The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-14-2021, 02:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
At this point in time, I think Charles' best solution is to practice a bit of tough love. With as much as he does love his son, I hope he realizes that right now, it's up to Harry to deal with and work out his mental issues. Right now, Harry is at the stage where he's playing the "blame game" and pinning his problems on everyone else and alienating people left and right as he's the "victim" and the solution is to eradicate the source of the problem. Out there. That rarely works.

There's a saying that "wherever you go, there you are" and this applies to Harry right now, IMO. I hope therapy with a good, accredited mental health professional can guide him to realize that if he wants to make changes, they have to come from within. He won't be able to heal things with his family until he can start healing himself from within.
I
None of this really should have ever been exposed to the public domain in the first place.
Tough love in a way wonít really be necessary as Harry is 6000 miles away, but to the extent that he can practice it, he will. I think he pretty much is leaving Harry to do his thing - as an aide is quoted above, Charles knows he wasnít perfect but he also knows he did his best. That sounds like a dad who takes responsibility for certain things, but not everything; I think Charles knows he canít help his son figure things out - maybe because he was in the same kind of situation. He had to realize on his own how much his parents loved him, that his father truly meant well...I suspect heís hoping that that will happen to Harry. If so, I hope it happens while Charles is still around, and not when itís too late.

Old 05-14-2021, 04:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Now I think its time to turn this thread back to news solely related to Charles and what's going on in his life. We'll probably never know about private interactions that go on within that family and I sincerely hope we don't.

Old 05-14-2021, 04:15 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
; I think Charles knows he canít help his son figure things out - maybe because he was in the same kind of situation. He had to realize on his own how much his parents loved him, that his father truly meant well
I don't know if anyone else saw the "Queen's cousins" programme the other night, with Olga Romanoff and Ivar Mountbatten, but Ivar Mountbatten raved about how brilliant Gordonstoun was and how much he loved it there. Peter and Zara have both said the same. I personally would have hated the place, and I can quite see why Prince Charles did, but Prince Philip wasn't deliberately sending Charles to A Horrible School. He'd been very happy there himself. It just wasn't the right place for Charles, but it was chosen with good intentions. I think Charles does realise that now.
Old 05-14-2021, 04:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
I don't know if anyone else saw the "Queen's cousins" programme the other night, with Olga Romanoff and Ivar Mountbatten, but Ivar Mountbatten raved about how brilliant Gordonstoun was and how much he loved it there. Peter and Zara have both said the same. I personally would have hated the place, and I can quite see why Prince Charles did, but Prince Philip wasn't deliberately sending Charles to A Horrible School. He'd been very happy there himself. It just wasn't the right place for Charles, but it was chosen with good intentions. I think Charles does realise that now.
Charles ended up being bullied at Gordounston, which tells me the people running the show did not do right by the students. I suspect it was different in Philipís day. Thereís no doubt he thought he was helping Charles as his experiences there had helped shape him..and yes, I certainly think Charles came to realize that. Ultimately father and son learned to agree to disagree...This current situation is not exactly the same as Harry seems to harbor a great deal of anger towards Charles that I guess no one seemed to realize was there. All Charles can do now is live his life, do his thing....and hope his son comes back to him emotionally (Iím not overly optimistic about that, for reasons)
Old 05-14-2021, 05:26 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I think some things from Gordounston stuck with Charles though. I seem to recall reading that Charles still takes cold showers as he was required to do during his years there.

I do think Philip's intentions were good to send him to the school that did a world of good for him. Unfortunately, Charles and that environment didn't mesh together very well at all.
Old 05-14-2021, 05:30 PM
Majesty

It was the wrong school for Charles, and I think that Philip while his intentions weren't bad, should have known that a boy like his eldest son was going to be bullied at a school like that. But I think he was something of a bully himself and thought it would be good for C to be toughened up.
Old 05-14-2021, 05:33 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Charles ended up being bullied at Gordounston, which tells me the people running the show did not do right by the students. I suspect it was different in Philipís day. Thereís no doubt he thought he was helping Charles as his experiences there had helped shape him..and yes, I certainly think Charles came to realize that. Ultimately father and son learned to agree to disagree...This current situation is not exactly the same as Harry seems to harbor a great deal of anger towards Charles that I guess no one seemed to realize was there. All Charles can do now is live his life, do his thing....and hope his son comes back to him emotionally (Iím not overly optimistic about that, for reasons)
You can, unfortunately, get bullied anywhere, even at schools that supposedly pride themselves on a nurturing environment. It was basically Philip's only home for many years, Charles hated it and so sent his sons to a completely different type of school much closer to home and other members of the family sent their kids there despite having gone to a school the opposite end of the country (Princess Anne). So life, as always, is a mixed bag of experiences.

I really can't think of anything Charles could do at this stage that would help and not become the subject of the next interview. Except pay for everything.
Old 05-14-2021, 05:37 PM
Majesty

I think that Charles left it to Diana to decide about where the boys went to school.. and she liked Eton as it was close to London and less harsh than Gord. He hated the place and didn't see any reason to inflict it on the boys but I think it was largely Di's doing that tehy went to Eton. (She might have chosen a less academic school for Harry though but when she died, it was flet better to keep him closer to his family adn his brother.
Old 05-14-2021, 05:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I think some things from Gordounston stuck with Charles though. I seem to recall reading that Charles still takes cold showers as he was required to do during his years there.

I do think Philip's intentions were good to send him to the school that did a world of good for him. Unfortunately, Charles and that environment didn't mesh together very well at all.
Philip came from such a different time, where to be a MAN meant to be tough, etc.. I recall reading recently - I think from Giles Brandreth, author of a new Philip bio- that Philip honestly felt that Charles needed to toughen up in order to get by in the world, which was a tough place. I suspect his childhood influenced many of his choices.

Charles seems like he was a great deal like Bertie, which is no doubt why QM had special bond with him.
Old 05-14-2021, 05:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
You can, unfortunately, get bullied anywhere, even at schools that supposedly pride themselves on a nurturing environment. It was basically Philip's only home for many years, Charles hated it and so sent his sons to a completely different type of school much closer to home and other members of the family sent their kids there despite having gone to a school the opposite end of the country (Princess Anne). So life, as always, is a mixed bag of experiences.

I really can't think of anything Charles could do at this stage that would help and not become the subject of the next interview. Except pay for everything.
I was bullied myself..not actually in school, but by a few nasty boys who lived on my street...usually it was on the school bus (one of them was a mean kid anyway, so...). A few years ago, at the first of several HS reunions, one of them apologized to me for how heíd treated me, and thanked me for not reporting him. I never thought to do that - mostly the boys just were mean, didnít do anything to me, and they grew out of it. I appreciate his apology - all the boys, fortunately, became really decent men. So anyway, good point ...

Charles also gave his sons the freedom he felt he never had....Thereís no playbook for being a parent - you do the best you can.

Iím afraid your last point is a good one...I kind of doubt that Charles and Harry will be speaking much, which might be a good thing. The updated FF will be....not good.
Old 05-14-2021, 07:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post

Exactly. One of the things that I feel was/is so cruel about Charles and Harry lashing out in public is that I do believe their parents did the best they could based on what they knew. Mistakes were made, but it wasnít intentional. (And itís rarely mentioned enough that Philipís own unstable upbringing obviously affected his parenting.)

I do think Charles sees that now. And itís lovely that he and Philip had the opportunity-to work through things. Hopefully, Charles and Harry will too. Thereís no telling what Harryís kids will say about his life choices and how they impacted them....he may in the future get a public reckoning of his own. Hopefully not. These things should be private. But- weíll see.
Old 05-15-2021, 09:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think this is a fantastic idea...

Quote:
The Prince of Wales is to open up the royal palaces when he becomes king, giving the public greater access to the monarch’s official and private homes.

Charles is planning to transform the royal residences from “private spaces to public places”. Buckingham Palace, Windsor Castle, Balmoral, Sandringham and Clarence House will all open more widely for longer periods of the year.

Charles, 72, has started consulting the Duchess of Cornwall, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and other members of the royal family about his plans to increase public access to the palaces while retaining them as homes. The Queen, 95, is understood to be aware of the plans. A royal source said: “The direction of travel is about greater opening-up of palaces and residences.”

A royal source said: “The prince wants to bring people in to connect with the institution. He recognises it needs to keep evolving, and in the modern era people want to be able to access their palaces. He embraces that and sees them as public places more than private spaces.”

A royal source said: “He will still do things at Windsor, but it won’t be his base like it is for the Queen, and he will look to open it up much further. When he’s in Scotland, he’s ensconced in Birkhall, and he wouldn’t necessarily see moving to Balmoral as appropriate or necessary.”

Balmoral, where the Queen is said to be at her happiest, is privately owned by the monarch. From April to July the public can usually access only three acres of the castle’s gardens, some of the grounds, and the ballroom, where the Queen hosts two ghillies’ balls. Charles is understood to be keen to open more rooms and the grounds for more of the year.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/k...ople-2gqdmc9xj
Old 05-15-2021, 10:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

Security would be a nightmare.

It would also be a case of certain areas open on some days and not others are they are being used or maybe the intention is for them to be museums and not used at all.

Sandringham is open now - except when a royal is actually staying in the main house so that bit doesn't make sense unless tourists are going to be allowed to walk through the house while the royals are also in residence - thus limiting the rooms that they will be able to use.
Old 05-16-2021, 04:29 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post

It would also be a case of certain areas open on some days and not others are they are being used or maybe the intention is for them to be museums and not used at all.

Sandringham is open now - except when a royal is actually staying in the main house so that bit doesn't make sense unless tourists are going to be allowed to walk through the house while the royals are also in residence - thus limiting the rooms that they will be able to use.
It is already possible to have a tour of Buckingham Palace during the Summer, when HM is away.( pre Covid ) These are huge buildings, it is possible to close off areas.
I am sure there are people still working in the private offices during this time that we never came across,
Old 05-16-2021, 05:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
It is already possible to have a tour of Buckingham Palace during the Summer, when HM is away.( pre Covid ) These are huge buildings, it is possible to close off areas.
I am sure there are people still working in the private offices during this time that we never came across,
I can see that security and privacy would be an issue, especially in the smaller houses like Balmoral and Sandringham, but with Buckingham Palace it would just be a matter of clever scheduling. In Sweden large parts of the Royal Palace are always open and has been for a very long time. Parts of the palace is closed off since they're often used for ceremonies and meeting and tourists aren't allowed near the part of the palace that houses the offices, workshops or other rooms used by the staff. In the event of some other rooms being occasionally needed they're just temporarily closed off.
The big difference between the Royal Palace and Buckingham Palace is of course that people live in the latter, but I'm positive that tourists wouldn't be allowed near the living quarters.
Old 05-18-2021, 03:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

I love this so much...such a lovely tribute to his dear papa

Quote:
Spot the difference! 🏗
Prince Charles today recreated an iconic image of Prince Philip from 1977.
ď@ClarenceHouse Almost 50 years on since his fatherís visit to the site, The Prince today commemorated Belfastís long history of commercial shipbuilding at @Harland_Wolff1Ē
https://twitter.com/rjmyers/status/1394696806831902721?s=21
Old 05-19-2021, 04:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

Prince Charles in this week's issue Country Life Magazine

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPDCvgPDWqg/
Old 05-20-2021, 09:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Charles has better buckle up, because Harry is coming at him with guns blazing.

He’s very likely taking quotes entirely out of context ..If Charles said this, it was probably him trying to get William and Harry used to life in the fishbowl. Harry is making it sound like Charles didn’t give a damn about his sons, as if he didn’t care if they suffered.

Quote:
“My father used to say to me when I was younger, he used to say to both William and I, ‘Well, it was like that for me so it’s going to be like that for you,’” he says in the series’ third episode, which centers around mental health treatment and recovery. “That doesn’t make sense. Just because you suffered, that doesn’t mean your kids have to suffer. Actually quite the opposite. If you suffered, do everything you can to make sure that whatever negative experiences you had, you can make it right for your kids.”
Old 05-20-2021, 10:54 PM
Courtier

Quote:

Heís very likely taking quotes entirely out of context ..If Charles said this, it was probably him trying to get William and Harry used to life in the fishbowl. Harry is making it sound like Charles didnít give a damn about his sons, as if he didnít care if they suffered.
In light of todayís BBC news, Iíll just wait for when Harry demands an investigation in Oprah because for her ďdeceitful behaviorĒ in getting Harry to do the interview and other projects
Old 05-20-2021, 11:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

He’s very likely taking quotes entirely out of context ..If Charles said this, it was probably him trying to get William and Harry used to life in the fishbowl. Harry is making it sound like Charles didn’t give a damn about his sons, as if he didn’t care if they suffered.
That is correct. But I can understand why Harry took it the way the quote suggests. ‘Well, it was like that for me so it’s going to be like that for you’ implies whatever he was specifically talking about is inevitable because of the way the monarchy operates and the sort of life that it imposes on senior members of the BRF. I can also understand why Harry would see it as desirable for himself and his own children to get away from that toxic environment. What I do not understand is why Harry still played lip service to being a part of that institution by accepting a peerage and a big expensive royal wedding and expecting his father to dole out money to him. That all makes him look hypocritical and disingenuous.