The Duchess of Cornwall Current Events 8: July-September 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Avalon

Heir Apparent
City
Yerevan
Country
Armenia
Camilla.jpg

Arms of HRH The Duchess of Cornwall

Welcome to Part 8 of the current events of
the Duchess of Cornwall

it commences on July 10, 2007

Part 7, covering the period from May 4 to July 10, 2007
can be found here

Last edited:
So, I've been reading Richard Kay's article about Camilla's need for advice as to whether she should attend Diana's memorial.

New cancer agony for Camilla's ex | the Daily Mail

I think it's up to Diana's sons as to whether she should attend. And if she doesn't show up, it will be interpreted as a snub to Diana's memory (and everybody would be talking about it -- she'd be what we in the U.S. call "the elephant in the room"). But if she does show up, it will be the same thing, "how dare Camilla show her face here". Camilla really can't win in the court of public opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
She is attending. Isn't she? So what's the issue?

I don't think there should be an issue, BeatrixFan. Harry and William obviously put her on the list... therefore, she should go.

Princes William and Harry have made it pretty clear that they are pleased with HRH The Duchess of Cornwall as their step-mother, and they are thrilled (their own words) that she makes their father happy as well. Camilla has been invited to the memorial, so if the children of Princess Diana have no problem with Camilla's presence at the memorial, why are we even discussing it? It's a non-issue if we look at it from Prince Willliam and Prince Harry's point of view.

Camilla was invited by both princes and I don't see the problem. Wouldn't it be insulting to them if she didn't? It's the haters that won't let Diana rest in peace. The gesture surely shows that the princes harbour no hate; Camilla is a beloved member of their family. They hold no resentment and it's about time the public followed suit.

Richard Kay seems to just be trying to rally the Diana faithful and stir up feelings against Camilla in that article. I hope people see it for what it really is.

I added a comment to that article of his, complimenting him on a nice hatchet job. Wonder if they'll print it....:D

My friends and I have sent 3 since the article went online, but they seem reluctant to put any positive comments on Camilla going. They were all polite! :lol:

Interesting. So as well as publishing biased articles, they're censoring comments so that only one side is heard. Very impressive :rolleyes:

Well, TRF has a wide circulation too, so people reading this thread will know what the Mail is up to, if they didn't already.

Add me to the censored opinions list - I've sent an opinion (definitely polite and nice) and it was not published as well. That's what I call censorship! :D ;)

A very interesting article, thank you cde. :flowers:

If there's any strategy, it seems to consist of harnessing qualities she already has: warmth, good humour, unforced cheerfulness, and an ability to tease the Prince of Wales out of his grumps.
'It is famously said of the Prince of Wales that he was born with a headache," says their biographer, Gyles Brandreth. "If so, she is his daily Anadin.
I love this quote, Royal Anadin. :D
Warm, humourous, cheerful - that's what I think of the Duchess and that's what I see everyday on her official engagements. :)

The effect of her on Charles can be summed up in one word: happiness," says one of their friends. "He is a very happy man and he obviously was not before. I was full of admiration for what Diana did but they were not suited and were not happy together, probably ever.

And this summarizes pretty much what personally I think of Charles, Camilla & Diana.

None of their friends thinks she will have any qualms about it. "If that's want the boys want, I'm sure she'll be happy to go," said Brandreth.
And another quote about the Diana Memorial Service I completely agree with: if William and Harry invited her, then they wanted her to be there. If that's what they want, she will be happy to support them to the best of their abilities. :)

A very nice article (finally!) about HRH. THe fact that public opinion has changed so greatly is a testament to the person Camilla actually is--not the evil personna that she was made out to be. Kudos to Camilla!

" The more sensitive issue is the Coronation. It would be perfectly possible to have a Coronation in which she would have a role of some kind but would not be crowned Queen. She would stand there in the same way as the Duke of Edinburgh did."

That's interesting. Is it saying that she could be Queen but choose not to be crowned?

Thank you cde for posting this article!
After all that rubbish from the Daily Mail, it soothes my troubled soul...:D

I think the suggestion that Camilla be present at the Coronation of Charles but not be crowned herself (like the Duke of Edinburgh) is probably the most sensible middle ground to be found. What do others think?

at last a good, nice en well informed article about our Dear Duchess...Richard Kay should read it.

I think the suggestion that Camilla be present at the Coronation of Charles but not be crowned herself (like the Duke of Edinburgh) is probably the most sensible middle ground to be found. What do others think?

If Parliament and the Crown Commonwealth agree to pass legislation stating Camilla will not hold the style, title and rank of Queen Consort, but instead be created HRH The Princess Consort by The Sovereign, then a role similar to Prince Philip's would be appropriate at the Coronation.

If not, then she will be crowned Queen Consort right after Charles is crowned King.

That's interesting. Is it saying that she could be Queen but choose not to be crowned?

Which is ridiculous and unlikely to happen. If she is Queen, then she will be crowned Queen like her predecessors were at the Coronation.

Wives take the title of the husband, do they not? We had Queen Alexandra, Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth (Queen Mother), and countless Queen Consorts before them. Why would there be such a break in precedence? Because of Diana? By then it won't really matter that much. I think the whole Princess Consort title is ridiculous, and I also think a lesser title is an insult. She will be as much a queen as any other Queen Consort by law (unless Parliament changes something--which they likely won't). And why would she choose not to be crowned? I can't see anyone choosing not to be crowned. Do we think that Prince William's wife, upon his ascension to the throne, would want to just be known as something else? Probably not. THe relationship between Charles and Camilla needs to be respected and acknowledged--that includes Camilla becoming HRH Queen Camilla upon King Charles III's ascension to the throne. Until then, God Save the Queen. (Even though I'm not technically British my grandparents were so I claim it).

Why it´s finally acceptable for me to share Camilla´s name
July 15, by Camilla Tominey

If i had a pound for every joker who has asked if my surname is Parker Bowles or enquired after Prince Charles, i´d almost as rich as him.

Sunday Express: The World's Greatest Newspaper :: News / Showbiz :: Why it's finally acceptable for me to share Camilla's name

Sorry but how can not crowning our Queen possibly be a good idea? It's an idiotic idea thought up by the uneducated and pretentious. She will be Queen and what's more she'll wear a Queen's crown. And that my dears, is that.

Sorry but how can not crowning our Queen possibly be a good idea? It's an idiotic idea thought up by the uneducated and pretentious. She will be Queen and what's more she'll wear a Queen's crown. And that my dears, is that.

=======================

There is no doubt that a queen ought to be crowned. However, as public opinion currently stands, the vast majority of Britons do not find Camilla suitable to be Queen Consort - which is why the "Princess Consort" title was cooked up by Clarence House. Whilst I personally accept that Camilla will make a good Queen, I cannot see Charles and Buck House be willing to go against such strong public opinion. :bang:

I think there is a degree of duplicity in the public´s view of how politicians and the BRF are expected to behave - in a country where about 1/3 of all children are born outside wedlock, I can´t see why Camilla can´t be Queen - but lets not forget the monarchy exists because the public want it to, and the day they decide against it, Buckingham Palace will become an amusement park. Charles ought to be wise enough to understand this, and not force a Queen Camilla unless people want it.

However, as public opinion currently stands, the vast majority of Britons do not find Camilla suitable to be Queen Consort.
Do you have any recent evidence of this statement? The only recent poll I have seen is the one in the 'Diana Express', where members of the Diana fan club could phone/vote online as many times as they wanted. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom