General News for The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall 1: Feb 2015-Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes those 15 years have simply flown by!

I'm afraid that Camilla has not 'been accepted by the vast majority of the (British) public.' In every single survey published by respected companies in the UK and conducted in a scientific manner in the past fifteen years, Charles has come way down in approval ratings and his wife is always below him.

I haven't seen any polling done in Britain in the past fifteen years in which Charles is placed above his mother, sons, Catherine, and his father, and he is usually below Anne. Camilla is always below him, sometimes way below. The latest survey, taken this March 2020, is exactly the same.

Plus, British tabloid newspapers have in the last decade have held unscientific polls several times, asking the question 'Should Camilla be named Queen?' and the answer from the reading public of these particular tabloid newspapers has always been 'No'.

Camilla may get a certain sector of the British public coming to see her (with or without their dogs) but it's clear from all surveys they aren't the majority of the population.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/explore/public_figure/Camilla_Duchess_of_Cornwall

Just type in any Royal name in this survey and you will get their popularity among the British public. Charles is 9th.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks as if Charles's dog isn't so keen on posing for the photo as they are! :D

I'm afraid that Camilla has not 'been accepted by the vast majority of the (British) public.' In every single survey published by respected companies in the UK and conducted in a scientific manner in the past fifteen years, Charles has come way down in approval ratings and his wife is always below him.

I haven't seen any polling done in Britain in the past fifteen years in which Charles is placed above his mother, sons, Catherine, and his father, and he is usually below Anne. Camilla is always below him, sometimes way below. The latest survey, taken this March 2020, is exactly the same.

Plus, British tabloid newspapers have in the last decade have held unscientific polls several times, asking the question 'Should Camilla be named Queen?' and the answer from the reading public of these particular tabloid newspapers has always been 'No'.

Camilla may get a certain sector of the British public coming to see her (with or without their dogs) but it's clear from all surveys they aren't the majority of the population.

Lol as always you're playing with words and numbers when we are not talking about your champions. I'm not suprised ...
I said that Camilla was accepted, not universally loved. That's totally different. She 's maybe not the most popular member of the BRF, but at least the Public is used to her, has accepted her as the Duchess of Cornwall and is not vindictive anymore (unlike back in 2005). In 15 years i've never seen one single incident but always cheering crowds and smiles on the faces. Maybe you don't like it, and i accept that, but that's a fact : she's accepted.
As for the title issue, she will be Princess Consort. The case seems closed and apparently she's fine with it. So some press can reharse it until the end of the days, it will not change the fact that, if God will, she'll be at the side of Charles when he becomes King. And the Public is ok with this scenario.

I don't see what my liking the Sussexes has to do with anything on a Charles and Camilla thread.

And It's not me playing with words and figures, but the most respected polling companies of the U.K. for the last fifteen years, who collect data on public reactions to various members of the BRF. These have shown that Charles is way behind his mother and sons in British popular feeling, and his wife is way behind him. If you don't wish to accept those figures, that is up to you. However they are accurately collected by these polling companies and regularly published.

I don't see what my liking the Sussexes has to do with anything on a Charles and Camilla thread.

And It's not me playing with words and figures, but the most respected polling companies of the U.K. for the last fifteen years, who collect data on public reactions to various members of the BRF. These have shown that Charles is way behind his mother and sons in British popular feeling, and his wife is way behind him. If you don't wish to accept those figures, that is up to you. However they are accurately collected by these polling companies and regularly published.
Nico was talking about acceptance. I would include both the 'positive' and the 'neutral' as acceptance in the YouGov-polls. So, while apparently about a third is still negative (non-accepting); two-thirds is either neutral or positive about her (accepting). So, I'd say that only Andrew truly is in trouble with 45% being non-accepting (negative) and 46% being accepting (positive or neutral).

Elizabeth: 73%/17%/10%
William: 65%/22%/10%
Catherine: 64%/21%/10%
Sophie: 31%/34%/12%
Harry: 63%/21%/14%
Anne: 44%/31%/15%
Zara: 42%/32%/15%
Charles: 46%/29%/22%
Edward: 28%/37%/23%
Philip: 49%/25%/24%
Meghan: 44%/27%/25%
Eugenie: 25%/37%/26%
Beatrice: 24%/37%/28%
Camilla: 29%/33%/32%
Andrew: 17%/29%/45%

I really don’t see why it matters about dopey polls. Many people who hated Charles and/or Camilla have come around. Many never will, but that’s their issue - they’ll have to deal with it.

Here’s a lovely article about them ...it’s a Premium article, so I’m not sure who will be able to read the whole thing

In 2020, few would begrudge Charles and Camilla their lasting happiness. This year, the duration of their marriage will overtake that of Charles and Diana. As Britain has changed, so have its royals, and many blended families will recognise the success of a second marriage, with children and grandchildren existing happily on either side.

"The genius of the Royal family is that they reflect the world we now live in.” says Brandreth. “The Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall reflect their generation.”

In some interviews, the couple have not been shy in sharing the secrets to their happiness. “It’s always marvellous to have somebody you feel understands and wants to encourage,” Charles has said. “Although she certainly pokes fun if I get too serious about things. And all that helps.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...th-anniversary-royal-couple-earned-happiness/

Aww...it turns out that Charles and Camilla recreated their engagement photo....

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/s...milla-engagement-photo-anniversary-recreated/

I think the dogs threw us off the scent ;-)

A sweet idea! I like the aged palette of the flowers and the weathered paint. Charles and Camilla have worn well.
And the dogs: a vital part of the family.

They have been married as long but unlike Charles and Diana they are still together. Charles and Diana were officially separated in 1992 although they didn't divorce until 1996.

Just because they are further down the polls than other members of the family it does not mean that Camilla has not been accepted by the British public.
Yes some do not care, others who supported Diana will never accept her, then there are people who have watched her put up with everything thrown at her, witnessed their obvious happiness, and just think well good for them.
Mistakes were made in the past and that is where they should stay.
He has his companion by his side, she supports him, never tries to outshine him. Camilla does not try to be the star, others in the past have and it went wrong. A lesson there.

To me, the most important factor is that Charles and Camilla's relationship is a strong one and it works beautifully for the two of them. Outside opinions of the couple's popularity really doesn't amount to a hill of beans in relation to their private lives together.

Their private life seem to be a happy and content one and that is what is reflected in their public lives.

Gladys and Fred forever!! :twohearts::twohearts:

To me, the most important factor is that Charles and Camilla's relationship is a strong one and it works beautifully for the two of them. Outside opinions of the couple's popularity really doesn't amount to a hill of beans in relation to their private lives together.

Their private life seem to be a happy and content one and that is what is reflected in their public lives.

Gladys and Fred forever!! :twohearts::twohearts:

Sicne they are going to be King nad his consort, their popularity does matter...

Let me ask a question then. Will having low popularity ratings in any way prevent Charles from being King or is it really a given that due to the Act of Succession of 1701 that as Charles is the present monarch's heir apparent, he will succeed his mother as monarch on her death. Do they take a poll at the time of the Queen's death to determine if he's "popular" enough to be King? How does that work? I'm curious.

Its also been the case where once upon a time there was a very popular Prince of Wales that was disastrous as a king. We know that story well. :D

Let me ask a question then. Will having low popularity ratings in any way prevent Charles from being King or is it really a given that due to the Act of Succession of 1701 that as Charles is the present monarch's heir apparent, he will succeed his mother as monarch on her death. Do they take a poll at the time of the Queen's death to determine if he's "popular" enough to be King? How does that work? I'm curious.

Its also been the case where once upon a time there was a very popular Prince of Wales that was disastrous as a king. We know that story well. :D

Charles will be king regardless of any polls done. Popularity isn't a factor in who succeeds the monarch.

Charles will be king regardless of any polls done. Popularity isn't a factor in who succeeds the monarch.

He will become king assuming that the monarchy lasts. however, if there are further problems.. his general popularity may be a factor in ending his reign or the monarchy as a whole...

That’s how I see it. I wish he had the public’s support, but.......it doesn’t matter. Charles is going to be King, and that’s that. Popularity matters with regards to the government, but not hereditary monarchy, and like you said, the public often likes the wrong people, lol.

He will become king assuming that the monarchy lasts. however, if there are further problems.. his general popularity may be a factor in ending his reign or the monarchy as a whole...

Assuming? When HM dies, Charles will become King....and his popularity will have nothing to do with ending his reign unless there is another English Civil War and he becomes the second King named Charles to have his head lopped off. As to ending the monarchy, I don’t think so, lol - it’s lasted 1000 years.

Last edited:
That’s how I see it. I wish he had the public’s support, but.......it doesn’t matter. Charles is going to be King, and that’s that. Popularity matters with regards to the government, but not hereditary monarchy, and like you said, the public often likes the wrong people, lol.

Assuming? When HM dies, Charles will become King....and his popularity will have nothing to do with ending his reign unless there is another English Civil War and he becomes the second King named Charles to have his head lopped off. As to ending the monarchy, I don’t think so, lol - it’s lasted 1000 years.

Plenty of monarchies have ended.. just because it has lasted 1000 years does not mean that it will last forever.

The British monarchy is safe, and will only end in the next few decades if anything serious happens. This monarchy is safe and still has a long time ahead of it.

Plenty of monarchies have ended.. just because it has lasted 1000 years does not mean that it will last forever.

You haven’t made a good argument why Charles’ lack of popularity could end a 1000 year old monarchy.

You haven’t made a good argument why Charles’ lack of popularity could end a 1000 year old monarchy.

I didn't say that, I said that just because the monarchy lasted 1000 years does not mean that it will last indefintely. Its problably safe for now, as the queen is respected.. but in these dangerous times, with a less popular respected monarch, that might be the tipping point...

15 years for the couple. Happy belated anniversary :flowers:

They have a wonderful strong marriage. They seem truly happy together.

I love the photo of the two of them with the dogs. I love that Bluebelle and Beth are not only adopted, but from a shelter Camilla is the patron of. Two very lucky rescue dogs that is for sure.

As for the laugh that Beth shares a similar name to the queen......Eugenie has a dog named Jack.

The Duchess of Cornwall, has shared some of her favourite books with her local newspaper in Aberdeenshire.

Great idea sharing the books. Always interesting to see what royals like to read in their own time.

Encouraging others to read during this as well, like Mathilde. She is patron for childhood literacy as well.

I spied at least 2 Harry Potter books in the shelves of a picture of their den.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom