check out these websites:

http://www.duchyofcornwall.org/designanddevelopment_poundbury.htm

http://www.poundbury.info/

http://www.amazon.com/Vision-Britain-Personal-View-Architecture/dp/038526903X

Last edited:
Skydragon said:
I wonder how long it will take for them to blame Prince Charles.:confused: :eek:

for what?:confused: Can't see anything wrong about what he has done and is doing.

Avalon said:
for what?:confused: Can't see anything wrong about what he has done and is doing.

I was being a little sarcastic.:D
Prince Charles gets the blame for everything! :D The way the news is told here, it is his fault that complimentary therapies are in use in the NHS, (nothing to do with patients and GP's approving them).

His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales is joined by Prince Albert of Monaco as he leads a group of international visitors on a tour of the Poundbury development on the edge of Dorchester, Dorset - POLFOTO

HERE
AND HERE

AND meeting children from Sunny Days Nursery at Poundbury.

HERE

He has been a busy birthday boy! :lol:

Skydragon said:
His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales is joined by Prince Albert of Monaco as he leads a group of international visitors on a tour of the Poundbury development on the edge of Dorchester, Dorset - POLFOTO
HERE
AND HERE
AND meeting children from Sunny Days Nursery at Poundbury.
HERE
He has been a busy birthday boy! :lol:

Thanks for the pictures, Skydragon! :flowers:
I hope Prince Charles will have a quiet, private party today, after the busy day!

Last edited by a moderator:
The Duchy of Cornwall publishes a sustainability strategy for a green development in Newquay, Cornwall

A site to the east of Newquay in Cornwall, known as the Newquay Growth Area, has been earmarked for development by the local authority as a way of meeting the future local business, housing, educational and health needs in a sustainable way.
The Duchy of Cornwall is the majority landowner of the site and is working with the local authority, to create a new urban extension of Newquay that will champion sustainable development environmentally, socially and economically.

I like the fact, that Charles visits certain projects and towns with foreign guests, like he did for example with Prince Albert before..:)

Here are two more additional pics from today, the first one is really nice - taken while unveiling a plaque to officially open Frederick Treves House the new medical centre in Poundbury - the second one as well as to his face expressions, like he was thinking: what are they doing there?! ;)

Pic 1
Pic 2

Thank you for the pictures Iceflower, the first one is a really nice one. :flowers:
I think Prince Charles and Prince Albert had also visited the Poundbury village - the Prince likes to show his model village to foreign dignitaries. With good reason - the village is really a model one. :)

HRH shows the Crown Prince of Bahrain around Poundbury

The Prince of Wales guided The Crown Prince of Bahrain and other leaders from the Middle East and America around Poundbury today.
Poundbury is the urban extension of Dorchester built to His Royal Highness’s architectural principles. Click here to find out more about Poundbury.
During the day, The Prince also opened a new medical centre for the town named after one of Dorchester’s most famous surgeons, Sir Frederick Treves.
The Prince created Poundbury to break the mould of post-Second World War development by mixing high density housing with work and leisure facilities.
Work began in 1993 on Duchy of Cornwall land and as Duke of Cornwall, The Prince of Wales - who is well known for his views on planning and architecture - took the opportunity to work with the council to contribute an exemplary urban addition to Dorchester, an ancient market town.
The development is now in phase two and three and is home to 1,100 people in a mixture of affordable, social and privately-owned housing, designed to be indistinguishable from one another.

I love the vision he has. In Lafayette, LA there is a similar "village", in the heart of the city no less, however it is not geared toward the middle classes. It's a charming idea and the Village at River Ranch in Lafayette is neat, much like Poundbury, still I think gearing it toward the working class is much better. WTG PoW!

Cat

'That bloody prince – what was he thinking with all this gravel?" Bill, a retired civil engineer, has only lived in Poundbury, Prince Charles's mock traditional town in Dorset, for six months, but he is already fed up with the loose gravel that covers the pathways throughout the development.

Poundbury: A town fit for a prince - Property, House & Home - The Independent
-----------------
The gravel is not new, so surely 'Bill the retired engineer' knew it was there when he purchased his house! :rolleyes:

It was billed as the new Poundbury. Backed, and partially designed, by Prince Charles, the 147-property village, with its faux Victorian houses, man-made pond and stream, was designed to be Britain's first village in a town setting.

Teenage drunks turn Charles's dream village into nightmare hell, say residents - Home News, UK - The Independent

Very sad but why didn't the residents do something about it before it became so bad? Is it a case of the children/drunks involved are members of the village or are children of the residents?:ermm:

Surely it is the PoWs fault that there is a problem with crime, and general youth disaffectation in the area!

Surely it is the PoWs fault that there is a problem with crime, and general youth disaffectation in the area!
If that was the case, 10000's of Town Planners everywhere, had better duck! :whistling::ROFLMAO: I expect the cold snap coming in will also be blamed on Charles!:D

If that was the case, 10000's of Town Planners everywhere, had better duck! :whistling::ROFLMAO: I expect the cold snap coming in will also be blamed on Charles!:D

Absolutely, as is the global econoimic situation!

I wonder how Sarah decides which community to "help"? Does someone actually invite her in to these places? Or does she play "pin the tail on the donkey" with a map?;)

Back
Top Bottom