Investiture as Prince of Wales: July 1, 1969

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Josefine

Majesty
Country
Sweden
His Royal Highness Prince of Wales: Investiture as Prince of Wales 1969

pictures from www.corbis.com

Attachments

• n.jpg
    n.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 700
  • n.jpg
    n.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 581
  • n.jpg
    n.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 660
  • n.jpg
    n.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 614
  • n.jpg
    n.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 622
  • n.jpg
    n.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 510
  • n.jpg
    n.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 486
Last edited by a moderator:

Attachments

• n.jpg
    n.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 545
  • n.jpg
    n.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 637
  • n.jpg
    n.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 582
  • n.jpg
    n.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 679
  • n.jpg
    n.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 548
  • n.jpg
    n.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 624
i think maybe will next Prince William will follow by Father then Prince Harry too i will agree it i think we have follow by his dad when Prince Charles was young get that ?

Sara Boyce

i think prince william only will be "crowned" prince of wales when his father becomes King, it will take a few more years before that happends

My word, Charles has brobdingnagian ears! Why didn't he ever get surgery for them? I say he has enough money if he can afford to spend millions of dollars renovating a house! Would Prince Harry become Prince Harry, Duke of York?

By the way, would Beatrice and Eugenie still be princesses after age 18? Would they become Lady Beatrice & Eugenie? They wouldn't be part of the immediate royal family after Charles takes the throne, though...it'd be Charles & sons.

They will remain princesses for life, unless they renounce their titles. That probably won't happen.

Remember that all of the Queen's cousins, the Duke of Kent, the Duke of Gloucester, Prince Michael of Kent, and Princess Alexandra are all princes or princesses and they are all royal highnesses, so just being a distant member of the family doesn't mean you loose you're titles and styles.

Investiture as Prince of Wales 1.7.1969
Polfoto 01-07-1969

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 1,283
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 1,387
has all of the princes of wales gone through such of Investiture

and did the queen do so when she was a princess

Josefine said:
has all of the princes of wales gone through such of Investiture

and did the queen do so when she was a princess

I think Charles was the first one to have a ceremony.

The Queen was never the Princess of Wales. The title has always gone to the first born son and the princess of Wales is his wife.

Edward VIII had a ceremony when he was invested as Prince of Wales; apparently he was very unhappy at having to get dressed up in his costume, which involved white knee breeches and stockings. At least Prince Charles was allowed to wear his naval uniform!

I think Edward VIII is the first modern Prince of Wales to go through such a ceremony; pretty sure Edward VII didn't, and George V was already an adult with wife and children when he was made Prince of Wales and had been Duke of York for years already.

Princess Elizabeth didn't go through a ceremony because, as Binky said, she was never Princess of Wales or Duchess of Cornwall in her own right; those titles are reserved for eldest sons. I gather that George VI refused to let her use money from the Duchy of Cornwall when she was Heir Presumptive on the grounds that it was only for eldest sons, not daughters, so Parliament had to provide other money for her. That always struck me as a bit mean of him since this was the wartime and postwar era when the country was very short of money. I hope he came to some arrangement with Parliament so that the royal family wasn't hanging on to all the Duchy funds AND expecting the princess to be given extra money, but I have no idea what was actually done.

Elspeth said:
I gather that George VI refused to let her use money from the Duchy of Cornwall when she was Heir Presumptive on the grounds that it was only for eldest sons, not daughters, so Parliament had to provide other money for her. That always struck me as a bit mean of him since this was the wartime and postwar era when the country was very short of money. I hope he came to some arrangement with Parliament so that the royal family wasn't hanging on to all the Duchy funds AND expecting the princess to be given extra money, but I have no idea what was actually done.

I never thought about it but it is a very interesting question. I wonder if the Duchy of Cornwall, when there is no Heir Apparent, reverts to a trust held by the Crown Estate. Someone has to manage those 100,000 acres while no
Heir Apparent is available. Maybe the Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh, as Princess Elizabeth and Prince Philip were then known, drew an income from the profits?

moosey60 said:
My word, Charles has brobdingnagian ears! Why didn't he ever get surgery for them? I say he has enough money if he can afford to spend millions of dollars renovating a house! Would Prince Harry become Prince Harry, Duke of York?

By the way, would Beatrice and Eugenie still be princesses after age 18? Would they become Lady Beatrice & Eugenie? They wouldn't be part of the immediate royal family after Charles takes the throne, though...it'd be Charles & sons.

Harry won't become Duke of York.

That title is already taken - namely by Prince Andrew.

As long as he is alive there will be no other person holding that title. It is his for his life.

If Andrew remarries and then has a son the title would pass to that son - the fact that the title Duke of York hasn't passed into the second generation since the 1400s is one of the interesting facts of history but theoretically it could.

Andrew's daughters will remain as HRH for life, unless they choose to give it up as that is what they were born and under the 1917 Letters Patent they are entitled to that status.

Currently the HRH's unhder the 1917 Letters Patent are the:

The children of the monarch - Charles, Anne, Andrew and Edward

The male line grandchildren of the present monarch - William, Harry, Beatrice, Eugenie and Louise (who isn't using it and there is some confusion about whether a press announcement is all that is needed to deprive her of the title or whether a specific Letters Patent is required)

The male line grandchildren of George VI - none as he had no sons

The male line grandchildren of Geoge V - Richard, Duke of Gloucester and his wife; Edward, Duke of Kent and his wife, Michael of Kent and his wife, Alexandra of Kent.

NB. only male line grandchildren not female line grandchildren which is why the children of Princess Anne, Princess Margaret and Princess Mary are HRH Prince/Princess - they are descendents through the female line.

chrissy57 said:
NB. only male line grandchildren not female line grandchildren which is why the children of Princess Anne, Princess Margaret and Princess Mary are not HRH Prince/Princess - they are descendents through the female line.
Yes. I think the Queen had offered Mark Phillips a title for the sake of her grandchildren through him, like she did to Antony Armstrong-Jones but Phillips refused and Anne obviously made it clear she didn't want her kids to have titles.

The Earl of Snowdon, who was responsible for designing the ceremony, has been reminiscing about it. Apparently he's unhappy that there are no commemorations for the 40th anniversary this year because he doesn't expect to still be alive for the golden anniversary in 2019.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/2009/0...f-prince-of-wales-investiture-91466-24038492/
http://www.monstersandcritics.com/p...ticle_1486812.php/Prince_Charles_upsets_uncle

http://www.theroyalforums.com/9151-investiture-of-prince-charles-as-prince-of-wales-1-july-1969/

Last edited:
PRINCE CHARLES has done “nothing but good for Wales”, one of his former aides said last night.
Speaking on the eve of the 40th anniversary of the Prince’s Investiture at Caernarfon Castle Alun Davies, a former equerry to the Prince, told the Western Mail Welsh organisations were “queuing up” to ask the Prince to be their patron.

WalesOnline - News - Wales News - ‘Prince Charles has done nothing but good for Wales'

WHEN Charles was invested as Prince of Wales in 1969, people from across the UK were eager to mark the occasion.

WalesOnline - News - Wales News - Music box was a gift fit for a prince

I would just like to say a belated anniversary to the Prince for yesterday.
And I really really hope The Earl of Snowdon will make it to the 50th anniversary because he deserves to see the celebration after the effort he put in to organise the event. :flowers:

Charles is a wonderful prince, and a wonderful man. William will have alot to live up to. :)

You're right, lumutqueen. I wonder if there will be an investiture for William if circumstances allow, or if he will just be given the title?

I believe Prince William will still have an investiture; however it is doubtful that his investiture is going to be a grand occasion like his father's. And it will probably be amid more protests and controversies than ever.

I also agree with lumutqueen and RoyalistRiley that William has a lot to live up to; Prince Charles was certainly a very efficient and hard-working Prince of Wales. Sadly, his eldest son doesn't seem to be all that interested in Royal duties, as long as there is a chance of spending a night in the club or party. For the sake of British Monarchy, I hope he will try to do more as soon as possible because from what I’ve seen and heard, the British people aren’t exactly too happy for the younger generation of ‘partying Princes and Princesses’.

...the British people aren’t exactly too happy for the younger generation of ‘partying Princes and Princesses’.
No we certainly aren't happy with a generation of party royals. William, Harry, Beatrice and Eugenie need to realise that there future will be hard no matter whefre they are. They need to start getting there act together.
And Marsel, I believe that Charles still is a very efficient and hard-working Prince of Wales don't you agree? :)

You're right, lumutqueen. I wonder if there will be an investiture for William if circumstances allow, or if he will just be given the title?

It is quite probably that William will have an investiture but as Marsel said, it might not be as grand and it will be amid more protests than there were last time. :flowers:

:previous: We will have to see if the Welsh are willing to accept another Prince of Wales at all, possibly in another 30-50 years time. I very much doubt it. :flowers:
---------------------end of reply
Frozen out by Buckingham Palace after he proved rather too forthcoming about his private life and that of his former wife, Princess Margaret, in Anne de Courcy's biography of him last year, the Earl of Snowdon looks unlikely to rehabilitate himself with the Royal family in tonight's Timewatch on BBC Two, which recalls the Prince of Wales's Investiture 40 years ago.

Earl of Snowdon attacks Prince Charles's 'bogus' Investiture - Telegraph

No we certainly aren't happy with a generation of party royals. William, Harry, Beatrice and Eugenie need to realise that there future will be hard no matter whefre they are. They need to start getting there act together.

I completely agree.
I understand they are young and want to enjoy their lives. However, they are also Royals; the styles and titles come with responsibility. I must admit, my idea of a Royal doesn't exactly correspond with an image of a drunken young man falling out of a nightclub.

And Marsel, I believe that Charles still is a very efficient and hard-working Prince of Wales don't you agree? :) <>

And again, we are of one opinion. :)
Prince Charles has been and still is an exemplary Prince of Wales; in fact, I think it will be extremely hard for any future Prince of Wales to surpass his achievements.

Frozen out by Buckingham Palace after he proved rather too forthcoming about his private life and that of his former wife, Princess Margaret, in Anne de Courcy's biography of him last year, the Earl of Snowdon looks unlikely to rehabilitate himself with the Royal family in tonight's Timewatch on BBC Two, which recalls the Prince of Wales's Investiture 40 years ago.

Earl of Snowdon attacks Prince Charles's 'bogus' Investiture - Telegraph

Well I don't know what to make of that article to be honest. :nonono:

I completely agree.
I understand they are young and want to enjoy their lives. However, they are also Royals; the styles and titles come with responsibility. I must admit, my idea of a Royal doesn't exactly correspond with an image of a drunken young man falling out of a nightclub.

Indeed. What Harry has done in the past will haunt him forever, he needs to start carving out a new image, a more responsible one. Beatrice and Euegenie do aswell, I understand they are at University now and the don't do alot of royal work but they can still scale back the parties and late nights out and certainly the risky fashion decisions sometimes. I know it's not likely but Beatrice could one day be Queen. As for William I think he needs to decide what he's going to do in his life, both royally and personally. :flowers:

princes william and harry

Sadly, his eldest son doesn't seem to be all that interested in Royal duties, as long as there is a chance of spending a night in the club or party.

marsel, i think you may be getting confused here, as i have seen more bad press concerning prince harry regarding such matters than prince william.

yets face it why shouldnt the princes let off steam from time to time and enjoy life whilst young, as in later years (esp william, he will be monarch) both will would find it a bit difficult to do so with all the duty etc involved of being senior royals !!. besides which both are only doing what youngters are doing on a friday/ saturday nights up and down the land !!.

and its nothing new is it. just look at the lifestyles of the sons of king george V, whilst young all loved the high life - night clubs, drink, drugs, women (and men it is said).

no in comparsion princes william and harry are :angel:s when it comes to the antics of the sons of the king.

i think on the whole we brits are happy with the princes and what duties and charitable work they both do !!!. ok on odd occasions they slip up and make mistakes along the way, well they wouldnt be human otherwise !!.

and considering what has happened throughout thier lives- the public breakdown of charles and diana. the death of diana and its aftermath etc. it is a wonder if they have not turned out worse then they have.
yes both are a credit to themselves, the royal family and the country.

my best regards jonny. :flowers:

ps. however i do feel that this discussion of "the party royals" is slightly off topic - which is the investiture of the prince of wales !!!!

Last edited:
has there been a wife to a prince when he gets Investiture as Prince of Wales
if so e´were there any kind of role for her in such Investiture

Back
Top Bottom