The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-21-2020, 02:16 PM
Nobility

"Pick for Britain"... Well, we are living in capitalism, which is based on the idea, that anybody would do anything (legal), if just the money (wage) would be right.

So, I wonder, if the government will subsidize the wages here, because imho the most folks of Britain will not pick plants for cents.

And if so, I see nothing wrong here, quite the opposite!

Old 05-21-2020, 03:30 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
I'm with Lillyflo on this. Some things are best left unsaid. For a lot of us here in Britain his comments go down like a lead balloon.

Here's the Guardian's view.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...les-pick-fruit
Isnít the Guardian anti-monarchy? I saw it earlier, didnít bother to read it and wonít now.

Old 05-25-2020, 03:33 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Isn’t the Guardian anti-monarchy? I saw it earlier, didn’t bother to read it and won’t now.
Yes, the Guardian is anti-monarchy. The Guardian is anti pretty much everything British and pretty much everything American.

Prince Charles has been talking about the problems faced by theatres, concert halls, etc, which aren't likely to reopen any time soon.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52795691

Some smaller theatres have already said that they'll be closing permanently. Museums are also suffering: the museum where Henry VIII's Mary Rose lives has to keep the rooms at a constant temperature to stop the ship from disintegrating, and that's very expensive.

I'm not sure what Prince Charles can do about any of it, unfortunately, but he makes a good point.
Old 05-25-2020, 03:55 PM
Courtier

"Know thy enemy" as the maxim says.
Old 05-25-2020, 04:42 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
Yes, the Guardian is anti-monarchy. The Guardian is anti pretty much everything British and pretty much everything American.

Prince Charles has been talking about the problems faced by theatres, concert halls, etc, which aren't likely to reopen any time soon.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52795691

Some smaller theatres have already said that they'll be closing permanently. Museums are also suffering: the museum where Henry VIII's Mary Rose lives has to keep the rooms at a constant temperature to stop the ship from disintegrating, and that's very expensive.

I'm not sure what Prince Charles can do about any of it, unfortunately, but he makes a good point.
Hmm, as an American I should like that...but, I donít, lol. Itís fine to be Republican, but at least be fair. Charles is trying to do a good thing.

I read the BBC article earlier - thatís a real shame. I hope those theaters, any theaters, donít become victims of the virus. I believe Broadway is going to suffer also - prices are expensive, seats are very close and musicals are exorbitant to produce. I suspect more plays will be produced instead of mostly musicals.

I love this photo ! I spy George and the Queen Mum!

https://twitter.com/global/status/12...468919809?s=21
Old 05-25-2020, 05:30 PM
Courtier

Yes, theatres are going to suffer. I've often been to the cinema when there've been very few people there, but theatres need to sell out, and it's usually very crowded in the foyer and even in the queue to show your ticket on the way in, never mind in the actual seats.

I can see an NHS rainbow picture in there as well - presumably done by Louis!
Old 06-01-2020, 08:02 AM
Serene Highness

Great article on how an impatient Charles is preparing to get back to work:

Quote:
The heir believes his fitness - honed from his time serving in the Royal Air Force and Royal Navy from 1971 to 1976 - is responsible for him bouncing back from a bout of coronavirus after he was infected with the Covid-19 disease in March.

After returning to work the Prince heralded the virtues of ďhealthy body, healthy mindĒ and has now set about devising a roadmap for the family to return to business along with the Queen and Prince William.

The three senior royals have been holding regular video calls and are all ďraring to goĒ after spending recent weeks contacting charities around the country to offer their help in person ďwhen given the green lightĒ.

A palace source said: ďThe Queen has always maintained the family Ďmust be seen to be believedí and this is very much the core belief right now.

ďThey are all in regular contact over Zoom and FaceTime and have all instructed aides to be fully engaged in scheduling a return public business as soon as possible, but only when the time is right.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...efore-22116486
Old 06-01-2020, 10:27 AM
Imperial Majesty

At the start of #VolunteersWeek, The Duchess of Cornwall has thanked volunteers across the country.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EZbbJUFX...pg&name=medium
Old 06-01-2020, 10:29 AM
Imperial Majesty

The FE has 6 engagements for Anne listed (last week they had none for anyone) for June and to 1st July. It also has 5 that she won't be doing up to the 25th June.

There are none listed for anyone else but that isn't unusual for Charles or William as they don't believe that they should have their events listed on the FE. Charles will put up a couple each month but William doesn't use that.

The Queen, I doubt, will be doing any 'public engagements' for months ... i.e. those engagements where crowds gather.

I can see small groups being involved in things at BP or CH - maybe groups of 10 or 20.

I have read that all investitures for the rest of 2020 have been cancelled so it will be interesting to see if any are rescheduled or whether, as I said maybe there will be more of them but with smaller groups.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:14 PM
Heir Apparent

The Duchess of Cornwall has sent a message to volunteers at the start of #VolunteersWeek. Usually celebrated during the first week of June, whilst this year’s events have been cancelled, volunteers are being recognised for their efforts in tackling the effects of COVID-19.

As the proud President of the Royal Voluntary Service, HRH has also shared a video message for the charity's #VirtualVillageHall to thank the thousands of volunteers helping those in need, in hospital and in the community, as well as the hundreds of thousands of #NHSVolunteerResponders who are supporting the NHS during these difficult times. Over 250,000 tasks have already been completed, with 98% of requests being met within 24hrs.

Joining the team of NHS Volunteer Responders across the country, The Duchess of Cornwall, The Duchess of Cambridge, The Countess of Wessex & The Duchess of Gloucester have all taken part in ‘check-in and chat’ calls with those self-isolating, vulnerable or elderly.

The scheme is being delivered by the Royal Voluntary Service, who have continued to provide their regular voluntary activity. The charity’s hundreds of social clubs and groups are unable to meet during this time so the Virtual Village Hall programme is designed to bring people together online, to enjoy activities at the same time.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBritishM...2411237438296/
Old 06-01-2020, 12:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think we may soon start to see some of the royals going 'out and about' again as restrictions are eased. The Household always want to be seen to follow government advice and the government seems to be trying to encourage people to get back to some level of normality whist still being careful, thus is makes sense for the royals to do the same. Whilst being mindful of still setting a good example.

While it may be some time until we see events with any large number of people, visits to those helping with the national effort will probably begin along with a number of low key visits to charities and audiences with very small groups (2 -5 people).
Old 06-02-2020, 07:59 PM
Serene Highness

How adorable is this special invitation for Prince Charles to his mother's coronation?!

https://people.com/royals/prince-cha...th-coronation/
Old 06-03-2020, 01:51 AM
Imperial Majesty

Cute invitation

Boy was he bored at the coronation, though at his age no surprise. He did seem happier on the balcony later. As an adult looking back he would be proud to have been there. But part of him as a 4 year old likely wondered why he couldn't stay home and play.
Old 06-03-2020, 02:35 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Cute invitation

Boy was he bored at the coronation, though at his age no surprise. He did seem happier on the balcony later. As an adult looking back he would be proud to have been there. But part of him as a 4 year old likely wondered why he couldn't stay home and play.
That photo of him bored to tears is precious, lol - and, completely understandable. I'll bet he tried to get his grandmother's attention but, having failed, just gave up. I wonder how old Charles was when he was told that he would be king one day.....
Old 06-04-2020, 04:51 PM
Serene Highness

Wow, Charles is really emotional....

Iím lucky enough to be with my parents at this time, but I feel for him- that was a deeply personal revelation for him, and something everyone can identify with...

https://twitter.com/skyrhiannon/stat...198833158?s=21
Old 06-04-2020, 05:11 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

It's nice to see Charles present such a raw and genuine picture of himself in lockdown. We have mostly seen, from official photos, someone who is enjoying being in a large space, but this interview presents a completely different picture that will resonate with a lot of us - even if we don't have a large outdoor space to be in during lockdown.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 06-04-2020, 05:27 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
It's nice to see Charles present such a raw and genuine picture of himself in lockdown. We have mostly seen, from official photos, someone who is enjoying being in a large space, but this interview presents a completely different picture that will resonate with a lot of us - even if we don't have a large outdoor space to be in during lockdown.

Thatís exactly it - Charles is a father, son, brother, grandfather, not just Prince of Wales, heir to the throne. Heís missing his family deeply, just like everyone is - all the luxuries heís got canít replace hugging his father, or anyone else he loves. Who canít relate to him ?
Old 06-04-2020, 06:01 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Thatís exactly it - Charles is a father, son, brother, grandfather, not just Prince of Wales, heir to the throne. Heís missing his family deeply, just like everyone is - all the luxuries heís got canít replace hugging his father, or anyone else he loves. Who canít relate to him ?
Probably people who are self-isolating with their family and all the poor souls want is peace and quiet? (That's a joke, of course!, but I wanted to acknowledge that the lockdown can be hard on family and relationships in more ways than one.)
Old 06-05-2020, 03:09 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Wow, Charles is really emotional....

Iím lucky enough to be with my parents at this time, but I feel for him- that was a deeply personal revelation for him, and something everyone can identify with...

https://twitter.com/skyrhiannon/stat...198833158?s=21
It is interesting how Charles, Camilla, William and Catherine are revealing small snippets of themselves in the various media and other interactions they are having these days. My guess is that they were probably always like this in their one on one interactions at royal engagements, but because this is all on vide now, we get to see it regularly.
Old 06-05-2020, 04:09 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
It is interesting how Charles, Camilla, William and Catherine are revealing small snippets of themselves in the various media and other interactions they are having these days. My guess is that they were probably always like this in their one on one interactions at royal engagements, but because this is all on vide now, we get to see it regularly.
I think so. We also only ever see them together in public, never private. Moreover, while they donít necessarily see each other all the time, at least they know they can. In this situation, they canít - and who knows when that will change? I suspect Charles is worried about his father, who is nearing 99, and hasnít been in the best of health. Down deep he must be worried that if something happens to him, he wonít have seen or hugged him for a long time. I think people all over the world are feeling the same thing - and itís scary because the devastating nature of the virus means that people are losing loved ones without being able to say goodbye. Iím not saying Philip might get the virus, just that when you have an elderly parent, you want to be able to be with them in case anything should happen.