Charles III, Current Events Part 1: September 2022-

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think the King might decide to spnd a lot more time in Scotland. When Belgium shared a King with the Netherlands the King spent 6 months in the Hague and 6 months in Brussels. The King might do something similar dividing his time between Edinburgh and London.

The only difference is that Scotland does not share a King with the UK. Scotland is a part of the UK. Extend that argument, the monarch should divide their year across 14 (or it it 15) Realms, and not be resident in any.

Charles, IMO, spends time in Scotland because he likes being at Birkhall, not because he should be seen to be spending time there.

I was going to ask if anyone knew if he was back in London yet? I am wondering if he will be staying st Clarence House House until his room is ready at Buckingham palace. As I have no idea how far along the renovations have progressed. Also if her Her Majesties suite was ready will they redecorate it to suit a King.
But then he may stay 40 minutes away at Windsor.
Dear oh dear what a decision to make! Which Palace or Castle should I stay in? Ha ha. I am pleased with my little cottage, decision taken care of.
I wish Charles all the best for his reign with Camilla alongside.

I don't think he is in a hurry to move out of Clarence House and into Buckingham Palace. I assume he'll wait until the renovations are over - and they can indeed use that time to adjust the (private) rooms to his liking.

I was going to ask if anyone knew if he was back in London yet? I am wondering if he will be staying st Clarence House House until his room is ready at Buckingham palace. As I have no idea how far along the renovations have progressed. Also if her Her Majesties suite was ready will they redecorate it to suit a King.
But then he may stay 40 minutes away at Windsor.
Dear oh dear what a decision to make! Which Palace or Castle should I stay in? Ha ha. I am pleased with my little cottage, decision taken care of.
I wish Charles all the best for his reign with Camilla alongside.

He was in Scotland on Sunday.

I see no reason for him to live at Windsor - somewhere he reportedly doesn't like and really doesn't want to move into at all - over CH which it just down the road from BP.

I suspect it will be CH until BP is ready during the week and Highgrove at the weekends. The Queen used to do BP during the week and Windsor at weekends but I don't see Charles giving up Highgrove.

I also think he may spend more time in Scotland and less time at Sandringham so arrive at Sandringham a few days before Christmas and leave a day or so after to go to Birkhall has he has done for the past decade or so.

He was in Scotland on Sunday.

I see no reason for him to live at Windsor - somewhere he reportedly doesn't like and really doesn't want to move into at all - over CH which it just down the road from BP.

I suspect it will be CH until BP is ready during the week and Highgrove at the weekends. The Queen used to do BP during the week and Windsor at weekends but I don't see Charles giving up Highgrove.

I also think he may spend more time in Scotland and less time at Sandringham so arrive at Sandringham a few days before Christmas and leave a day or so after to go to Birkhall has he has done for the past decade or so.

That all makes sense to me. And the Prince and Princess of Wales being based at Windsor and doing engagements there keeps the castle as a working residence. I think changes to living arrangements probably won’t start happening until after the coronation.

The only difference is that Scotland does not share a King with the UK. Scotland is a part of the UK. Extend that argument, the monarch should divide their year across 14 (or it it 15) Realms, and not be resident in any.

Charles, IMO, spends time in Scotland because he likes being at Birkhall, not because he should be seen to be spending time there.

The other 15 realms are a different matter. Scotland and England are the kingdoms that were united and it was a Scottish King who took over the English throne. Scotland is the elder member of the union being the older country and the older monarchy. In fact, the oldest monarchy in Europe. The King is sensitive to this, far more so than the late Queen was. She was brought up in a time when England regarded herself as the boss of the union and payed no attention to Scotland, or the other countries for that matter. Even the royals spoke about England when they actually talking about the UK, and an annual one week stay at Holyrood was regarded as enough. Times have changed, and the other countries within these islands expect more.

I would think he’ll continue to spend a lot of time at Highgrove and Birkhall, although that’ll leave Windsor Castle unoccupied. Decisions, decisions!

This evening, October 12, King Charles had his first weekly audience with Prime Minister Liz Truss:

** Pic ** video **

Last edited:
The PM's curtsy is quite the thing. I feel as if she is always about to tumble forward. A simply bow of her head would be more elegant.

The CC finally is recording that Liz Truss has taken the oath of office at PM. That was supposed to happen at the Privy Council meeting that was cancelled the day before the late Queen died.

From the CC
The Rt Hon Elizabeth Truss MP took the Oath of Office, kissed hands upon appointment and received the Seals of Office as First Lord of the Treasury.

She had been asked to form a government by the late Queen but hadn't taken the oath of office until now.

This series of events must be a first.

King Charles re-opened the Burrell Collection at Pollok Country Park in Glasgow today, October 13:

** pa images gallery **

Last edited:
I just read in one of the UK newspapers (a real one) that King Charles supports DNA testing on the human remains found at the Tower of London. There has been heavy speculation for many years that it was the Two Princes who were supposedly done away with by Richard III.

I applaud HM for this. His enthusiasm for British heritage will be great for the UK.

AFAIK, it is not even known what the "dear oh dear" was about. Why he said it. So why the fuss?
Or is it that he is not supposed to say anything at all?

Normally we don't hear much of what is said, if we see anything.

I think we heard Boris say something about how long it had been between face-to-face audiences and that was about it.

There was also something about the races when the late Queen met the Aussie PM (we continued with horse racing right through the covid lockdowns and evidently The Queen had been watching the races from Australia).

What the 'dear, oh dear' relates to we have no idea. As this is unusual to even see any of these meetings I hope this doesn't return the palace to not showing the King at some of his events 'in case'.

I would also hate for it to become the norm that The King says nothing until the cameras have gone.

it woudl be a lot better if he said nothing. If he is a bit of a mutterer, who says things that are innocuous in themselves but easily picked up by a mike, better to keep the milkes off him.

I don't think this was known when the clip originally came out, but it was the second time that day that Liz Truss had been to the Palace to see him, as she had been sworn in as First Lord of the Treasury at a Privy Council meeting a few hours earlier. So he was probably just finding it lightly amusing that the woman he'd just seen and spoken to was already back again for an audience.

The people who want/expect King Charles to rule in the same way and to have the exact same personality as his mother are going to have a lot to snipe about in the next few years.

Charles III is a warm, generous, broad minded man with exquisite manners (usually). But yeah he can also be impatient, self absorbed and perhaps a little rude. Even so, I don't believe his intent was to insult the PM by muttering under his breath his surprise at seeing her again.

Charles is who he is.The Queen is dead, long live the King. Leave him alone.

AFAIK, it is not even known what the "dear oh dear" was about. Why he said it. So why the fuss?
Or is it that he is not supposed to say anything at all?

The inference that some people made is that the "dear oh dear" meant an opinion on the recent performance of the PM, which has been disastrous. A more benign interpretation is that King was being sympathetic with Mrs Truss for the tough times she has had since becoming PM.

In any case, the King might not say or be heard saying anything that might be construed as partisan and that is why Charles III came under fire from the press.

BTW, Mrs Truss just fired her Finance Minister today and basically reversed her ill-fated Reaganite tax cut plans. Maybe the King gave her some sound advice at their private meetiing.

Last edited:
It sounds to me as if it were just a joke because he’d already seen her once that day: he just meant “What, back again already?” It just came across badly, and the press have made something out of nothing.

Interesting suggestion about DNA testing the remains found in the Tower, if it could be done - presumably they’d need mitochondrial DNA from a maternal line descendant on the Woodville side, if there are any. I appreciate that people have qualms about the idea of digging up skeletons, and also that a positive ID wouldn’t solve the mystery of who (if anyone) killed the princes, but it’d solve part of the biggest mystery in English history.

The people who want/expect King Charles to rule in the same way and to have the exact same personality as his mother are going to have a lot to snipe about in the next few years.

Charles III is a warm, generous, broad minded man with exquisite manners (usually). But yeah he can also be impatient, self absorbed and perhaps a little rude. Even so, I don't believe his intent was to insult the PM by muttering under his breath his surprise at seeing her again.

Exactly. To my knowledge, Charles and his mother did not have similar characters.
Elizabeth did it her way, Charles does it his way. I like them both and have felt for many years that Charles has been underestimated. I think he will start to grow into his own being king now.

It sounds to me as if it
were just a joke because he’d already seen her once that day: he just meant “What, back again already?” It just came across badly, and the press have made something out of nothing.

Interesting suggestion about DNA testing the remains found in the Tower, if it could be done - presumably they’d need mitochondrial DNA from a maternal line descendant on the Woodville side, if there are any. I appreciate that people have qualms about the idea of digging up skeletons, and also that a positive ID wouldn’t solve the mystery of who (if anyone) killed the princes, but it’d solve part of the biggest mystery in English history.

Reading wbenson's post, I take the "dear oh dear" as "what a nuisance for you to have to see me again". Self-effacing, really. Nothing to get worked up about.

Last edited:
It could be read as Dear oh dear here she comes again... so best not to say anything.

I think this is wishful thinking. There will always be comparisons between King Charles and the late Queen. Especially given that the late Queen was such a master at diplomacy- knowing what to say, when to say it, and when to keep silent.

King Charles can be rude and very temperamental and will undoubtedly provide much fodder for the press (ie Pen-gate).

The reality is that his kingship will be very different and relatively short compared to his mother's. Does he really want his rule to be sprinkled with such gaffes?

The solution is simple take the mics off him for such meetings.

I think the pen gate made him look to me like a real, besides royal, person. You should see me when I can't remember where I put my glasses, or the cell. Although I don't do the growl and teeth showing. The pen gate was that public frustration moment in a bad week of sad news for him and his family.

But as it happens when you lose someone, after the funeral and acceptance that life goes on, I see him calmer and more cautious without the need to fill silence with words. He's getting better at the job every event and I suspect the support of Queen Camilla, as his center of gravity, has a lot to do with this new Charles we are seen heading toward the coronation.

Last edited:
I hope the press don't keep whipping up a fuss over every minor incident. It was something and nothing. With a woman, they tend to focus on her clothes, but they don't do that with male Royals.

I hope the press don't keep whipping up a fuss over every minor incident. It was something and nothing.

Yes I agree. Storm in a teacup. It's not as if anyone knows what he actually meant anyway. Didn't the late queen make some comment about Chinese visitors once?

I think we'd only need to worry if The King started going "dear oh dear"whilst reading the speech from the throne!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom