The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-29-2020, 04:50 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I read that the redness and swelling appearance of Charles's hands also stems from historical cases of hemophilia in Queen Victoria's children, though I could be incorrect.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 03-29-2020, 05:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

Pain in the joints is a symptom of hemophilia, but swelling not really.

While the family has a history of hemophilia, for his swelling to be caused by the family history, he would have to have the disease. Men can not be a carrier, they either suffer from it or not. Its a recessive x chromosome disease. Men only have one X chromosome, so if they carry the gene, they will have the disease. Women have two x chromosomes, so they can be a carrier without suffering from the disease. The only way a woman would have it, is if her dad was a sufferer of the disease, and her mother a carrier.

We would know if Charles had hemophilia.

There is acquired hemophilia, which usually found in seniors, and can cause swelling. But its not the same as the hemophilia found in the royal family.

Old 03-29-2020, 05:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Pain in the joints is a symptom of hemophilia, but swelling not really.

While the family has a history of hemophilia, for his swelling to be caused by the family history, he would have to have the disease. Men can not be a carrier, they either suffer from it or not. Its a recessive x chromosome disease. Men only have one X chromosome, so if they carry the gene, they will have the disease. Women have two x chromosomes, so they can be a carrier without suffering from the disease. The only way a woman would have it, is if her dad was a sufferer of the disease, and her mother a carrier.

We would know if Charles had hemophilia.

There is acquired hemophilia, which usually found in seniors, and can cause swelling. But its not the same as the hemophilia found in the royal family.
He hasn't got haemophilia. And as has been said, he had fat fingers as a baby.. so I doubt if it is linked to any illness. I've never heard of him havig chest illnesses. in fact he has rarely been ill at all, has very good health.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:24 PM
Courtier

He certainly hasn't got haemophilia. We'd know if we had, and, anyway, it's now treated with Factor 8 transfusions. And it's biologically impossible as it's passed down the female line - it's in Prince Philip's side of the family, but it'd need to be in the maternal line to be inherited.

Is it possible that the article was referring to porphyria, which George III's thought to have had, instead? But, again, it's highly unlikely that the royal porphyria genes are still around. Charles hasn't got any medical problems AFAIK. He was probably tested because of his age.

I do wish elements of the media would stop whingeing about this. They're also whingeing that it was "careless" of Boris Johnson to catch it - do they think he got it on purpose?!
Old 03-29-2020, 07:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
He hasn't got haemophilia. And as has been said, he had fat fingers as a baby.. so I doubt if it is linked to any illness. I've never heard of him havig chest illnesses. in fact he has rarely been ill at all, has very good health.
I am aware he doesn't. I was replying to hereditary princess who was wondering if swelling could be linked to the hemophilia in the family tree. I was simply explaining the answer was No.

Many babies have fat fingers. They usually grow out of them. Charles certainly shows signs of rosacea, and his hands do tend to swell a bit when he travels.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
I am aware he doesn't. I was replying to hereditary princess who was wondering if swelling could be linked to the hemophilia in the family tree. I was simply explaining the answer was No.

Many babies have fat fingers. They usually grow out of them. Charles certainly shows signs of rosacea, and his hands do tend to swell a bit when he travels.
However I've never head of his having chest troubles..and I don't think he's ever been off work even for a day due to illness. Injuries yes but I think his health is pretty good.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:57 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

The Prince of Wales is out of self isolation, The Duchess of Cornwall remains in isolation as per guidelines.

https://twitter.com/chrisshipitv/sta...307622400?s=21
Old 03-30-2020, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Just seeing that on the BBC newsfeed.

The Prince is in good health.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52088684
Old 03-30-2020, 09:06 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post

This is great news! I wish him to continue feeling better and better.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post

That is quiet early. Here in Germany it is at last 14 days even if you don't have it yourself but have been in contact with a person who has tested positive.

Old 03-30-2020, 09:39 AM
Nobility

I was shocked to hear that he only self isolated for seven days, here in Canada it is 14 days.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

To be fair the guidance in the UK is 7 days, but 14 for anyone else living in the same house.
Old 03-30-2020, 11:25 AM
Serene Highness

Great news about Charles ! I know he will if continue working, but I hope he doesnt strain himself and cause a relapse..
Old 03-30-2020, 11:30 AM
Heir Presumptive

He should be quarantined for much longer. There have been various reports of people "feeling better" only to get worse.

Charles is no spring chicken. He is high risk and the virus has killed people much younger than him.
He should take more than the usual precautions.
Old 03-30-2020, 12:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

I can't se him leaving home anyway tbh given the lockdown in place in the UK, so while he may now move around more on the Birkhall estate I don't think we'll see him out and about in public for a long time.
Old 03-30-2020, 12:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I can't se him leaving home anyway tbh given the lockdown in place in the UK, so while he may now move around more on the Birkhall estate I don't think we'll see him out and about in public for a long time.
Of course not... He will keep busy by internet...but he's not going to be out doing engagements, none of them are....
Old 03-30-2020, 01:35 PM
Courtier

He won't be going out - no-one's allowed out unless it's to exercise, which he can do on the estate, or to buy food or medical supplies, and I don't suppose he does his own supermarket shopping ... I know Kate's sometimes been seen at the supermarket, but not Prince Charles!
Old 03-30-2020, 02:03 PM
Serene Highness

I am surprised the quarantine is only 7 days, but I'm not going to question doctors. Charles is probably still working now, lol.......
Old 03-30-2020, 02:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
To be fair the guidance in the UK is 7 days, but 14 for anyone else living in the same house.
Indeed, that is the situation under which Charles is subject and i have absolutely no issue with it at all.
Old 03-30-2020, 02:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
I am surprised the quarantine is only 7 days, but I'm not going to question doctors. Charles is probably still working now, lol.......
He can work, he just has to self isolate... But since none of us can go out without a good reason, he will be working from home for the next weeks anyway...