Duchy of Cornwall

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Prince releases his annual report today, it includes the offical finances from the Duchy of Cornwall. BBC News has reported that the funding from the tax payer (grants in aid) has risen 24% to £3,000,000. His overall income was up 1%. The main reason was an increase in travel by air and rail which increased by about 48% to £1.7million.

The amount of money the Prince of Wales receives from the taxpayer jumped by almost a quarter last year.

Charles Prince Of Wales' Taxpayer Funding Up By Almost 24pc: Accounts Show Tax Bill Fell By 10pc | UK News | Sky News

The Prince of Wales's funding from the taxpayer rose by almost a quarter last year, Clarence House accounts showed today.
The money from grants-in-aid and Government departments jumped 23.5% from £2,454,000 to £3,033,000

Prince Charles gets 23.5% more cash from taxpayer | News

Whereas of course it is not his fortune at all. It is the book value of the Duchy and can't be liquidated.

Surely you don´t mean that he doesn´t use this money from the Duch, as it is not his private fortune.

Surely you don´t mean that he doesn´t use this money from the Duch, as it is not his private fortune.

He can use the income but not the capital.

The capital has increased to 58 million pounds and he can't touch that 58 million pounds i.e. he can't sell any of it.

The income that money generates is about 16 - 18 million pounds and that is his to use to support his family and live on (alone with pay quite a bit of it in tax).

The same thing happens with the Duchy of Lancaster estate. The Queen uses the income generated from the estate as her personal income but she can't liquidate the assets.

This ensures that the monarch and heir have an income separate from the parliament and separate from each other (the monarch doesn't have to support the heir).

Neither of them can sell the assest of these estates. They have to be passed on in full to their successor, ensuring that they also have an income. If they are able to increase the worth of the estate during their stewardship that is all to the good. Charles has certainly been able to do that indicating that he is a good businessman.

The Prince of Wales's funding from the taxpayer rose by almost a quarter last year, Clarence House accounts showed today.
The money from grants-in-aid and Government departments jumped 23.5% from £2,454,000 to £3,033,000
Where does the figure for £3.033 million come from? The accounts show that the total 'grant-in-aid' derived from the taxpayer to cover travel, some communication & office costs is £2.2 million up from £1.9million in the previous year not the figures being put out by the media.

Last edited by a moderator:
No one will take up a collection for them. Either way they live better than most and do little to earn it. Cutting ribbons and attending functions is not considered hard labor.

He can use the income but not the capital.

The capital has increased to 58 million pounds and he can't touch that 58 million pounds i.e. he can't sell any of it.
Just one minor detail, Charles through the Duchy can sell some of the properties or goods owned, but Charles cannot directly benefit from it.:flowers:

Another detail, the book value of the assets of the Duchy of Cornwall is now £647 million. Most of this would be represented by land and property.

Just one minor detail, Charles through the Duchy can sell some of the properties or goods owned, but Charles cannot directly benefit from it.:flowers:

Selling the capital can only be made to increase the capital - sorry I should have made that point clearer.

He can't sell the capital to use for day to day expenses.

He can manage the capital to increase that capital and along the way increase the income from that capital.

Did you say £647 million Warren? Oh dear, the poor man, do you think he will manage to get by on that?
I love his bikkies and I will buy a few extra packets to help him keep his head above water, every little penny helps.

Did you say £647 million Warren? Oh dear, the poor man, do you think he will manage to get by on that?
I love his bikkies and I will buy a few extra packets to help him keep his head above water, every little penny helps.

This is not his personal fortune but the book value of the assets which creates the income on which he lives.

That book value will be passed to William on the death of the present Queen, assuming Charles is her successor (that Charles outlives his mother).

Where does the figure for £3.033 million come from? The accounts show that the total 'grant-in-aid' derived from the taxpayer to cover travel, some communication & office costs is £2.2 million up from £1.9million in the previous year not the figures being put out by the media.

Some of the difference may be money granted for infrastructure improvements or repairs to Clarence House. Since the residence is owned by the Crown, the Government usually provides some money for repair and upkeep if occupied by a senior member of the royal family.

:previous:
I don't think I have ever heard of something stranger. A singer from a boy band to make cheese for the prince of wales. Well it's certainly original. :lol:

When he founded the organic food range in 1990 and began selling products from his own Home Farm, he daydreamed, extraordinarily, it would grow so large that it would one day 'rival Sainsbury's'.

Read more: Too expensive, unpopular, out of touch with modern Britain... and that's just Prince Charles's biscuits | Mail Online

At least I will still be able to get my biscuits! :lol:
----------------------------
Despite being one of the country's wealthiest landowners, Prince Charles pulled in his purse strings in response to the economic crisis, and revealed how he had managed to slash £500,000 from his personal spending bill.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/a...33CBC44D5FD456F18BDD617B77B9642#ixzz0N6nRP4Vh

£520 per month seems very reasonable to me, considering some 3 bedroom rental properties in the Highlands cost £600-700 per month. I wonder how much it cost for a council house on the Isles?

As Prince Charles digests the catastrophic 70 per cent slump in profits of his beloved organic food company, Duchy Originals, I can reveal that the man charged with turning its fortunes round has an intriguing corporate history of his own.

PRINCE Charles came unstuck over his green credentials yesterday as he showcased his organic food to showbusiness and sports stars at a Highgrove party.

Daily Express | UK News :: 'Somerset' jam Charles? Yours is from Norfolk

Prince Charles's struggling Duchy Originals food company is expected to avert the threat of humiliating financial collapse by announcing a rescue deal led by the supermarket group Waitrose

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/sep/09/prince-charles-duchy-originals-waitrose

Prince Charles's struggling Duchy Originals business will today be rescued from a humiliating financial collapse by Waitrose.

Profits at his luxury foods company have slumped from £1.53million two years ago to £57,400 as many consumers shun their highly-priced products in the recession.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...od-firm-financial-collapse.html#ixzz0QhB0jKWI

Residents of a sleepy Somerset village have accused Prince Charles of undermining his credibility as the guardian of rural Britain by planning to build 2,000 homes on rolling pasture and an environmentally friendly beef farm.

Prince Charles: Duchy plan to concrete over green fields leads to outcry | UK news | The Guardian

and the Mail

Residents in an idyllic village have accused Prince Charles of 'damaging the environment' with plans to create 2,000 homes on their doorsteps.
The proposals include concreting over a large amount of rolling pastures and knocking down an environmentally friendly beef farm.
The Prince's investment portfolio, the Duchy of Cornwall, is considering the massive development on its land to meet government housing targets.

But doesn't Charles pay for his expenses through the Duchy of Cornwall, so the taxpayers aren't paying anything for him.

Not really.

The taxpayers pay for his security and that of Camilla and William and Harry.

Whenever any of them do an official duty e.g. William and Harry's recent tour to SA and Charles and Camilla's tour to Poland earlier this year are official tours and so the government foots the bill - just as they would if it was a politician or diplomat doing something.

The Duchy provides his private income to cover his personal expenses and the salaries for his staff and the expenses on a day to day basis for Camilla and probably something for William and Harry, although they are both independently wealthy due to Diana's divorce settlement.

Why is Prince Charles still paying for his sons staff and expenses. I thought they received their noney from Diana's estate.

They recieved an inheritance from Diana, she has no estate.
That money has been invested in Charities or safely locked away somewhere.
Charles pays for them, because they are his sons.
Just like Prince Andrew pays for his daughters.

Back
Top Bottom