King Charles and Queen Camilla

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BeatrixFan

Majesty , Royal Blogger, TRF Author
City
London
Country
United Kingdom
There have been several questions raised about certain events that will take place in the reign of Charles III. Firstly, will he be called Charles III or will he go with George VIII or Edward IX? Will Camilla be Queen or Princess Consort? But, for this thread let's assume that Charles and Camilla are Charles III and Queen Camilla.

The Coronation

Charles has already said that he won't wear the grand robes worn by his predeccesors. He wishes to wear his uniform as Admiral of the Fleet, with a mantle and St Edward's Crown.

Elizabeth II wore this;

and

So Charles will have downsized his outfit a fair bit, making it more masculine as far as I can see. What will Camilla wear? Well, she has a choice unlike Charles. It's been the tradition for the Queen Consort to wear white at her coronation. So, she'll most likely wear a long white gown with any Orders and Decorations, a mantle and a crown. But which one?

On the left is Queen Mary's Crown and on the right Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother's;

And she could wear either of them. She could also wear a small crown worn by Queen Victoria (and I believe Queen Alexandra at her coronation) ;

or;

Trooping the Colour

By the time they take the reigns, let's imagine Camilla is a Colonel-in-Chief. That means she'll have a uniform and could ride in the procession just as Princess Anne does leaving the older members such as Princess Alexandra to ride in a carriage. It hasn't been done before as far as I know, but what do you think?

The State Opening of Parliament

Well, Charles would probably wear what he wore at his Coronation with the Imperial State Crown instead of St Edwards. I imagine Camilla will also wear what she wore at her Coronation.

What do you think they'll wear? How will Charles and Camilla behave as Monarchs? What will life be like under Charles and Camilla? How will the Royal Family change? How will the older members adapt as they grow older?

Charles has already said that he won't wear the grand robes worn by his predeccesors. He wishes to wear his uniform as Admiral of the Fleet, with a mantle and St Edward's Crown.

Really? I didn't know that.

What a shame.

Charles has never publicly commented on what the ceremony for his Coronation would be like, so we don't know. Many of the traditions are symbolic and ancient, much like the State Opening of Parliament, so I doubt he will rock the boat much.

As far as Camilla (yes, she will be crowned Queen Consort), I would expect she will use the Queen Mother's 1937 Crown as it is very new and was worn only a few times. The George IV Diadem is not designed for a coronation ceremony and would not be used.

Charles has never publicly commented on what the ceremony for his Coronation would be like, so we don't know

Charles hasn't publicly commented however, he has made his feelings known in meetings of the committee that has been formed to make the plans for his Coronation and they in turn have made that element public specifying that Charles has had an input. He isn't going to change the ceremony of the Coronation - just what he wears. I think Camilla will wear the Queen Mother's Crown but I'd love her to wear Queen Mary's.

How could Charles wear a uniform as Admiral of the Fleet instead of the Grand Robes when he is being crowned Defender of the Faith and Head of the Church of England? That seems ludicrious to me.

I think she will wear Queen Marys or a new one. I love the Queen Mums but that crown is very much associated with her. It has a queen mum style. I like Marys because it is bigger and has more jewels. I think it should be used because it hasnt been used in a while. I dont think it is right for the next queen consort to wear the same crown as the previous. It needs a resting period. IMO. I wish Charles would wear the coronation robes. They are breathtaking and magnificant. They just put you under a royal and majestic spell. I think Camilla will wear a spectacular white ball gown type dress with a mantle, robe, orders and crown. Does the train Camilla will wear have fur on the edges. What color will it be. Or will it look like the Parliment robe. How long will it be. Also, when is the Queen Consort actually crowned. At what part of the ceremony and how is it down and what is said. And, is it before or after the King is crowned. Thanks.

Another Question, what is the crown at the bottom left side of the golden robes. It looks like a crown but it might not be.

How could Charles wear a uniform as Admiral of the Fleet instead of the Grand Robes when he is being crowned Defender of the Faith and Head of the Church of England?

I have no idea. I'd rather he wore the full garb but apparantly he wants to tone it down.

Camilla's mantle will be like the Parliament robe and will be made especially for her. I'm not sure how and when they are crowned but I'll have a look.

Another Question, what is the crown at the bottom left side of the golden robes. It looks like a crown but it might not be

Thats the State Diadem. The Queen wears it on the way to the Houses of Parliament and then swaps it for the Imperial State Crown.

You sure, im talking about the first pic in the series. The one with the coronation robes. On the left side at the bottom of the garment. You can see two golden arches but I dont know if it is a crown.

Ah! Sorry. Those are the Gold Spurs - I think.

Thank you. After looking at it closer it doenst look like a crown anymore.

arm mills

BeatrixFan said:
Actually they are the gold "arm Mills"... Leslie Fields, The Queen's Jewels

{deleted response to deleted post - Elspeth}
What is the history behind the state diadem. Was it ment to be turned into a crown.

Last edited by a moderator:
Princejonnhy25 said:
What is the history behind the state diadem. Was it ment to be turned into a crown.

George IV had the diadem created to be worn with his velvet cap of maintenance for his Coronation ceremony with another Crown designed for his crowning, but he had a dispute with the Privy Council over the floral design for his new crown, which they pointed out was inappropriate for a Coronation because the tradition was fleur-de-lys motifs. So, he had the floral designs put into the diadem instead and then never wore it.

Queen Victoria eventually had it reset with new diamonds and pearls in 1838 and it became one of her most cherished pieces. She left it to the Crown to be worn in right of it. Traditionally, it's been worn by Queen Consorts at royal and state occasions, but HM has only worn it at the State Opening of Parliament.

Good idea for a thread, BeatrixFan. I hadn't thought abotu what will happen at his coronation much, so this is very interesting.

I could see Camilla wearing Queen Mary's crown. (Not sure why, but it looks grand and I can just see her in it.) I have a rather silly question: Is Charles already Admiral of the Fleet? (Sorry if that sounds silly, I honestly don't know and was just wondering...) I'm curious to see what it looks like he'll wear since he, like you said, has already said he sin't going to wear the grand robes as others have.

Queen Marys crown looks more sleak and modern strangly. It is different and I like it.

Thanks "BF" ya little doll you. Great pics.

I dont think Queen Alexandrina VICTORIA'S small diamond crown will be used as I think it would get lost amongst HRH hair ;) :D I think they shall use Queen Consort Elizbeths coronation crown, myself.

"MII"

That crown is so small. It would just disappear in that feathery bushel on her head. If they made a new one I wounder what it would look like. Do you have a pic of the Golden State Coach they use at the coronation. Would coronets be made for William and Harry and other royals to wear.

If William and Harry have royal dukedoms by then, they'd have the relevant headwear already. If, by the time of Charles's coronation, William has been made Prince of Wales, there's always the coronet Charles used at his investiture as Prince of Wales. If Harry isn't married and Duke of Whatever by then, he may just go to the abbey wearing his army-related headgear and remain bareheaded inside the church.

Will Princesses Beatrice, Eugenie and Louise wear tiaras?

Beck said:

yes, is a very formal act.

I guess it would depend on when it is, Louise may be to young. Does anyone know how old Princess Anne was the first time she wore a tiara ? I know Norway and Sweden it is when you turn 18. Or since this is a coranation would she wear regardless of her age ?

Oppie-who is full of questions ;)

In the UK it's usually only married ladies who wear tiaras, but for a coronation they may relax that rule.

BeccaLynn07 said:
Is Charles already Admiral of the Fleet? (Sorry if that sounds silly, I honestly don't know and was just wondering...)

No, The Prince of Wales is currently not an Admiral of the Fleet, he will however inherit the title from The Queen upon his accession to the throne.

His Royal Highness currently holds the rank of Vice-Admiral in the Royal Navy.

va.jpg

StoneCold said:
No, The Prince of Wales is currently not an Admiral of the Fleet, he will however inherit the title from The Queen upon his accession to the throne.

His Royal Highness currently holds the rank of Vice-Admiral in the Royal Navy.

His full ranks are: -

Vice-Admiral in the Royal Navy, Air Marshall in the Royal Air Force and Lieutenant General in the Army.

Not bad!!!!:)

Beck said:

Assuming they are at least 18 years old, they will. That's usually the age a royal lady first wears one.

All princesses of the UK wear a tiara, along with their coronets, for the Coronation.

Elspeth said:
In the UK it's usually only married ladies who wear tiaras, but for a coronation they may relax that rule.

I didn't know that Elspeth! But don't the women and the men wear the coronets instead at the coronation?

There's a wonderful picture of the Connaught family with the Crown Prince of Sweden at the coronation of Edward VIII all holding their coronets.

BeatrixFan said:

Would Charles actually wear the spurs? I don't think Elizabeth II did but she may not have had the shoes for it. :D

I'm also interested in the Queen Consort's part of the coronation. Does anyone know about that?

I think its a shame that Charles doesn't want to wear the traditional robes in the Coronation if he truly doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom