Family of the Duchess of Cornwall 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He fell while re-entering the hotel. The video was shown to his nephews Tom PB & Ben Elliot when they went to pick up the body.

IIRC, he was taken to the hospital around 2:52 am. It was said he was with a relative.

I wonder if someone else was in the revolving door or if his foot got caught under the door and when he tried to dislodge his foot he fell.

It seems Mr Shand was in very festive spirits after a quite succesfful fundraiser (1,5 million US Dollars for the endangered Indian elephants). So yes, some glasses of drink, I suppose.

Not that there is anything wrong ith it!

Last edited:
So shocked when I just now read the news about Mark Shand. He is now known as Camilla's brother but was quite a figure in his own right. He was not handsome in the strictest sense of the word, but he was always very popular with women. He was teen-aged Caroline Kennedy's first real boyfriend when she lived in London in the mid-70's as a student houseguest of Lord Hugh Fraser. In fact, she is said to have fallen deeply in love with Mark but he let her down gently because she was too young for him.

I feel terribly sad for the Duchess of Cornwall and her family. They are close, and what a shock this must be for them.

It is interesting to read how well-connected the Shand-Cubitt family is. Of course the firm rooting in the military: Camilla herself was first married to a Brigadier, which is a one-star general. Her sister Annabel's father-in-law is Air Chief Marshal Sir William Elliot. Camilla's own father was a Major and twice decorated for bravery.

Then the aristocracy: Camilla's maternal grandparents were the 3rd Baron Ashcombe and the Hon. Sonia Keppel. Mark Shand seems closely befriended with prominent figures as Imran Khan, Richard Branson, Piers Morgan, Bianca Jagger even.

Did you know that Keppel is actually a place in the East of the Netherlands? The Keppel family are Dutch aristocrats. Once Arnold-Joost van Keppel, Lord of De Voorst and of Acquoy, went with William III of Nassau, Prince of Orange to the British isles. There William III made him Earl of Albemarle, Viscount Bury and Baron Ashford.

Picture of Keppel Castle in the East of the Netherlands (source contact.nl): http://www.contact.nl/scripts/edoris/edoris.dll?tem=W_image_doc&size=800&doc_id=496040

Picture of De Voorst House in the East of the Netherlands, build by Camilla's ancestor Arnold Joost van Keppel, Earl of Albemarle (source venue.nl):
http://www.venue.nl/images/presentaties/landgoed-huis-de-voorst/luchtfoto%20front.jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Mark had 2 hip replacement surgeries. The most recent in 2011. He was still walking with a cane in 2013.

At the charity event, he was leaning against the table. It is possible that the surgery failed or he was experiencing problems with his hips/knees.

Duc et Pair, thank for the pictures of the Keppel homes.

Last edited:
There is another house which got the present state in 1691, thanks to Arnold-Joost van Keppel, 1st Earl of Albemarle. This house was neighbouring De Voorst House (two posts ago) ánd close to Het Loo Palace, the glorious residence of William III and Mary.

In 1959 the estate was sold to the Foundation Guelders Landscape, which aims to preserve monuments, historic estates and natural landscapes. That foundation has now rented it to the National Police, using it as a conference venue.

See picture (source: National Police): https://www.politieacademie.nl/overdepolitieacademie/hetvelde/PublishingImages/luchtfoto%20huis%20t%20velde.JPG

:flowers:

Last edited:
What a beautiful tribute to his uncle! And how brave and sad that Tom and Ben had to make that long flight knowing what they had to when they reached the States.

My thoughts and prayers to Ayesha and the rest of the Shand family.

Beautifully written. It hurts to lose someone you love. Just from the funeral today of a colleague who died from ovarian cancer at age 58. She leaves behind two teen girls. Her sister gave a beautiful eulogy. Tom really using a wonderful writer.

From Charles' ancestors James VI (I) and Anne of Denmark to Camilla's ancestors James VI (I) and Anne of Denmark:

Charles, Prince of Wales
=
Elizabeth II Queen of the United Kingdom, Etc
x Prince Philip of Greece and Denmark

Elizabeth II
=
George VI King of the United Kingdom, Etc
x Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, daughter of the 14th Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne

George VI
=
George V King of the United Kingdom, Etc
x Princess Mary, daughter of Franz, Duke of Teck

George V
=
Edward VII King of the United Kingdom, Etc.
x Princess Alexandra, daughter of King Christian IX of Denmark

Edward VII
=
Victoria, Queen of the United Kingdom, Etc.
x Prince Albert von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha

Victoria
=
Prince Edward, Duke of Kent and Strathearn
x Princess Victoria, daughter of Franz, Duke of Sachsen-Coburg-Saalfeld

Edward
=
George III King of the United Kingdom
x Princess Charlotte, daughter of Karl, Duke of Mecklenburg-Strelitz

George III
=
Frederick, Prince of Wales
x Princess Augusta, daughter of Friedrich II Duke of Sachsen-Gotha-Altenburg

Frederick
=
George II King of Great Britain and Ireland
x Princess Caroline, daughter of Johann Friedrich Margrave of Brandenburg-Ansbach

George II
=
George I King of Great Britain and Ireland
x Sophia Dorothea, daughter of Georg-Wilhelm Duke of Braunschweig-Lüneburg

George I
=
Sophia, Princess of the Palatinate
x Ernest Augustus, Elector of Braunschweig-Lüneburg

Sophia
= Elizabeth Stuart
x Friedrich V, Elector of the Palatinate

Elizabeth
=
King James VI of Scotland and I of England x Princess Anne, daughter of King Frederik II of Denmark
=
Charles I

Charles I King of England, Scotland and Ireland
x Princess Henrietta Maria, daughter of King Henri IV of France
= Charles II

Charles II King of England, Scotland and Ireland
x Louise, Duchess of Portsmouth, daughter of Guillaume de Penancoët, Seigneur de Kérouaille
= Charles Lennox

Charles Lennox, 1st Duke of Richmond
x Anne Brudenell, daughter of Francis, Baron Brudenell
= Lady Anne Lennox

Lady Anne Lennox
x Willem Anne van Keppel, 2nd Earl of Albemarle
= George Keppel

George Keppel, 3rd Earl of Albemarle
x Anne Miller, daughter of Sir John Miller, 4th Baronet
= William Charles Keppel

William Charles Keppel, 4th Earl Albemarle
x Hon. Elizabeth Southwell, daughter of Edward Southwell, 20th Baron de Clifford
= George Thomas Keppel

George Thomas Keppel, 6th Earl of Albemarle
x Susan Trotter of Willesden, daughter of Sir Coutts Trotter of Willesden, 1st Baronet
= William Coutts Keppel

William Coutts Keppel, 7th Earl of Albemarle
x Sophia Mary MacNab, daughter of Sir Allan Napier MacNab (Prime Minister of Canada)
= George Keppel

Lieutenant Colonel Hon. George Keppel
x Alice Edmonstone, daughter of Sir William Edmonstone, 4th Baronet
= Sonia Keppel

Sonia Keppel
x Roland Calvert Cubitt, 3rd Baron Ashcombe
= Hon. Rosalind Maud Cubitt

Hon. Rosalind Maud Cubitt
x Major Bruce Middleton Hope Shand MC and Bar
= Camilla Rosemary Shand (HRH The Duchess of Cornwall)

Last edited:
Ah, I had no idea that Camilla is a descendant of one of the Lennox sisters!

ETA: Ouch, I think I made a mistake there. Lady Anne Lennox would have been the aunt of the famous Lennox sisters though, so there is a connection.

Last edited:
It's beautiful and very touching to see Charles hold Camilla's hand in comforting her in this time.

I thought the same. It is intrusive of the press to photograph these personal, sad moments but that's the press. They photographed Sophie's mother's memorial service in 2005. It's at times like that you'd think they would leave you alone, given that Sophie's mother wasn't even famous. (She didn't really want Sophie to marry Edward as she was afraid it would'n't work given the family history of unsuccessful marriages.) It's different for Mark as he had fame in his own right, but it's still sad that the paps felt it suitable to attend this funeral.

Video:
The Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall have attended the funeral of Mark Shand in Dorset this afternoon. Shand, the brother of Camilla, died unexpectedly last week after falling and hitting his head on the pavement in New York-
Home - ITNSource News

What an emotional funeral for the Duchess and her family. Totally unimportant here but I would like to say: HRH looked wonderful and probably brother Mark would have been so proud on her.

Very touching, Camilla was clearly devastated.

The body language between Charles and Camilla speaks volumes.
Very poignant.

It's beautiful and very touching to see Charles hold Camilla's hand in comforting her in this time.

I too thought the same thing. We don't often see royal couples be affectionate, so when I do, it warms my heart.

Such a sad day. It must be dreadfully hard to lose a sibling as they tend to be your first ever playmate when you are young and you share such a lot when growing up.
It is no surprise that the media turned up, but I imagine they were quite some distance away so hopefully the intrusion will have been minimal.

I suppose it was inevitable that the funeral would be covered, and in a way it is a good thing because Mark was a public figure in his own right and the photos and article may help raise money for the elephants that were so close to his heart and that would please him.

My heart aches for Camilla and the rest of her family though, because their grief is so obvious and the photos so intrusive. But though the photos are intrusive, it's lovely to see the way Charles is caring for Camilla. That hand-holding shot speaks volumes.

Why is Andrew PW wearing a safety-pin in his tie? Is there some symbolism to it or is he just trying to keep the tie from flapping around?

I suppose it was inevitable that the funeral would be covered, and in a way it is a good thing because Mark was a public figure in his own right and the photos and article may help raise money for the elephants that were so close to his heart and that would please him.

My heart aches for Camilla and the rest of her family though, because their grief is so obvious and the photos so intrusive. But though the photos are intrusive, it's lovely to see the way Charles is caring for Camilla. That hand-holding shot speaks volumes.

Why is Andrew PW wearing a safety-pin in his tie? Is there some symbolism to it or is he just trying to keep the tie from flapping around?

Take your pick:-

1. Its as you suggest an ordinary safety pin to stop his tie flapping
2. He's lost a button off his shirt and (see 1) doesnt want his tie to flap
3. It's a "fun" precious metal tie pin.

I always feel sorry for APB - since his wife died he always seems lost and looks slightly shambolic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom