Duchy of Cornwall

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If that's the plan with the Duchy, then I wonder if a similar plan will be undertaken with PoW...

Maybe, but legislation isn't needed for that, so Parliament won't have to be involved.

Thank you, Bertie, I wasn't aware of that myself.

My point was purely related to the title and not any legislature - which of course wouldn't be necessary - or finances. Traditionally "Prince of Wales" has been a title for the heir apparent, while "Princess of Wales" has been seen as a lesser title denoting the spouse of the PoW.

If the plan is to have the Duchy remain in the hands of the Duke of Cornwall - regardless of the Duke's gender - then the intent might also be to have the heir apparent be titled Prince of Wales also regardless of gender. This would be similar to how the monarch is always the Duke of Lancaster or the Lord of Man, regardless of the monarch's actual gender.

While they are trying to make a female heir eligible for the Cornwall title, why not just change it to the heir apparent taking out the provision that the person is the monarch's child? If Charles died today, William is the heir apparent and can be named PoW but isn't the Duke of Cornwall because he isn't the monarch's son. The same thing could happen with George if William dies during his father's reign. If you are the heir apparent, you should be duke of Cornwall if regardless of sex or if you are grandson/granddaughter.

Prince Charles to splurge £5m on tragic heir's estate | Mail Online
24 July 2014

[NB the headline is misleading as the Duchy of Cornwall is in negotiations to buy the land, not Prince Charles personally.]

Charles to splurge £5m on tragic heir's estate

Having made the biggest gamble of his life with the £45 million purchase of decaying Palladian mansion Dumfries House in Scotland, Prince Charles is about to make another eye-catching investment. The heir to the throne is planning to spend millions on vast chunks of the historic Cornish estate that will host the fashionable annual Port Eliot arts festival this weekend.

The Duchy of Cornwall will buy more than 800 acres of land, farmhouses and outbuildings from Charles's bohemian friend the Earl of St Germans, who lives at the 123-room Port Eliot house, which has its own church and celebrated gardens. ‘The Duchy is in advanced negotiations regarding the purchase of part of the Port Eliot estate,’ confirms a Clarence House spokesman. ‘The negotiations do not include the house.’

The land was put on the market, in nine lots worth a combined £4.7 million, last October by the 73-year-old earl, Peregrine Eliot. His party-loving son and heir Jago, who founded the arts festival, was found dead in the bath at the age of 40 in 2006 after suffering an epileptic fit.

The Duchy generated £31.4 million in the last financial year.

The land was put on the market, in nine lots worth a combined £4.7 million, last October by the 73-year-old earl, Peregrine Eliot. His party-loving son and heir Jago, who founded the arts festival, was found dead in the bath at the age of 40 in 2006 after suffering an epileptic fit.

Actually, from reading the article, I think this will be a marvelous investment for the Duchy of Cornwall. Its not only the fact that Charles is friends of the family, but also a way of preserving the arts festival itself. Charles is very much a keen , astute businessman so I'm apt to believe that if he thinks this is a good investment, it most likely is.

With money far from being a worry, the Prince of Wales asked the new owner of a quarry on his land to pay him something rather more novel than cold, hard cash for rent – a single daffodil.

The unusual ground rent is part of a deal for the Prince of Wales and Trewarmett Quarries, a historic site near Tintagel in north Cornwall.

The quarry was sold on behalf of the Duchy of Cornwall by land and property auctioneers Clive Emson.

It was listed with a guide price of £40,000 to £50,000, but the estimate was smashed when it fetched £81,000 at auction on Thursday.
More: Duchy does quarry deal - for a single daffodil as rent | Western Morning News

The Duke and Duchess of Cornwall begin a three-day visit to the Westcountry on Monday with a trip to Padstow.

It is the start of the Royal couple’s annual visit to the South West and to mark it the Western Morning News is rounding off a week of articles about the work of the Duchy of Cornwall with a world exclusive interview with His Royal Highness.

Philip Bowern put the questions on a range of issues, from farming to the environment, housing and conservation to the Prince, who granted the WMN one of only a handful of interviews that he has given this year.
More: Prince Charkes Duchy of Cornwall farming | Western Morning News

..there is evidence that Roman rule was not that effective, in Cornwall, then it's history goes on to Norman Conquest, ok so then William the Conqueror and his brother were the biggest land owners and that's where the to this day modern day relevance comes in for duke or duchess of Cornwall. What a nice little bit of ancient history meets modern day splendor. The history is real rich.

Cornwall was quite an isolated English county, Thumbahlina, until the later part of the 19th century, after the railways arrived. The Cornish were very independent and believed that England began once the river Tamar had been crossed! It was a place of small villages and tin mining and pilchard fishermen and had its own language, which was similar to Breton.

... How so? I wonder why... excuse my ingnorance on the matter, but isn't maybe partly because these products come from Commonwealth countries?

If you read the lists of country origins at the bottom of the article, it's not just Commonwealth countries.

My guess is that because of the emphasis on organic, British farms aren't able to meet the demand that Duchy Organic has; the article says that they try to buy as much British as they can.

Think about it - if you need 100 kilos of organic carrots, and British farms are only able to provide you with 50 kilos, you have to get the other 50 from somewhere else (the numbers here are obviously made up).

so the question becomes, which is better, locally sourced or organic?

so the question becomes, which is better, locally sourced or organic?

Why not both? I eat mostly organic, buy local when things are in season but eat food sourced from other areas where it makes sense. (No ones finding locally sourced pineapple in February in Massachusetts for example)

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I hope Charles and his solicitors prevail

The Prince of Wales is fighting a move that would force him to open up the Duchy of Cornwall, his 700-year-old private estate, to public scrutiny, arguing that it is not a public authority.

The dispute centres on how millions of oysters are farmed on the Helford River, near Falmouth, Cornwall, which is owned by the Duchy.

In 2011, an Information Rights Tribunal ruled that the Duchy was no longer exempt from freedom of information laws and must therefore disclose information on activity that impacts the environment under Environmental Information Regulations.

However, the Duchy, which last year provided the Prince with an income of nearly £20 million, lodged an appeal before successfully applying for a stay of proceedings while a test case concerning whether private bodies can be treated as “hybrids” of private and public bodies was heard in the European Court.
Read more: Prince of Wales 'should not have to open up Duchy of Cornwall to public scrutiny' - Telegraph

Duke of Cambridge could turn Royal estate properties into houses for the homeless

Archive

The Duke of Cambridge*is looking into using Duchy of Cornwall properties to house the homeless, as he seeks to provide practical help as well as royal patronage.

(...)

While under Prince Charles it has become best-known for its rural and agricultural projects, while it also owns land in London.

Historically, the estate built residential and commercial properties in Kennington, selling off some sites in the 1920s and 30s to the armed forces. In 1990, the majority of the residential stock was sold to a housing association and the Duchy currently owns 16 flats and 23 houses.

It also owns the Oval, and a commercial portfolio of 18 properties which is valued at £124 million.

Members of the Royal Family regularly face criticism for being patrons of charities and delivering well-intentioned speeches about social issues and the environment, while living in large palaces with inherited fortunes.

Prince William is understood to have been considering how to build on his father’s legacy to make use of the Duchy’s buildings for several years, and has become particularly concerned about the problems facing homeless people during the Covid-19 pandemic.

(...)

:previous: Thank you for the link to the article Yukari.

I'm very curious to see what properties in London, Cornwall and other counties could be possible candidates. I'm sure that they'd need to be in a location with access to transportation, health care, education and possible employment.

[FONT=&quot]While under Prince Charles it has become best-known for its rural and agricultural projects, while it also owns land in London.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Historically, the estate built residential and commercial properties in Kennington, selling off some sites in the 1920s and 30s to the armed forces. In 1990, the majority of the residential stock was sold to a housing association and the Duchy currently owns 16 flats and 23 houses.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It also owns the Oval, and a commercial portfolio of 18 properties which is valued at £124 million.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Members of the Royal Family regularly face criticism for being patrons of charities and delivering well-intentioned speeches about social issues and the environment, while living in large palaces with inherited fortunes.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Prince William is understood to have been considering how to build on his father’s legacy to make use of the Duchy’s buildings for several years, and has become particularly concerned about the problems facing homeless people during the Covid-19 pandemic.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]During lockdown, he held a meeting with Robert Jenrick MP, then Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government, and Dame Louise Casey, chairman of HM Government's Covid-19 Rough Sleeping Response Taskforce, as well as speaking to young people helped by Centrepoint.[/FONT]

Back
Top Bottom