The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Old 10-05-2022, 07:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Also worth pointing out that the former PM (Johnson) made a point of pushing green policies and setting out a plan to achieve "net zero", even though there has not been a change of party the new PM (Truss) is much less bothered by green issues and achieving net zero. Thus what may have been a visit by an heir which also supports the governments policies and ambitions is now a visit by a new King that highlights an area that the government is less willing to promote and push.

Add to that the fact no British monarch has visited Egypt and becomes really quite understandable that Charles isn't visiting. Plus, with the leaking of it the royal PR team can claim it shows the long stated point that Charles will listen to government advice as Sovereign.
Old 10-05-2022, 08:40 PM
Serene Highness

I do love Arjen Lubach and his wonderful sense of humour, thank you for pointing out the many many options available to King Charles. Nevertheless, the King will stay at home grinding his teeth, Ms Truss will have to deal with the dental fall out!
Old 10-05-2022, 09:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Anyone who knows how these things work at the level of the monarch will know that NO overseas visit is ever undertaken without the express approval of the government so any decision to withdraw, unless for medical reasons, will always be because the government said 'no'. It is the way it works. The monarch has the least amount of rights in the UK as they can't say anything or do anything without the approval of the government of the day. Charles has had to give up his freedom of speech, his freedom of movement, certainly going overseas and many other things the rest of us take for granted.
Excluding the Commonwealth of course, and on personal holiday should they so choose. However, the way I see it (IMO) the new Prime Minister merely wanted to put King Charles II in his place, firmly under her personal thumb and failed to look deeper at what Cop27 means and the possible gains to the UK.

The reason I say this is that the movers and shakes of the world are present and Charles knows almost all of them. He has introduced government representatives to enable them to network to the advantage of sustainable trade (think British wool) and they have been facilitated by a man that is and was well before his time.

He, more than any UK monarch before him, is well aware of the constraints placed on him in his role as King of a Constitutional Monarch just as his mother, the late Queen did when she addresses the Cop26 meeting held in the UK.

Quote:
A speech by Her Majesty The Queen delivered via video message to the COP26 Evening Reception.

Thank you, Prime Minister Holness, for your kind words of introduction.

I am delighted to welcome you all to the 26th United Nations Climate Change Conference; and it is perhaps fitting that you have come together in Glasgow, once a heartland of the industrial revolution, but now a place to address climate change.

This is a duty I am especially happy to discharge, as the impact of the environment on human progress was a subject close to the heart of my dear late husband, Prince Philip, The Duke of Edinburgh.

I remember well that in 1969, he told an academic gathering:

“If the world pollution situation is not critical at the moment, it is as certain as anything can be, that the situation will become increasingly intolerable within a very short time … If we fail to cope with this challenge, all the other problems will pale into insignificance.”

It is a source of great pride to me that the leading role my husband played in encouraging people to protect our fragile planet, lives on through the work of our eldest son Charles and his eldest son William. I could not be more proud of them.

Indeed, I have drawn great comfort and inspiration from the relentless enthusiasm of people of all ages – especially the young – in calling for everyone to play their part.

In the coming days, the world has the chance to join in the shared objective of creating a safer, stabler future for our people and for the planet on which we depend.

None of us underestimates the challenges ahead: but history has shown that when nations come together in common cause, there is always room for hope. Working side by side, we have the ability to solve the most insurmountable problems and to triumph over the greatest of adversities.

For more than seventy years, I have been lucky to meet and to know many of the world’s great leaders. And I have perhaps come to understand a little about what made them special.

It has sometimes been observed that what leaders do for their people today is government and politics. But what they do for the people of tomorrow — that is statesmanship.

I, for one, hope that this conference will be one of those rare occasions where everyone will have the chance to rise above the politics of the moment and achieve true statesmanship.

It is the hope of many that the legacy of this summit – written in history books yet to be printed – will describe you as the leaders who did not pass up the opportunity; and that you answered the call of those future generations. That you left this conference as a community of nations with a determination, a desire, and a plan, to address the impact of climate change; and to recognise that the time for words has now moved to the time for action.

Of course, the benefits of such actions will not be there to enjoy for all of us here today: we none of us will live forever. But we are doing this not for ourselves but for our children and our children’s children, and those who will follow in their footsteps.

And so, I wish you every good fortune in this significant endeavour.
Pretty tame stuff, huh? Obviously, the PM did not trouble herself to look at the work done by Prince Philip as well as Charles to know that Climate Change is not just a political buzz work but the result of decades of sheer hard graft, putting their money where their mouths were and, in Philip's and now Charles cases, doing it within the constraints of the consecutive governments.
Old 10-06-2022, 12:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Anyone who knows how these things work at the level of the monarch will know that NO overseas visit is ever undertaken without the express approval of the government so any decision to withdraw, unless for medical reasons, will always be because the government said 'no'. It is the way it works. The monarch has the least amount of rights in the UK as they can't say anything or do anything without the approval of the government of the day. Charles has had to give up his freedom of speech, his freedom of movement, certainly going overseas and many other things the rest of us take for granted.
I read it as a security matter concerning his safety since he is, like QEII was, a major target for terrorists because of the symbolism for any group to injure or take their lives will create a chain reaction. Correct me if memory fails but his mother Queen EII survived at least three men trying to get into her private chambers to hurt her.

If he took off on a plane to, lest say have tea with Queen Margrette, mobilizing security that fast on both sides can make government doubt his ability to follow safety protocols. If Charles became a victim of an attack, other terrorist groups could see it as a challenge to dare take more lives of other heads of states.

Re his freedom of speech or freedom on anything, the sacrifice comes with the job. You can't be running your mouth on a TV show or acting in a comedy skit and the next minute being all Regal. When you are the head of state you represent the country, just like a CEO. Ok, bad example if we think of E Musk, but you know what I mean.
Old 10-06-2022, 02:07 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Excluding the Commonwealth of course, and on personal holiday should they so choose. However, the way I see it (IMO) the new Prime Minister merely wanted to put King Charles II in his place, firmly under her personal thumb and failed to look deeper at what Cop27 means and the possible gains to the UK.

The reason I say this is that the movers and shakes of the world are present and Charles knows almost all of them. He has introduced government representatives to enable them to network to the advantage of sustainable trade (think British wool) and they have been facilitated by a man that is and was well before his time.

He, more than any UK monarch before him, is well aware of the constraints placed on him in his role as King of a Constitutional Monarch just as his mother, the late Queen did when she addresses the Cop26 meeting held in the UK.
Here is my take. I think the world is in a very different place since COP26, with an ongoing war in Ukraine that shows no signs of ending any time soon, energy prices at record highs, inflation out of control, interest rates rising, slowing economies all around, a huge cost of living crises, so all in all, not a great position all around. The green agenda is clearly going to be put back by most governments for some time. My sense is that the PM did not want to expose HM to the embarrassment of being at an international event where the politics might possibly get messy.
Old 10-06-2022, 02:55 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Here is my take. I think the world is in a very different place since COP26, with an ongoing war in Ukraine that shows no signs of ending any time soon, energy prices at record highs, inflation out of control, interest rates rising, slowing economies all around, a huge cost of living crises, so all in all, not a great position all around. The green agenda is clearly going to be put back by most governments for some time. My sense is that the PM did not want to expose HM to the embarrassment of being at an international event where the politics might possibly get messy.
There is absolutely no way the green agenda should be pushed back. We don’t have the time.
Old 10-06-2022, 03:37 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by FigTree View Post
There is absolutely no way the green agenda should be pushed back. We don’t have the time.
The fact of the matter is that neither your, mine or the opinion of the King is being sought on the matter, it will be a decision for the government of the day. That is just the way it is. We elect MPs and governments, and they make these decisions on our behalf. The King has previous little to say on the matter, other than to warn and guide, and to ensure the constitution is upheld.
Old 10-06-2022, 04:14 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

How long will the king stay in Balmoral?
Old 10-06-2022, 04:28 AM
Imperial Majesty

Until he is ready to move south.

Based on past years he will probably return to London this weekend or early next. He has basically extended his normal Scottish time by the two weeks he had to be south due to the death of The Queen.

I wonder whether he will keep up his past routine:

First half of January in Scotland.

London until about a week or so before Easter and then about a month in Scotland.

Late July to Early August back to Scotland and stay there until early October.

Back to Scotland on Boxing Day or the day after (and even some years on Christmas Day itself).

For all the love the late Queen had for Scotland and Princess Anne clearly has for the country it is interesting that it is Charles who has traditionally spent about a third of the year there.
Old 10-06-2022, 04:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Until he is ready to move south.

Based on past years he will probably return to London this weekend or early next. He has basically extended his normal Scottish time by the two weeks he had to be south due to the death of The Queen.

I wonder whether he will keep up his past routine:

First half of January in Scotland.

London until about a week or so before Easter and then about a month in Scotland.

Late July to Early August back to Scotland and stay there until early October.

Back to Scotland on Boxing Day or the day after (and even some years on Christmas Day itself).

For all the love the late Queen had for Scotland and Princess Anne clearly has for the country it is interesting that it is Charles who has traditionally spent about a third of the year there.
I think the King might decide to spnd a lot more time in Scotland. When Belgium shared a King with the Netherlands the King spent 6 months in the Hague and 6 months in Brussels. The King might do something similar dividing his time between Edinburgh and London.
Old 10-07-2022, 02:24 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain View Post
I think the King might decide to spnd a lot more time in Scotland. When Belgium shared a King with the Netherlands the King spent 6 months in the Hague and 6 months in Brussels. The King might do something similar dividing his time between Edinburgh and London.
The only difference is that Scotland does not share a King with the UK. Scotland is a part of the UK. Extend that argument, the monarch should divide their year across 14 (or it it 15) Realms, and not be resident in any.

Charles, IMO, spends time in Scotland because he likes being at Birkhall, not because he should be seen to be spending time there.
Old 10-10-2022, 09:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

I was going to ask if anyone knew if he was back in London yet? I am wondering if he will be staying st Clarence House House until his room is ready at Buckingham palace. As I have no idea how far along the renovations have progressed. Also if her Her Majesties suite was ready will they redecorate it to suit a King.
But then he may stay 40 minutes away at Windsor.
Dear oh dear what a decision to make! Which Palace or Castle should I stay in? Ha ha. I am pleased with my little cottage, decision taken care of.
I wish Charles all the best for his reign with Camilla alongside.
Old 10-10-2022, 09:19 PM
Majesty

I don't think he is in a hurry to move out of Clarence House and into Buckingham Palace. I assume he'll wait until the renovations are over - and they can indeed use that time to adjust the (private) rooms to his liking.
Old 10-10-2022, 11:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
I was going to ask if anyone knew if he was back in London yet? I am wondering if he will be staying st Clarence House House until his room is ready at Buckingham palace. As I have no idea how far along the renovations have progressed. Also if her Her Majesties suite was ready will they redecorate it to suit a King.
But then he may stay 40 minutes away at Windsor.
Dear oh dear what a decision to make! Which Palace or Castle should I stay in? Ha ha. I am pleased with my little cottage, decision taken care of.
I wish Charles all the best for his reign with Camilla alongside.
He was in Scotland on Sunday.

I see no reason for him to live at Windsor - somewhere he reportedly doesn't like and really doesn't want to move into at all - over CH which it just down the road from BP.

I suspect it will be CH until BP is ready during the week and Highgrove at the weekends. The Queen used to do BP during the week and Windsor at weekends but I don't see Charles giving up Highgrove.

I also think he may spend more time in Scotland and less time at Sandringham so arrive at Sandringham a few days before Christmas and leave a day or so after to go to Birkhall has he has done for the past decade or so.
Old 10-10-2022, 11:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
He was in Scotland on Sunday.

I see no reason for him to live at Windsor - somewhere he reportedly doesn't like and really doesn't want to move into at all - over CH which it just down the road from BP.

I suspect it will be CH until BP is ready during the week and Highgrove at the weekends. The Queen used to do BP during the week and Windsor at weekends but I don't see Charles giving up Highgrove.

I also think he may spend more time in Scotland and less time at Sandringham so arrive at Sandringham a few days before Christmas and leave a day or so after to go to Birkhall has he has done for the past decade or so.

That all makes sense to me. And the Prince and Princess of Wales being based at Windsor and doing engagements there keeps the castle as a working residence. I think changes to living arrangements probably won’t start happening until after the coronation.
Old 10-11-2022, 07:08 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
The only difference is that Scotland does not share a King with the UK. Scotland is a part of the UK. Extend that argument, the monarch should divide their year across 14 (or it it 15) Realms, and not be resident in any.

Charles, IMO, spends time in Scotland because he likes being at Birkhall, not because he should be seen to be spending time there.
The other 15 realms are a different matter. Scotland and England are the kingdoms that were united and it was a Scottish King who took over the English throne. Scotland is the elder member of the union being the older country and the older monarchy. In fact, the oldest monarchy in Europe. The King is sensitive to this, far more so than the late Queen was. She was brought up in a time when England regarded herself as the boss of the union and payed no attention to Scotland, or the other countries for that matter. Even the royals spoke about England when they actually talking about the UK, and an annual one week stay at Holyrood was regarded as enough. Times have changed, and the other countries within these islands expect more.
Old 10-12-2022, 12:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

King Charles during an audience with the King Abdullah and Queen Azizah of Malaysia at Buckingham Palace today 12 October

https://www.paimages.co.uk/headline/1925121

https://www.rexfeatures.com/livefeed...n_of_malaysia?
Old 10-12-2022, 02:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

I would think he’ll continue to spend a lot of time at Highgrove and Birkhall, although that’ll leave Windsor Castle unoccupied. Decisions, decisions!
Old 10-12-2022, 03:33 PM
Administrator

This evening, October 12, King Charles had his first weekly audience with Prime Minister Liz Truss:

** Pic ** video **
Old 10-12-2022, 03:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

The PM's curtsy is quite the thing. I feel as if she is always about to tumble forward. A simply bow of her head would be more elegant.

Tags
charles iii, current events, king charles