General News for The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall 1: Feb 2015-Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Charles has regularly raised these issues with the government behind the scenes. He won't speak out publicly because that isn't what he is about but he will very likely raise it in a meeting with the leadership.

And I am sure the photo ops will be kept out of the smoke from the burning villages. From a purely practical POV.

I was quite intrigued when this visit was announced a few days ago. The British has strong ties to Aung San Suu Kyi and it's a very sensitive time in Burma. The POW has spoken out on human rights in the past, to the point where he alienated China (my understanding is that he coordinate that with the British government).

But I don't think he will speak out. He will be a guest of the military government and it is hard to believe that the UK wants him to criticize the military on their own soil. Such criticism would not help the Rohingya, and it would probably hurt relations between the country.

But it is an odd time for the UK to be courting Burmese trade. I wonder if they want him to address the issue with Burmese business leaders in private.

The bottom line is that whether he addresses the crisis or not, it will speak volumes about the UK position in the middle of an ethnic cleansing.

That he is going is outrageous. They are murdering the Rohingya is great numbers. Not quite enough for Aung San Suu Kyi to declare it ethnic cleaning in an interview she gave the other day. She must have a set number of how many have to die. She is shameful, too. That he is going is shameful. He stood up to China for Human Rights Violations, but its okay here. Frankly, a poor decision on his part. And for that matter on the part of the UK.

That he is going is outrageous. They are murdering the Rohingya is great numbers. Not quite enough for Aung San Suu Kyi to declare it ethnic cleaning in an interview she gave the other day. She must have a set number of how many have to die. She is shameful, too. That he is going is shameful. He stood up to China for Human Rights Violations, but its okay here. Frankly, a poor decision on his part. And for that matter on the part of the UK.

There's two different ways of looking at this issue. One belongs to Charles that is something deep rooted within him that cares deeply about his fellow human beings. Then there's The Prince of Wales going somewhere at the request of his government, representing his monarch and his government and what their stance is on the issue. With this trip, we'll be seeing The Prince of Wales rather than Charles the man. Charles may have stood up for human rights with China but I would bet my last hard cream soda that it wasn't on an official visit to China at the behest of his monarch and government. :D

In his role as The Prince of Wales, he sometimes has to do things he might rather not do. It will be the same when he is King.

I think everyone should calm down.

None of this has been confirmed. Today (14/9) the British Foreign Secretary has strongly condemned actions in Myanmar.

It is for the British Gov to decide - Charles is a servant of the Government.

MY own view is that what is happening is despicable but that perhaps words from someone considered a friend can assist.

I would be surprised if it happened considering todays statement.

There's two different ways of looking at this issue. One belongs to Charles that is something deep rooted within him that cares deeply about his fellow human beings. Then there's The Prince of Wales going somewhere at the request of his government, representing his monarch and his government and what their stance is on the issue. With this trip, we'll be seeing The Prince of Wales rather than Charles the man. Charles may have stood up for human rights with China but I would bet my last hard cream soda that it wasn't on an official visit to China at the behest of his monarch and government. :D

In his role as The Prince of Wales, he sometimes has to do things he might rather not do. It will be the same when he is King.

Well said.

Charles, like the Queen, has to do what he is told by the government of the day.

If that means going to Myanmar now or not going that is up to the government and the government alone.

If the government want them to host a murderer at BP - e.g. Mugabe, or the former leader of Roumania - then they have to do it. If they want them to visit a country where human rights abuses are common e.g. China - then they have to go.

The monarch is in many ways the least free person in the UK and her heir not far behind.

:previous: Exactly. When it comes to politics, the queen and her heir have less power then the common man. They don't even vote. And tours like this are exactly that, they are political events. Like a president going on a state visit. No matter their personal beliefs and feelings on the situation, they do their duty and responsibility. If asked to make the trip, or host a leader, they will.

Just like Charles isn't about to debate ivory on a state visit to China, he will have to watch his personal beliefs and will, on an official trip.

There are two sides to their work life (not personal). Their official duties for the government, and their patronages. In their patronages they have more freedom to pursue causes that are key to them. Unfortunately the official duty side is far more sanctioned.

Regardless of numbers(!) how well did they serve out their apprentienceship?

Completely different era now of course, so you can't really compare.

Charles will be King in the next decade and I expext Camilla will be Queen (apologies if going off topic there).

Regardless of numbers(!) how well did they serve out their apprentienceship?

Completely different era now of course, so you can't really compare.

Charles will be King in the next decade and I expext Camilla will be Queen (apologies if going off topic there).

If I had to put it into words, when comparing Charles to previous Princes of Wales, I would have to say that Charles rewrote, remodeled and redefined the role of The Prince of Wales. David (Edward VIII) really didn't put the heart and soul into the role that Charles has and those that preceded David lived in a totally different kind of a world.

I dobut if he will get anything. I don't see Charles handing out titles to husbands.. and even less is he going to use B and Eug as Royal workers.

Apparently Andrew didn't like the fact Sir Christopher was a key figure behind his Trade Envoy role being taken off him and that Sir Christopher was the one who would veto Andrew using private jets and helicopters as often as he would like. So says the Times and I can't see Charles needing Andrew's support in this that much enough to give out titles or promises about future roles.

If I had to put it into words, when comparing Charles to previous Princes of Wales, I would have to say that Charles rewrote, remodeled and redefined the role of The Prince of Wales. David (Edward VIII) really didn't put the heart and soul into the role that Charles has and those that preceded David lived in a totally different kind of a world.

To be fair to david, he too lived in a very different world to Charles. Charles was able to have a career in the Navy, while David was never Allowed as far as I recall to have more than a completely ceremonial role in the mitliary. And Charles was able to then set up the PRinces Trust and make it a special job of his own, when he left the Navy, whereas that sort of Initiaitve was only in its infancy in the 1930s. David DID do a lot of boring tours, and he was involved in charity work, but I agree he didn't really have his heart in it, as Charles did. He got more an more bored iwht the ceremonial duties _ "princing" .. but I think he didn't really have the dedication to try and find something more "useful" to do. As he grew older as POW he foud solace in gardening and Fort Belvedere, but these were hobbies..
and when he and Wallis settled in Paris after the war, he could have tried to find a more meaningful life, there, set up a charity, or as a patron of the arts.. but he didn't seem to really want to do that although eh was bored.

Apparently Andrew didn't like the fact Sir Christopher was a key figure behind his Trade Envoy role being taken off him and that Sir Christopher was the one who would veto Andrew using private jets and helicopters as often as he would like. So says the Times and I can't see Charles needing Andrew's support in this that much enough to give out titles or promises about future roles.

So personal grudge it is. Pretty much what I figured. Thanks tommy100!

I think everyone should calm down.

None of this has been confirmed. Today (14/9) the British Foreign Secretary has strongly condemned actions in Myanmar.

It is for the British Gov to decide - Charles is a servant of the Government.

MY own view is that what is happening is despicable but that perhaps words from someone considered a friend can assist.

I would be surprised if it happened considering todays statement.

I don't disagree with you but, to my knowledge, the trip is still on. Even if it is cancelled, the question remains why it was announced in the first place. These types of trips are usually very well choreographed.

Love this relaxed pic of Camilla!

So personal grudge it is. Pretty much what I figured. Thanks tommy100!
Oh come on guys, this is the Daily Mail, you know, the one with the made up stories and magic photos.

That you should pluck Andrew out of the story and bash him is beyond comprehension.

Regarding the personnel changes, it looks like there has been a 'shake-up', but the reasons could be multi-layered imo. What is being spun and what is actually taking place could be vastly divergent realities.

It occurs to me that Andrew is being being mentioned so that it becomes 'Charles and Andrew', rather than just Charles on his own. Perhaps between the lines, something is needing to happen and staff unwilling to bend to a new regime were getting in the way of it. Maybe Charles is monarch in all but name? :cool:

Last edited:
Oh come on guys, this is the Daily Mail, you know, the one with the made up stories and magic photos.

That you should pluck Andrew out of the story and bash him is beyond comprehension.

According to tommy100's comment it was the times that reported this, not the DM.

I'll be interested to see how the British Govt. reacts to the further unrest and flow of refugees to Bangladesh. As we know Royal visits to other states are planned and scheduled a year or two in advance. If the crisis remains ongoing or worsens the Govt. may cancel, but we can only wait and see.

Actually, the trip to Myanmar has not been "cancelled" because it was never a confirmed trip.

Speculation, nothing more.

And the DM always personalise it, esp with Prince Charles - it is C&FO decision but wouldn't get the clicks

The RF don't do political (well Charles may waver every so often, but nothing too major!), so no surprise there!

Its a good picture of Charles and Camilla but I have to say I'm not a fan of this year's card. I liked the ones where they used a candid picture of themselves doing something during the year rather than a portrait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom