General News and Information for The Duchess of Cornwall

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To me it's just a continuation of 'Operation Camilla-Parker Bowles'

No surprise CH did this in the 20th anniversary of Diana's death. There are a lot of books and documentaries coming out, a couple by William and Harry that put Diana in a good light and this interview is an attempt by Charles spindoctors to pushback.

To be honest, Diana never entered my thoughts whatsoever reading this article. I'm more apt to believe that it would be in celebration of Camilla's 70th birthday than to use it as an opportunity to bring Diana into it and "spin" Camilla.

Camilla doesn't need spinning anyways. She's doing just fine by being herself.

The entire gist of the article is how much she and Charles are in love and how she went from the most vilified woman in Britain to 'beloved consort in waiting'

I'm not a Diana disciple but her ghost is never far from the Firm, never more so than during the 20th anniversary of her death. Harry and William have been sharing memories of their mother all year.

You can say this interview is just a 'celebration' of her 70th birthday but I think it's a Clarence House PR move to gently push back against the deluge of pro-Diana stories.

HRH The Duchess of Cornwall's Interview with The Daily Mail:
Camilla up close! Duchess of Cornwall speaks exclusively | Daily Mail Online

Kinda surprised by Camilla talking about her feelings on those harsh days of the 90's. I always thought she would stay away from talking about it. I like her openness though.

If the Duchess of Cornwall is tired, as she admits, and feels she might need a "jab to keep going", then the solution is simple. It suffices to persuade her husband to renounce his sucession rights and let the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge take over when the time comes. Charles and Camilla can then retire to a quiet life in the countryside. I am pretty sure the British government , the UK parliament and the governments and parliaments of the Commonwealth realms would not only support that decision, but actually be relieved, as Charles is not particularly popular among politicians or the public for that matter.

That just might happen, Mbruno. In some alternate universe on the other side of the galaxy. Not in this one. ;)

The entire gist of the article is how much she and Charles are in love and how she went from the most vilified woman in Britain to 'beloved consort in waiting'

I'm not a Diana disciple but her ghost is never far from the Firm, never more so than during the 20th anniversary of her death. Harry and William have been sharing memories of their mother all year.

You can say this interview is just a 'celebration' of her 70th birthday but I think it's a Clarence House PR move to gently push back against the deluge of pro-Diana stories.

First thing I thought when I saw the headline was "Here we go a PR push "

Camilla only repeats what is lived by example by her in-laws (never explain, never complain, just get on with it etc), there would never be another option for her than to live this way and I am sure she knew it when she married Charles.
I always thought that Camilla is not for a royal life but this is what she did for love. She could have had a quiet country retirement as mistress but they took the other option.
I am no hater or lover of either woman, so I don't have strong emotions for either cause but do people still care? Diana is dead 20 years now and Camilla is an elderly woman who made her bed and not only understood that she has to lie in it, but also actually lies in it since 2004.
Camilla has done a decent job so far, she will never be Queen of Hearts and knows she will never be, so the public should move on and leave this Diana/Camilla topic behind once and for all.

I think the whole has more to with her 70th Birthday, than spinning against anything to with Diana. There's no need for CH to do another spin. They've already did that pretty successfully; which is why Camilla is viewed in a more positive light by the public and media.

I like how open she was but, I hope there's a little reminder in the back of her head, that the hell she went through back in the day was due to her own actions. I'm sure she may have some regrets but, at least she can have a laugh at her herself and move on.

The Daily Mail story is pretty positive for them. But it reads like they put snippets from various past interviews together for a story, not an interview with Camilla or others for this particular story.

The Daily Mail story is pretty positive for them. But it reads like they put snippets from various past interviews together for a story, not an interview with Camilla or others for this particular story.

The interview was printed in full in a pull out for The Mail on Sunday. So they've pulled the most intriguing bits to put on Mail Online so readers would go buy the Mail on Sunday. So you are right in a sense.

Camilla Duchess of Cornwall

Was/is Camilla a heavy smoker and what of her use of alcohol? When she is crowned Her Majesty Queen Camilla alongside Charles, will her past as Charles’ mistress during his first marriage likely be re-visited in media coverage? Is she currently one of the most popular people in the U.K. royal family, seen as a saviour of the monarchy?

Forgive me as I learn how to use this site. I am new to it.

Camilla's life pre marriage to Charles has been documented in books and articles. She was married to her first husband for 22 years and they have two children and five grandchildren. And her relationship with Charles has been documented.

I am not sure if I would say she was the saviour of the monarchy but Charles was determined to marry her .
A great deal of the public have warmed to her, she has worked hard , but there are others who are not prepared to forget her role in the breakdown of the marriage of Charles and Diana.
Some say the marriage would have failed anyway others are of a different view.
My view is that Charles appears a much happier contented man in recent years.

I am not sure if I would say she was the saviour of the monarchy but Charles was determined to marry her .
A great deal of the public have warmed to her, she has worked hard , but there are others who are not prepared to forget her role in the breakdown of the marriage of Charles and Diana.
Some say the marriage would have failed anyway others are of a different view.
My view is that Charles appears a much happier contented man in recent years.

I really admire how Charles insisted on marrying the woman he loved, despite pressures from all sides. Camilla is remarkable, and she has indeed made Charles incredibly happy....she’s allowed his real self to shine through. I suspect she’s very much to him what the Queen Mother was to Bertie ...

I really admire how Charles insisted on marrying the woman he loved, despite pressures from all sides. Camilla is remarkable, and she has indeed made Charles incredibly happy....she’s allowed his real self to shine through. I suspect she’s very much to him what the Queen Mother was to Bertie ...

I agree , probably why the queen approved the marriage , nobody wanted another Duke of Windsor situation.

I doubt that Charles would have abdicated his right to the Throne for Camilla’s sake, even if a Duke of Windsor situation been allowed to develop (which it wouldn’t have been.) For much of the duration of the time before the couple became engaged she was another man’s wife, so they would probably have continued with that arrangement. After Charles’s interview with Jonathon Dimbleby the situation changed as Andrew and Camilla divorced.

However if Charles had been told to make a choice between marrying Camilla and renouncing his right to become King and remaining POW and not marrying Camilla I think the two of them would have still continued their relationship unmarried and Charles wouldn’t have to make the choice. The times were very different from the 1930s, both socially and morally.

Welcome to The Royal Forums! :flowers:

I wouldn't call her the savior of the monarchy, because I think there's a good argument that it wouldn't have needed saving were it not for the constant stream of scandals in which she played a key role. That said, she wasn't part of the monarchy at that time, and didn't have the same obligation to it that Charles and Diana did. For that reason, I think it's unfair to judge her as harshly as either of them in that respect.

While I can't say I approve of her or Charles's conduct, it was a long time ago, and most people are willing to overlook similar misbehavior by their immediate relatives. And by this point, no one can doubt their sincere devotion to each other. I imagine it will come up in the media, but it won't be new information for anyone. Nothing negative that can be said of Camilla isn't at least equally true of Charles, and Diana's been dead for too long for the general public to be outraged on her behalf.

Last I heard, the plan was for Camilla to be Princess Consort, not Queen. But that was announced long time ago, when they first married, so it may have changed.

Do you think Camilla will bother whether she is titled Queen or princess Consort, or will it matter more to Charles

Do you think Camilla will bother whether she is titled Queen or princess Consort, or will it matter more to Charles

The Prince of Wales and Camilla are longer married together than Charles and Diana were. All that time things have been changed, like a gender neutral succession and the lift on the ban to marry Catholics. But nothing has been changed about the issue of Camilla's future position.

It is possible to choose to follow the same pattern (Duchess of Cornwall instead Princess of Wales) when it comes to the Queen Consort style but Camilla will legally become Queen whether she wants to or not.

Various experts insisted British and Commonweath nations' law will formally recognise Camilla as Queen Consort as soon as Prince Charles becomes King, citing various legislation as ancient as the Treason Act 1351 or as young as the Regency Act 1937, etc.

Last edited:
I agree , probably why the queen approved the marriage , nobody wanted another Duke of Windsor situation.

Charles wouldn’t have given up his place in line (?)...I think ultimately HM had no real alternative - she surely wanted her son to be happy. That said, it would have been an untenable situation had it continued like that. I’m glad that HM and Camilla get along so well....

Welcome to The Royal Forums! :flowers:

I wouldn't call her the savior of the monarchy, because I think there's a good argument that it wouldn't have needed saving were it not for the constant stream of scandals in which she played a key role. That said, she wasn't part of the monarchy at that time, and didn't have the same obligation to it that Charles and Diana did. For that reason, I think it's unfair to judge her as harshly as either of them in that respect.

While I can't say I approve of her or Charles's conduct, it was a long time ago, and most people are willing to overlook similar misbehavior by their immediate relatives. And by this point, no one can doubt their sincere devotion to each other. I imagine it will come up in the media, but it won't be new information for anyone. Nothing negative that can be said of Camilla isn't at least equally true of Charles, and Diana's been dead for too long for the general public to be outraged on her behalf.

Last I heard, the plan was for Camilla to be Princess Consort, not Queen. But that was announced long time ago, when they first married, so it may have changed.

Diana played her role in this drama as well, though - she also behaved badly...and while she’s so tragically not with us, the public is continuously “outraged on her behalf”. Charles and Camilla, especially Charles, have to face a constant stream of Diana books/tv shows/movies/theatrical productions ...including a sequel to Diana: In Her Own Words.

Last edited by a moderator:
Diana played her role in this drama as well, though - she also behaved badly...and while she’s so tragically not with us, the public is continuously “outraged on her behalf”. Charles and Camilla, especially Charles, have to face a constant stream of Diana books/tv shows/movies/theatrical productions ...including a sequel to Diana: In Her Own Words.

Exactly.
People opposing Camilla as Queen seem to not be able to let go of some idea that Diana was perfect and that Camilla is the evil one who wronged her.
Diana was not perfect and it was pretty clear that the marriage was doomed from the start even if Camilla hadn't been in the picture .

Camilla has been an exemplary consort to Charles and deserves to be known by her proper title. Denying her that because people can't let go of the myth of a very much flawed and human woman who has been dead for a quarter century is absurd, imo. Diana was never going to be Queen.

I was hit hard by Diana's death, as were many royal watchers at the time, but I also understand that she was no saint. That isn't to say that Charles doesn't bear a good deal of responsibility for the failure of the marriage and Diana's difficulties in her role and the marriage, but I would blame him rather than Camilla.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that HM has revealed (the alleged!) contents of her handbag, I wonder if Princess Charlotte would care to tell us what she observed in Camilla’s bag while riding in the Trooping carriage? I’ll bet it wasn’t a marmalade sandwich!

Now that HM has revealed (the alleged!) contents of her handbag, I wonder if Princess Charlotte would care to tell us what she observed in Camilla’s bag while riding in the Trooping carriage? I’ll bet it wasn’t a marmalade sandwich!

Loved that image of Charlotte rummaging through Camilla's bag whilst on the carriage. Clearly there is a greater familiarity there than many would have us believe.

Loved that image of Charlotte rummaging through Camilla's bag whilst on the carriage. Clearly there is a greater familiarity there than many would have us believe.

I agree, a closeness between the family has really shown through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom