The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Old 10-12-2022, 09:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

The CC finally is recording that Liz Truss has taken the oath of office at PM. That was supposed to happen at the Privy Council meeting that was cancelled the day before the late Queen died.

From the CC
The Rt Hon Elizabeth Truss MP took the Oath of Office, kissed hands upon appointment and received the Seals of Office as First Lord of the Treasury.

She had been asked to form a government by the late Queen but hadn't taken the oath of office until now.
Old 10-12-2022, 09:47 PM
Heir Apparent

This series of events must be a first.
Old 10-13-2022, 10:24 AM
Administrator

King Charles re-opened the Burrell Collection at Pollok Country Park in Glasgow today, October 13:

** pa images gallery **

Old 10-13-2022, 12:41 PM
Majesty

King Charles III under fire for breaching protocol at weekly meeting with the PM.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/1682237/king-charles-under-fire-breaching-royal-protocol-liz-truss
Old 10-13-2022, 02:57 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
King Charles III under fire for breaching protocol at weekly meeting with the PM.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal...ocol-liz-truss
What a load of nonsense
Old 10-14-2022, 12:47 AM
Serene Highness

I just read in one of the UK newspapers (a real one) that King Charles supports DNA testing on the human remains found at the Tower of London. There has been heavy speculation for many years that it was the Two Princes who were supposedly done away with by Richard III.

I applaud HM for this. His enthusiasm for British heritage will be great for the UK.
Old 10-14-2022, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal...ocol-liz-truss
The "dear oh dear" has gone viral!
Old 10-14-2022, 08:16 AM
Royal Highness

AFAIK, it is not even known what the "dear oh dear" was about. Why he said it. So why the fuss?
Or is it that he is not supposed to say anything at all?
Old 10-14-2022, 08:58 AM
Imperial Majesty

Normally we don't hear much of what is said, if we see anything.

I think we heard Boris say something about how long it had been between face-to-face audiences and that was about it.

There was also something about the races when the late Queen met the Aussie PM (we continued with horse racing right through the covid lockdowns and evidently The Queen had been watching the races from Australia).

What the 'dear, oh dear' relates to we have no idea. As this is unusual to even see any of these meetings I hope this doesn't return the palace to not showing the King at some of his events 'in case'.

I would also hate for it to become the norm that The King says nothing until the cameras have gone.
Old 10-14-2022, 09:02 AM
Imperial Majesty

it woudl be a lot better if he said nothing. If he is a bit of a mutterer, who says things that are innocuous in themselves but easily picked up by a mike, better to keep the milkes off him.
Old 10-14-2022, 09:42 AM
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think this was known when the clip originally came out, but it was the second time that day that Liz Truss had been to the Palace to see him, as she had been sworn in as First Lord of the Treasury at a Privy Council meeting a few hours earlier. So he was probably just finding it lightly amusing that the woman he'd just seen and spoken to was already back again for an audience.
Old 10-14-2022, 10:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

The people who want/expect King Charles to rule in the same way and to have the exact same personality as his mother are going to have a lot to snipe about in the next few years.

Charles III is a warm, generous, broad minded man with exquisite manners (usually). But yeah he can also be impatient, self absorbed and perhaps a little rude. Even so, I don't believe his intent was to insult the PM by muttering under his breath his surprise at seeing her again.

Charles is who he is.The Queen is dead, long live the King. Leave him alone.

"If your dreams don't scare you, they are not big enough" Sir Sidney Poitier
1927-2022
Old 10-14-2022, 11:02 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
AFAIK, it is not even known what the "dear oh dear" was about. Why he said it. So why the fuss?
Or is it that he is not supposed to say anything at all?
The inference that some people made is that the "dear oh dear" meant an opinion on the recent performance of the PM, which has been disastrous. A more benign interpretation is that King was being sympathetic with Mrs Truss for the tough times she has had since becoming PM.

In any case, the King might not say or be heard saying anything that might be construed as partisan and that is why Charles III came under fire from the press.

BTW, Mrs Truss just fired her Finance Minister today and basically reversed her ill-fated Reaganite tax cut plans. Maybe the King gave her some sound advice at their private meetiing.
Old 10-14-2022, 11:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

It sounds to me as if it were just a joke because he’d already seen her once that day: he just meant “What, back again already?” It just came across badly, and the press have made something out of nothing.

Interesting suggestion about DNA testing the remains found in the Tower, if it could be done - presumably they’d need mitochondrial DNA from a maternal line descendant on the Woodville side, if there are any. I appreciate that people have qualms about the idea of digging up skeletons, and also that a positive ID wouldn’t solve the mystery of who (if anyone) killed the princes, but it’d solve part of the biggest mystery in English history.
Old 10-14-2022, 11:32 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
The people who want/expect King Charles to rule in the same way and to have the exact same personality as his mother are going to have a lot to snipe about in the next few years.

Charles III is a warm, generous, broad minded man with exquisite manners (usually). But yeah he can also be impatient, self absorbed and perhaps a little rude. Even so, I don't believe his intent was to insult the PM by muttering under his breath his surprise at seeing her again.

Exactly. To my knowledge, Charles and his mother did not have similar characters.
Elizabeth did it her way, Charles does it his way. I like them both and have felt for many years that Charles has been underestimated. I think he will start to grow into his own being king now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
It sounds to me as if it
were just a joke because he’d already seen her once that day: he just meant “What, back again already?” It just came across badly, and the press have made something out of nothing.

Interesting suggestion about DNA testing the remains found in the Tower, if it could be done - presumably they’d need mitochondrial DNA from a maternal line descendant on the Woodville side, if there are any. I appreciate that people have qualms about the idea of digging up skeletons, and also that a positive ID wouldn’t solve the mystery of who (if anyone) killed the princes, but it’d solve part of the biggest mystery in English history.
Reading wbenson's post, I take the "dear oh dear" as "what a nuisance for you to have to see me again". Self-effacing, really. Nothing to get worked up about.
Old 10-14-2022, 11:41 AM
Imperial Majesty

It could be read as Dear oh dear here she comes again... so best not to say anything.
Old 10-14-2022, 02:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post

I think this is wishful thinking. There will always be comparisons between King Charles and the late Queen. Especially given that the late Queen was such a master at diplomacy- knowing what to say, when to say it, and when to keep silent.

King Charles can be rude and very temperamental and will undoubtedly provide much fodder for the press (ie Pen-gate).

The reality is that his kingship will be very different and relatively short compared to his mother's. Does he really want his rule to be sprinkled with such gaffes?

The solution is simple take the mics off him for such meetings.
Old 10-14-2022, 03:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think the pen gate made him look to me like a real, besides royal, person. You should see me when I can't remember where I put my glasses, or the cell. Although I don't do the growl and teeth showing. The pen gate was that public frustration moment in a bad week of sad news for him and his family.

But as it happens when you lose someone, after the funeral and acceptance that life goes on, I see him calmer and more cautious without the need to fill silence with words. He's getting better at the job every event and I suspect the support of Queen Camilla, as his center of gravity, has a lot to do with this new Charles we are seen heading toward the coronation.
Old 10-14-2022, 03:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

I hope the press don't keep whipping up a fuss over every minor incident. It was something and nothing. With a woman, they tend to focus on her clothes, but they don't do that with male Royals.
Old 10-14-2022, 04:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
I hope the press don't keep whipping up a fuss over every minor incident. It was something and nothing.
Yes I agree. Storm in a teacup. It's not as if anyone knows what he actually meant anyway. Didn't the late queen make some comment about Chinese visitors once?

I think we'd only need to worry if The King started going "dear oh dear"whilst reading the speech from the throne!

Tags
charles iii, current events, king charles