General News for The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall 1: Feb 2015-Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Charles and Camilla have been doing a lot during the COVID pandemic and it's lovely to see them doing this!

There was very real reason fo Charles and Camilla to depart for Scotland which no-one could of framed of. It's like team Windsor had the whole of GB covered with them in Scotland the Cambridge's sandringham and the Wessexes backing up HM.

It has given us an incredibly deeper insight into what they do and to be honest, more is being covered of all sorts of Royal Engagements.

We've seen more of the sunnier did of Charles and Camilla (and I wish I could rock a pair of jeans as well as she does). What has really tickled me though is that we are not swing them on holiday, they are still unwavering away doing everything that modern technology enables them to do.

What we are seeing is the before and after, the odd personal hiccup and the joy of seeing the dogs staking their claim if a little put out with the addition of the royal retinue to keep the show on the road even though nobody is going anywhere.

I was also thinking along these lines yesterday. Although everyone is "staying put" and there have been no public engagements and very few photo ops and royals out and about "doing things" in public, what we're seeing is a lot of what we'd normally call "behind the scenes" work that is carried out a lot of times with meeting and phone calls and planning and researching.

The CC seems to be almost as busy as ever. Its just that the way things are being done is in a different way with video conferencing, phone calls etc. Charles and Camilla have been able to do this all from where Charles seems to love to be the best. Scotland. Doesn't slow them down though. :D

Where there's a will, there's a way and no one can actually say any of the royal family are slackers. ;)

Ah shame Wales & NI are forgotten:p (I am only joking and as a Welshy I feel I can!)

From a purely practical safety point of view it makes sense having the sovereign and the next two in the line of succession as different parts of the country. We know some areas have been worse affected than others and so it makes sense not having them all in one part of the country. Likewise, if they (god forbid) all did get Covid and needed hospital treatment it means no one hospital would be treating them all.

It does surprise me a little that Charles and Camilla went to Birkhall as I would have thought they would have stayed at Highgrove as I've always seen that as theirs, well Charles' at least, main home. For W&K Anmer was really the obvious choice as its their only country home, likewise Windsor for HM as opening Sandringham or Balmoral up would have been a challenge.

It does surprise me a little that Charles and Camilla went to Birkhall as I would have thought they would have stayed at Highgrove as I've always seen that as theirs, well Charles' at least, main home.

I think at the time of lockdown we were approaching Easter, and Charles and Camilla always spend Easter at Birkhall if memory serves. So they were just doing what they would have done a week early, but haven’t been able to return.

I was also thinking along these lines yesterday. Although everyone is "staying put" and there have been no public engagements and very few photo ops and royals out and about "doing things" in public, what we're seeing is a lot of what we'd normally call "behind the scenes" work that is carried out a lot of times with meeting and phone calls and planning and researching.

The CC seems to be almost as busy as ever. Its just that the way things are being done is in a different way with video conferencing, phone calls etc. Charles and Camilla have been able to do this all from where Charles seems to love to be the best. Scotland. Doesn't slow them down though. :D

Where there's a will, there's a way and no one can actually say any of the royal family are slackers. ;)

Charles received a ton of criticism for leaving for Scotland; I’m glad that’s all but evaporated. I think he has a particular love for Scotland because he spent a lot of time with his adored grandmother there - plus, it’s just a stunningly gorgeous country.

I think you’re right that we’re seeing a lot of the behind the scenes work that the Royals do. I appreciate that they’re allowing us into their private workday for a bit; like an article I just read stated, they’re showing us a very relatable side of them.

I think at the time of lockdown we were approaching Easter, and Charles and Camilla always spend Easter at Birkhall if memory serves. So they were just doing what they would have done a week early, but haven’t been able to return.

I think you are correct, a trip had been cancelled so they went to Scotland earlier than originally planned. They are nearly always there at Easter anyway.
There was an attempt from certain quarters to suggest that he had fled to Scotland once he knew he had the illness without thought for the Scots.
I personally dont agree with that view.

Charles has always loved Scotland and Balmoral. Highgrove was where he lived, Balmoral where he holidayed and when his Grandmother died it was her wish that Charles have it, and have it He has!

The garden is only 'improved' on his childhood memories as now with the more casual snaps of both he and Camilla working there, there has been a renewed interest in the home by just about everyone.

Town and Country have done an article among others and there is l lovely photo PH Camilla talking on an actual telephone with one of the dogs standing on her with an "oi! we're supposed to be walking not nattering on the phone".

There's also a long suffering moan from William about his father's habit of letting Red squirrels come in to play chase with each other. It's obvious he's just as soft when he talks about tails sticking out jacket pockets as the retrieve the nuts left for them in the pocket.

I think you are correct, a trip had been cancelled so they went to Scotland earlier than originally planned. They are nearly always there at Easter anyway.
There was an attempt from certain quarters to suggest that he had fled to Scotland once he knew he had the illness without thought for the Scots.
I personally dont agree with that view.

You are correct.

Their visit to eastern Europe was cancelled so they had no engagements and decided to go to Scotland a week early - just as the Queen decided to go to Windsor a week early.

It wasn't until he was there though that he had symptoms serious enough to warrant getting tested.

Charles spends more time in Scotland than any other member of the family - about a month from Christmas to mid-January, a month around Easter, where they always spend that Christian holiday, and then two months in August-September.

Ah shame Wales & NI are forgotten:p (I am only joking and as a Welshy I feel I can!)

Charles has been in touch with the First Ministers of both countries - along with the First Minister of Scotland and the PM. The Queen has only been in touch with the PM and William with the PM and a couple of other ministers but Charles will the First Ministers of the devolved governments as well as Boris.

From a purely practical safety point of view it makes sense having the sovereign and the next two in the line of succession as different parts of the country. We know some areas have been worse affected than others and so it makes sense not having them all in one part of the country. Likewise, if they (god forbid) all did get Covid and needed hospital treatment it means no one hospital would be treating them all.

I totally agree and I wouldn't be surprised to find out that it was as much the government's decision to insist that either Charles or William were in Scotland to simply spread out these three people.

It does surprise me a little that Charles and Camilla went to Birkhall as I would have thought they would have stayed at Highgrove as I've always seen that as theirs, well Charles' at least, main home. For W&K Anmer was really the obvious choice as its their only country home, likewise Windsor for HM as opening Sandringham or Balmoral up would have been a challenge.

Interestingly Charles actually spends more time at Birkhall then he does anywhere other than Clarence House. At most he goes to Highgrove for the weekends over 8 months of the year (and probably more like six months) which would be about 64 - 96 nights.

He spends four months a year - or close to it at Birkhall - or about 120 - 140 nights a year.

He spends a week or so in Wales at his home there, weekends at Highgrove when not at Sandringham or Birkhall or in London or at Windsor.

The more I think about it, I believe Charles sees Clarence House as his residence when he's "on duty" and its his home for receptions and meetings and fund raising events.

He probably loves Highgrove but, as I see it, he could be seeing Highgrove as a "project" where he can work the land, landscape gardens and perhaps try different methods of growing things sustainably and organic.

Birkhall is probably where he feels he can just be himself, enjoy the countryside and actually have down time and relax among many happy memories.

There's also a long suffering moan from William about his father's habit of letting Red squirrels come in to play chase with each other. It's obvious he's just as soft when he talks about tails sticking out jacket pockets as the retrieve the nuts left for them in the pocket.

I love this. Any person that can be so caring about animals and actually interact with them and enjoy them is OK in my book. This tells me that Charles is a kind and compassionate man at heart. He's shown that in so many ways over the years.

Charles has always loved Scotland and Balmoral. Highgrove was where he lived, Balmoral where he holidayed and when his Grandmother died it was her wish that Charles have it, and have it He has!

The garden is only 'improved' on his childhood memories as now with the more casual snaps of both he and Camilla working there, there has been a renewed interest in the home by just about everyone.

Town and Country have done an article among others and there is l lovely photo PH Camilla talking on an actual telephone with one of the dogs standing on her with an "oi! we're supposed to be walking not nattering on the phone".

Good stuff! I dug up the recent article that referenced this - so adorable !

Last edited:
How wonderful !

The Prince of Wales will take to the airwaves next week and present a two-hour radio programme about his love of classical music.

Prince Charles, 71, will join presenter Alan Titchmarsh on Classic Fm for a two-hour interview at 8pm on Monday to talk about his love of live music and the impact of the coronavirus pandemic on performers.

The next day he will go solo to host his own two-hour show, selecting some of his favourite classical pieces performed by his musical patronages.

Among the pieces he has chosen is Richard Wagner's Siegfried Idyll, which Prince Charles previously revealed he had the Philharmonia Orchestra play as a 'terribly romantic' gift for Camilla on her 60th birthday.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...ent-radio-programme-love-classical-music.html

What a great cause !

Charles said, "If the last few weeks have proved anything, it is that food is precious and valued, and it cannot be taken for granted. This is why that great movement of the Second World War – the Land Army – is being discovered in the newly created 'Pick For Britain' campaign. In the coming months, many thousands of people will be needed to bring in the crops. It will be hard graft but it is hugely important if we are to avoid the growing crops going to waste. I do not doubt that the work will be unglamorous and, at times, challenging. But it is of the utmost importance and, at the height of this global pandemic, you will be making a vital contribution to the national effort. So, I can only urge you to Pick For Britain."

https://www.hellomagazine.com/homes...-charles-camilla-home-garden-birkhall-photos/

Charles' comments on 'Pick for Britain' would be more acceptable if we had a list of all his relations & friends who are committing to do this for the season. I'll bet there isn't one.

I like Charles generally but he lives on another planet to most people and his lack of self-awareness is showing here in bucketfuls.

Charles' comments on 'Pick for Britain' would be more acceptable if we had a list of all his relations & friends who are committing to do this for the season. I'll bet there isn't one.

I like Charles generally but he lives on another planet to most people and his lack of self-awareness is showing here in bucketfuls.
Wait, could you explain? I honestly don't see anything wrong with the campaign nor Prince Charles' comments?

Wait, could you explain? I honestly don't see anything wrong with the campaign nor Prince Charles' comments?

The campaign is necessary because the crops will rot if they aren't picked. We've built a system based on migrant pickers but they won't be here this summer (combination of Brexit & the virus). So we have to recruit pickers from the UK but at very short notice and from a workforce that hasn't shown any inclination to spend the summer picking crops for relatively low wages while living in a shared caravan or barn on a farm miles from their home/family. I understand why we need to persuade people to help but the people who should be doing the persuading can't be those who wouldn't dream of doing it themselves.

It's easy for Charles to stand in a field, calling on other people to pitch in but he won't have to do it & neither will any of his family or social set. None of my family or friends will be doing it either so how could I call on others to do what none of us would do?

Either do I. He’s asking for people to make a sacrifice - how is this any different from what other leaders have asked? I don’t see them ever having offered to work in factories - as an example during wars.

The campaign is necessary because the crops will rot if they aren't picked. We've built a system based on migrant pickers but they won't be here this summer (combination of Brexit & the virus). So we have to recruit pickers from the UK but at very short notice and from a workforce that hasn't shown any inclination to spend the summer picking crops for relatively low wages while living in a shared caravan or barn on a farm miles from their home/family. I understand why we need to persuade people to help but the people who should be doing the persuading can't be those who wouldn't dream of doing it themselves.

It's easy for Charles to stand in a field, calling on other people to pitch in but he won't have to do it & neither will any of his family or social set. None of my family or friends will be doing it either so how could I call on others to do what none of us would do?
Oh, okay, I understand your point of view now. I might not agree with it, but you have every right to think about it like that.

I think it's the mechanism as old as the world - it's just what "leaders" do. They ask people to work in a conditions that they deem unacceptable for themselves, to join the military, to sacrifice in different ways, while it's not something they would ever do. Government officials, celebrities, members of the royal family, and so on. It's just a way of getting the message to as many people as possible, because someone has to do it. And it won't be people like Prince Charles.

I actually don't see anything wrong with Prince Charles promoting this campaign, but I hope we can agree to disagree :flowers:

Either do I. He’s asking for people to make a sacrifice - how is this any different from what other leaders have asked? I don’t see them ever having offered to work in factories - as an example during wars.

It is actually a government initiaitive, Charles is merely lending his support.

Oh, okay, I understand your point of view now. I might not agree with it, but you have every right to think about it like that.

I think it's the mechanism as old as the world - it's just what "leaders" do. They ask people to work in a conditions that they deem unacceptable for themselves, to join the military, to sacrifice in different ways, while it's not something they would ever do. Government officials, celebrities, members of the royal family, and so on. It's just a way of getting the message to as many people as possible, because someone has to do it. And it won't be people like Prince Charles.

I actually don't see anything wrong with Prince Charles promoting this campaign, but I hope we can agree to disagree :flowers:

I'm always happy to disagree amicably. :flowers:

The people fronting this campaign should be actual fruit/veg pickers, who can say "Come on, it's hard work but we have social nights, barbecues etc. Here's a look at some typical accommodation for pickers. Here are examples of what you can earn by the end of the season etc." The age of very rich, privileged people asking others to make sacrifices is over. There are members of the BRF without anything pressing to do at the moment, perhaps they could lead by example?

Thousands will apply but at the last recruitment drive (a couple of months ago) 50,000 applied, 1,000 were interviewed & 112 were hired (according to press reports). I've read that the main reasons for not getting a job is inability to commit to the whole season or not able/willing to live on the farm. The fact is that we relied on a massive force of migrant workers to do this & now we're in trouble without them.

It is actually a government initiaitive, Charles is merely lending his support.

Very true.
Damned if you do damned if you don't.
Charles is used to it ...

'Tis daft it is with people making eco changes such as eschewing fast fashion only to get smacked up the head for not buying British who have exploited veritable slaves for pennies.

How many are going to accept the going wage for itinerant workers, or the hardships of no telly and often, no Internet? I think the cost of food is going to go up and many benefits tied to harvesting.

Same thing happened here when new immigration laws failed to allow for migrant workers. One berry farm I visited had had the same crew for 15 years.

For an unabashedly republican publication, I thought that was a particularly mild article.

It was rather. Quite a light-hearted mickey take out of the monarchy.

"Pick for Britain"... Well, we are living in capitalism, which is based on the idea, that anybody would do anything (legal), if just the money (wage) would be right.

So, I wonder, if the government will subsidize the wages here, because imho the most folks of Britain will not pick plants for cents.

And if so, I see nothing wrong here, quite the opposite!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom