General News for The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall 1: Feb 2015-Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He has accompanied The Queen for most of the past decade even when Philip was still taking part. Since about the time of the Diamond Jubilee often with Camilla. It was the four of them until Philip retired and then just the three of them other than the couple of cut down State Openings when it was just The Queen and Charles.

Seeing Charles by his mother’s side at the opening of Parliament will be so moving and emotional; he’ll literally be filling in for his father...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/14754486/prince-charles-accompanying-queen-state-opening-parliament/

I think ever since 2017, few months before Prince Philip retired in August, Charles has been next to The Queen for the State Opening of Parliament

I think 2016 was the last State Opening of Parliament that Philip was next to The Queen.

Not sure if tehre was an opening of Parliament last year due to covid....

No, there was no State Opening of Parliament in 2020 due to COVID-19. There was also no State Opening in 2018 mainly due to Brexit. Going further back, there was also no State Opening of Parliament in 2011.

There were two State Opening in 2019 (October and December), because of the 2019's General Elections.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...speech-push-through-brexit-laws-a7795541.html

I’m sure Charles will do a fine job...this is right up his alley

The Duke of York’s fall from grace was underlined yesterday when the Prince of Wales took over from his younger brother as patron of the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra as it prepares to mark its 75th anniversary.

When Andrew lost the patronage of the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra (RPO), it issued a notably blunt statement saying the board had decided that “the orchestra should part company with its patron with immediate effect”.

Charles, who is well known as a classical music lover, repeatedly stressed the importance of protecting the arts during the pandemic.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...ge-as-brother-andrew-left-sidelined-mgmpzwp72

Prince Charles has given his backing to the British Asian Trust, which he helped to found in 2007, in its efforts to help with the situation in India.

Sometimes I think someone should check Charles' fingers. He has his fingers in a whole lot of pies these days. The kicker for me is that he actually has an interest and gets involved in all of them. He's not the kind of guy to just be a figurehead. He has really raised the bar when it comes to being The Prince of Wales. :D

He has accompanied The Queen for most of the past decade even when Philip was still taking part. Since about the time of the Diamond Jubilee often with Camilla. It was the four of them until Philip retired and then just the three of them other than the couple of cut down State Openings when it was just The Queen and Charles.

If he is the Queen's 'consort,' does that mean he will walk beside her, as Philip used to do, rather than following behind her.

Prince Charles has given his backing to the British Asian Trust, which he helped to found in 2007, in its efforts to help with the situation in India.

He does so many good things...

This was part of The Queen's 90th birthday videos - not sure which one as there were a couple but certainly these videos were released then. I believe the Queen actually took the footage.

This was part of The Queen's 90th birthday videos - not sure which one as there were a couple but certainly these videos were released then. I believe the Queen actually took the footage.

You can see at the beginning, in tiny letters, that it's from Elizabeth at 90.......

I love such home movies - you remember watching them that, despite everything, they are still just a family. I love how the Queen points out that, back then, Charles didn't mind the prickly grass, lol

That beach is in Norfolk, near my old home! It a rather cold and windswept beach for most of the year actually, not the greatest for running around in bathing suits.

I read that’s the same beach the Cambridge’s took those home movies on...

Thanks so much for sharing this - do you have access to it? It is behind a paywall. Thanks in advance if you can share:flowers:

I'd gladly post, but I'm not sure we're allowed to post the entire article? If we are, I will. Mods?

Here's part of it, though

On Radio 4’s Woman’s Hour last year, the Duchess spoke of longing to hug her grandchildren again. Now that things have started to open up a little more, has she been able to do that?

“I have been able to,” she says, brightening. “I have had a hug. I am doubly jabbed so, umm, we’ve had a sort of half hug.

“It’s been so lovely just to be able to see them again and talk to them. You know, telephones and machines and these Zooms are fine, but nothing’s ever the same as being able to give somebody a good hug. I’m waiting for the final date when we can actually go into each other’s homes, to be able to sit down and have a proper lunch and, you know, just have a proper life again.

“I think we’ll all be absolutely thrilled to be together with our grandchildren again. I mean just to be able to go and collect them from school would be so nice instead of waving from miles away…”

After her first ever refuge visit in 2016 with SafeLives, the charity of which she is now patron, photographs of a weeping Duchess were beamed around the world. She recently commented that what she heard that day “still gives me nightmares”. Did she mean that literally?

“I literally do. I remember going back and shutting my eyes and trying to go to sleep and I just couldn’t, because it was all going round and round in my head: how can those things be happening and yet the majority of people not know about it?” she says. “I felt so helpless.”(..)

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's another great article by Victoria Arbiter..........

Charles and Camilla are constantly forced to pay the price of their choices; nothing they do is ever good enough to atone in the eyes of the public. Camilla should be Queen; the public shouldn’t get to decide that their hate is more important than precedence. They don’t have to love Camilla, but move on already.

2017 was rough on Charles - I almost wish William would make a statement supporting his father when the worst starts to happen (the roll out of Diana
schtick). Even if not a formal statement, I think his father could really use it.

In an interview for The Times a spokesperson said, "The intention is for the Duchess to be known as Princess Consort. This was announced at the time of the marriage and there has been absolutely no change at all." While Camilla likely loses little sleep over the matter, Charles is acutely aware their unique situation demands precedent be rejigged. 'Princess Consort' represents an effective compromise, but on reflection it also reads like an admission of guilt. A constant reminder of the wrongdoing that lead to their union, there's a negative connotation to a title invented purely to avoid public ire. After sixteen years it's an unnecessary concession.

Following their marriage, Charles and Camilla acknowledged their "sins and wickedness" during a service of prayer and dedication conducted by the Archbishop of Canterbury at St. George's Chapel, Windsor. Eschewing more modern prayers scribed for divorcees, they opted to recite the act of penitence from the 1662 Book of Common Prayer. Written by Thomas Cranmer, Henry VIII's Archbishop of Canterbury, the confessional's considered to be the strongest act of penitence within the Church of England.

Though they're imperfect beings, members of the Royal Family are expected to live to a higher moral standard than us regular folk. (..)

https://honey.nine.com.au/royals/vi...n-theory/1584c5c8-e258-4624-b618-bb6d270fc47b

Last edited by a moderator:
:britflag:
Here's another great article by Victoria Arbiter..........

Charles and Camilla are constantly forced to pay the price of their choices; nothing they do is ever good enough to atone in the eyes of the public. Camilla should be Queen; the public shouldn’t get to decide that their hate is more important than precedence. They don’t have to love Camilla, but move on already.

2017 was rough on Charles - I almost wish William would make a statement supporting his father when the worst starts to happen (the roll out of Diana
schtick). Even if not a formal statement, I think his father could really use it.

https://honey.nine.com.au/royals/vi...n-theory/1584c5c8-e258-4624-b618-bb6d270fc47b
Thanks so much for sharing this article that included information about prayers at their wedding. This is the prayer of penitence (general confession) from the 1662 Book of Common Prayer that they used - see below.

ALMIGHTY and most merciful Father, We have erred, and strayed from thy ways like lost sheep, We have followed too much the devices and desires of our own hearts, We have offended against thy holy laws, We have left undone those things which we ought to have done, And we have done those things which we ought not to have done, And there is no health in us: But thou, O Lord, have mercy upon us miserable offenders; Spare thou them, O God, which confess their faults, Restore thou them that are penitent, According to thy promises declared unto mankind in Christ Jesu our Lord: And grant, O most merciful Father, for his sake, That we may hereafter live a godly, righteous, and sober life, To the glory of thy holy Name. Amen.

:britflag:
Thanks so much for sharing this article that included information about prayers at their wedding. This is the prayer of penitence (general confession) from the 1662 Book of Common Prayer that they used - see below.

ALMIGHTY and most merciful Father, We have erred, and strayed from thy ways like lost sheep, We have followed too much the devices and desires of our own hearts, We have offended against thy holy laws, We have left undone those things which we ought to have done, And we have done those things which we ought not to have done, And there is no health in us: But thou, O Lord, have mercy upon us miserable offenders; Spare thou them, O God, which confess their faults, Restore thou them that are penitent, According to thy promises declared unto mankind in Christ Jesu our Lord: And grant, O most merciful Father, for his sake, That we may hereafter live a godly, righteous, and sober life, To the glory of thy holy Name. Amen.

You’re welcome, and thank you for posting the prayer - I didn’t know that C and C had done that....

Would it make a difference to you if Mr.Parker-Bowles had then passed away?
I am asking because f.e. in catholic church a widower is allowed to become a priest, because there is no longer a partner to make a claim.
I think it is not really relevant for royal titles, but interesting as the discussion usually leaves Camilla's first husband out, he has been betrayed as well as Diana and is still alive.
Maybe the wrong thread, just answered to a post above concerning consort/queen, sorry if it bothers a mod.

I think it is not really relevant for royal titles, but interesting as the discussion usually leaves Camilla's first husband out, he has been betrayed as well as Diana and is still alive.

I wouldn't feel too sorry for Andrew Parker-Bowles. He was seeing other women behind Camilla's back whilst they were dating, and had numerous affairs whilst they were married, including affairs with several women whom she thought were her close friends. It was the sort of marriage that, whilst it seems shocking to most people, was common amongst the upper-classes in late Victorian and Edwardian times - once two legitimate children had been produced, both partners were free to have affairs with anyone else they liked.

Andrew and Camilla seem to get on very well, which, given that they've got children and grandchildren together, is nice, and I don't think either of them feels any bitterness towards the other for having been unfaithful.

Last edited:
I wouldn't feel too sorry for Andrew Parker-Bowles. He was seeing other women behind Camilla's back whilst they were dating, and had numerous affairs whilst they were married, including affairs with several women whom she thought were her close friends. It was the sort of marriage that, whilst it seems shocking to most people, was common amongst the upper-classes in late Victorian and Edwardian times - once two legitimate children had been produced, both partners were free to have affairs with anyone else they liked.

Andrew and Camilla seem to get on very well, which, given that they've got children and grandchildren together, is nice, and I don't think either of them feels any bitterness towards the other for having been unfaithful.

Louis (Uncle Dickie) and Edwina Mountbatten is a good example also of the upper class "open" marriage. It wasn't something scandalous among that set but as society changed, it raised the eyebrows of mainstream society.

Both Charles and Camilla have earned my utmost respect in how they conduct and fulfill their lives together and theirs is a marriage that works. That's what matters to me. They shouldn't be punished for finding happiness together. Camilla has more than earned her place as consort for Charles and has not put a foot wrong anywhere since she's taken on a public role. The Queen recognizes this and I wish the rest of the world would too. ?

:previous: I agree wholeheartedly and, somehow believe that the laws of succession will, in spite of the loud minority, be upheld. I find myself looking at those who are internet savvy and find their term "haters" very apropos to the situation re the succession. I find it hard to comprehend the deep and abiding hatred some still harbour toward Charles and Camilla.

Very few had ever seen Diana yet alone met her and almost none actually knew her as a friend or even acquaintance and yet they have revered her in such a way that is closer to that of the Saints in the Roman Catholic Church, IMHO totally OTT. Hate is a pernicious emotion, it scours the soul and warps the lens through which we view life. It sucks the life from one and yet it is a living, toxic emotion played out on the internet and a few gossip rags and there is no health in it.

Both Charles and Camilla have worked hard for both the UK and the Commonwealth and have supported the Crown unfailingly following the behest of the government to tour foreign countries on UK Charm Offensive which, regardless of which royal family is either visiting or visited, is what makes them such an asset.

:previous: I agree wholeheartedly and, somehow believe that the laws of succession will, in spite of the loud minority, be upheld. I find myself looking at those who are internet savvy and find their term "haters" very apropos to the situation re the succession. I find it hard to comprehend the deep and abiding hatred some still harbour toward Charles and Camilla.

Very few had ever seen Diana yet alone met her and almost none actually knew her as a friend or even acquaintance and yet they have revered her in such a way that is closer to that of the Saints in the Roman Catholic Church, IMHO totally OTT. Hate is a pernicious emotion, it scours the soul and warps the lens through which we view life. It sucks the life from one and yet it is a living, toxic emotion played out on the internet and a few gossip rags and there is no health in it.

Both Charles and Camilla have worked hard for both the UK and the Commonwealth and have supported the Crown unfailingly following the behest of the government to tour foreign countries on UK Charm Offensive which, regardless of which royal family is either visiting or visited, is what makes them such an asset.

It doesn’t help that every few years there’s a Diana anniversary, we get new books, new tv shows, new movies....It’s creepy, to be honest. Think Charles has it bad now ? Wait for the new spate of productions making him look the villain, especially Diana: In Her Own Words part 2. Still, the public should know better; I don’t know what more Charles and Camilla can do, sigh. When the Queen passes, I fear the public will not support them, and we’ll see more active “William should be King” outcry.

Prince Charles has sent a video message wishing the Islamic community Eid Mubarak, and speaking about his involvement with the British Asian Trust and the Naz Legacy Foundation (which supports young people from minority communities). He's been involved in organising video interfaith Iftars involving clergy from a number of different religions. He works so hard to bring different communities together, and it must be very hurtful for him to hear allegations of racism made against his family.

He also rather poignantly spoke about how many families will have an empty place at the dinner table, and how that's how he feels after the loss of his father.

Prince Charles has sent a video message wishing the Islamic community Eid Mubarak, and speaking about his involvement with the British Asian Trust and the Naz Legacy Foundation (which supports young people from minority communities). He's been involved in organising video interfaith Iftars involving clergy from a number of different religions. He works so hard to bring different communities together, and it must be very hurtful for him to hear allegations of racism made against his family.

He also rather poignantly spoke about how many families will have an empty place at the dinner table, and how that's how he feels after the loss of his father.

I was just about to post about this....It reminds me of that song from Les Mis, “Empty Chairs at Empty Tables”.... No matter that Philip was 99, by all accounts a very long life - to a child (no matter how old) or loved one, nothing is ever long enough..

One of the women Andrew Parker-Bowles was dating while also dating Camilla was Princess Anne.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom