The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-01-2018, 06:35 AM

Does anyone reckon Sonia Keppel was actually Edward VII's illegitimate child?

For those who don't know, Sonia Keppel was the Duchess of Cormwall's grandmother. Queen Victoria banned royal bastards from court and deemed them as "ghosts best forgotten", but Edward VII of course had many flings, and Alice Keppel was his most famous mistress, favoured between 1898 and his death in 1910. Sonia was born in 1900, and looking at portraits done when she was 20 and Edward was roundabout the same age, I think there's a rather dodgy resemblance. Alice's husband Lt.-Col. George Keppel acknowledged Sonia of course, but I don't rule out the possibility of her being Edward's in a very well orchestrated cover-up as George would conveniently leave when Edward stopped by the Keppels' home in Portman Square.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:37 AM
Commoner

Anything is possible, although I guess we will never know.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

That would be interesting, if it was true, it would make Camilla a great-granddaughter of King Edward VII alike her mother-in-law Queen Elizabeth II....

Edward von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha
x Alice Frederica Edmonstone
= Sonia Rosemary von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha, known as "Keppel"

Sonia Rosemary von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha, known as "Keppel"
x Roland Calvert Cubitt, 3rd Baron Ashcombe, DL
= The Hon. Rosalind Maud Cubitt

The Hon. Rosalind Maud Cubitt
x Major Bruce Middleton Hope Shand MC and bar, DL
= Camilla Rosemary Shand

Edward VII
1 - Sonia (daughter)
2 - Rosalind (granddaughter)
3 - Camilla (great-granddaughter)

Edward VII
1 - George V (son)
2 - George VI (grandson)
3 - Elizabeth II (great-granddaughter)
4 - Charles (great-great-grandson)
Old 12-03-2018, 09:25 AM
Commoner

From reading the histories of the time, I think it is a very strong possibility that Sonia Keppel is the child of Edward Vii.

Susanna Wynne
Old 04-01-2020, 04:34 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Andrew Parker Bowles has been diagnosed with Coronavirus, which he apparently caught at Cheltenham. Where several members of the RF attended.

https://twitter.com/majestymagazine/...138800130?s=21
Old 04-01-2020, 04:36 PM
Serene Highness

Oh dear. I hope he will be fine. Didn't Princess Anne and her family attend too? I hope they will stay fine too.
Old 04-01-2020, 04:49 PM
Serene Highness

Well there were questions at the time about whether it was wise to go ahead with the race meeting. Government advice was that it was ok. Other sporting events were happening at the same time. Cheltenham is such a large gathering & of course huge numbers always attend from Ireland so the potential for spreading the virus widely was always there.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLV View Post
Oh dear. I hope he will be fine. Didn't Princess Anne and her family attend too? I hope they will stay fine too.
Yes, I believe it was where we saw Peter and Autumn together for the first time after the announcement of their divorce.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:06 PM
Royal Highness

His family and friends must be worried since he's 80. Hopefully he'll recover quickly like Charles.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:34 AM
Majesty

He is older than Charles, so definitely in more risk.
Old 04-04-2020, 11:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLV View Post
Zara and Anne were photographed with Andrew the first day of the event. And Peter and Autumn, and Mike, were all there over the days.

I was surprised to read the news. Both Camilla's husband and ex-husband have been struck. Hopefully Andrew makes a good recovery like Charles has. But he is older and I am not sure if he is as healthy as Charles is either.

For the sake of her kids and grandkids, it cant be too easy on Camilla worried about him after her concern for Charles.

Charles, Andrew PB, and the Brooksbanks. The royal family certainly has been hit, even if just on the extensions with exception to Charles.

Tags
alice keppel, camilla, camilla's family, duchess of cornwall, sonia keppel