The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-07-2020, 05:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

This is a really terrific article on Charles....thereís so much I could quote, but

Quote:
The first step was to bring Camilla out from the shadows. Once the most despised woman in the United Kingdom, she now sits at the heart of the royal family. The Duchess of Cornwall will never reach Diana-levels of adoration but has been largely accepted by the public and is one of the family's hardest workers. Polling firm YouGov says respondents describe Camilla as 'genuine', 'loyal', 'good-humoured' and 'down to earth'. That acceptance has its limits, though: a separate YouGov survey in January found only 16 per cent of people thought she should be named Queen when Charles takes the throne.

"She provides stability for Charles and she has given him confidence that he never had in his life before," Junor says. "He's one of the least-confident men you could hope to meet. His parents never really gave him confidence - he never really felt he was good enough for them - and Diana was not in a position to give him anything. Camilla has, I think, completely turned him around and made him a much happier man.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/...01-p54yif.html

Old 06-07-2020, 09:59 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
This is a really terrific article on Charles....thereís so much I could quote, but

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/...01-p54yif.html
Wonderful article...Thanks for sharing!!!

Old 06-07-2020, 11:19 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I honestly think that Charles has been the most unappreciated, underestimated, discredited and even mocked more than any other royal figure during my lifetime.

He's accomplished so much in so many different ways, has worked tirelessly and passionately on not only what is expected of him in his royal role as heir to the throne but also on his own passions which mean so much to him. He most likely will not have a long reign but it would take volumes to accurately detail his tenure as The Prince of Wales.
Old 06-07-2020, 12:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I honestly think that Charles has been the most unappreciated, underestimated, discredited and even mocked more than any other royal figure during my lifetime.

He's accomplished so much in so many different ways, has worked tirelessly and passionately on not only what is expected of him in his royal role as heir to the throne but also on his own passions which mean so much to him. He most likely will not have a long reign but it would take volumes to accurately detail his tenure as The Prince of Wales.

I'm glad some people who dismissed or disliked - or detested - him are coming around. For some, he'll always be the Devil, but so be it; I'm sure Charles accepted a long time ago that he would never really be popular. That hasn't stopped him from trying to do what's right.

Here's another terrific article from the Sunday Times. I could have chosen any number of passages to quote, but I chose this one because I think his statement is worth repeating. Charles is doing as much as he can as Prince now, not just because he believes in those causes, but because he won't be able to do that when he is King.

Can I just say how much I love the ZOOM of the BRF, lol?

Quote:
The prince often laughed off concerns about his passions — he once said he wrote letters to people “who pay no attention at all”. He seized the opportunity in a television documentary marking his 70th birthday to stress that he regarded the roles of prince and king as different. “You can’t be the same as the sovereign if you’re the Prince of Wales,” he told the film’s director, John Bridcut. “The idea, somehow, that I’m going to go on in exactly the same way, if I have to succeed [to the throne], is complete nonsense.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/n...king-fvq6s6j0v
Old 06-12-2020, 06:50 AM
Majesty

If Charles is half as able as King it will be no bad thing. This keeping out of politics is a joke. Even religion is Political and I know the main line are not supposed to be "Political" but at the time it meant Party Politics and showing public support for for a Political Party. Good heavens, who do you think inhabits the House of Lords back then!

Realistically every single issue has a Political twist to it, so much so that both Prince Philip's DOE Award scheme and 95% of what is now The Prince's Trust would have never been allowed to get off the ground today.

Poor housing - Political
Poor education - Political
Unemployed youth - Political

Etc.

Do you think either the Government or Defence Department were happy when Harry created a foundation to aid the physical or mental health of both serving military and neglected Vets? Hell no they weren't, it's one thing for anonymous people to lobby and be largely served up platitudes but not only was Harry a Prince, he was military and had served in the front lines.

Strangely, if I am not mistaken, HM was known to have "spoken" to the PM very succinctly about her concerns about the shocking shortage of effective body armour during the First Gulf War. And she was not the only one.

It was and is political and Charles nutty organic farming with old strains of seeds, work with maintaining strains of sheep, cows and beef native to the UK, etc. all things he was lambasted about but gee whizz who do you think helped reinvigorate and also represent the UK wool industry.

Artisans from his scheme to regain lost knowledge and skills are still working on the few historic buildings that survive the earthquakes here in Christchurch because the few we had left were to old to do such work.

Long may the BRF stay out of POLITICS.
Old 06-12-2020, 12:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Marg, love it ! Great points! Also, things that Charles cares about - like climate change, taking care of our planet, etc... are only political because people make them as such. Itís ridiculous not to care about issues that affect not just us but future generations. If I were British, I wouldnít want a monarch who didnít care ...
Old 06-12-2020, 12:11 PM
Nobility

Just announced by Clarence House : Their Royal Highnesses will undertake their first official engagement in person since the lockdown next Thursday!

https://twitter.com/ClarenceHouse/st...73367892328453

Quote:
On Thursday 18th June, The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will formally receive The President of the French Republic at Clarence House to celebrate the 80th anniversary of General de Gaulleís ĎAppelí in 1940.
Old 06-12-2020, 01:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektra View Post
Just announced by Clarence House : Their Royal Highnesses will undertake their first official engagement in person since the lockdown next Thursday!

Interesting. A French state visit to the UK was expected to take place before 2022. Now of course everything has changed , so it's maybe the only time President Macron will be hosted by British royals ...
Old 06-12-2020, 01:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektra View Post

Great news!!! Charles was probably champing at the bit, lol
Old 06-12-2020, 01:33 PM
Majesty

So, that also means that they will be traveling back to London (or did they already return?).

Edit: this was reported by SeaOttersPebble in response to the tweet:
Quote:
So i guess the RAF plane that flew in to aberdeen yesterday was picking up them both. Breaking Scottish lockdown rules again. You just don’t care do you.
Old 06-12-2020, 01:50 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

So Iíve googled this to try and find the answer and the only thing I can see is this

ďDespite an easing of lockdowns around the UK, people are advised not to travel between Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland.Ē

Itís from a guardian article on 3rd June. But the above isnít a rule, itís an advise only.

This also links in with work from home situation, I believe, which the royals struggle to do their full role from home.

What most intrigues me is that President Macron has been exempt from the 14 day quarantine rule we now have in place.
Old 06-12-2020, 06:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
So Iíve googled this to try and find the answer and the only thing I can see is this

ďDespite an easing of lockdowns around the UK, people are advised not to travel between Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland.Ē

Itís from a guardian article on 3rd June. But the above isnít a rule, itís an advise only.

This also links in with work from home situation, I believe, which the royals struggle to do their full role from home.

What most intrigues me is that President Macron has been exempt from the 14 day quarantine rule we now have in place.
Frankly, from a French pespective and considering the explosive situation where France is, on various fronts, this trip doesn't make any kind of sense ...
Old 06-12-2020, 06:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I can see where people will be chomping at the bit with this meeting at Clarence House between Charles, Camilla and Macron but in a general easing of restrictions this, to me, shows a "return to business as usual". I'm sure all precautions will be taken such as social distancing but it does seem to give us room to breathe that we are heading in the right direction. All is well if some public duties are being resumed.

One just has to take a look at Washington, D.C. as lawmakers return to business. I'm looking at Joe Biden on the TV right now with him having a black mask dangling from one ear. The mass gatherings all over though with no care to precautions though make me worry.
Old 06-12-2020, 09:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

I am sorry an in person meeting right now seems like a bad decision all around.

Yes business has to start to return to normal a bit. But there has to be precautions taken. Business travel should be limited to what is necessary and precautions taken. Like quarantine. There is nothing necessary about this meeting, nothing urgent about it. And for them to be ignoring all quarantine procedures, isn't a great look either.

People who have been reduced to having their business meetings having to be conducted by zoom will wonder why Macron and the POW don't have to do the same. Is there some urgent need I am missing for a face to face?

And yes, Macron is taking a bigger risk going into the harder hit UK at the moment. Hopefully he quarantines on his way home at the very least.
Old 06-12-2020, 11:23 PM
Courtier

We're in phase 2 now as well but there seems to be no rhyme or reason to what is open - it's totally random. I agree that Charles has been mocked and treated badly but now people seem to have more respect for him. Some things that people thought he did that was odd now seems normal and he seems like he was ahead of his time.
Old 06-13-2020, 01:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

This meeting betwee C&C and Macron will be happening on the advice of the government, it will not have been arranged independently. Any comments on this matter should really be directed at the government, IMO.
Old 06-13-2020, 03:50 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

According to Richard Palmer the Prince and Duchess will not be based in London but at Highgrove and Raymill. They will travel to London, and stay overnight if necessary.

https://twitter.com/royalreporter/st...935220224?s=21
Old 06-13-2020, 04:37 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
According to Richard Palmer the Prince and Duchess will not be based in London but at Highgrove and Raymill. They will travel to London, and stay overnight if necessary.

https://twitter.com/royalreporter/st...935220224?s=21
Thank you for posting this.

I guess Camilla needs some me time at Ray Mill, having been at Birkhall with Charles for all this time.
Old 06-21-2020, 12:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Charles posted these adorable photos..........love em!!!

Old 07-05-2020, 03:37 PM
Majesty

They were happy times I think, when he and his two sons all played for the same polo team.