The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-11-2021, 12:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
The Prince of Wales has personally thanked staff who cared for his late father at St Barts Hospital.
He was on a visit to the hospital in the City of London when he met privately with some of the team that cared for Prince Philip when he was transferred for heart surgery in March

https://twitter.com/RE_DailyMail/sta...051682308?s=20

Old 05-12-2021, 01:13 PM
Administrator

The Prince of Wales has written an article for The Times to mark International Nurses Day:

** pow: An article by HRH The Prince of Wales, written for The Times, on International Nurses' Day **

Old 05-12-2021, 02:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post
The Prince of Wales has written an article for The Times to mark International Nurses Day:

** pow: An article by HRH The Prince of Wales, written for The Times, on International Nurses' Day **
Beautiful statement...
Old 05-12-2021, 05:34 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
Prince Charles has sent a video message wishing the Islamic community Eid Mubarak, and speaking about his involvement with the British Asian Trust and the Naz Legacy Foundation (which supports young people from minority communities). He's been involved in organising video interfaith Iftars involving clergy from a number of different religions. He works so hard to bring different communities together, and it must be very hurtful for him to hear allegations of racism made against his family.

He also rather poignantly spoke about how many families will have an empty place at the dinner table, and how that's how he feels after the loss of his father.
It is an excellent message, demonstrating that Charles has many developed much understanding and many qualities which will serve him and his country well when he is king. It is also delivered with great sincerity and sensitivity. It is well worth watching.
Old 05-13-2021, 04:56 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
It doesnít help that every few years thereís a Diana anniversary, we get new books, new tv shows, new movies....Itís creepy, to be honest. Think Charles has it bad now ? Wait for the new spate of productions making him look the villain, especially Diana: In Her Own Words part 2. Still, the public should know better; I donít know what more Charles and Camilla can do, sigh. When the Queen passes, I fear the public will not support them, and weíll see more active ďWilliam should be KingĒ outcry.
I very much agree to this. Beyond the son's longing not to forget their mother,
Using the public's emotions pro Diana for his own goals is a tricky thing because she criticised Charles aswell, so William should be careful.
It's one thing doing this privately with his family but giving it too much media attraction can hit back and looked more and more weird.
But maybe the statue is a milestone and things will calm down after it,
I mean she is dead for a long time now, was a very two-sided figure and I am guessing for historical matters Diana will not be considered a huge impact like any other constitutional royal nowadays.
But I am confident that William will be smart enough to find a balanced solution and suppress rivalry feelings towards his brother if those occur.
Old 05-13-2021, 05:45 AM
Majesty

I dont quite see what William has done to use the publics emotions to remember Diana. He has said that he would not be doing anything "big" after the 20th anniversary, and I think that he and probably Harry both felt upset at times that they were expected to talk about their mother and share their grief with the world in general..
So while they might join in small remembrances and there is the statue they weren't going to do anything major again.
In private I dont think they discuss Diana at all with the rest of the RF except perhaps their father...
Old 05-13-2021, 08:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by valeas View Post
I very much agree to this. Beyond the son's longing not to forget their mother,
Using the public's emotions pro Diana for his own goals is a tricky thing because she criticised Charles aswell, so William should be careful.
It's one thing doing this privately with his family but giving it too much media attraction can hit back and looked more and more weird.
But maybe the statue is a milestone and things will calm down after it,
I mean she is dead for a long time now, was a very two-sided figure and I am guessing for historical matters Diana will not be considered a huge impact like any other constitutional royal nowadays.
But I am confident that William will be smart enough to find a balanced solution and suppress rivalry feelings towards his brother if those occur.
I think Harry has been more guilty of using the memory of his mother to sway people - but that’s as far as I want to go in this thread.

I expect it to be brutal when the Diana tributes start flowing, and it’s why I hope to see more of Charles and William together, to show people that no matter what they think, Charles has the love and support of his oldest son. I know it won’t make a bit of difference to the British public, but I think he could use the support, especially after his father’s death.
Old 05-13-2021, 08:34 AM
Majesty

I dont quite see why William seems to be being criticized as he does not write books or do TV shows about his mother, and I think is increasingly eager to keep his memories of her private.. He may have had his issues with his father's treatment of his mother when younger but i think he's outgrown that now.
Old 05-13-2021, 09:03 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I think the most important connection that exists right now between Charles and William is the fact that sooner rather than later, William is going to have to step into his father's shoes as heir to the throne. As he's been preparing for this now for years bit by bit, I think it most likely has given William a good hands on experience of just what his father did and was trying to do and how hard he worked on it all those years when he was growing up and how Charles has redefined the role of Duke of Cornwall and The Prince of Wales and has left big footprints for his son to follow in.

Reminds me again of a quote by Mark Twain. "When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years."

As the years go by, the memory of Diana fades more and more into the recesses of history. This statue unveiling will most likely be the last really public "memorial" sort of thing that is done.
Old 05-13-2021, 11:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I dont quite see why William seems to be being criticized as he does not write books or do TV shows about his mother, and I think is increasingly eager to keep his memories of her private.. He may have had his issues with his father's treatment of his mother when younger but i think he's outgrown that now.
Um, I did not not criticize William.

Let me add that I hope Charles didnít listen to a certain podcast today, because I canít now see how heíll ever have a relationship with Harry again. I donít want to say more as Iím not sure if this would be considered more for the Sussex thread.
Old 05-13-2021, 11:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I think the most important connection that exists right now between Charles and William is the fact that sooner rather than later, William is going to have to step into his father's shoes as heir to the throne. As he's been preparing for this now for years bit by bit, I think it most likely has given William a good hands on experience of just what his father did and was trying to do and how hard he worked on it all those years when he was growing up and how Charles has redefined the role of Duke of Cornwall and The Prince of Wales and has left big footprints for his son to follow in.

Reminds me again of a quote by Mark Twain. "When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years."

As the years go by, the memory of Diana fades more and more into the recesses of history. This statue unveiling will most likely be the last really public "memorial" sort of thing that is done.
Disagree. Their most important connection will always be as father and son.
Old 05-13-2021, 01:09 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Disagree. Their most important connection will always be as father and son.
The father/son connection is a constant throughout life. Even estranged fathers and sons. Over the years though, a child sees his father in many different ways and each different way creates a connection (or a disconnection). Even with disconnections, they sometimes serve to enhance a better understanding and appreciation as time goes by.

As a child and a young lad, it would have been hard for William to know and understand and appreciate what his father's role entailed. He could have seen it, at the time, as being an "absent" or a "workaholic" dad (a disconnection). As William grew older, married and had kids of his own and started his path to follow in his dad's footsteps, he maybe appreciates Charles more but also realizes what the pitfalls are when it comes to kids. William, I believe has shown a wonderful sense of balance in all his roles so far.

The icing on the cake is the strong bond this forms between a father and his son that is even stronger as time goes by.
Old 05-13-2021, 01:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
The father/son connection is a constant throughout life. Even estranged fathers and sons. Over the years though, a child sees his father in many different ways and each different way creates a connection (or a disconnection). Even with disconnections, they sometimes serve to enhance a better understanding and appreciation as time goes by.

As a child and a young lad, it would have been hard for William to know and understand and appreciate what his father's role entailed. He could have seen it, at the time, as being an "absent" or a "workaholic" dad (a disconnection). As William grew older, married and had kids of his own and started his path to follow in his dad's footsteps, he maybe appreciates Charles more but also realizes what the pitfalls are when it comes to kids. William, I believe has shown a wonderful sense of balance in all his roles so far.

The icing on the cake is the strong bond this forms between a father and his son that is even stronger as time goes by.
This I completely agree with ! In fact, it clearly happened with Charles and his own parents....

William has achieved a lovely work-life balance..Of course it helps that the Queen is so long-lived, but heís found a wonderful stability that he didnít have in childhood. Charles has found that stability as well.
Old 05-13-2021, 02:15 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Um, I did not not criticize William.

Let me add that I hope Charles didnít listen to a certain podcast today, because I canít now see how heíll ever have a relationship with Harry again. I donít want to say more as Iím not sure if this would be considered more for the Sussex thread.
I really wish that Harry would stop going on about Charles being "trapped" and now Charles having "suffered". It is not for him to comment on how his father or anyone else does or doesn't feel about something. That's their business, not his.

And, yes, William seems to have found a good work-life balance. The Queen and Prince Philip didn't really have that choice, because George VI died so young, but I think Prince Charles accepts that now. When you're a little kid, everything's about you, but that changes as you grow up. That Mark Twain quote says it all!
Old 05-13-2021, 02:22 PM
Majesty

I'd imagine that both boys were more unhappy that Charles was not at home because he was with Camilla, when they were kids. He did try to spend more time with them as teenagers, because Diana had died.. but I think that the habits of workaholism were still there and he didn't spend as much time as he could have done. (and the queen and Philp were away in Malta when Charles and Anne were little and were left at home with their grandparents - because Eliz and Phil were of the generation and class that didn't spend a huge amount of time with kids)....
I think that as Will has gotten older, he does realise that his parents' marriage was pretty hopeless and blames his father less - recognizing that he was at fault but that he did try with the marriage. I think that he also feels that now that his father did do his best to see his sons and also work to try and help people... but Harry I dont know. Sounds like he hasn't forgiven Charles for neglect or infidelity, really....
Old 05-13-2021, 02:29 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I really wish that Harry would stop going on about Charles being "trapped" and now Charles having "suffered". It is not for him to comment on how his father or anyone else does or doesn't feel about something. That's their business, not his.

And, yes, William seems to have found a good work-life balance. The Queen and Prince Philip didn't really have that choice, because George VI died so young, but I think Prince Charles accepts that now. When you're a little kid, everything's about you, but that changes as you grow up. That Mark Twain quote says it all!
Harry is a good example right now of what I was trying to point out as a "disconnection". It stands out though that both sons grew up with the same father yet one finds a balance and appreciation and has learned from mistakes to "break the cycle" while the other one runs across the world away from it and sits there and rationalizes his actions. The contrast is staring us right in the face.
Old 05-13-2021, 02:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

It was far worse than that - Harry essentially accused Charles of mistreatment/abuse. He spoke of ďbreaking the cycleĒ - which you hear when referring to abuse. He spit all over his grandfather ...and grandmother. Unfortunately I expect weíll be hearing a lot more of this....itís 💔💔.

When Charles made those comments to Dimbleby, I suppose he was still that little boy who so desperately longed for his parentsí affection. Heíd focused for so long on the negative that I think he forgot all the good times, the love, etc.. Fortunately he understood that heíd been wrong, and he was able to fix his relationships with his parents ...That Twain quote is perfect !!
Old 05-14-2021, 01:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Charles is showing unconditional love for Harry, something I hope H will one day appreciate. As angry as I am, I donít believe itís my place to decide that C should cut his son out of his life as some in Twitter think he should. At this point, itís clearly not tenable for H and M to be even a small part of the BRF, but I canít blame Charles for hoping that, many years down the line, they might be back even in a small way.

Quote:
But the heir to the throne remains determined to find a way back into the royal fold for his wayward son and wife Meghan Markle Ė even if it takes years to broker a rapprochement.

Allies of the Prince of Wales concede the father/son relationship is currently 'strained to say the least', but they insist Charles is focussed on finding a long-term solution, not Harry's regular verbal missiles.

A royal source with insight of Charles' position tells me: 'The Prince of Wales knows he didn't always succeed as a father, but he tried his absolute best.

'Harry has been hurting since he was a little boy. It's not an easy situation. But Prince Charles would much rather his son be by his side.

'Of course, there is disappointment and sadness about the Oprah interview, and the relationship with Harry is strained to say the least.

'But Prince Charles, as the new patriarch of the Royal Family, is very aware of his future role and the need to protect the monarchy.

'An ongoing battle with Harry and Meghan in California is not conducive to that. At the end of the day, above everything else, family always comes first.

'The Prince of Wales would like to find a way to make Harry and Meghan included again, even though that is likely to take many years.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/a...arry-back.html
Old 05-14-2021, 02:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

At this point in time, I think Charles' best solution is to practice a bit of tough love. With as much as he does love his son, I hope he realizes that right now, it's up to Harry to deal with and work out his mental issues. Right now, Harry is at the stage where he's playing the "blame game" and pinning his problems on everyone else and alienating people left and right as he's the "victim" and the solution is to eradicate the source of the problem. Out there. That rarely works.

There's a saying that "wherever you go, there you are" and this applies to Harry right now, IMO. I hope therapy with a good, accredited mental health professional can guide him to realize that if he wants to make changes, they have to come from within. He won't be able to heal things with his family until he can start healing himself from within.

None of this really should have ever been exposed to the public domain in the first place.
Old 05-14-2021, 02:25 PM
Majesty

But Charles does seem to ahve tried to do tough love and to tell Harry that he had to man up and earn his own living..